Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

I don't know about his passion, I can't judge that. But he's not really a football player. He's a real good athlete but he has no football feel or instinct. He runs bad routes and doesn't know how to utilize his body properly. There was one play yesterday that really irked me. It was IIRC some kind of fake and Doc didn't even run a route. He literally just jogged into the CB. The play wasn't meant for him but if he at least attempted a route it might have opened something up for someone else.

He's a bust.

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know about his passion, I can't judge that. But he's not really a football player. He's a real good athlete but he has no football feel or instinct. He runs bad routes and doesn't know how to utilize his body properly. There was one play yesterday that really irked me. It was IIRC some kind of fake and Doc didn't even run a route. He literally just jogged into the CB. The play wasn't meant for him but if he at least attempted a route it might have opened something up for someone else.

He's a bust.

If it was the play down by the goalline that was by design ? It was a run action to the opposite side of the formation and the receiver acts like he's just not involved. Your hoping the corner drifts off him towards the run action. When the QB completes the fake the receiver runs a corner route. 

We have run that a few times including last season. Its worked a couple of times. Not so much on Sunday.

We dont give him chances to do what he can do.  Alex is pretty much the last qb to take chances and throw contested jump balls (weren't the chiefs without a receiving td for like months last year?).  Even Kirk, on the amazing TD throw to Docston vs Oakland last year said: "oh I was really nervous about that one, wasnt sure if I should throw it glad it worked out lol". 

What?? That's what Docston is here for.  He can out jump a guy for a catch.  Hes had the two most careful QBs throwing to him so far (therefore they dont throw it to him unless hes wide open).  Rodgers or Brady would make a star out of him because they would give him multiple chances.  We dont give him any.  Look at Sunday, we pretty much only throw to guys who are wide open, then defenses tighten in the second half so we cant pass and we dont score in the second half...if you haven't noticed.

All of this of course assuming hes not just worn down from injury, but I dont think so.  That catch vs Oakland was no accident, and I dont care if hes a one trick pony in that regard.  That trick works.  And if he's so bad, defenders certainly are giving him one on one looks down the sideline.  So throw him the damn ball every now and then.  If he never comes down with those, then he just wasnt ready to be consistent in the NFL and oh well.  But hes not being used for what he was drafted for.  They're not even trying to find out.  

Btw, trying to read body language is pointless, of course the guy cares.  If hes a little bummed out because hes not making much of an impact, I dont blame him.  No one will throw him the ball.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, bird_1972 said:

Honestly, what does it say about our FO that they couldn't figure out that Doctson's head wasn't into the game when they considered him for a first round pick? Where was the ****ing due diligence?!?!?

Because the whole concept that football is not big deal to Doctson is total bull****. He fought his way as a walk-on to a D1 school and ended up being their #1 WR. He has fought his ass off at every level. It is possible the NFL game is too much for him. But those questioning his heart are doing so without actually doing any real research to find out who he is a person. I have indeed done that research. 

Just a few weeks ago he modified his own shoe in the middle of a game to relive some of the pain in his foot so he could keep going. He is getting better at blocking - they showed him in a film breakdown from the Carolina game blocking downfield for AP. 

Again, he may not have the skill set to make it in the NFL. But it has nothing to do with how hard he works or the ridiculous notion that he just does not care. If anything, he cares too much and is really down as he is not being more successful. 

BTW: He was a 1st rd pick on virtually every person who had something to say about the draft. He was projected a mid rd 1st. His highlight reel from college is off the charts. But he was more than that. 

This is his 3rd year and I see no improvement. We can blame the QB all we want but it’s clear as day this guy is not going to be successful long term with us. I doubt he ever becomes elite, so let’s forget about that for a second. Will he even be competent? Doubt it. He is already 26. Forget about it. Time to move on. You can’t be unproductive and lackadaisical. 

His body language has been horrible since he started with us. Looks checked out and aloof. I brought this up early and hoped it was just time he needed to get comfy.  Looks like I was wrong.  I do think he can be more useful to us though and would not cut ties just yet. I’d even try and get him involved early and often, including a deep jump ball or two...

