Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

He'll be released if there are not takers for a trade.  Skins tried to trade him last year per Keim and there were not takers.  

Makes sense. Why would a team even give up a 6th rounder for a 500 yard, 2 TD receiver? Hell, I could do that, and I'll work for half of Doctson's salary.

Call me up, Bruce.

1 hour ago, Poindexter said:

Agreed....Jay has also stated that Doctson "will never be a receiver who creates separation, but can win 50/50 balls".  

When I read that I knew that he was on his way out.  Why would you want a WR who is limited, makes him less versatile and easier to defend.  I can see him being released or trading him and swapping 6th round draft picks.  I would be shocked if we get anything for him.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/4/20753690/jay-gruden-redskins-presser-were-looking-for-a-punt-returner-who-can-catch-the-ball 

What Jay said (at least to me) is that he doesn't need to create separation and CAN win the the 50/50 balls. In another words he doesn't need to create separation since he can catch the ball without it. That is called talent, that he has. 

5 hours ago, Poindexter said:

Agreed....Jay has also stated that Doctson "will never be a receiver who creates separation, but can win 50/50 balls".  

When I read that I knew that he was on his way out.  Why would you want a WR who is limited, makes him less versatile and easier to defend.  I can see him being released or trading him and swapping 6th round draft picks.  I would be shocked if we get anything for him.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/4/20753690/jay-gruden-redskins-presser-were-looking-for-a-punt-returner-who-can-catch-the-ball 

Today's presser has me pretty convinced he's on his way out.

Jay of course didn't come out and say it. But if you read between the lines, it sure looks like Jay doesn't have plans for him.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

But we didn’t release him last year when there were no takers. 

I think it's possible other WRs are starting to look good and they don't want to release them. The Skins also have 2 rookie WRs. Doctson is taking a spot from someone else when they know he isn't going to be here next year.  Why keep him if he hasn't show anything in camp and preseason for the 4th year. 

6 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I think it's possible other WRs are starting to look good and they don't want to release them. The Skins also have 2 rookie WRs. Doctson is taking a spot from someone else when they know he isn't going to be here next year.  Why keep him if he hasn't show anything in camp and preseason for the 4th year. 

Jay said outright that Doctson would not play in the 4th preseason game. Then he got a bit defensive when asked if Doctson had a spot locked up.

I get the gut feeling Jay's decided Doc's fate, which is no longer with the team, but of course he won't verbally state that until it's official.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Jay said outright that Doctson would not play in the 4th preseason game. Then he got a bit defensive when asked if Doctson had a spot locked up.

I get the gut feeling Jay's decided Doc's fate, which is no longer with the team, but of course he won't verbally state that until it's official.

Well if he's not playing that is a concern for me. That makes me think he is making the team. I think we should release him. I've seen enough of him and think another WR should get his spot. 

49 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Well if he's not playing that is a concern for me. That makes me think he is making the team.

I could see it interpreted either way.

Perhaps he's not playing because Jay wants to get one final and long look at the guy he plans to take Doctson's roster spot, just to be certain.

He knows by now what Doctson can and cannot do. It's much less certain what the guy can do, who will potentially take his "job". So time to zoom in on whomever that might be.

Remember also, in the past, Jay hasn't usually shied away from annointing players with spots, i.e. saying Quinn has the slot locked up.

If he won't even assure a reporter that Doctson has even a roster spot locked up, I think that speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I don't get why the team and some fans don't like Doctson. He is not great but not rubbish either. Let him play out his 4th season. 

I think this is true only so many rookie WR you can have on a team. Be nice have some players with a shred of experience. For all the hype on new guys none really done anything in preseason againest other teams number 1 defense. Majority put up numbers vs 2 , 3 and 4 stringers. 

So that production doesnt translate. Hell Harmon for all his jump ball ability did not actually catch either of those balls but some how now gonna be our number 1 and while trey Quinn had a good camp and yes Doctson did as well he had a thumb injury which prevents him catching punts. 

Cam Sims was a little impressive but again mostly againest 2nd stringers. 

Mclauran surposely had an amazing camp then disappeared in preseason.

Richardson did nothing of interest and surposely is our number 1.

I really think over rating our rookie and 2nd year receivers sure i hope they surprise but no real savings in cutting Doctson so surely better to keep him as he at min a ok number 2.

I actually believe Doctson days are numbered and only reason not playing in 4th preseason is make sure doesnt get hurt. 

4 hours ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I don't get why the team and some fans don't like Doctson. He is not great but not rubbish either. Let him play out his 4th season. 

I get it for the experience, but if you got someone wanting it more with a bit more wits rookie or not you let them have the roster spot.

