Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

11 minutes ago, volsmet said:

If Jackson was here he’d be the most ridiculed player in the nfl & everyone would think Bill Polian was right about calling him a WR.

U are correct... This management can't seem to get it right on QB. Gruden was clueless about how to use talent. hopefully, the next coach will be a real coach and let Haskins play to his strengths. Obviously he has them. IF here were to leave, another coach would probably make him star.

Edited by brettstr
  • Like 1

I like Alex Smith but don't like his style of play, it was kinda boring and only viable if the defense could keep the scores close. I'll admit that when we started winning early last year I was more than happy for him to be the QB, because winning is everything (I'm not a fan of tanking), but it definitely wasn't easy on the eye.

There are three possible scenarios in play right now;

1: Alex wants to play again. He's going through rehab at the teams' facilities, while still getting paid, with the goal of eventually competing for the starting role, either here or somewhere else.

2: He doesn't know if he wants to play again. He's going through rehab at the teams' facilities, while still getting paid, and will reassess his options when the time is right.

3: He doesn't want to play again. He's going through rehab at the teams' facilities, while still getting paid, because that is a better option for him than retiring, rehabbing on his own and not getting paid for it. Once his contract is up he will retire and maybe go into coaching or commentating.

Personally, I don't think he ever plays again. But I wouldn't hold it against him even if it was scenario 3. I don't think many people would actually retire and lose money in the same situation.

• Like 7

@Skinsinparadise.  @DJHJR86

You guys aren’t in same category, as @Skins has some level of appreciation for Smith and DJ you appear to despise the dude lol. Here a few regurgitated thoughts of mine:

I do get your rationale with Alex’s contributions last year and I feel he and Jay never really quite clicked. For me, it’s a testament that his known variables transition to any situation (Time of possession, +in TO differential, Run attempts/Yardage, Starting field position) these are stats too and the Skins were highly ranked in these statistics during Alex’s 10 game run. This was true while we all knew he wasn’t operating at his best with Jay. 

Some will point to fluke stats and games last year, but Alex has 7 other seasons with two other franchises with similar statistics. What he provides isn’t a fluke or luck of a Buccaneers game last year, it’s literally what the dude has maximized to be a respected franchise QB. It’s not 10 games of luck with the Skins. 

Smiths ceiling is lower than a good or elite QB and requires elite talent around him to be a contender (who doesn’t, really), but he can also maximize the potential of an average to above roster. 

Due to reality of Smiths contract and Haskins being brought along slowly, I’d be okay with a competition or Smith starting next year. Obviously, a ways to go for Smith. 

Edited by wit33
21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Some will point to fluke stats and games last year, but Alex has 7 other seasons with two other franchises with similar statistics. What he provides isn’t a fluke or luck of a Buccaneers game last year, it’s literally what the dude has maximized to be a respected franchise QB. It’s not 10 games of luck with the Skins. 

It was absolutely 10 games of luck with the Skins.  Let's take a stroll back to 2014, when the Chiefs were 6-3...and then promptly went 3-4 to finish the season.  Or 2017, when they started 6-3...and then went 3-3 to finish the season (with Smith as the QB).  Now you could point to 2013 or 2016 where they had double digit winning seasons...to be promptly eliminated from the playoffs due in large part to the quarterback on their roster.  I mean they did beat the Texans that one year in the playoffs (with Brian Hoyer...yay?), but there was a reason why Chiefs fans were not sad to see him go.  

Knowing all of this, and knowing that it is indisputable that the Chiefs from 2013-2017 was a MUCH better team than the 2018 Redskins...I fail to see how this magical formula of meh play from the quarterback would transform a terrible team to contender.  The wheels were coming off fast in that Texans game before the injury.  This was an 8-8 team with Smith remaining healthy...which would have probably been the same record had McCoy not gotten hurt too.  

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

This is step one in a long process.

