Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Need a new CBA for a team to be able to accommodate his contract in a feasible way, in my opinion. The restrictions from the current final CBA year won’t be helping on things like salary increase restrictions and the accounting of incentives.

New CBA, someone will give him the contract dollars, we’ll get fair trade compensation.

Plus, we will sign a vet tackle in FA irrespective of Trents status with us.

Sounds reasonable and something that will likely happen IF, IF a new CBA is agreed upon.   If it's not then.....I expect a new CBA deal in place though.  Former NFL players are affected by this and they are making their voices heard by telling the current players to accept the deal.  The only ones wanting to gamble and take a chance or the ones that are already getting paid or the elite which is a small class that makeup the NFL.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The way I'd interpret those stories coupled with the local ones from NY and Cleveland, if said reports are correct

A.  Redskins seem to accept they won't get a 2nd rounder for him in all likelihood

B.  I'd guess plan B is accepting a third rounder and hopefully change -- and they seem resigned to that perhaps

C.  Trent's contract demands likely both lowers his trade value and makes a deal less likely because they don't want to pay him that much

D.  Trent now not playing a season plus has lowered his attractiveness as an asset because its added to the uncertainty about him

E.  Redskins likely deal him versus hold out if they can find a taker on Trent's contract demands and at least a third rounder is part of the deal

I am in the camp of I wouldn't trade him for a third rounder.  I would for two third rounders but by the sound of it that's unlikely.  Maybe a third and a 4th would do it for me.  As for a straight third, I'd make Trent come back.  Granted Bruce dealt this dumb hand that they are in on this now.  But Trent deserves IMO some blame too.  I personally don't think he's worth 20 million a year.  15 million-16 million, yes.  But I don't think with his age, uncertainty about his healthy, history of injuries, etc -- earns him the top of the market deal.  So if that's part of the sticking point with Trent as to his salary demands than he deserves to come back and lose the opportunity to go elsewhere at least for a season.

Judging by what some beat guys have said, they get the impression that Trent desperately wants to move on and get a fresh start and feels the Redskins don't value him the way the rest of the league.  Gives me the vibe that he's already checked out mentally from the Redskins.   If so, it sounds like he's having a rude awakening, at least thus far.  But my point is if the beat guys are right, Trent would hate coming back especially after putting himself out there like he has.  So eventually maybe he relents from his contract demands if it facilities a trade. 

SIP... On point 😄 I hear you about the new contract, but shouldnt the FO be open to taking a cap hit for a better pick.

I.E. We sign Trent to the Contract revision/extension with us taking the hit on the Signing Bonus up front... (Think OBJ trade)

This allows Trent to get more guaranteed money while keeping his Cap hit lower for the team trading for him.

This lowered Cap hit might not be worth the cost to every team, but teams up against the Cap could get Trent for a Cap hit in the 10M range... maybe less

19 minutes ago, Sean 3621 said:

That wasn’t my understanding of we give him permission to seek a trade. Seems like Trent’s agent is in charge of finding the best deal he can find and we say yes or no.

I don’t think so bud, his agent finds him a new contract, a team willing to pay him what he wants, we work the compensation part of it. His agent plays a key role but we ultimately have the power on compensation.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, skins2victory said:

A trade to the Browns on draft day could work out as well. What if the Browns traded down from #10 to a later first round pick, adding additional picks for themselves. Then they could trade us the late first round pick for Trent. We get our 1st for Trent, they walk away getting more out of the deal for trading down.

I’d really like to get the Miami deal 5,18and 2nd rounder 

Then take 18 and Trent for 10 

that would gives us two top ten picks

Browns get to keep their 1st and get get a LT

We take Simmons or Okudah at 5

Thomas Becton Wirfs at 10

use the 2nd on Kmet or Trautman 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Giving consent to his agent to seek a trade was a strong front office move. 

