Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadly I think you are right but hope you are wrong, especially in a winnable game against the lowly Jets.

Callahan can hardly say anything else than that for now.

The kid didn't show much to wow everyone to stay with him at the helm.

Maybe with more week training with the first he'll get the nod. But right now, he's only substituing to Case who would have started if not for the injury.

So the coach is staying true to the depth chart.

I thought this was a decent first outing for a guy who is a project.  I hope Haskins starts next week.  As long as Haskins can operate a limited gameplan and get some experience it is good.  With 7 more games on the schedule should be given every opportunity to learn and to progress this season.  

53 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I thought this was a decent first outing for a guy who is a project.  I hope Haskins starts next week.  As long as Haskins can operate and limited gameplan and get some experience it is good.  With 7 more games on the schedule should be given every opportunity to learn and to progress this season.  

Ditto from me.  I wanted to see progress and IMO we saw that.  Let the dude play and grow every week.  i can care less if they think Keenum gives them a slightly better chance to win -- its a lost season.  Are people really going to feel that much better for example if they go 3-13 versus 2-14?  We got a young QB, that's hopefully the future.  Play it out. 

Biggest takeaway: The Redskins have a decision to make, but there's one that makes sense: sticking with Dwayne Haskins. He wasn't great in his start vs. Buffalo; he also wasn't real bad. However, there was growth in some areas. Also, at 1-8, the Redskins don't have much going on for them and Case Keenum wasn't exactly on fire and they seemingly refuse to go back to Colt McCoy. Bill Callahan was non-committal, but it makes sense to stick with the rookie to see if he continues to grow.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer1m ago

42 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I bet Case starts the next game because “we’re trying to win games”.

I think we'll see Haskins for the remainder of the season.  Callahan is using coachspeak to keep DH on his toes with his comment about starting.  He probably just wants to ensure that DH takes this bye week seriously and continues to prepare with a sense of urgency.  I hope I'm not giving Callahan too much credit but if I were the head coach that's how I'd play it.  Haskins seems like the type who responds to being challenged and pushed.  

Good first game as a starter.  Not great but not terrible.  I just wish he'd have taken some shots with McLaurin (having that OSU relationship).  In football if receiver's even he's leavin!  Haskins will see he missed some good shots for Terry.  But, not going to kill him for it.  He was probably going for the safe play and I'm sure it has been drilled into his head to avoid the turnover.  

I wouldn't give DH a grade.  I'd say he showed progress from before and there is room for improvement.  Take this game and build on it.  It's a decent foundational start.  

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

I think we'll see Haskins for the remainder of the season.  Callahan is using coachspeak to keep DH on his toes with his comment about starting.  He probably just wants to ensure that DH takes this bye week seriously and continues to prepare with a sense of urgency.  I hope I'm not giving Callahan too much credit but if I were the head coach that's how I'd play it.  Haskins seems like the type who responds to being challenged and pushed.  

According to some who cover the team they've heard its important for Bruce for the season to end on a high note and he thinks they can end with a winning streak.  I gather Callahan knows his one shot to return was to end with a winning streak.  If this is true, the issue is if they think Keenum gives them a better shot, Haskins might be the one that gets the short end of the stick.  I hope they get off that track if its so -- heck even if its purely about putting people in the stands -- I think they are more likely to get people come to a game to see Haskins, I doubt anyone is coming to see Keenum. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Good first game as a starter.  Not great but not terrible.  I just wish he'd have taken some shots with McLaurin (having that OSU relationship).  In football if receiver's even he's leavin!  Haskins will see he missed some good shots for Terry.  But, not going to kill him for it.  He was probably going for the safe play and I'm sure it has been drilled into his head to avoid the turnover.  

I wouldn't give DH a grade.  I'd say he showed progress from before and there is room for improvement.  Take this game and build on it.  It's a decent foundational start.  

Callahan might have refused to declare Haskins the starter next week because it isn't his decision to make.

I agree with your assessment of his play and I want to see him start and make some progress over the next 7 games.  

