Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think you're being a bit unfair. Part of the job of the QB is to see the field and find the open guy or throw them open. There have been QBs that are Hall of Fame bound who primarily dinked their way down the field. Heck, most of Tom Brady's passes go fewer than ten yards through the air (not that I'm making a comparison).

This was Haskins first start. He looked to have training wheels on, but at the same time, he looked to have the same QB restrictions as Allen did. Dwayne did okay. There's no need to try to judge the entire potential of his career on one start... especially, given the handicap of this team and this coaching staff. Besides, if you watched the game, they showed quite a number of times where every receiving option was blanketed. In that regard, Haskins made some good decisions not to throw.

I'd grade out Haskins at a C+ yesterday.

OK I agree with this. but yesterday didn't win a starting job in no way shape or form. Only because you have to find out what is eventually going to surface is why he should start. I agree let him start.

Would more repetitions help Haskins? Certainly. A week of practicing with the starters made an obvious difference in him. But so did a nicely tailored playbook that relied on screens and handoffs to the hard-charging Adrian Peterson. Haskins’s performance — ­15-for-22 passing for 144 yards — was commendable for its efficiency and its lack of turnovers and for his poise on the road, in front of a hostile crowd and against a defense that came into the game ranked third in the NFL in yards allowed and giving up just 17.4 points per game. But it was also conspicuous in the fact that Haskins made no significant throws downfield and took four sacks.

It all makes you wonder what exactly is going on. Perhaps there is a habit or an attitude that is making coaches hesitate to simply reward Haskins with the car keys. Haskins is clearly eager to play more and believes a lack of repetitions as a starter has held him back. “I was seeing the field better and better as the game went on, and there were things I saw before it happened, and that’s part of playing quarterback and getting reps,” he said. “In my short career and the amount of reps I’ve had through my career, I just want to play natural and play instinctive, and I felt that going into this game, the more and more snaps that I got, and hopefully I keep going in the bye week and the rest of the season.”

But NFL quarterback is not a natural, “instinctive” position. It’s the most highly learned, mechanics-based and analytic position on the field, one that requires a thorough knowledge not just of your own playbook, which Haskins has yet to master, but of opposing defenses and concepts, all of which have to be synthesized on film along with physical repetitions and timing with teammates to make anything look “natural.”

It seems as if his coaches want Haskins to understand this — understand that the position has to be hard-earned with tedious preparation week in and week out at the things that don’t come naturally — no matter your role or status. Haskins was asked how this week was different for him as the designated starter, and his answer was perhaps telling. “Very detail-oriented, more laser-focused, more intense for me and something I took pride in and made important,” he said.

The good NFL coaches expect that all the time. It’s the mere baseline for every man in the league. This is just a guess, but Haskins’s coaches may want to see how he behaves and works in the coming week, without any entitlements. It’s possible that’s the best thing they can teach him right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dwayne-haskins-has-a-long-way-to-go-and-he-needs-an-opportunity-to-get-there/2019/11/03/f092d8a2-fe80-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html

6 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Adrian Peterson runs for 108 yards and Haskins can't get this team in the end zone. Maybe you're the one with what they call a bias. Tell the truth you love him. You can't get enough of him. I know. I get it. But who you can say played well though is the Offensive Line and Adrian Peterson. Haskins had every chance to get in the end zone and failed. But he did complete some passes. Who couldn't have with the time he had? Seriously. Reality check.

See im trying to be cool with you and bring you new information to the table to help you sound at least somewhat open to changing your mind. If your first step in the debate is to tell me 'You love him admit it' you are not even trying to have a fair convo. Which is fine, I just like to be clear about where we are starting. 

Serious question did you look at what other QBs did against the bills? Your opinion of his performance tells me that you either dont know what the **** you are talking about if you did. Or you just dont know what the **** you are talking about in general and want to be angry about something. Both are fine its sports and I cant tell you how to be a fan. But im just curious if you even looked at the facts before you started your argument or not. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd argue that both sides have some merit. Patience is important. But it's tough as a fan to see Brandon Allen throwing all over Cleveland and then see our dink and dunk in action. But again, these are guys in different stages of development. Haskins is much more pro talent than Allen, but Brandon Allen is much more pro ready. It's a tough thing to distinguish and hang with. Can't fault fans for their immediate reactions to it. But it's important to understand the reasoning at some point and taking a step back and saying, "okay... don't like it, but at least its an understandable approach".