To me it means that TW doesn't want to play another game for the Skins and I don't see him doing it.  Also, what coach or organization wants a player who wants to be traded?  I think TW and his agent end up dropping their price a bit and a deal is struck like you said after the new CBA is approved.  It's probably what's holding a trade up.

12 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I don’t think so bud, his agent finds him a new contract, a team willing to pay him what he wants, we work the compensation part of it. His agent plays a key role but we ultimately have the power on compensation.

I’d still think the two have to be hand and hand

Whats the point of working out a contract only for the team to turn down the trade

11 minutes ago, Sean 3621 said:

Whats the point of working out a contract only for the team to turn down the trade

You’re right it does work hand in hand, but we decide on the compensation. It’s not like the agent calls us and says, nope all we can get is a 4th round pick. We are accepting it..I’d expect Trent to lower his price in order to balance us getting what we want compensation wise, which sounds like at minimum is a 2nd rounder. But in the end The team will decide what compensation we will accept. The agent in this case is a go between trying to placate and work with both parties to facilitate a deal.  

I wouldnt be shocked to see a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year that can turn to a 2nd if certain high benchmarks are met. Or a 2nd and 3rd this year. Those two scenarios is what I’d hold out for at minimum.

5 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

You’re right it does work hand in hand, but we decide on the compensation. It’s not like the agent calls us and says, nope all we can get is a 4th round pick. We are accepting it..I’d expect Trent to lower his price in order to balance us getting what we want compensation wise, which sounds like at minimum is a 2nd rounder. But in the end The team will decide what compensation we will accept. The agent in this case is a go between trying to placate and work with both parties to facilitate a deal.  

I wouldnt be shocked to see a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year that can turn to a 2nd if certain high benchmarks are met. Or a 2nd and 3rd this year. Those two scenarios is what I’d hold out for at minimum.

The agent being the go between to placate the deal puts a lot of pressure on him/her to make a deal worth taking from one party to the other is all I was implying 

Thanks to that asshat Allen you’re probably right about his value but he is still a premier player at a position of value so we’ll see. 
 Personally I’d rather trade him for a player like Diggs or one of Bmore’s TE maybe Broncos safety Simmons 

5 hours ago, Sean 3621 said:

The agent needs to find a team that is willing to sign a long term deal with Trent and also is willing to give up compensation to the Redskins.  My best guess is that once they do both of these things our FO enters into negotiations with that team to work out draft/player compensation for trading them Trent.

So go find a team that wants to pay you and give us fair compensation and then get us involved once so we can negotiate our compensation and complete the trade.

It sounds like we're not even making it to the point where our FO can negotiate.

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

No, I'm not thinking that way at all. I'm not thinking the issue is solved and everything is fine, I'm thinking show other teams that we signed a left tackle and you don't have us over a barrel. Show them we now have depth and we will ride TW out as long as we need to until we get fair compensation. For those of you who just want to dump him for whatever we can get, think about how it will look when he makes a pro bowl and is in the playoffs and we are left wondering why we only got a 3rd round pick for a pro bowl player? We will look like idiots who let a player and other teams play us. No way, Trent does not hold all the cards here and other teams hold NO cards. If they want Trent then make a fair offer....otherwise go play without Trent and see how far you go.

So your theory is to create leverage by signing a tackle to show the league that we no longer need Trent and therefore now the rest of the league will be more willing to give us what we want?

A bit of a hail mary to me but I guess it's possible, as I said in the first post you quoted I think the longer this drags out what gives us the best chance of creating leverage is when teams lose LT's to injury in the preseason.

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So your theory is to create leverage by signing a tackle to show the league that we no longer need Trent and therefore now the rest of the league will be more willing to give us what we want?

A bit of a hail mary to me but I guess it's possible, as I said in the first post you quoted I think the longer this drags out what gives us the best chance of creating leverage is when teams lose LT's to injury in the preseason.

