Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Tua is a hell of a prospect, but I just don't see him doing well here. It'd be like Pat Mahomes all over again. He needs to sit for a year and learn behind a vet in an established system.

If Rivers were staying with the Chargers, that'd be a good fit. Learn behind him for a year.

So ... let’s hypothetically say that Haskins didn’t come out as a Redshirt Sophomore. Yes, let’s not forget he would be a Redshirt Junior entering this draft. 

For context, Joe Burrow is a R-Sr. So the equivalent for Haskins is he’d be in Columbus preparing for his final year this fall. 

What if this past season Haskins went back to gain more experience. Let’s say he repeated. Had 48 TDs and 6 ints as a junior after he put up 50/8 as a sophomore. 

Do you think he wouldn’t be in the discussion with Tua and Herbert right now? It would not shock me if there was a debate about Burrow Tua Haskins Herbert all being Top 5 picks. 

It’s just silly to me to sit here and listen to people want to move on from Haskins already when it was very clear he was going to need time to sit and grow as a pro. He got forced into early action and came around by the end and showed serious improvement.

He seems to me to have the it factor. I have no doubt had he gone back to OSU he would have had a huge year and be talked up in the same ballpark as Tua and Burrow in this draft. 

So yes, since we already have our QB, i think it’s a bit silly to move on from him and pass on an elite edge defender as a result.

Haskins beat out Burrow at OSU and entered the league as a 20 year old. Burrow is 23. Haskins has 2 more years before he catches Burrow in age. If supported and properly developed don’t you think he has just as much potential? 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So ... let’s hypothetically say that Haskins didn’t come out as a Redshirt Sophomore. Yes, let’s not forget he would be a Redshirt Junior entering this draft. 

For context, Joe Burrow is a R-Sr. So the equivalent for Haskins is he’d be in Columbus preparing for his final year this fall. 

What if this past season Haskins went back to gain more experience. Let’s say he repeated. Had 48 TDs and 6 ints as a junior after he put up 50/8 as a sophomore. 

Do you think he wouldn’t be in the discussion with Tua and Herbert right now? It would not shock me if there was a debate about Burrow Tua Haskins Herbert all being Top 5 picks. 

It’s just silly to me to sit here and listen to people want to move on from Haskins already when it was very clear he was going to need time to sit and grow as a pro. He got forced into early action and came around by the end and showed serious improvement.

He seems to me to have the it factor. I have no doubt had he gone back to OSU he would have had a huge year and be talked up in the same ballpark as Tua and Burrow in this draft. 

So yes, since we already have our QB, i think it’s a bit silly to move on from him and pass on an elite edge defender as a result.

Haskins beat out Burrow at OSU and entered the league as a 20 year old. Burrow is 23. Haskins has 2 more years before he catches Burrow in age. If supported and properly developed don’t you think he has just as much potential? 

Moving towards Tua, not away from Haskins. Tua has been graded, objectively, by scouts across the football community, for years, as a uniquely special prospect. The opportunity to grab a QB, who is thought of that highly, is incredibly rare. Burrow going nuts this year, a Tua injury, & a lob from Wentz, are the reasons we fluked into this opportunity. Wanting Tua isn’t a criticism of Haskins. 

I can't believe half the stuff I've read on the past few pages on this thread... 

I think we all know there is 0% chance the Redskins draft Tua... that's abundantly obvious. There's probably a 98.8% chance they take Chase at #2 and a 1.2% chance they trade back for additional picks.

Either way... no way the team is drafting a QB in round 1, and theres nothing to suggest they would

2 minutes ago, Drastik said:

I can't believe half the stuff I've read on the past few pages on this thread... 

I think we all know there is 0% chance the Redskins draft Tua... that's abundantly obvious. There's probably a 98.8% chance they take Chase at #2 and a 1.2% chance they trade back for additional picks.