However, I don’t see there is anyway we Do NOt bring back cam sims when available. He can’t be worse....These guys seem listless out there. Our WR’s have NO JUICE.

Doctson definitely has the physical attributes to be a great WR; size, height, speed, good jumping ability, etc.

But he's just not motivated.

This is in Gruden's / Ike Hilliard's responsibility. They aren't reaching him mentally for whatever reason, but the need to, or cut him loose.

The problem with that is, AFTER he's cut, there will be other teams looking to sign him, and of course when he's cut it will hit him mentally and THEN that sense of urgency takes over, he realizes he needs to really get into it or he will be without a job, and all of a sudden he's a top 3 WR in the league.

There are players who spend their entire life, through pee-wee, high school, and college, fighting to be drafted by an NFL team, and once they're drafted, they develop a sense of 'ok, I've made it', and they feel they're set no matter what.

But he has to get his act together; if he doesn't, he better be let go; there are plenty WRs out there who put a helluva lot more effort into being more than a drafted player. He's been injury-prone and when he's not injured he doesn't do anything to warrant being kept on a team. To me this sucks, because he's the tallest WR with a lot of potential but for whatever reason he just doesn't care.

Situations like these amaze me. We start out the season with "Dez Bryant is bad, he acts out too much!" Three weeks later, it's "Josh Doctson is bad, he doesn't act out enough!" The whole 'body language' discussion is stupid. I don't care if they look dead after a touchdown or look like leprechauns after 1 yard catch on third down. I care whether a player's results suck or not. So far, Doctson has sucked. End of discussion.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, NoCalMike said:

Jordan Reed has missed a lot of time. Chris Thompson too. The only reason they are still around is because when healthy they are an asset on the offense.

Josh Doctson has missed a lot of time and isn't an asset when healthy.  The only reason he is still around is that the front office doesn't want to admit they wasted a draft pick on him.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, Snagletooth said:

What is the actual injury? All I here is that he has a heel, and its sore.  Is it bruised?  Tendinitis of the heel?

tendonitis of the vagina.

just kidding.. but doc is really starting to look like a mega bust. Not that he was lighting the world on fire before, but him coupled with Smith is bad bad bad

Look at it this way, through 5 games, he's got 8 catches for 68 yards, 0 td's... at the rate he's lighting the league on fire, extrapolating his averages through 16 games, we're looking at season totals of:

25 catches for 217 yards, 0 td's.. ouch.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, Snagletooth said:

What is the actual injury? All I here is that he has a heel, and its sore.  Is it bruised?  Tendinitis of the heel?

I can't say , but i have had a slight tear of the plantar fascia, the big thick tendon that goes over the back of your heel.

It took forever to heal. The only thing you can do is not do the things that he has to do to play his position.

I could walk fine. I could even run in a straight line.. except the takeoff was very painful, and changing direction,, forget it.

Looking at it from a football standpoint,  if i had to move my foot backwards and brace like when blocking,, forget it, i would collapse. So much pain.

I have no idea what is his actual injury,, but a plantar injury can look outwardly like it's nothing.. see him walking into the stadium with no boot or limp doesn't mean he can play.

It's very frustrating.

~Bang

Given that the average NFL career is less than 5 years right? We aren't looking to good the last 5 years. Our top two picks.

2017: Allen + Anderson

2016: Doctson + Cravens

2015: Scherff + Smith

2014: Murphy + Moses

2013. Amerson + Reed

Crossed out are guys who are already off the team. Underlined are guys who probably won't last much longer. Bold are guy who at least contribute.

I still think he needs to bulk up. I cannot shake the notion that is what he needs to do, to take the next step.  I have no proof other than looking at the guns of most all NFL WRs, and then looking at him.

I suspect Alex "Inside Only" Smith is not helping his rep around here.

What I don't get when it comes to Doctson is that now that he is healthy (besides the heel thing) why isn't he being used at least specifically in the roles that support the reason for drafting him in the first place, the red zone?   When the offense gets inside the 10 yard line, where are the plays that you would typically throw to a #1 WR that has the ability to makes plays on the ball.

Doctson may turn out to be a wasted pick, but the offense itself sure doesn't seem to want to find out if he has any usefulness either.  

Archived