Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

41 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Yeah, I read that, too. And it has Guice at the bottom which we all know can’t be right. Hence it is “unofficial” but nonetheless, it was released by the Skins. I think the League requires the posting of a depth chart before a game, even during pre-season. 

I still think its encouraging that Settle ranks higher than Phil Taylor. Truthfully, if PT is indeed healthy, I think he’d be more of an assett to this team than Lanier or maybe even Hood. But carrying three nose tackles is likely not going to happen. Now, if some of the earlier reports from camp regarding Payne playing significant snaps at DE and Taylor is truly healthy, then I can see keeping him on the 53 and Lanier or Hood missing the cut. 

Lanier had 5 sacks last year and is 25 years old. He makes it. The locks are Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, and Lanier, IMHO. Settle is probably safe. No way he survives the practice squad without being snatched up. Hood, McGee, Pipkins and Taylor probably fight for whatever spots are left. IR might be the best thing for McGee. How many DL are we going to carry?

8 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Lanier had 5 sacks last year and is 25 years old. He makes it. The locks are Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, and Lanier, IMHO. Settle is probably safe. No way he survives the practice squad without being snatched up. Hood, McGee, Pipkins and Taylor probably fight for whatever spots are left. IR might be the best thing for McGee. How many DL are we going to carry?

Pipkins to PS and Taylor to 53. Hood gets cut. That is likely what happens. I'm not much of a fan of Lanier though, terrible against the run.

31 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I doubt McGee touches IR because he's not going to be out all season, and we don't want to spend our IR - eligible to return on a guy like him.  He'll likely be on the PUP for the time being, and when he's ready to come back, they'll make the hard decision if nobody else has found their way to IR before then to open up the spot.  

With the battles we have at so many positions, I only see us carrying 6 D-line at week 1.  Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Settle, Hood, Lanier... but i don't think Lanier is a lock.... yet.  I think they like Hood and his leadership, and considering that, 5 of the 6 I listed are either all Rookie, or 2nd year players (Lanier is TECHNICALLY in this 3rd season, but i'm not even sure he dressed a single game his rookie year).  

The only other option would be to go thinner at CB and RB, which i don't see happening.... not when Kerrigan and Smith spend their fair share of time with their hand on the ground, as well as the tendency to see Allen and Ioannidis lined up on the interior.  

It would not surprise me to see them keep Hood, and part ways with McGee when eligible, unless another injury between now and that time happens.  The long term development of the D-line would presumably not include McGee.... so he may end up being the odd man out.  

47 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Pipkins to PS and Taylor to 53. Hood gets cut. That is likely what happens. I'm not much of a fan of Lanier though, terrible against the run.

I hear ya, but Lanier can get to the passer....still only 25, lets coach him up vs the run. And maybe he improves against the run with someone solid next to him like Payne and/or Allen? Regardless, it's gonna be fun watching our interior get after it with the edge rushers we have. Not to mention a new QB, rookie RB and a healthy Reed. Let's go.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I doubt McGee touches IR because he's not going to be out all season, and we don't want to spend our IR - eligible to return on a guy like him.  He'll likely be on the PUP for the time being, and when he's ready to come back, they'll make the hard decision if nobody else has found their way to IR before then to open up the spot.  

With the battles we have at so many positions, I only see us carrying 6 D-line at week 1.  Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Settle, Hood, Lanier... but i don't think Lanier is a lock.... yet.  I think they like Hood and his leadership, and considering that, 5 of the 6 I listed are either all Rookie, or 2nd year players (Lanier is TECHNICALLY in this 3rd season, but i'm not even sure he dressed a single game his rookie year).  

The only other option would be to go thinner at CB and RB, which i don't see happening.... not when Kerrigan and Smith spend their fair share of time with their hand on the ground, as well as the tendency to see Allen and Ioannidis lined up on the interior.  

It would not surprise me to see them keep Hood, and part ways with McGee when eligible, unless another injury between now and that time happens.  The long term development of the D-line would presumably not include McGee.... so he may end up being the odd man out.  

I think you are probably right about the PUP for McGee if they know he is returning. But do remember that the IR rules are temporarily changed until the next CBA. The team does not have to designate the player for return and they can bring back up to 2 players now, not just one. 

I also agree they probably just keep 6. I think Hood is the 6th. I know fans don't like him but the coaches do. But they may surprise us and go with 7. Oddly enough they could go with 2 QBs. I know that seems odd since they trade for Hogan. But roster spots are important. With the injuries to Allen and Iaonnidis last year and Payne a little dinged up this year, I could see them keeping 7. 

The personnel decisions will be interesting either way. 

We should only be keeping two QB's, with the roster bind everywhere else. What's the point of paying a guy like Colt McCoy above average backup QB money as a steady vet if you have to keep another meh vet behind him? It would be different if we were developing a young draft pick, like if we had really liked Sudfeld or something. Hogan is not that guy, he should be a camp arm imo. 