I think we should sign a left tackle because we can't count on TW and don't want to get stuck counting on him. My plans with Trent would have nothing to do with other teams and what they will pay. My price is my price and if no one pays it then Trent plays here or sits again. I'm gonna deal with what I can control, not what other teams or Trent want. Bruce may have screwed things up but we still have an asset that other teams need so I'm not just giving him away for an unknown 3rd round pick.

34 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The agent needs to find a team that is willing to sign a long term deal with Trent and also is willing to give up compensation to the Redskins.  My best guess is that once they do both of these things our FO comes enters into negotiations with that team to work out draft/player compensation for trading them Trent.

So go find a team that wants to pay you and give us fair compensation and then get us involved once so we can negotiate our compensation and complete the trade.

It sounds like we're not even making it to the point where our FO can negotiate.

Hopefully it’s the CBA that’s holding up the deal and not teams being reluctant about Trent 

2 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

SIP... On point 😄 I hear you about the new contract, but shouldnt the FO be open to taking a cap hit for a better pick.

I.E. We sign Trent to the Contract revision/extension with us taking the hit on the Signing Bonus up front... (Think OBJ trade)

This allows Trent to get more guaranteed money while keeping his Cap hit lower for the team trading for him.

This lowered Cap hit might not be worth the cost to every team, but teams up against the Cap could get Trent for a Cap hit in the 10M range... maybe less

I'd rather have the cap savings personally.  But playing along, it doesn't sound Trent prefers to stay and they might have to pay a higher premium to sign here.  If I recall both Sheehan and Finlay said something to the effect that for Trent to sign here, he'd want even more money, because this isn't where he prefers to stay.  So for example the 20-25 million price that was out there might have been a Redskins price -- going elsewhere maybe 18-20 million or something less than at least he'd want from the Redskins?  Or something like that according to some who cover the team.   Then you got Trent likely asking for a multi year extension with plenty of guaranteed money, so you'd likely be swallowing a 3 year salary hit or something like that.  So you might be putting on yourself sort of a mini Alex Smith type of cap penalty.

I'd prefer a 2nd rounder over a 3 rounder in compensation but not to the extent of taking potentially a multi year major cap hit for it. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the Jets outbid us for Bradberry, they may not be able to afford Trent and his imaginary contract.

The skins should also be driving the price up for these free agent tackles.  Be in on the conversation, whether the interest is genuine or not.  If the Jets and browns get outbid, they become more desperate for Trent.  If both those teams miss out on a solid tackle, I don't see how we don't get at least a 2nd rounder.   

57 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

The skins should also be driving the price up for these free agent tackles.  Be in on the conversation, whether the interest is genuine or not.  If the Jets and browns get outbid, they become more desperate for Trent.  If both those teams miss out on a solid tackle, I don't see how we don't get at least a 2nd rounder.   

Great point!!!

"We'll see your 15 mil, raise you 2 mil and add a 4th year...

BTW, did you know that Trent Williams is only looking for a 3 year deal?"

25 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

"Personally think is was their terms that lead the hold up that lead to the dead talks." 🤨  What?

IMO, Jags wanted to swap players and first round positions.  That had to be DOA on discussions because I don't see Skins giving up #2

In the same vein, you gotta assume they are looking around to see who's franchised, like a Hunter Henry and test weather any team would flat out swap for TW without draft picks involved.  It would take the draft pick problem out of the equation.

22 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

IMO, Jags wanted to swap players and first round positions.  That had to be DOA on discussions because I don't see Skins giving up #2

In the same vein, you gotta assume they are looking around to see who's franchised, like a Hunter Henry and test weather any team would flat out swap for TW without draft picks involved.  It would take the draft pick problem out of the equation.

By swapping picks I assume it meant the Skins getting the Jags 2nd rd pick(#42) and Jags getting the Skins 3rd rd pick (#66).  On the draft value chart that's equal to the Skins getting 3rd rd pick value in the trade.

Archived