My lawd. Those were the same words spoken by the navigator on the plane with Amelia Earhardt as she gassed up the plane in New Guinea. I actually have a lot of respect for her. She actually had the talent to get it done. Well it finally happened Dwayne ( pick 6 ) Haskins gets his first start.  Cowboy Killa knows what i mean. So do you want to concede i was right the whole time or do you need to see this game first? 

Edited by Sonny9TD

@Sonny9TD What I’ll concede is that you are extremely presumptuous. We can talk again after he starts at minimum 16 games and we can reassess.  Otherwise to call him a bust today is just plain silly. Look how fast things changed for the good and the bad with Baker, Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Goff, Minshew, Prescott, and a whole host of others who are still figuring out who they are.

It has not looked good at all. But let’s see how it looks after a while behind the wheel.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise.  @DJHJR86

It’s not 10 games of luck with the Skins.

As for his long career, he's only had a 60 plus QBR just once.  That's almost crazy for a dude who has played that long.  Over 25 TDs just once.  20 or above just 3 times.  Football Outsiders calls the check down pass "the Alex" because of Alex's record of throwing check downs.  He's to me the definition of an average QB not a franchise QB. 

I can go on your ride though for sure that he's better than Keenum.  Also that he's a really cool guy that players like and respond to -- classy guy.  I loved watching the Alex Smith You Tube show when he was here.  He's by a mile my favorite personality among all the QBs we've ever had in my lifetime here let alone recently.  As for his QB play, yawn to me.  but I was open that he could grow and improve in year 2 in the system.  He wasn't that hot in year 1 in KC either.  I don't even think Alex himself thought he played well -- Cooley said he ran into Alex once in the hall and talked about his play and he could tell Alex didn't think he played that hot and thought he could play better and thought it would come in time. Sadly he got hurt and the rest is history. :(

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

The Skins are entertaining starting Keenum even if he hasn't practiced, providing he can pass the concussion protocol.  What does this say about the level of confidence the staff has in Haskins?  I've rebuffed those who suggested he was a bust but I admit to having concerns about his potential now.  Why hasn't Haskins shown enough in practice to warrant a start when a 1-7 starter is coming back from a concussion?

No one expects a victory, in any case, the Skins are hapless we can all see that but why can't they come up with a small package that Haskins can run to get some experience?

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
27 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

What does this say about the level of confidence the staff has in Haskins? 

They have no confidence in him. None. This should be concerning given that this season is already lost. We're scoring 7 points per game, and the other QBs have been bad, yet they still refuse to play him. It speaks volumes as to how bad he must be right now. 

44 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

They have no confidence in him. None. This should be concerning given that this season is already lost. We're scoring 7 points per game, and the other QBs have been bad, yet they still refuse to play him. It speaks volumes as to how bad he must be right now. 

Maturity is clearly an issue. 

He's not ready. 
Has all the talent, but has to learn to put the work in. He will or he won't. Might as well make him earn it. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Maturity is clearly an issue. 

He's not ready. 
Has all the talent, but has to learn to put the work in. He will or he won't. Might as well make him earn it. 

What exactly are his talents? I keep hearing he has all the talent in the world, but if hes a pocket passer which is what his skillset is then you would think hes got his mechanics down but they are about as poor as u can get...

Edited by CjSuAvE22
31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just caught this

Case Keenum is Frankenstein. The team would rather start Frankenstein than Haskins. I want Haskins to do great, but this absolute devotion to Keenum over Haskins is extremely concerning to me.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Case Keenum is Frankenstein. The team would rather start Frankenstein than Haskins. I want Haskins to do great, but this absolute devotion to Keenum over Haskins is extremely concerning to me.

When Bill first took over, he expressed the same type of love and devotion to Case, that Jay expressed about Colt.  It would seem he'd roll Case out there in a wheelchair before he starts Haskins.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

When Bill first took over, he expressed the same type of love and devotion to Case, that Jay expressed about Colt.  It would seem he'd roll Case out there in a wheelchair before he starts Haskins.

Do you think whether to start Haskins is BC's decision?  I don't.

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic