Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Yup I know RJ.  There was some debate in earlier posts about his issue with wearing a helmet last year.  Thus, I posted it to keep facts straight. 😃

I apologize, HigSkin.  :)  Keep on posting.  I have the utmost respect for you and SIP.  :)  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sheehan isn’t buying the reports at all, saying he thinks the Skins want you to think there wasn’t a market. Shrug.  I think he’s more right, but there’s no way to know. 

And yeah, if you don’t call people back you have no idea what the offers were.

Yeah I know Sheehan doesn't buy it.  He mentioned today he knows the Texans among their offers offered Clowney straight up for Trent.   I am inclined to go with Sheehan on this.

I don't recall who wrote it maybe it was Laconfora but I recall there was an article (citing inside team sources from other teams) about how Bruce shopping Trent at the 11th hour after rebuffing calls from teams was too little too late. 

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I know Sheehan doesn't buy it.  He mentioned today he knows the Texans among their offers offered Clowney straight up for Trent.   I am inclined to go with Sheehan on this.

I don't recall who wrote it maybe it was Laconfora but I recall there was an article (citing inside team sources from other teams) about how Bruce shopping Trent at the 11th hour after rebuffing calls from teams was too little too late. 

I think he’s speculating a bunch based on early reports. His speculation is based on what actually happened, and I tend to agree with it.  That said, Keim typically won’t go that hard on a topic unless he knows something.  

So it’s somewhat unclear.  

It’s also totally irrelevant. 

7 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I'd prefer a 2nd and a 3rd, but 2 3rds I guess is OK as long as the headache is gone. McLaurin was a 3rd rounder.

I totally agree with what your saying here, BleedBNG.  

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Anyone else recall when we offered the Bengals essentially two 1st round picks for Chad Johnson....and they refused to consider trading him, to anyone?

Marvin Lewis saved Vinny from himself. Those 2 picks would have been Orakpo and Williams.

15 minutes ago, redrobert said:

“2” 3rd Round Picks would be a major disappointment. Trent is worth more.

Given that the 2 3rd round picks are high, you can use both to easily trade back up to the 2nd if you really want someone. If it were me though, I'd take 2 3rds, a 4th this year and a pick next year based on performance. Given the depth of this draft, you will find a lot of guys in the early 3rd who would have 2nd round grades in most drafts.

I'd love to grab Jordyn Brooks, Trautman and Matthew Peart (as the swing tackle to grow into a starter at one of the two spots next year) with our 3rd + these 2 3rds. With 3 4th round picks (our 2 + this extra one), you can grab a Bryan Edwards or Van Jefferson + 2 more guys with Day 2 grades who have fallen due to the depth in this class

When listening to Kevin Sheehan and he keeps saying the Skins blew it because they didnt take a first rounder last year and compares it to Tunsil trade I keep yelling at the podcast "Kevin there is a big difference, TW wanted a long term 20 mil a year a deal". That kills trade value!

24 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

When listening to Kevin Sheehan and he keeps saying the Skins blew it because they didnt take a first rounder last year and compares it to Tunsil trade I keep yelling at the podcast "Kevin there is a big difference, TW wanted a long term 20 mil a year a deal". That kills trade value!

I doubt Trent wanted 20 million then.  Every year the price tag for every position goes up.  DJ Humphries just got 15 million.  If it was last year's FA class, I'd assume it woud be something like 12 for Humphries.  So Trent's price tag was likely high but not that high.  Bruce told the reporter he was close to which is Ben Standig that Trent would yield better compensation after the season as opposed to during the season.  He looks royally wrong.  The idea that even getting a 2nd round pick would be high now -- well last year when they finally in the 11th hour took offers did get a 2nd round offer according to multiple reporters from a team. 

And we said he'd likely be royally wrong last year.  In this off season, he'd have:

A. Trent on a 1 year deal versus 2 years

B.  The price for Trent being higher

C. Competing with FA.

D.  Competing against an historically great LT draft

It was a perfect storm of stupidity for Bruce on the contract. 

Why are we obsessed with dealing him to Cleveland?  It was Bruce that effectively wouldn't deal him anywhere else and narrowed the market to a couple of teams.   

