Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

You can trust his sources, or you can trust his role to teams and espn, I go to the latter. I see him as a guy utilized to leak information because he's got the imprimatur of espn behind him, and as a result, has a lot of reach, and significant ability to provide information to teams on how  fanbases, as well as how teams, and journo's would react to certain moves. Simply trusting his stories/word to me is the height of naivete. His role probably tells you a great deal more than his words do. 

11 hours ago, CTskin said:

This was always about money hombre... it’s just now becoming obvious to some that he was bull****ting his reason for holding out. 

What’s wrong is that’s $13m of wasted cap space because there’s no way he’s playing here; we already have enough invested in Alex Smith. He’ll again sit out and Hit the market after the season. It’s a bad business/monetary decision for him, but it was also last year and it’s obvious he’s still living in Lala land now hearing his contract demands.

I’m wondering what you think can happen that would result in his value rising? I don’t see any scenario...

- He can have a great season with the Skins next year and we franchise him while putting him on the block. Value would be more than it is now.

- Any team strikes out in free agency and the draft and still needs a LT. Price could go up.

- A team loses their left tackle in mini-camp or during summer camp and has no legit backup with a prized QB....price could go up.

- Another team has a malcontent who wants out (Diggs?) and that team explores dealing their malcontent for Trent. Price could go up. 

- New league deal is concluded and the cap rises significantly....price could go up- 

- A playoff contender loses their LT and can't win without dealing for a replacement.....price goes way up.

Garafalo just on NFL Network. He more or less saying no takers right now for a 2nd round pick, suggesting they likely have to accept lower. Said from what he’s heard they aren’t close to a deal with any team right now. 

Rapoport then jumped on and said he thinks the Redskins are flexible as to backing off demanding a 2nd, he thinks a deal can go down but it might take awhile.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Garafalo just on NFL Network. He more or less saying no takers right now for a 2nd round pick, suggesting they likely have to accept lower. Said from what he’s heard they aren’t close to a deal with any team right now. 

Rapoport then jumped on and said he thinks the Redskins are flexible as to backing off demanding a 2nd, he thinks a deal can go down but it might take awhile.

We need to get two 3rds, a 3rd and change (4th or 5th) or a 3rd and player (TE from NYJ or CLE) for TW.  I'd be thrilled with any of those options.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:03 AM, wit33 said:

It’s strange, not sure I’ve heard Keim be as aggressive on a stance lol Not a big deal just interesting, especially in March 

Maybe one thing has nothing to do with another but the two reporters who arguably were the kindest to  Bruce were Keim and Standig. Those also seem to be the only reporters unless I missed one who claim the Redskins weren’t offered a first last year.

I don’t think that Keim or Standig are per se carrying Bruce’s water on this for any agenda reasons but it’s plausible to me that Bruce convinced them they never had a great deal on the table. Keim in one of his podcasts talked about having a long talk (pre the ESPN story that he and Reid wrote together) with Bruce just a little time before he got canned.

I posted what I heard from the Jets reporter, who also does national reporting, on a podcast who said he heard from multiple sources that the Redskins had 2 teams offering them a first rounder early on last season but they retracted that offer right before the trading deadline because too much of the season was gone for them to value Trent the same way.

If I recall it was Laconfora who said the Browns weren’t going to bail Bruce out before the trade deadline after being blown off for weeks leading up to it. If I recall Dorsey himself hinted that the Redskins blew it by not dealing with them earlier.

We got the Albert Breer story recently about how Bruce wouldn’t even listen to what the Browns wanted to offer until right at the end.

We got the recent story from multiple sources that the Texans pre Tunsil were indeed interested in Trent. I recall a beat guy or two denied that at the time or said they didn’t hear of there being interest from the Texans and I believe one of those reporters might have been Keim but I might be misremembering that.

@volsmet talked about hearing about the Texans interest back then. I recall not everyone believed him (I believed him) then but he ended up correct.  Sheehan said he knows for a fact they offered Clowney straight up for Trent and likely had an offer with picks. Sheehan also said he heard they did have a first round pick offer by teams.

But let’s play with Keim’s more conservative take which is they got an offer of a 2nd right before the trade deadline.  By the sounds of it they might have to scramble now to get something like that for reasons that many of us expressed would dilute his value said here months back when this discussion was hot.

Personally I do think if they hold out they might get a 2nd. But that 2nd round offer according to Keim was on the table and offered to them last year right before the deadline.

17 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

We’re not getting a 2nd. Just take what you can and clear space.

