Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

22 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This should improve for Haskins next year:

Yikes it almost has too!

As it is now you need an electron microscope to see his percentile rank for sack avoidance, completion rate and interception avoidance. I wonder what his rankings would be if his last 6 quarters were extrapolated over 16 games?

One way or another this off season will make or break him. Lotta work to do.  Come on Simba!

But Turner knows it will take more than talent for Haskins to succeed. There were concerns with the previous staff about Haskins' commitment, starting in the spring and summer when multiple sources said he struggled to pick up the offense in part because coaches felt he wasn't doing enough away from the building.

However, coaches and players privately said he improved in that area as the season unfolded, particularly once he became the starter. One coach said Haskins started to see the extra work he did during the week pay off in games. They felt he had started to mature. There is more excitement from teammates surrounding Haskins after a strong finish -- he threw for a combined 394 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions over his final six quarters.

Rivera said he wanted Haskins to develop into more of a leader this offseason. Turner said players won't follow a quarterback if he's not putting in the work.

"If you're the last guy in, the first guy to leave, you don't have a mastery of the offense as a quarterback," Turner said, "and you try to tell somebody else what to do or try to step into a leadership-type role, it is not going to work and no one is going to listen to you."

He said he wanted his quarterback to know the offense like a coach. For Haskins, it will mean having to master a second NFL scheme in two years.

"He has to be able to present that on the field and present that confidence when he is running the show, and that takes work," Turner said. "Guys see when it is there and guys see when it is not. ... We had Cam Newton obviously as a rookie, I wasn't the quarterback coach, but I was part of that process. Then Teddy Bridgewater when we drafted him in Minnesota, he came in and owned the system. ... We will challenge [Haskins] to do that."

They'll also challenge him to attack down the field. The past two seasons, the Panthers ranked third in play-action pass attempts; the Redskins ranked 30th, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Carolina was second this past season; Washington ranked 29th.

Haskins completed 16-of-30 play-action passes for 270 yards and three touchdowns. In his last two games, he completed 6-of-9 for 163 yards and two scores. Coaches on the previous staff also felt they should run more of their quick passing game with him; Turner sees all of the possibilities.

While we are looking at his overall stats we have to consider that his first few outings were him subbing in an NFL game with no live game experience or repetitions with the receivers and lineman he was playing with. Who succeeds with that? When he finally got the starting job and 1st team reps he came out very flat mainly because these were basically his first real games . In those starts our team was already depleted from what little talent we had . After that he started to settle in. He didnt turn the ball over. We won some games. Then in philly he started to show. It wasnt mind blowing but the guy can make some talented throws. He was impressive as hell against the vagiants until he got hurt. Main point is I think once he received a fair shake he progressed every week. I dont know how good or bad he will be but to say he is already a bust is a foolish statement imo. Also to say hes gonna be great is a bit extreme. He's talented and has potential. #letitplayoutguys, #inronwetrust

I am encouraged by all of this. I almost make the whole maturity thing a wash his rookie year. Especially when you get to a job and your boss doesn’t even want you there. Doesn’t want to develop you. Of course you would feel and act disconnected. No surprise we slowly saw improvement once Gruden left. 

I think if Scott Turner truly embraces Haskins development this off-season we will all be very happy. This dude has talent. 

20 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

I am encouraged by all of this. I almost make the whole maturity thing a wash his rookie year. Especially when you get to a job and your boss doesn’t even want you there. Doesn’t want to develop you. Of course you would feel and act disconnected. No surprise we slowly saw improvement once Gruden left. 

I'm not encouraged by ANYTHING that questions Haskins work ethic or maturity.  It's a huge red-flag and certainly something Gruden would have picked up on that colored his judgement of the kid. Lack of commitment (at this level of competition) is a serious character flaw.  All we have left to hope for is Haskins has had some kind of epiphany because the man's character is deep-set at this this stage of the game.

There are lots of physically talented players (he’s gotta gun, but not much in the way of wheels). The key is this kid’s mental capacity. He’s not emoting a lot of maturity in that regard (IMO). I’m skeptical but seriously hopeful he works out because I feel like the franchise is married to this kid for at least another year. If he doesn’t pan, we’re back to square one. Defense alone isn’t going to get us back to respectability and playoffs. 