I feel you but its obvious some people are not being fair in their criticism and im not afraid to call them out about it. I know you get it, which is why I dont cross you often when you criticize. There is nothing wrong with being realistic in your review and that goes both ways. I dont have a problem when you say Haskins mecanics are messed up from the ground up because its obviously true. Even when you (me) dont know what that means, its reasonable to believe because multiple sources tell you the same thing and that information has been out on him for months now. I have a problem when you say "Any one could do what Haskins did against the bills" when literally they are the 3rd best passing defense in the game and ****ing Tom Brady had arguably worse stats against them. Its just not true and im not afraid to call bull**** on it. 

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

See im trying to be cool with you and bring you new information to the table to help you sound at least somewhat open to changing your mind. If your first step in the debate is to tell me 'You love him admit it' you are not even trying to have a fair convo. Which is fine, I just like to be clear about where we are starting. 

Serious question did you look at what other QBs did against the bills? Your opinion of his performance tells me that you either dont know what the **** you are talking about if you did. Or you just dont know what the **** you are talking about in general and want to be angry about something. Both are fine its sports and I cant tell you how to be a fan. But im just curious if you even looked at the facts before you started your argument or not. 

I feel you but its obvious some people are not being fair in their criticism and im not afraid to call them out about it. I know you get it, which is why I dont cross you often when you criticize. There is nothing wrong with being realistic in your review and that goes both ways. I dont have a problem when you say Haskins mecanics are messed up from the ground up because its obviously true. Even when you (me) dont know what that means, its reasonable to believe because multiple sources tell you the same thing and that information has been out on him for months now. I have a problem when you say "Any one could do what Haskins did against the bills" when literally they are the 3rd best passing defense in the game and ****ing Tom Brady had arguably worse stats against them. Its just not true and im not afraid to call bull**** on it. 

Did other teams run the ball as good as the Redskins did? No Therefore the Bills  had to worry about the running game especially play action. Know what i mean? Haskins had time. Other QBs did not. Are you implying other QBs had the time Haskins did? You would be wrong! The offensive line played very well and receivers were open.  Negating your argument.  Maybe it's you who don't know what the **** you are talking about. Then read my previous post about being somewhat cool about it. Next

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'll go a step further. I don't think what other QBs did against the Bills (or any team) for better or for worse matters in the absolute LEAST with what Haskins did. What they did gameplan wise versus what Haskins did gameplan wise were entirely different across the board. Haskins was NOT out there with a gameplan to win a game. He ran a college game plan to ease him into the game management aspect of the position in the NFL. It was a step. I don't think his stats really matter at all. And I don't think comparing him, for better OR worse matters at all. 

I think both sides need to see that as the season progresses. The Bills have an okay defense (they haven't played anyone, so I'm not sure they've actually been tested). Haskins played meh with a very simple game plan. Haskins did pretty well with the management aspect. Haskins is improving in some way, albeit marginal. But its improvement to his relief appearances. 

That's the only assessments that matter.

Who cares if the other QBs could have done what Haskins did? Haskins had a developmental gameplan. If Keenum or McCoy ran the same gameplan it would be completely indefensible. It's apples to rutabagas in comparison.

4 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Did other teams run the ball as good as the Redskins did? No Therefore the Bills didn't have to worry about the running game especially play action. Know what i mean? Haskins had time. Other QBs did not. Maybe it's you who don't know what the **** you are talking about. Then read my previous post about being somewhat cool about it. 

The Eagles ran the ball well vs Buffalo.. 