I said the same thing about running back. I would strongly consider keeping only three. Guice, Thompson and whoever wins the back up. After all, would one of Perrine, Kelly, Bibs, Marshall, etc. be that much better than an off the street free agent? More, are they that much better than some of the other talent we might have to cut at other positions?

Keep your best players.

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I said the same thing about running back. I would strongly consider keeping only three. Guice, Thompson and whoever wins the back up. After all, would one of Perrine, Kelly, Bibs, Marshall, etc. be that much better than an off the street free agent? More, are they that much better than some of the other talent we might have to cut at other positions?

Keep your best players.

CT will be injured at some point and probably sooner than later, so we should keep 4.

48 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think you are probably right about the PUP for McGee if they know he is returning. But do remember that the IR rules are temporarily changed until the next CBA. The team does not have to designate the player for return and they can bring back up to 2 players now, not just one. 

The players eligible for return must be moved to IR from the final 53.  This is why Arie is now out for the season even though he may be physically ready as early as November. Remember, the primary reason behind the IR rules was an attempt by most of the other teams to prevent teams like Washington from using it to extend rosters and use it as a protected development squad. Thing is, since the guys on IR still count toward cap and other NFL obligations, that is really not much of a danger. There is a reason that Ron Saul has a 1982 Super Bowl ring. In the 70s and 80s, we often had a real roster in the sixties though officially we only had the 46.

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

MOD EDITED - DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES

I like how they even portrayed FEDEX by having 5 people in the stands watching the game, while the vast majority are outside walking the concourses.  

Plus I've been to enough games to know that an alligator mote is likely a very bad idea.  

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I like how they even portrayed FEDEX by having 5 people in the stands watching the game, while the vast majority are outside walking the concourses.  

Plus I've been to enough games to know that an alligator mote is likely a very bad idea.  

Shades of the Kansas City December game a few years back as far as the attendance.

But on second look, this has more Tampa Bay influence, does Bruce long for the days of the old sombrero?

17 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Keep your best players.

We also have a few backs that are PS eligible anyway.  From what I am hearing though, Wellman may also get a shot at the PS.  Remember, the PS primary function is as a practice squad, not a development squad.

24 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

The players eligible for return must be moved to IR from the final 53.  This is why Arie is now out for the season even though he may be physically ready as early as November. Remember, the primary reason behind the IR rules was an attempt by most of the other teams to prevent teams like Washington from using it to extend rosters and use it as a protected development squad. Thing is, since the guys on IR still count toward cap and other NFL obligations, that is really not much of a danger. There is a reason that Ron Saul has a 1982 Super Bowl ring. In the 70s and 80s, we often had a real roster in the sixties though officially we only had the 46.

I think I see what you are trying to say but if I am being honest it's not very clear. And that is possibly due to maybe I was not clear enough in what I was saying. Following is my attempt to clear up both.

I believe what you are saying is that for a player to be brought back from IR, they must make the final 53 man pre-season roster. So they cannot put him on IR right now, then have a 53 man roster, then bring him back. I agree which is why I said he will probably be put on the PUP list. That is the purpose of the PUP list. 

I was then trying to make an additional point that you can now not only bring players back from IR if they are placed there during the regular season (what I left out), you do not have to designate them for return when you place them on IR. Also, instead of just one player you can now bring two players back. 

So yes, Arie cannot be brought back as he has already been put on IR and as such will clearly not make the final 53. As for McGee, they would have to keep him on the 53 then put him on IR if they wanted to bring him - but they could do that. However, as stated the PUP makes much more sense. This does allow them to postpone the decision until at least week 6. Then they can either leave him on PUP, activate him to the final 53 (and release someone else), or release/waive them. I also believe once he practices they have 21 days to make a decision. Otherwise he can remain on PUP as long as they want him to. 

2 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

MOD edited - DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES

I see they are going for realism;  there are some people in the moat. Most likely they just threw themselves into the water after watching the defense give up 6 yards per rush again.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Keep your best players.

From this: NBCS-Washington: Camp Battles: Plenty of questions need answers before the Redskins' RB competition is settled

"How much will special teams really matter?

The third- and fourth- string running backs need to be able to contribute on special teams. Marshall can return kickoffs and Bibbs probably can, too. Kelly said that in practice he has been working with the punting team, punt block, and kickoff return teams. Perine has been working on special teams in practice, too. It will be interesting to watch the kicks during the preseason games to see who stands out in coverage. That could give Kelley or Perine an edge in the battle for a roster spot."

---This is one thing I'l be looking for in the upcoming games. Just a general feeling from coach's comments and various reports, but it feels like Kelley is ahead of Perine. It's possible they only keep three, but likelier they keep 4, and teams is going to play a roll as to who the fourth is.

12 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I see they are going for realism;  there are some people in the moat. Most likely they just threw themselves into the water after watching the defense give up 6 yards per rush again.

Those are People protesting the Name in canoes, dressed as NA's for effect. 

Image result for rolls eyes gif

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

So is quoting pictures in replies - so lets not do that :)

Archived