Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I believe zero the coaches say. They have been nothing but coach speak as it pertains to DH.

But, having said that, I am very excited to see if he has progressed. This is a tough test and if he can come out looking improved that’s a very good sign for the Washington Redskins.

Billy has a stout pass D. Run D? not so much.

Something tells me Callahan is not going to run the ball.  Likely its just our ongoing dysfunction thing, or love for Case thing, but going run heavy sure seems like a good idea for a kid in his first start vs any D, let alone the bills. See if you can establish the run and then dial up play action of course.   For all our recent success running the ball the last 3 games, I feel like play action hasn't been effective. I am not even sure its been tried.

I do want to see Haskins on the move early on, maybe a roll out and have him dive forward if the pattern is full.  Roll the pocket out and let him go deep to TMC.  Do a flea flicker. Something more than a 7 step drop sack/fumble to start the game.

Some beat guys have said Callahan's thing about wanting Keenum to start is partly (but not fully) driven by he wants to win now.  Ditto guys like Finlay-Sheehan have said they hear they want to show that this team can win with the current roster and want to end the season on a winning streak.

In theory, it all makes sense.  But this is a lost season.  IMO it should be now about developing Haskins.  I am not judging Haskins by wins or losses -- to me its about progress.

17 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

And just like that...I’m excited to watch a Redskins game this season. Let’s get it.

That’s how I feel. Expecting the worst hoping for the best. Agree with everyone that I want to see flashes, could care less about final stat line.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to just run some easy pass plays for your inexperienced guy? Give him some easy throws and let him get in a rhythm and then mix in some play action throws and intermediate or deep stuff. He showed he could make the throws downfield in preseason. 

I mean hell, we all remember rg3 first game against New Orleans where we started with nothing but wr screens and runs for the entire first drive but it worked and was easy for rg3. 

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Billy has a stout pass D. Run D? not so much.

Something tells me Callahan is not going to run the ball.  Likely its just our ongoing dysfunction thing, or love for Case thing, but going run heavy sure seems like a good idea for a kid in his first start vs any D, let alone the bills. See if you can establish the run and then dial up play action of course.   For all our recent success running the ball the last 3 games, I feel like play action hasn't been effective. I am not even sure its been tried.

I do want to see Haskins on the move early on, maybe a roll out and have him dive forward if the pattern is full.  Roll the pocket out and let him go deep to TMC.  Do a flea flicker. Something more than a 7 step drop sack/fumble to start the game.

His best play against the giants came on a scramble. And against the Vikings it was a short pass to AP. I think those are going to be key

Also, we know he has chemistry with TMac, but what about Harmon? And I'd like to see somebody like Hentges take over that TE spot. 

He's had some good drives, so that's what I'm looking for more than any particular stat for him. 

Well at least I have a reason to watch this train wreck of a team on Sunday. Haskins needs to play. I expect him to struggle. I just want to see how much his footwork has improved since college. And how much he has adjusted to NFL speed.  We all know the arm is there. Now it is just about watching him progress. But like I said this had to happen. We are going to have a top 3 pick this year. If Haskins isnt the guy we will be able to salvage it in this draft at least.

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

His best play against the giants came on a scramble. And against the Vikings it was a short pass to AP. I think those are going to be key

Also, we know he has chemistry with TMac, but what about Harmon? And I'd like to see somebody like Hentges take over that TE spot. 

He's had some good drives, so that's what I'm looking for more than any particular stat for him. 

In camp he looked like he had good chemistry with Harmon.  He'd hang with him a lot, too from what I noticed.  I believe they knew each other before, both from NJ, with a mutual friend in Sanu. 

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Well at least I have a reason to watch this train wreck of a team on Sunday. Haskins needs to play. I expect him to struggle. I just want to see how much his footwork has improved since college. And how much he has adjusted to NFL speed.  We all know the arm is there. Now it is just about watching him progress. But like I said this had to happen. We are going to have a top 3 pick this year. If Haskins isnt the guy we will be able to salvage it in this draft at least.

While I agree with everything you stated, do not expect the bold to happen. There are two things I am fairly certain of regardless of how the rest of the season goes - Haskins will b the starting QB with virtually zero chance of them taking a QB high in next years draft, and Bruce Allen will still be here ****ing things up. 

The only silver lining is Haskins could turn out to be pretty good. He has a pretty high ceiling. He just needs time so I am ecstatic he is getting the start. I hope he starts the rest of the season then has the off season to review what went well and what he needs to work on. One thing I keep kind of leaning on is that the more playing time he got last year the more comfortable he got and therefore his play was elevated. He still had/has issues. But so do all rookie QBs. I am also holding out hope that they get a solid QB coach to work with him - someone he believes in and that believes in him. 