As long as we can get a decent return, I wouldn't care if he ends up with a star on his helmet (although they don't need a LT).  Just get it done.    

5 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

It’s like trying to sell a six year-old Corvette at MSRP based on what it could do against cars at that time, even if you haven’t started it in two years.

No it’s not. Jason Peters is 38, and is a viable free agent. Penn was our starter last year. The only hang up here is compensation vs Trents contract demands. The higher his contract demands, the less teams want to give up. 

At this rate I don't think Trent is going to have a potential landing spot until after the draft.  A year off the grind of an NFL season for a talented player I can't see it being a negative, I just can't. But his asking price is high.  But then there is supply and demand. Who needs a LT that thinks they can compete for a title? Then the price tag is not that outrageous.  I was hoping for a second round pick in this draft or with a that can't afford to part with any draft picks, an outright trade like Trent for Stefon Diggs. 

20 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

No it’s not. Jason Peters is 38, and is a viable free agent. Penn was our starter last year. The only hang up here is compensation vs Trents contract demands. The higher his contract demands, the less teams want to give up. 

In other words, it is just like that. At least those guys have played. $20m? Give me a ****ing break. He can sit another year.

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Trent wanted 20 million then.  Every year the price tag for every position goes up.  DJ Humphries just got 15 million.  If it was last year's FA class, I'd assume it woud be something like 12 for Humphries.  So Trent's price tag was likely high but not that high.  Bruce told the reporter he was close to which is Ben Standig that Trent would yield better compensation after the season as opposed to during the season.  He looks royally wrong.  The idea that even getting a 2nd round pick would be high now -- well last year when they finally in the 11th hour took offers did get a 2nd round offer according to multiple reporters from a team. 

And we said he'd likely be royally wrong last year.  In this off season, he'd have:

A. Trent on a 1 year deal versus 2 years

B.  The price for Trent being higher

C. Competing with FA.

D.  Competing against an historically great LT draft

It was a perfect storm of stupidity for Bruce on the contract. 

I’m guessing Trent is asking for more money from Skins vs other teams.  Justification might be missed pay from last year, but he really just seems to want out. 

New Browns GM (Andrew Berry) is on the Analytics train and likely values picks more than Dorsey.  For this reason, don’t see the Browns as a good trade partner. 

I could see the Cardinals, Jets, or Texans making sense though. 

39 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

This is the beauty of letting him shop for his own deal. Let his agent do all the leg work and all we have to do is answer the phone and say "nope, that's not enough of a return. If you're willing to pay him like an all pro then you'll need to compensate us like he's an all pro left tackle too. Give us your 1st in 2021 and he's yours."

Ugh, this is getting tiresome....

I kinda agree with kingdaddy here, you really can't have it both ways. Trent is shopping for a megadeal, which means anyone that ponies up those bucks has to consider him worth said deal, but we are supposed to deal him for pennies on the dollar? Screw that

Trent, I love the guy, he has played his ass of for us, has been the best player on the roster for years, gave the bulk of his career to a dysfunctional organization that hasn't been able to take two steps without stomping on their own dick, so I get it, he wants to move on, get that one last deal, maybe even chase a ring with a contender, whatever, but the fans and the league and the media et. al. have to let go of their "same ole Skins" bias. I cannot hold Rivera's feet to the fire because Bruce was a dumbass, or even because TheDan let Bruce be a dumbass. I sure as hell am not dragging old news out of the grave about Chad Johnson fer crissakes. 

What is, is. Trent wants to move on, the team is willing to do that, his agent can shop like it's Black Friday but at some point reality has to seep in. TW is a top talent in a seller's market, yes he's available but the lowball rumors are just embarrassing.

Two 3rds seems about right when you think about it. Just for comparison, Antonio Brown went for a 3rd and a 5th. Both guys were in pretty similar situations, except Brown didn't sit out a whole year. Expensive malcontent vets just don't have that much value...

On 3/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, HigSkin said:

FWIW

This is exactly why I never understood why Trent is considered a broken down horse with only a few years left.  His injury history is legit but the age, and sitting out the year is a positive not a negative, shows that got plenty of years left.   Ask Donald Penn.  

Archived