Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So basically people are more familiar with calling him Rivera and that’s why his first name was in quotations? 

yeah that's part of it, but also by putting it in quotes you're saying that you're using the other person's words.  The reason you're calling him Ron right now is only because the other person did it.  You're kind of mocking them being so familiar

9 minutes ago, carex said:

You're kind of mocking them being so familiar

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

The “someone who shall remain nameless” is projecting a sense of familiarity ad nauseum and damn sure stating conjecture as fact.  

16 minutes ago, carex said:

yeah that's part of it, but also by putting it in quotes you're saying that you're using the other person's words.  The reason you're calling him Ron right now is only because the other person did it.  You're kind of mocking them being so familiar

The reason I’m calling him Ron is because that’s his first name. Just like The reason I’ll call him rivera at times is because that’s his last name. Who the **** cares what people choose to call him 😂 

Lol holy crap are you all paranoid..I'm gonna start putting random words in quotes just to see what **** stirs up.

Hey...at least it put a different twist on the "Dwayne" Dissing...

I used the quotes because of someone else's comment, and discussions that happened in previous years.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

When people can’t win an argument on the merits they try to grasp at straws to win some imagined grievance they have. “You’re obviously biased because you choose to use the 3 letter first name of the coach but choose to be formal with the QB” or some a such nonsense. 😂😂😂

Can’t make this stuff up. The Redskins starting QB and his cult of groupies. Doesn’t even have to be starting. Colt Brennan was more of a cult leader than a QB at one point. 

I wonder how polarizing Teddy is going to be after we sign him...

What type of contract do you see the Skins giving Bridgewater?  Years/Average Per Year/Guaranteed Money

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

What type of contract do you see the Skins giving Bridgewater?  Years/Average Per Year/Guaranteed Money

3 year 60 million. Basically 2 year deal with guaranteed money around 38 million. Final year voidable. That’s the range he will command maybe more but not less.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

3 year 60 million. Basically 2 year deal with guaranteed money around 38 million. Final year voidable. That’s the range he will command maybe more but not less.

I can see the ties with Bridgewater being schooled/coached by Scott Turner for 2 years when he first came in the league.  The biggest question is whether RR wants to put that much money into a QB.  So many holes to fill and only so much money we have to fill them with.  

@RWJ

20 million is middle tier now. QB play derailed Ron’s career at Carolina. I don’t see how he doesn’t bring a vet capable of starting. I’m not talking about a backup but a legit dude. If you have every other position solidified  but don’t have a QB you’re still struggling.

He won’t be able to evaluate “Dwayne” or I should say his excellency the exalted Mr. Haskins second of his name, before free agency. So he has to acquire talent in March.

We will know for sure in a couple of months, unless he pulls a deal super bowl week for Cam. He’s got a $19 million number and the Panthers probably give him up for a 2021 7th rounder at this point. 

It’s going to be a wild ride. Should be an entertaining off season...

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

So I assume we're trading Dwayne?

No chance. I think Ron puts a plan in place for him and if he follows it he gets a shot. Ron’s just not going into the year with a single viable option at QB in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

@RWJ

20 million is middle tier now. QB play derailed Ron’s career at Carolina. I don’t see how he doesn’t bring a vet capable of starting. I’m not talking about a backup but a legit dude. If you have every other position solidified  but don’t have a QB you’re still struggling.

He won’t be able to evaluate “Dwayne” or I should say his excellency the exalted Mr. Haskins second of his name, before free agency. So he has to acquire talent in March.

We will know for sure in a couple of months, unless he pulls a deal super bowl week for Cam. He’s got a $19 million number and the Panthers probably give him up for a 2021 7th rounder at this point. 

It’s going to be a wild ride. Should be an entertaining off season...

For sure it will be a wild ride this FA period and am looking forward to the draft.  One thing to keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of Keenum but Scott Turner worked with him for 1 year in Minny so he might be on the list and would be less expensive.  Just saying.  I don't want a broken down Cam Newton now on our team.  

Just now, RWJ said:

For sure it will be a wild ride this FA period and am looking forward to the draft.  One thing to keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of Keenum but Scott Turner worked with him for 1 year in Minny so he might be on the list and would be less expensive.  Just saying.  I don't want a broken down Cam Newton now on our team.  

I didn’t want Gibbs to bring in a broke and broke down Mark Brunell who couldn’t retire because his money manger embezzled all his money and he had to play way past his expiration date, but Gibbs did.