The only thing that has me confident he'll make the team is the stuff we never seen and has been reported frequently, even last year with Smith throwing, that he flashes in practice.

Heard it a few times... 'once he gets going, he makes and shows elite talent in catching the ball'. I get it, could be all lip service, but something tells me he has flashed once or twice in practice. I think he's definitely on for one more year

4 hours ago, SamoaSkinz said:

Consider why we don't want him next year, and have tried to trade him for 2 years. And have no takers willing to pay anything of significance. So its not just fans not liking him. Bruce or Jay doesn't like him. Apparently nor do any other GMs.  Who likes him - a handful of our fans.

Is it worth a year of Josh at the cost of one of: Harmon Cam Sims or Robert Davis permanently?   That is the question I think in play here. Jay loves him all the young WRs including the other Sims and Kidsy.  Joining McLaurin of course.

I just don't see a significant drop in production moving from Josh to one of those 3. Maybe a 20 catch drop at worst? No pun intended. Those can easily be recouped with a healthy Reed and CT.  Josh is a 1 year rental.  Of course Jay may be as well :ols:

4 hours ago, cober said:

For all the hype on new guys none really done anything in preseason againest other teams number 1 defense. Majority put up numbers vs 2 , 3 and 4 stringers. 

What are they supposed to do, demand playing against the 1's, people used to say the same thing about Kirk and we saw what happened when he finally got a chance against the 1's.

4 hours ago, cober said:

Mclauran surposely had an amazing camp then disappeared in preseason.

Richardson did nothing of interest and surposely is our number 1.

Richardson didn't even play in the preseason and McLaurin only played in game 3, had 1 pass thrown his way and drew a PI in the endzone.

In the preseason Cam caught 4 passes for 54 yards with a long of 38 yards.

Kidsy caught 9 balls for 102 yards with a huge catch percentage.

We're not getting rid of Harmon or Quinn and even if Josh makes the team it's doubtful he finds playing time.

7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I’m with you to a large extent. He’s highly unlikely to be here beyond this season. We are not winning the Super Bowl this year so why not release him to free up a spot for one of the younger guys?

But reports were he did have a good camp. And there is not a lot of experience behind him.

A release could happen but I’d still be slightly surprised. His salary is guaranteed I believe.

Here's the problem.  Doctson's salary ($1.8M) is guaranteed for $1.2M this year.  No one is going to  pick up a guaranteed salary for their 5th or 6th receiver.  If he's traded, for nothing, the Skins will need to pay part of his salary.  If he's cut, the Skins are on tap for $1.2M if he doesn't get picked up and about $700K if he does get picked up.  From Doctson's perspective, there is no bidding war unless someone is willing to pay more than $1.2M, which isn't happening, so he'll sign for the minimum ($480K) on any team he goes to.  On top of whatever the Skins pay, he has an additional $1.4M cap hit from his rookie bonus.

From the Skins perspective, they will be taking a cap hit of $2.6M if Doctson is cut and isn't picked up and $2.1 if he is picked up.  If they keep him, he's a $3.2M cap hit. So his real cost is $600K to $1.1M.  Since he's the only receiver with any real experience with the offense, maybe that is a realistic price to pay.

52 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What are they supposed to do, demand playing against the 1's,

Issue is people do this every year they get hyped about new car on the block thinking they could be next Tom Brady low draft hall of famer. When reality is they most likely JAG and replaced next off season by next new crop of young players. At some stage got stop and think we could have 5 our 6 receivers being rookies or 1st year players with no real NFL experience. 

8 minutes ago, cober said:

Issue is people do this every year they get hyped about new car on the block thinking they could be next Tom Brady low draft hall of famer. When reality is they most likely JAG and replaced next off season by next new crop of young players. At some stage got stop and think we could have 5 our 6 receivers being rookies or 1st year players with no real NFL experience. 

Yeah, I get that but I think it goes both ways, Doctson has had plenty of chances and he has flashed at times but has never really made an impact.

So do you get rid of a couple of unknown players in the hope that a guy who doesn't get consistent separation in his routes will catch a bunch of 50/50 balls?

Personally, I think its time to move on but we'll see what happens.

Good on points on Doctson. Last year the rumour was that redskins wanted to trade Doctson in the face of new receivers like Sims, Quick, Harris, Quinn together with Crowder and Richardson, Doctson ended up being the WR with most yards. This year we again look to trade him again and cross our fingers that Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin, Sims, Harmon steps up. I'd rather keep the guy with experience especially considering the quality of our QBs last year, and this year as well. We need all the help we can get and taking out Doctson in putting us in a bigger hole that we don't need to be.

• TK locked this topic

Archived