Either way... no way the team is drafting a QB in round 1, and theres nothing to suggest they would

Other than having a staff unattached to DH .... meeting with Tua, of course.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This is actually one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of picking Haskins before the 2019 draft rolled around (that as well as mechanics issues, etc). Pretty much anyone who objectively evaluated him said that he was talented but would need time to adapt to the NFL after having so little experience in college. And I knew perfectly well that at least a decent portion of this fanbase would have none of it (even if they claimed they were fine with it when he was drafted). 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@mistertim pretty spot on. And combine that with going to a team that had a coach very clearly in his final year, barring a miracle, it seemed an odd pick at the time. But i liked it for the long term for sure, and still do especially after 2019 crashed down all over the place. 

Weak coaching staff, 1/8th of the cap on the IR, more of the cap sitting in Oklahoma, a *dreadful OL, no TE & zero WRs heading into the season. It’s always sunny in the Snyd-ill-eria.

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

Imagine this board if we had Alex Smith & then traded that years first, next years first, & a 3rd to move up & take a QB ....when we were only a couple pieces away. Heck, they were selecting 27th, they were already a great team, what idiots. 

At pick 10 KC had Jonathan Allen & Marshon Lattimore fall right into their laps ... they’re still looking for answers at CB, I wonder if they’ll survive passing on those studs for a QB. 

0263348F-3335-47F5-9D34-E970A0C89320.gif

They also would have won the SB if they paid Matt Moore nothing & spent that absurd JimmyG money on the roster. 

These quotes, of course, mean nothing at all.

Things that should stick in people's minds around here about Haskins:

Non football related issues: (Nothing detrimental, but these still shouldn't be ignored)

1. He fell to pick #15 after a stellar season.

2. Chose to go pro after it. Most QBs stay in school to refine their skills, Haskins definitely needed to do this imo. 

3. The non stop work ethic issues that we keep hearing about. Even now it seems like the Redskins are trying hard to sell us on how hard he is now working because they know that narrative needs to be flipped. 

Football issues:

1. Accuracy, everyone lauded at his accuracy and considered it a strength. I immediately noticed after watching him that his 70% number in college was due to scheme, not ball placement. He missed open receivers an unbelievable amount of times last year. The Detroit game in particular stands out. 

2. Decision-making. He tries to fit an awful lot of footballs in tight windows doesn't he? Some consider it brave, but it should also be considered reckless. 

3. Fundamentals. His footwork is a major work in progress and he'll need to improve on it massive amount to be quicker and more efficient when he drops back.

Tua? His injury history is the only concern. I think he's a franchise QB and I like him more than any QB in the last 2 drafts. The dude is amazing 

Some early morning reading lol....This is where many fans left off with Haskins before he got injured and before the Tua talk started up:

On 12/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, Fred Jones said:

Wow, great pocket running by DH and great throw.  Have to say he is looking better and developing.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, slinky said:

haskins looked brilliant on that drive.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, dc1 said:

Yeah!!  

It all came together for DH.

Legitimate QB play right there.  Best of the year for him!

On 12/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, Idaho fan said:

That was a beautiful clutch pass.  

that was A very impressive drive by Haskins.  

On 12/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, pico926 said:

Man Haskins looking REALLY good on that drive. Perfect execution!

On 12/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, Simmsy said:

Just think if we had played this kid from the beginning? Maybe fire Jay too...

On 12/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Haskins gets noticeably better every week.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I certainly think with the right coaching and personnel around him, Haskins is a legitimate NFL QB.  

Is he a top 5 QB?  Don’t know.  