Ron has already brought nearly the entire coaching staff over along with some of the front office. Ron has complete roster control. All the pro and college scouts report into him. He’s a relationship and loyalty guy. He hired the dude who fixed Drew Brees shoulder as our head of physical rehab.

Nothing would shock me at this point other than not bringing in someone else to compete. Maybe that’s Keenum, but I think it will be someone at a higher tier.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

I didn’t want Gibbs to bring in a broke and broke down Mark Brunell who couldn’t retire because his money manger embezzled all his money and he had to play way past his expiration date, but Gibbs did.

Ron has already brought nearly the entire coaching staff over along with some of the front office. Ron has complete roster control. All the pro and college scouts report into him. He’s a relationship and loyalty guy. He hired the dude who fixed Drew Brees shoulder as our head of physical rehab.

Nothing would shock me at this point other than not bringing in someone else to compete. Maybe that’s Keenum, but I think it will be someone at a higher tier.

Believe me I'd want someone with more skillset than Keenum.  

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I like calling him Ronny or Ron Ron.

Ron burgundy is my preferred name for him 😁 

if we go on a winning streak to start the season, i would love to see hundreds of Ron burgundy masks or cardboard face cutouts at the stadium at each game 😂😂😂 would be cool. 

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Believe me I'd want someone with more skillset than Keenum.  

Like who? You want to bring in Rivers? Eli?  :ols:

Bridgewater maybe but he'll probably cost a lot as he'll likely be the best young good QB available when all is said and done. But he'd have other suitors and would probably want to go somewhere where he'll be "the man" and they'll build around him, not somewhere where he'll be the competition to a 2nd year 1st round pick. Tannehill I see being re-signed by the Titans after balling out big time. Besides, I'm not convinced that his year wasn't a fluke or more of a result of coaching and game planning than Tannehill himself. A completely mediocre QB like that suddenly turning elite after 7 seasons doesn't feel right to me. 

9 hours ago, Xameil said:

Lol holy crap are you all paranoid..I'm gonna start putting random words in quotes just to see what **** stirs up.

Hey...at least it put a different twist on the "Dwayne" Dissing...

I used the quotes because of someone else's comment, and discussions that happened in previous years.

Dwayne? You mean, D? 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Tannehill I see being re-signed by the Titans after balling out big time. Besides, I'm not convinced that his year wasn't a fluke or more of a result of coaching and game planning than Tannehill himself. A completely mediocre QB like that suddenly turning elite after 7 seasons doesn't feel right to me. 

Or maybe lightning in a bottle? Happened with Keenum in Minnesota, then he went to Denver and looked like Al Bundy back there playing QB (and not against Polk High). I do think, though, that this speaks quite a lot to your point about coaching. Keenum had a good group of offensive coaches to tutor and guide him in Minnesota, along with a strong supporting cast of offensive players. Couldn't replicate that in Denver the following year. I hope Tannehill stays put, and hopefully continues on this trajectory. Mariota was always overrated, or perhaps he too needs to find (and hopefully maintain) the kind of perfect storm that Keenum had in Minnesota.

As for us, I think Rivera does bring in a vet who will have a legitimate shot at winning the starting job. There were some coaches on that staff this past season who thought he'd need at least 2 seasons of sitting, learning, and practicing before being ready to start. If Haskins starts developing, that's great for us moving forward. We'll find out part of the plan once March 18th hits.

We got over 21 million on the cap for Alex this year.  Thanks Bruce for the 3 plus year extension 😀.  so am doubting if they sign a veteran QB it would be for much.  I think Keenum is most likely the dude.  And I'd put money that Haskins beats him, will see.   I'd guess maybe Alex is a long shot to come back but if he did that would be real competition. 

Ron Rivera hasn’t said how he’ll approach Dwayne Haskins’s development, but his past offers clues

...Rivera didn’t say much about Haskins during his introductory news conference last week, aside from a refusal to anoint Haskins as his starting quarterback and saying Haskins “will have to step up and become a leader.” But he has already made one major decision central to Haskins’s development by hiring Scott Turner, with whom Rivera worked in Carolina, as his offensive coordinator, replacing the man most responsible for coaching Haskins during his rookie campaign, Kevin O’Connell.

He has also left a lot of clues about how he might handle Haskins in the way he approached Newton’s first seasons.

Rivera’s decision to start Newton was influenced by watching Andy Reid play Donovan McNabb as a rookie quarterback back when Reid was a new head coach in Philadelphia in 1999. Rivera was an assistant on Reid’s staff and considers his old boss a mentor. But he also had his own beliefs as an old-fashioned linebacker and former defensive coordinator.