4 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Did other teams run the ball as good as the Redskins did? No Therefore the Bills didn't have to worry about the running game especially play action. Know what i mean? Haskins had time. Other QBs did not. Maybe it's you who don't know what the **** you are talking about. Then read my previous post about being somewhat cool about it. Next

So the only thing you take into account for Haskins against the Bills is how well the redskins ran the ball? Thats it? Again, thats a stupid ****ing opinion. Thats not how football works. Yes, running the ball is obviously a factor. So is every ****ing thing else from coaching to experience. You sound like you watched every other bills game. Did you? Or are you just guessing that Haskins had more time than other Qbs? Sounds like you are guessing. Note: even if you say you watched all the Bills games, I wouldnt ****ing believe you. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Who cares if the other QBs could have done what Haskins did? Haskins had a developmental gameplan. If Keenum or McCoy ran the same gameplan it would be completely indefensible. It's apples to rutabagas in comparison.

That was my point from the start. The post I had contention with was basically "Haskins didnt do as well against the bills as any other QB in the league would" which is bull**** for all the reasons you pointed out and more. 

Just now, Sonny9TD said:

Yea and they kicked the shiz out of Buffalo too. ,My point exactly. Eagles QB had a good game. Thanks for the help.

See. Lol again if this is the extent of your logic the problem here is your logic. 

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So the only thing you take into account for Haskins against the Bills is how well the redskins ran the ball? Thats it? Again, thats a stupid ****ing opinion. Thats not how football works. Yes, running the ball is obviously a factor. So is every ****ing thing else from coaching to experience. You sound like you watched every other bills game. Did you? Or are you just guessing that Haskins had more time than other Qbs? Sounds like you are guessing. Note: even if you say you watched all the Bills games, I wouldnt ****ing believe you. 

That was my point from the start. The post I had contention with was basically "Haskins didnt do as well against the bills as any other QB in the league would" which is bull**** for all the reasons you pointed out and more. 

See. Lol again if this is the extent of your logic the problem here is your logic. 

I think you're missing something here. Teams that ran the ball well against the Bills the Eagles apparently allowed the QB to light them up. Teams that did not run well did not. Or the QB had no time to throw because of no running game since the Bills would key on just the pass game since the running game was not working.  Haskins had time. Redskins ran the ball well. But Haskins did not light them up. Get it now? Logic is difficult but the more you think the easier it is. No I didn't watch all the Bills games. Didn''t have to. Logic is clear what happened. And since you agree with the other poster about him not having a game plan to win what does that tell you about how you feel about him? Not even good enough to have a game winning game plan. Logic suggests you must think he sucks too.  Checkmate LOL

So many angry people in here. I get it it’s Monday and everyone has to get back to work, but we’re all fans here. Maybe try to treat each other with a bit more respect instead of dropping f bombs like that’s going to make either of you understand one another’s point of view. 

1 minute ago, Sonny9TD said:

I think you're missing something here. Teams that ran the ball well against the Bills the Eagles apparently allowed the QB to light them up. Teams that did not run well did not. Or the QB had no time to throw because of no running game since the Bills would key on just the pass game since the running game was not working.  Haskins had time. Redskins ran the ball well. But Haskins did not light them up. Get it now? Logic is difficult but the more you think the easier it is.

Ok you got it Lol. 

I just want you to make a smart argument. Its clear that you are not in a position to do so, so we can stop now if you want. 

For those following along, all you gotta do is run the ball. Nothing else goes into being a good passing team but throwing the ball. WRs, TEs, game plan, coaching, play calling, protection....all that be damned. Run the ball and you win. Smart. So smart. Way smarter than me I cant even comprehend it.  

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

So many angry people in here. I get it it’s Monday and everyone has to get back to work, but we’re all fans here. Maybe try to treat each other with a bit more respect instead of dropping f bombs like that’s going to make either of you understand one another’s point of view. 

Im ****ing right though

1 minute ago, mh86 said:

Well i'm not mad. I'm quite happy. except for the loss yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

And since you agree with the other poster about him not having a game plan to win what does that tell you about how you feel about him? Not even good enough to have a game winning game plan. Logic suggests you must think he sucks too.  Checkmate LOL

Say what now? Explain that again? 