But he was ignored for 5 months and now he looks competent. 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, JSSkinz said:

So relieving to see Haskins come out and pick up right where he left off last week.  He's developing week by week.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, dyst said:

Nice drive. Haskins looking better and better. Thank goodness the coaches were forced to played Sims

On 12/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, Destino said:

Haskins is picking up where he left off last week.  Looks like a completely different QB than we saw earlier this season.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  

On 12/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, clskinsfan said:

Exactly what we should be seeing. We can end all of the drafting a QB in the 1st round talk now. You dont give up on a guy who has progressed like this. 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, Thinking Skins said:

Competent, he at least looks like the best thing we've had since Cousins. 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, Fred Jones said:

Have to say that what bothered me most about DH this season was his accuracy.  That has improved as the season has progressed.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, Apollian said:

Here's the joke, Haskins is hitting his ball placements perfectly. his hitting to many targets that the Giants don't know where the ball is going.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, OVCChairman said:

HOW BOUT DWAYNE HASKINS!

On 12/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, Springfield said:

Damn, that was a nicely placed throw there.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Gibbs828791 said:

Its the Giants but I cant believe what I am seeing from Haskins

On 12/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Idaho fan said:

I am astonished.  Haskins looks incredible.   I understand it’s the Giants but he had quick pressure up the middle On that play and he made a difficult read to find a receiver in the back corner of the end zone.  Wow

On 12/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Csup said:

The young Haskins playing lights out today. [...]

On 12/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, D’Pablo said:

Is it time to start calling out our toxic fans that were ready to give up on Haskins after one game?

On 12/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, Hooper said:

He does things you can’t teach.

His football instincts are exceptional. 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, GhostofSparta said:

I know it's just the Giants, and they're awful too, but Haskins looks massively improved over his earlier play this year. I really hope this is a good sign of things to come.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, IrepDC said:

This is the 2nd week in a row the ball hasn't touched the ground in the first quarter. Haskins starts games hot. I like it.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, UKskins said:

Wonder if that dick who does nothing about **** about how Haskins is a bum and he called it from his college play is watching this? Suspect we won’t see him posting much today.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, Gibbs828791 said:

One of them was me, so here is your post, I couldnt of imagined him looking this good to be honest.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, Newera said:

Both these young qbs are good.   I think Haskins is more lethal.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is actually one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of picking Haskins before the 2019 draft rolled around (that as well as mechanics issues, etc). Pretty much anyone who objectively evaluated him said that he was talented but would need time to adapt to the NFL after having so little experience in college. And I knew perfectly well that at least a decent portion of this fanbase would have none of it (even if they claimed they were fine with it when he was drafted). 

I brought up my see sawing opinion on Kirk until 2015 as an analogy to this and for me with Kirk I wanted to see him conquer his interception issues, in my book ultimately he did indeed do so but it took some time, once that happened I had his back.   The Haskins ride to me thus far is similar.  Back and forth.    RG3 I was taking by from the get go.  Campbell I had some back and forth with, too. 

I was back and forth on Haskins even pre-draft turning more negative on him when the draft got closer.  My main issue with Haskins in college was his pocket presence-mobility under pressure and ability to throw on the move.  In camp when I watched him he was on fire one day but fairly poor the other days -- he really struggled with short out routes in particular but his mobility looked much improved.  In the pros, he didn't look hot but then he did in the last two games.  

I think for me what's left is I want to hear that the dude is working.  I've heard too many narratives that he doesn't do that enough.  But like I've been saying I suspect he will this off season with Doug and all those on his back.  I don't know if Kyle Smith is playing good cop to everybody's bad cop yesterday but at least for me what he said was reassuring because I do think if the dude works hard he could be really good.

As for Tua, I get @volsmet's point.    I've been a big Tua guy for some time.  If he's healthy, I think he has special ability.  I've seen him play multiple times live.  And if he's the next Drew Brees or as Saban says is the next Aaron Rodgers, it's not a crazy idea to take him.   Depending IMO on 3 points.

A.  Our scouts see him just like Saban does

B.  Injury concerns aren't that big

C.  They don't see Haskins ceiling the same way

As I said on the draft thread, I don't have the answer to any of this but trust Kyle on it one way or another.  If they think Haskins is going to be rock star good, then keep riding that.  If they are unsure but are more confident in Tua, then you ride that.  But I do agree with the point being made here that you don't ignore a potentially great QB in the draft just because you got another young QB if you don't see the bird at hand in house being potentially great.  But I don't know what they internally think of Haskins on that count one way or another. 