7 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I hope you’re right about DH starting but it seems like the ‘Redskins’ thing to do to start Case so we can win a meaningless game against a pathetic Jets team.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to some who cover the team they've heard its important for Bruce for the season to end on a high note and he thinks they can end with a winning streak.  I gather Callahan knows his one shot to return was to end with a winning streak.  If this is true, the issue is if they think Keenum gives them a better shot, Haskins might be the one that gets the short end of the stick.  I hope they get off that track if its so -- heck even if its purely about putting people in the stands -- I think they are more likely to get people come to a game to see Haskins, I doubt anyone is coming to see Keenum. 

A winning streak?  Winning streak????  What does he hope to prove, that the team is close?  🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd rather they use the time to assess if Haskins can progress enough to plan on him for 2020 rather than have Dan pick out another winner.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

A winning streak?  Winning streak????  What does he hope to prove, that the team is close?  🤣🤣🤣🤣

While reading this I could hear Jim Mora's voice saying "playoffs...."  lol

I am holing Haskins is given the ball form here out

When you're learning how to drive for the first time, you can't just do laps around a parking lot. Eventually you gotta go on the main road, the freeway, eventually the highway etc.

Today Haskins was just asked to drive around a mostly empty parking lot. Good on him because he didn't bump into cars or run over any curbs but, what exactly did he gain today?

His arm strength is top notch, but his footwork needs work. He needs to plant his feet more, had too many jump throws. And he doesn't process the rush quickly enough, he's got some Campbell/Ramsey in him.

He should keep playing, but if we're gonna keep calling such a conservative garbage gameplan, its pointless either way. Eventually he's gonna have to take the car out to 66.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He should keep playing, but if we're gonna keep calling such a conservative garbage gameplan, its pointless either way. Eventually he's gonna have to take the car out to 66.

Sure, but it doesn't have to be the first game or first month.  They have 7 more games to play him and it seems to me it would be smart to gradually have him do more and not rush things.  Haskins is Haskins, not Kirk Cousins who started for 3 years in a pro-style offense in college so he understood the Redskins offense out of the blocks.  Today we saw a baseline established for Haskins, 7 games from now we should see substantially more from him.

45 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

I'm not sure he's getting anything out of the playing time; the plays appear to be too conservative. 

Staves off the bust talk having zero turnovers and more accurate looking throws.  Its think the talk on his attitude and work ethic got through, he didnt look great, but he didnt look like a bust today.  He needed that, we all needed that.

Oh if I could only be graded on the Haskins curve in life.  He did nothing but run a custom made potato offense that gives the team exactly zero percent chance to win the game (which is a good thing btw, so they have the opportunity to draft a QB).  Turtling up and letting him complete Division B flag football passes does nothing for anyone, but again anyone that watched the tape on him knew this was what he had.  He brings no spark, no leadership, and no touchdowns, and no chance of winning anything (which again, is great news)

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

I'm not sure he's getting anything out of the playing time; the plays appear to be too conservative. 

In a game with 20+ mph winds what were you expecting? Josh Allen only attempted a couple of deep balls and neither were things of beauty.

I do think we need more first down play action to give him favourable matchups and reads. Defenses are going to bring heat on obvious passing downs.

So the young man took steps forward. No turnovers on the road vs. a good D, and being 1 score out in the 4th quarter is ok and something to build on. He's got a long way to go so just let him keep getting comfortable. He'll start to see things more clearly.  I'd expect we also open things up a bit in these 7 games. 

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

While I agree that the play calling is too conservative, I disagree about him not getting anything out of it. Just being on the field and playing in a live NFL game after having the benefit of a full week of preparation is giving him experience in the speed of the game, in reading defenses, getting in and out of the huddle, calling plays, just getting comfortable being out there. And this was also against a top 3 passing defense in the league. I think as he gets more comfortable and the coaches get more confidence in his comfort out there they'll open up the playbook more (maybe.....Callahan IS a super conservative coach in general). 

IMO in many of those above categories he looked far better today than when he was thrown out vs the Giants and Minny. He wasn't making the mistakes he did vs the Giants and he didn't look completely lost and panicked like he did vs Minny. I know we all want him to go out and light it up but we also all know he's super raw and it's likely going to take some time. I think the worst thing we could do at this point is bench him again in favor of Keenum after he's shown some decent progress. 

Archived