As for Bruce, all I can say its truly sad that the stink of this franchise is so bad yet so predictable in the continued poor decisions that when given the choice, we can count on them (Dan really) to make the worst possible decision when it matters most - like who will lead the franchise.  

They're saying all the right things about Haskins, but shouldn't he have been doing this every day for the last six months?

I'm still not convinced that he's got it (whatever "it" is).  He reminds me of a slightly overweight sixteen year old who hasn't lost his puppy fat yet. On the surface his body language is awful; he appears slow, disinterested, unmotivated and immature. I'm far from an expert, but even I can see flaws in his stance and throwing motion.

With all that said, I'm really rooting for the kid and am excited to see him start on Sunday. Come on Haskins, convince me, convince everyone, show us all what you can do. The time is now.

33 minutes ago, London Kev said:

They're saying all the right things about Haskins, but shouldn't he have been doing this every day for the last six months?

I'm still not convinced that he's got it (whatever "it" is).  He reminds me of a slightly overweight sixteen year old who hasn't lost his puppy fat yet. On the surface his body language is awful; he appears slow, disinterested, unmotivated and immature. I'm far from an expert, but even I can see flaws in his stance and throwing motion.

With all that said, I'm really rooting for the kid and am excited to see him start on Sunday. Come on Haskins, convince me, convince everyone, show us all what you can do. The time is now.

I admit I don't love the multiple narratives (heck even his coaches alluded to it) about how he's now kicking in and stepping up the work (doesn't take a rocket scientist to piece together that he wasn't working as hard as they'd like, multiple beat guys flat out said that's what they heard).   Having said that the dude seems competitive as heck and I suspect and hope the ups and downs of actually playing will help fuel his drive to excel.   So I hope they let the dude play and work his way through it all. 

“Dwayne brings youth and he brings charisma, especially with the way the game has changed,” McNabb said. “Here’s a young brother who a lot of people had faith in. He’s worked extremely hard. He put great numbers up at Ohio State. And if you’re a brand … why not go with a quarterback? … It presents an opening from a marketing standpoint that I think is smart.”

Haskins wore Nike in games at Ohio State, where he broke several school and Big Ten conference records after throwing for 4,831 yards with 50 touchdowns and just eight interceptions during his lone season as a starter. But he says he often practiced in Air Jordan 11s. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound gunslinger also shares the same agent as former Ohio State teammate Malik Hooker, a safety for the Indianapolis Colts who signed with the Jordan Brand as a rookie in 2017.

“Going through the process of picking a brand, I just felt like Jordan was the brand I liked the most as far as on the field and off the field,” Haskins told The Undefeated during Redskins training camp in August. “I feel like they had the best cleats as far as how they look and being custom. … They fit to my feet. They look pretty good. So it was an easy choice.”

Redskins veteran tight end Jordan Reed, who joined Jordan Brand in 2016, wasn’t surprised by the Haskins signing given the swag the rookie possesses, from the diamond-studded earrings to his gold No. 7 chain, and undeniable arm talent.

“There’s a certain type of guy that’s with Jumpman, a certain type of player,” Reed said during training camp. (In October, Washington placed Reed on injured reserve as a result of a concussion he suffered in the preseason.)

Coincidentally, Reed and Haskins wear the same size cleat, 12.5. So during minicamp, before the rookie got his first pairs of Air Jordans for the field, Reed shared his. Now, Haskins has his own Jordan cleats — and a lot of them. From training camp, to preseason and now the regular season, Haskins has broken out 10 different pairs, mostly 1s, in all-white, “Bred” and “Chicago” colorways.

“The deal shows what Jumpman thinks about Dwayne and his potential as a player,” Reed said. “I think he can be a superstar. I think he has a lot of potential as an NFL quarterback.”

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit I don't love the multiple narratives (heck even his coaches alluded to it) about how he's now kicking in and stepping up the work (doesn't take a rocket scientist to piece together that he wasn't working as hard as they'd like, multiple beat guys flat out said that's what they heard).   Having said that the dude seems competitive as heck and I suspect and hope the ups and downs of actually playing will help fuel his drive to excel.   So I hope they let the dude play and work his way through it all. 

Yeah, it’s pretty odd that he was lauded so highly for his work ethic coming out of college, but just fell off in that aspect once he got to the pros. The only thing I can think of that can reconcile the change in effort/attitude (other than either set of reports just being flat out false) is that he knew this coaching staff never wanted him, and didn’t care about his development. In addition to the fact that this coaching staff likely wouldn’t be here next year. While it’s pretty immature to respond to that by not putting in 100% effort, it’s also understandable that someone would lack motivation in those circumstances. It’s no excuse though, and I’m glad to see that he’s made a bit of a turnaround effort-wise. I hope it translates on the field. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is one where I don't know which narrative to pay attention to. During the preseason, we kept hearing he was the first guy out and stayed late for extra practice. We kept hearing how he's a film rat, etc. 