23 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thanks SIP.  Negatives:

I'm actually surprised he didn't take more sacks. Initially going through his progressions in the NFL had to have been completely foreign to him. It's a transition for any college QB, but his offense, talent around him and level of competition outside of the CFBP make it about a steep a learning curve as any pocket QB could face. 

Quotes like this make me feel better about any questions on Haskins maturity. I think he's already turned the corner on that concern and is motivated by the success he saw when he did so.

But Turner knows it will take more than talent for Haskins to succeed. There were concerns with the previous staff about Haskins' commitment, starting in the spring and summer when multiple sources said he struggled to pick up the offense in part because coaches felt he wasn't doing enough away from the building.

However, coaches and players privately said he improved in that area as the season unfolded, particularly once he became the starter. One coach said Haskins started to see the extra work he did during the week pay off in games. They felt he had started to mature. There is more excitement from teammates surrounding Haskins after a strong finish -- he threw for a combined 394 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions over his final six quarters.

I like the idea of a vertical passing game and hope it’s super aggressive to put fear into defenses and open the short passing game. Love that Sims took over the slot role, due to wanting Haskins to have speed, speed, and more speed on the field (think Chiefs and how the WRs compliment Mahomes arm talent). 

Many of us this season were Jack Del Rio (well after week 6 for me)

Speaking of coaches, I'm low key digging the quasi good-cop/bad-cop routine Rivera and Turner have going on with Haskins. Rivera praises but doesn't commit to him, which was like a splash of cold water to some people. While Turner gushes about him, while following up with he needs to be the most committed guy in the room.

It feels like they know how to thread the needle with the kid. Don't go so hard on him that you demoralize him and make him feel like this is Jay Gruden not wanting him all over again, but still challenge him and prick his comfort a little bit so he doesn't feel like that last game was his arrival onto the scene and he's good to go as is.

Plus it allows for Turner (and Zampese) to be his confidants, while Rivera maintains discipline. Watching these All or Nothing episodes with Carolina shows a great balance of holding discipline while building a relationship. I'm looking forward to seeing how they help Haskins develop.

19 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Many of us this season were Jack Del Rio (well after week 6 for me)

What was it like being Jack Del Rio? Did the food taste better? Did you use hair gel? Was it crowded in there since so many other people were Jack too?

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

What was it like being Jack Del Rio? Did the food taste better? Did you use hair gel? Was it crowded in there since so many other people were Jack too?

It felt schizophrenic. Like being Shooter McGavin in that fever dream in Happy Gilmore.

can anyone translate the JDR tweet for me?  Is he taking a dig at the previous coaching staff while molly coddling "Simba" ?  If so, I am obv not on board w/ that - throwing 50 TD's in college is irrelevant, look at the list of guys who have done it and you see several NFL busts.  He had known attitude and commitment issues last year as noted by multiple members of the coaching staff - handing him praise just because he "threw in" when he got his way (starting qb) is reinforcing bad behavior.  If we hadnt drafted a project headcase the staff would not have to play these mental games just to keep him invested, what a debacle DANNY BOY - thanks a bunch for another trash move causing organizational friction.  

What I wouldnt give for Burrow.

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

can anyone translate the JDR tweet for me?  Is he taking a dig at the previous coaching staff while molly coddling "Simba" ?  If so, I am obv not on board w/ that - throwing 50 TD's in college is irrelevant, look at the list of guys who have done it and you see several NFL busts.  He had known attitude and commitment issues last year as noted by multiple members of the coaching staff - handing him praise just because he "threw in" when he got his way (starting qb) is reinforcing bad behavior.  If we hadnt drafted a project headcase the staff would not have to play these mental games just to keep him invested, what a debacle DANNY BOY - thanks a bunch for another trash move causing organizational friction.  

What I wouldnt give for Burrow.

It’s gotta kill you that people that know what they are talking about might actually like him lol. 

Burrows will be drafted somewhere. I bet that team will have a board too! You never know might be a good move for everybody 

Archived