Bringing this back to Kirk, I liked Kirk more than most here.  He was a young dude in 2017 still and a good QB IMO.  Yet, imagine below?  I think that's the narrative if they see things this way which again I don't know obviously if they do one way or another.

I'd like to know, as prospects, where people rank the following:

Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Tua, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Will Grier, Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow.

I don't understand, why, as a prospect, people have Dwayne ranked as highly as they do Tua. It just doesn't add up to me. And that's not to say Haskins isn't a capable prospect - he is. But he's he's not in the same stratosphere prospect wise as Tua is. It's like comparing Montez Sweat to Chase Young and Nick Bosa. And people know, I'm really high on Sweat. I think the guy can be great. But he isn't going to be Young or Nick Bosa. 

For the record, my ranking:

1. Tua

2. Joe Burrow

3. Kyler Murray

4. Sam Darnold

5. Baker Mayfield

6. Josh Allen

7. Lamar Jackson

8. Justin Herbert

9. Dwayne Haskins

10. Drew Lock

11. Daniel Jones

12. Will Grier

I think all of those QBs could turn out to be good ones (though, not sold on Will Grier at all). And I think Josh Allen is going to be a good QB in the sense that he will never be top tier and demand the biggest contract, and will lose some games, but will also win some games and give you a chance to be competitive. But, in retrospect I probably had him too high. 

Haskins played well his final 2 games. But context matters in these discussions. It was against weak defenses. But to counter my own point about context - it was also the point where he was beginning to put it together and gel with the scheme.

Unfortunately, this new regime is not tied to that scheme or Dwayne Haskins. And Haskins has to learn a new scheme.

I am not saying throw him out. I was impressed his final 2 games, for sure. He looked much better. I'm not sure if it's Fool's gold or a sign of things to come.

I just keep pushing this Tua thing NOT because I think it's a definitive selection. His injuries make it difficult to say so. Reflecting the injury situation a bit more Tua could be anywhere between 1 and 3 on my list. I just think it's a point and discussion that has merit. And dismissing it just makes it seem like there are blinders on. 

I want to bold this, to make it clear: I am NOT condemnin Dwayne Haskins. I am NOT saying he can't be successful. I am NOT saying he has no chance. I am saying that I think we can upgrade there. I'm not sure if the upgrade at QB, being an injury prone player, is better than a Chase Young selection. I'd need a lot more time to make that point definitively. 

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd like to know, as prospects, where people rank the following:

Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Tua, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Will Grier, Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow.

I don't understand, why, as a prospect, people have Dwayne ranked as highly as they do Tua. It just doesn't add up to me. And that's not to say Haskins isn't a capable prospect - he is. But he's he's not in the same stratosphere prospect wise as Tua is. It's like comparing Montez Sweat to Chase Young and Nick Bosa. And people know, I'm really high on Sweat. I think the guy can be great. But he isn't going to be Young or Nick Bosa. 

For the record, my ranking:

1. Tua

2. Joe Burrow

3. Kyler Murray

4. Sam Darnold

5. Baker Mayfield

6. Josh Allen

7. Lamar Jackson

8. Justin Herbert

9. Dwayne Haskins

10. Drew Lock

11. Daniel Jones

12. Will Grier

I think all of those QBs could turn out to be good ones (though, not sold on Will Grier at all). And I think Josh Allen is going to be a good QB in the sense that he will never be top tier and demand the biggest contract, and will lose some games, but will also win some games and give you a chance to be competitive. But, in retrospect I probably had him too high. 

Haskins played well his final 2 games. But context matters in these discussions. It was against weak defenses. But to counter my own point about context - it was also the point where he was beginning to put it together and gel with the scheme.