Then, he he gets buried on the bench and we start hearing negatives. Maybe both are true? Maybe he started out working really hard, but with the lack of snaps he was getting at third string and the way Gruden talked him down his spirit drooped, his drive faded. Maybe he stopped working as hard as he had during the preseason because he felt no matter what he did it was impossible to prove himself. Maybe now, he's being built back up and getting revved up because he sees he can get a chance with this staff.

Then again, as often, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, it’s pretty odd that he was lauded so highly for his work ethic coming out of college, but just fell off in that aspect once he got to the pros. The only thing I can think of that can reconcile the change in effort/attitude (other than either set of reports just being flat out false) is that he knew this coaching staff never wanted him, and didn’t care about his development. In addition to the fact that this coaching staff likely wouldn’t be here next year. While it’s pretty immature to respond to that by not putting in 100% effort, it’s also understandable that someone would lack motivation in those circumstances. It’s no excuse though, and I’m glad to see that he’s made a bit of a turnaround effort-wise. I hope it translates on the field. 

A lot of the college stuff from what I recall (but maybe I am mis recalling) was his own self promotion type statements about how he wants to be great but agree some complements mixed in from others like Meyer, too.

I believe the idea that he wasn’t working as hard as they’d like because it’s coming from too many directions but the kicker is even the coaches alluded to it.

One theory I’ve heard is that he might not be the type to fully engage until he is actually playing.

Like I said he seems like a competitive dude so hopefully the ups and downs fuel him. I’d just let the kid play. All those narratives to me go away once he plays because you don’t have to speculate about all the side stuff, it becomes all about the play,

I hope Sheehan's rap about this is off which is he gets the sense they will bring back Keenum as soon as he’s ready because they still think they can end the season on a high and that according to him is very important to them.

In my view, we gain nothing from having Keenum out there. 

I don’t remember Haskins ever being lauded for being the hardest worker, first guy in, last guy out.  College or thus far in the pros until Callahan said that a few weeks ago.

Not saying it’s not true, I just don’t recall seeing it.

On a side note, I’m stuck in my survivor pool.  I had intended to go with the Bills as they were the most viable option I have left.  But now with Haskins starting, I’m in a pickle.  Not because I think he’s about to light it up, but it’d be cool if he did.  But I care more about the potential $2k payout then I do about a Skins win.  Stuck like Chuck on what to do.

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

This is one where I don't know which narrative to pay attention to. During the preseason, we kept hearing he was the first guy out and stayed late for extra practice. We kept hearing how he's a film rat, etc. 

Then, he he gets buried on the bench and we start hearing negatives. Maybe both are true? Maybe he started out working really hard, but with the lack of snaps he was getting at third string and the way Gruden talked him down his spirit drooped, his drive faded. Maybe he stopped working as hard as he had during the preseason because he felt no matter what he did it was impossible to prove himself. Maybe now, he's being built back up and getting revved up because he sees he can get a chance with this staff.

Then again, as often, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

In my view as long as he plays then all these side stories about how the chef in theory makes the meal become irrelevant -- since we will actually be able to eat the meal so to speak.   I was at camp for 5 practices and saw after 2 practices Haskins throw for about an extra 15 minutes a couple of times.  He seems like a nice kid.  The one thing that everyone else seems to say about him is he's a nice guy, likable.   

My main thing is let him play, work through the ups and downs. 

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t remember Haskins ever being lauded for being the hardest worker, first guy in, last guy out.  College or thus far in the pros until Callahan said that a few weeks ago.

the way Callahan said it, I don't recall the exact quote, gave me and I notice some who cover the team the impression that Haskins started doing it recently as opposed to the whole time.  Ditto O'Connell saying something to the effect of the Giants game was a wake up call and implied it changed his preparation.

Regardless of how we arrived to this point, we will see it play out.  And I don't mean it in a way where am putting pressure on him.  I expect struggles but looking for some flashes in the mix.  Some got excited (me to an extent, too) about his preseason performance albeit number wise it was mediocre to poor.  I feel the same way this time.  Unlike Callahan (though who knows if he meant it) my big thing isn't about whether Haskins wins the game.  But about growth -- improvement.  

Edit:

jst found the O'Connell part

Kevin O’Connell says he’s seen a change in Dwayne Haskins the last two weeks since he’s been firmly named the #2. Giants game was also a huge wake up call for him.

DH has started to understand the urgency. Just part of the process. He’s young and is definitely progressing.

Archived