F that nonsense. Trent can twist in the wind. More cap space is a nice-to-have right now. There is no way they should just take what they can get so some team can sign him to whatever get and a top LT (if he stays healthy). He needs to make concessions to get another team to be willing to give up a higher pick/player package.  

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

F that nonsense. Trent can twist in the wind. More cap space is a nice-to-have right now. There is no way they should just take what they can get so some team can sign him to whatever get and a top LT (if he stays healthy). He needs to make concessions to get another team to be willing to give up a higher pick/player package.  

He’s not a top LT anymore. 

I just want a deal done because we won't see the same TW on the field that we did before.  I believe he will play this team for all it's worth (i.e., fake injuries etc.).  He will be a waste of cap money and we will get nothing for him in a comp. pick in 2021 with the contracts/players we sign this year.  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I just want a deal done because we won't see the same TW on the field that we did before.  I believe he will play this team for all it's worth (i.e., fake injuries etc.).  He will be a waste of cap money and we will get nothing for him in a comp. pick in 2021 with the contracts/players we sign this year.  

Trent will want to get paid. This will be a contract year.  If he sits due to a fake injury or plays half ass, his next contract will reflect that. I'd like to get any malcontents off the team, preferably with a day 1-2 pick this year AND a conditional (rd 2-4) next year

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Trent will want to get paid. This will be a contract year.  If he sits due to a fake injury or plays half ass, his next contract will reflect that. I'd like to get any malcontents off the team, preferably with a day 1-2 pick this year AND a conditional (rd 2-4) next year

We won't get a day 1 pick.  Day 2 yes and possibly a later round pick.

I am with Sheehan, I'd hold out for awhile at least or basically tell Trent that heck his sky high demand for a salary is hindering a deal so be prepared to return to the Redskins.

I do think Bruce royally screwed this up.  But at the same, I think Trent and his agent might be overestimating his worth.   if they dealt him at the beginning of last year, you'd get Trent at a reasonable rate for 2 seasons.  Now you got him with just 1 year, smack in the middle of FA when the price tag for every position is going up.   So it's changed from Trent at a bargain to Trent at perhaps a rocket high salary which is riskier for the buyer. 

A 3rd is ridiculous and not worth our time, I would bring him back for his final year, use that as a bridge and we'll still get a comp pick in the future.

Trent has to understand that giving him away for a 3rd is robbery. Bruce screwed the pooch but we can't go back in time so suck it up and play out your contract.

17 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

A 3rd is ridiculous and not worth our time, I would bring him back for his final year, use that as a bridge and we'll still get a comp pick in the future.

Trent has to understand that giving him away for a 3rd is robbery. Bruce screwed the pooch but we can't go back in time so suck it up and play out your contract.

Right, Ron could say, "listen pal, you are asking for 20 mil per year, but then expect a 3rd rounder to be fair compensation?  Not happening."

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep Trent needs to compromise here or he’s going to rot.

So Trent got his answer, no one feels he's worth a 2nd. He needs to get his ass back to Washington or retire. No way we should settle on bull**** compensation. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The entire NFL knows Trent is worth more than a two. They just figure the Redskins have to fold and will lose any game of chicken.

I agree. Who are the Browns to tell the Skins that we won't give up at least a 2nd for Trent given their hopeless situation at LT. Good luck with that, we will move forward by telling TW it's play or sit....meanwhile we should go balls to the wall for Conklin and get the others signed. 

Don't trade his ass for ANYTHING less than a 2nd rounder, on principle alone.... make him play here this coming season or sit on his ass again and not get paid...

Malcontent my ass, do you really think he will go out and intentionally whiff on blocks and play half-assed?   Well if he does, he's killing his future value to any other team.

I was basically on Trent's side all of last year, but now I basically say screw him and the horse he rode in on... he's actually making Brucifer look somewhat competent...

Yep, the entire league has us bent over and I don't see it changing, we could try to unload him to a desperate team that loses their tackle during camp or before the season but that creates a nightmare for us when it comes to planning for the regular season and understanding who our starting O lineman are.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yep, the entire league has us bent over and I don't see it changing, we could try to unload him to a desperate team that loses their tackle during camp or before the season but that creates a nightmare for us when it comes to planning for the regular season and understanding who our starting O lineman are.

Man, I really disagree with this line of thought. We are not bent over at all, in fact, I think it's Trent who's bent over. We have Trent and he either plays for us or he sits and loses more money. Meanwhile, we plan as if he's not coming back and go get Conklin, Glenn or someone else to play LT. 

Archived