Unfortunately, this new regime is not tied to that scheme or Dwayne Haskins. And Haskins has to learn a new scheme.

I am not saying throw him out. I was impressed his final 2 games, for sure. He looked much better. I'm not sure if it's Fool's gold or a sign of things to come.

I just keep pushing this Tua thing NOT because I think it's a definitive selection. His injuries make it difficult to say so. Reflecting the injury situation a bit more Tua could be anywhere between 1 and 3 on my list. I just think it's a point and discussion that has merit. And dismissing it just makes it seem like there are blinders on. 

I want to bold this, to make it clear: I am NOT condemnin Dwayne Haskins. I am NOT saying he can't be successful. I am NOT saying he has no chance. I am saying that I think we can upgrade there. I'm not sure if the upgrade at QB, being an injury prone player, is better than a Chase Young selection. I'd need a lot more time to make that point definitively. 

I don't think Dwayne is "easy" to rank. Mainly due to his limited college experience 

But if you're just talking about pure talent (and I define that by ability to "spin it" and pocket presence) Dwayne's much higher on my list.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I don't think Dwayne is "easy" to rank. Mainly due to his limited college experience 

But if you're just talking about pure talent (and I define that by ability to "spin it" and pocket presence) Dwayne's much higher on my list.

Im talking total quarterback package. Arm strength, accuracy, mechanics, coverage reads, pro ability, pro system familiarity, maturity, leadership. The whole shabang.

If we’re talking the ability to throw the ball downfield? Haskins is among the top of the list. But quarterback is a position that is about more than that. A lot more.

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Some early morning reading lol....This is where many fans left off with Haskins before he got injured and before the Tua talk started up:

I am firmly in the camp of Haskins being our starting QB for 2020 with the door WIDE OPEN for him to earn that spot going forward.  

I've never been in favor of drafting Tua.

I have however been 100% in favor of Rivera / Smith having the control, and being in position to, be the ones to make that decision. 

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

MY PERSONAL STANCE is this.  What is the best TEAM for the Redskins?  

1. (most likely scenario) Haskins - QB1  / Draft Chase Young no. 2 overall

2. Draft Tua @ 2, trade Haskins and HOPEFULLY get a 2nd round pick

3. Haskins - QB1 / Trade back and draft multiple other positions (this is all dependent on what you get)

I don't think Haskins is the same prospect as Tua when we're looking at Football player v Football player.  That's only 1 piece of the puzzle.  We have to take (as you did) into account the injury, and potential concerns.  We also have to look at the team as a whole, vs assets given up for Tua, vs return on last years 1st round pick, vs margin of improvement of Tua over Haskins, vs using no 2 pick on Tua. 

If you think Tua is THAT much of an upgrade that it's worth punting away last years no. 15 pick for hopefully a 2nd AND passing on Chase Young... then that's a big jump for Tua.   I personally don't agree, but that's an interesting conversation to be had. 

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

MY PERSONAL STANCE is this.  What is the best TEAM for the Redskins?  

1. (most likely scenario) Haskins - QB1  / Draft Chase Young no. 2 overall

2. Draft Tua @ 2, trade Haskins and HOPEFULLY get a 2nd round pick

3. Haskins - QB1 / Trade back and draft multiple other positions (this is all dependent on what you get)

I don't think Haskins is the same prospect as Tua when we're looking at Football player v Football player.  That's only 1 piece of the puzzle.  We have to take (as you did) into account the injury, and potential concerns.  We also have to look at the team as a whole, vs assets given up for Tua, vs return on last years 1st round pick, vs margin of improvement of Tua over Haskins, vs using no 2 pick on Tua. 

If you think Tua is THAT much of an upgrade that it's worth punting away last years no. 15 pick for hopefully a 2nd AND passing on Chase Young... then that's a big jump for Tua.   I personally don't agree, but that's an interesting conversation to be had. 