I get it, you’re both fired up. I think one game is just a bit too small of a sample size, but to be fair it is all we have at the moment. Hopefully he gets the rest of the season to start, learn, and improve. If he doesn’t show improvement it at least let’s us know where we need to be moving forward 

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Ok you got it Lol. 

I just want you to make a smart argument. Its clear that you are not in a position to do so, so we can stop now if you want. 

For those following along, all you gotta do is run the ball. Nothing else goes into being a good passing team but throwing the ball. WRs, TEs, game plan, coaching, play calling, protection....all that be damned. Run the ball and you win. Smart. So smart. Way smarter than me I cant even comprehend it.  

Im ****ing right though

Nobody said that. You said other Qbs failed. Eagles didn't or the other team afforded the QB no time.  All the game plan, coaching, play calling, was not your argument but now it is for no logical reason. Your argument was QB specific so you are really wrong. Yes you need to stop. Give me that shovel. You have dug enough. LOL

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Please, for the love of all that is good, stop using what other teams did against "X" team and look at the Redskins in a vacuum. What other teams' did does not matter.

That was his argument not mine. I just retorted with why and probably why they did not play well against the Bills. No time to throw or no running game which the Redskins had both. Except the Eagles of course who kicked that azz. Ok maybe that was too much display of logic but he asked for it. if he wanted to say the reason other QBs didn't do well because of game planning, coaching. weather, or somebody's stinking arse was why he should have clarified instead of making it look like Haskins did better than other QBs because he is better. Clearly not the case. Looking forward to next week

6 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Haha this bakedtater angry? lol..yah right...haskins didnt make any major mistakes..looks like the play calling was made for haskins..we didnt win..he had no touchdowns, but showed improvement...he better be the starter coming out of the bye week.

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But NFL quarterback is not a natural, “instinctive” position. It’s the most highly learned, mechanics-based and analytic position on the field, one that requires a thorough knowledge not just of your own playbook, which Haskins has yet to master, but of opposing defenses and concepts, all of which have to be synthesized on film along with physical repetitions and timing with teammates to make anything look “natural.”

taking issue with the author on this.  He's making some suppositions about the coach's intentions with Haskins based on this false premise.  QB is the most instinct reliant position on the field.  You don't process the sea of information that good QBs read each snap rationally or analytically.  Recognition and decision are instincts-driven gestalts.  And quarterbacks get tons more opportunity for unscripted playmaking than any other position.

1 hour ago, Sonny9TD said:

Completing 10 yard throws to open guys and throwing screens isn't going to win games. Any and all backup QB should be able to do what Haskins did yesterday.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Take a look at what the other QBs did against the bills this season. Its on the previous page. 

14 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

That was his argument not mine. I just retorted with why and probably why they did not play well against the Bills. 

Why cant you just be honest? And you just said you didnt watch any other Bills games. So how do you know this? Just by looking at stats? 

32 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

instead of making it look like Haskins did better than other QBs because he is better. Clearly not the case. Looking forward to next week

Quote me staying this. 

EDIT: Never got that quote. Wonder why. 

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Why cant you just be honest? 

I have been. Dude you're the one comparing Haskins to other QBs like everything is the same but some teams  offensive lines aren't so good who can't protect the QB or some  teams can't run like the Skins can did. That's the honest truth

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Neither point matters, to be honest. You guys are both looking at the wrong things (in my opinion, of course)

I'm not. It's all true what i said. Period. You settle down K Dawg. LOL  I do enjoy your opinions. however.

1 minute ago, Sonny9TD said:

I have been. Dude you're the one comparing Haskins to other QBs like everything is the same but some teams  offensive lines aren't so good who can't protect the QB or some  teams can't run like the Skins can did. That's the honest truth

I'm not. It's all true what i said. 

Okay this is the last I'm talking about this because the two of you are beating a horse that is so dead that you killed it in its next life :ols:

True doesn't always mean right. I could say the Redskins running game was on point yesterday because they controlled the ball in the first half. That would be true. But it's only half looking at things. Both of you have points. Neither of you want to see the other side. True or not, for both of you, doesn't mean right.

I'm not trying to nit pick either of you. But I am trying to get across the point that this is a strange argument to be having... over... and over... and over...

Archived