“Andy is an offensive guy. Me, on the defensive side, I think you’ve got to put them out there and let them take their lumps,” Rivera said on the conference call. “But you’ve got to be supportive. You’ve got to be behind them. … You’ve got to be able to protect them and put playmakers around them to help out. That was one of the things we did consciously when I got here, something we reset and did in 2017 with our draft picks [by] going out and getting [running back] Christian McCaffrey and [wide receiver] Curtis Samuel right away, and what we did the following year [when] we drafted [wide receiver] D.J. Moore.”

Rivera brought it up on the call without being asked specifically about Haskins, and his words might have said something about the team he wants and the way he would like Haskins to lead. Rather than scold Haskins, he seemed to celebrate Haskins’s exuberance.

....“It was kind of fun to see [Haskins] took a selfie and he got a lot of grief for it,” Rivera said. “He’s young, he’s enthusiastic, he brings energy, and that’s the only thing you look for in your young quarterback is that he’s enthusiastic, that he is a guy who is going to bring some energy to the table.”

The hiring of Turner was a significant step, indicating Rivera believes the 37-year-old, who served as Carolina’s quarterbacks coach before Rivera’s firing and who replaced his father (and former Redskins head coach), Norv Turner, as the team’s offensive coordinator after it, is the right person to lead Washington’s offense. He and Washington’s next quarterbacks coach, expected to be Ken Zampese, will be most responsible for developing Haskins, a job that fell to the 34-year-old O’Connell for most of the 2019 season.

A long time remains before Rivera and Haskins step onto a field together. The new coach has to finish hiring his staff, and then there will be offseason meetings and conditioning before organized team activities in the spring. By then, Rivera will have gotten an idea of how practical a comeback by Alex Smith might be, and he will have decided on at least one veteran quarterback to compete with Haskins for the starting job. He will have a much clearer picture of the type of quarterback he thinks Haskins can become.

Until then, the best clues might come from a six-week-old conference call, back when Rivera coached another team and had no idea Dwayne Haskins would soon be playing for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/09/ron-rivera-hasnt-said-how-hell-approach-dwayne-haskins-development-his-past-offers-clues/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Like who? You want to bring in Rivers? Eli?  :ols:

Bridgewater maybe but he'll probably cost a lot as he'll likely be the best young good QB available when all is said and done. But he'd have other suitors and would probably want to go somewhere where he'll be "the man" and they'll build around him, not somewhere where he'll be the competition to a 2nd year 1st round pick. Tannehill I see being re-signed by the Titans after balling out big time. Besides, I'm not convinced that his year wasn't a fluke or more of a result of coaching and game planning than Tannehill himself. A completely mediocre QB like that suddenly turning elite after 7 seasons doesn't feel right to me. 

We may end up with Keenum or possibly Allen from Carolina.  However, Allen is an ERFA.  They would need to possibly swap picks in a round or send a lower end draft pick over for him.  He's use to the Turner system.  Who knows at this point.  :) 

Im fine with competition and i would honestly be ok with Bridgewater but we really need to put less assets into this QB position and more into the rest of the squad right now. To me the smart money is to use Haskins, good or bad, until Alex is off the books while we build the rest of the roster. Then if Haskins can be upgraded do that. To me thats the only option unless you think this roster is close, and I do not think its close. 

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I still think they're going to find a way to get Alex to retire.

But until then we have to assume his cap # is on the books.

I hope it happens that way but he sounds determined not to do that. 

The more I see them, the less I like big QB contracts. I almost think the best way to continued success is building a team any game manager could run, and then filling your QB position with talented players on rookie deals while drafting a guy you think could develop in the second or 3rd every other year or so. But thats all theoretical. No one risks picks on something like that. And getting rid of a good QB for money is a good way to lose your job if it doesnt work. 

@Llevron  Paying big money to the QB is a detriment to the team. This is something that @volsmet and I have both been saying for awhile now. 

The Patriots won with a guy many consider to be the greatest of all time. That guy, while paid well, is being paid less than:

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Aaron Rodgers

Jared Goff

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan 

Kirk Cousins

Jacoby Brissett

Jimmy Garoppolo

Matt Stafford

Drew Brees

Derek Carr

Alex Smith

Because Brady knew that monster contract money could be spent putting a team together around him. 

RE: Smith, part of me thinks it would be an incredible moment if he were to come in for relief, tear the league apart and change the entire story for his tenure in DC. It would be an awesome story. But then I realize the reality of that is similar to how real Star Wars is. :ols:

Archived