I think IF he's healthy, Tua is the best QB prospect to come out in a long, long time. But how often is he healthy? Truly healthy? He's the one guy I would regret having passed on if he turns out well, but would understand doing it at the same time.

A healthy Tua is the absolute best option, in my mind. But again, that damn injury history is a significant concern.

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think IF he's healthy, Tua is the best QB prospect to come out in a long, long time. But how often is he healthy? Truly healthy? He's the one guy I would regret having passed on if he turns out well, but would understand doing it at the same time.

A healthy Tua is the absolute best option, in my mind. But again, that damn injury history is a significant concern.

So you’re saying Tua is a “generational” prospect?  😁

j/k of course

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

For this argument to make sense, Tua has to be worth Haskins (or what ever we would get in trade for him) and Chase Young. Is he? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

1. Tua

2. Joe Burrow

3. Kyler Murray

4. Sam Darnold

5. Baker Mayfield

6. Josh Allen

7. Lamar Jackson

8. Justin Herbert

9. Dwayne Haskins

10. Drew Lock

11. Daniel Jones

12. Will Grier

Haskins rates as a better prospect than Darnold, Herbert (who was not great last year), and Josh Allen. I think you have Jackson WAY too low. And my hot take--I am not sold on Burrow. I worry about fumbles with his hand size at this level, his arm strength is a question, and he is a one-year wonder. Those are legitimate questions.

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

For this argument to make sense, Tua has to be worth Haskins (or what ever we would get in trade for him) and Chase Young. Is he? I don't think so.

Haskins rates as a better prospect than Darnold, Herbert (who was not great last year), and Josh Allen. I think you have Jackson WAY too low. And my hot take--I am not sold on Burrow. I worry about fumbles with his hand size at this level, his arm strength is a question, and he is a one-year wonder. Those are legitimate questions.

For your first question, I think Tua is worth more than Haskins. Chase Young has nothing to do with it, despite what our fanbase thinks, he's not on the team yet :)

And if you are going to do it that way, it's really more Tua + Sweat/Kerrigan vs. Haskins + Young/Sweat. 

The second point, I'm using them as prospects out of college, not on top of what they've done as pros. 

But I do not think Haskins is as good of a prospect as Herbert, Darnold or Allen. His stats may say different, but his body of work and mechanics don't get reflected there. And those knocks were not an uncommon point in regards to Haskins in draft talks last year. I could see the argument for him being on equal grounds to Josh Allen, though. He's lightyears behind Herbert and Darnold as far as being pro ready and mechanics go. They both have the personalities of bricks, though. But they don't come out and say things that hurt the team either. I'm not sure what their teams think of them. But they seem to be respected at the very least. 

I think Burrow is a great prospect. I am worried about him as a pro long term. But he is a coach's kid, so he has a tremendous football IQ. If he can manage to get the locker room to like him I think he's going to be very good. 

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For your first question, I think Tua is worth more than Haskins. Chase Young has nothing to do with it, despite what our fanbase thinks, he's not on the team yet :)

However, in order to take Tua, we have to pass on Young. Therefore, we are giving up on both Haskins and Young.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But I do not think Haskins is as good of a prospect as Herbert, Darnold or Allen.

Herbet screams bust to me, I don't know why, he just does. Maybe it's Oregon in general--but Mariota was higher rated coming out, I think. Allen was not as good as Haskins coming out--he was less accurate than Haskins was (~56% comp??). Darnold probably was better coming out of college.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

However, in order to take Tua, we have to pass on Young. Therefore, we are giving up on both Haskins and Young.

Herbet screams bust to me, I don't know why, he just does. Maybe it's Oregon in general--but Mariota was higher rated coming out, I think. Allen was not as good as Haskins coming out--he was less accurate than Haskins was (~56% comp??). Darnold probably was better coming out of college.

You can't give up on someone you never had. He's not a Redskin.

I edited my above post right before you posted.

Archived