Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Redskins Training Camp/Preseason Thread

TSO

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

This is not the same Earl Thomas from 5 years ago.

I think I’d pass.

Just read he's making 8.5M and thinks he deserves more?  He should know better than most that you get paid for what you're going to do not what you did.  I think its kind of crazy that as a safety he thinks he deserves more than 8.5 and that somebody else will pay more.  Perhaps he's getting cold feet about playing without Sherman and Chancellor.

Hard pass on this one.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just read he's making 8.5M and thinks he deserves more?  He should know better than most that you get paid for what you're going to do not what you did.  I think its kind of crazy that as a safety he thinks he deserves more than 8.5 and that somebody else will pay more.  Perhaps he's getting cold feet about playing without Sherman and Chancellor.

Hard pass on this one.

He's been the best FS in the league for a decade and allowed the Seahawks to play such an aggressive attacking style with oversized CBs and Cam roaming free. He's earned every bit of that money and someone is going to be happy to overpay for him now. 

26 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sean Taylor is a top 3 Washington Redskin in Washington Redskins history. 

I strongly disagree with that... he may have been on his way to that level, but the sad reality is that it was taken away from him (and the fans/organization) so we will never really know. He was very good his first three years, a great start to a career, but not yet quite a complete superstar. In 2007, that's when he had taken it to next level-- that's when he reached an all-league type level and you could even see the foundation of a HOF type career being built. But it only lasted half a season. Personally, DHall ranks ahead of ST for me simply based on the reality of their time in Washington. Had ST had a full career? Yeah, he was on his way to another level I think-- maybe one that would have even surpassed Darrell Green is Redskins lore-- but the terrible truth is that it was all taken away too soon to find out. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hard pass on this one.

I might be wrong but I believe his gripe isn't that he wants more money... he wants an extension.  He wants to play somewhere that has him in their future plans.   He wrote an article for the Players Tribune, basically saying he doesn't want to go through the final year of his deal and potentially get hurt, if the Seahawks have no interest in signing him.  He would rather put his body on the line for a team that does have long term ideas.  From what I read, he was not scorned at all either.  That he understands it's a business, and it's nothing personal. 

Just now, kleese said:

I strongly disagree with that... he may have been on his way to that level, but the sad reality is that it was taken away from him (and the fans/organization) so we will never really know. He was very good his first three years, a great start to a career, but not yet quite a complete superstar. In 2007, that's when he had taken it to next level-- that's when he reached an all-league type level and you could even see the foundation of a HOF type career being built. But it only lasted half a season. Personally, DHall ranks ahead of ST for me simply based on the reality of their time in Washington. Had ST had a full career? Yeah, he was on his way to another level I think-- maybe one that would have even surpassed Darrell Green is Redskins lore-- but the terrible truth is that it was all taken away too soon to find out. 

Took the words out of my mouth.  The guy had the talent to be one of the best safeties to ever play the game... but he never got there, by no fault of his own.  He COULD have been, and SHOULD have been.. and he'll always be remembered positively as a Redskin, but I can't say he was one of the 'BEST' 3 Redskins to touch a field.. not with how short his career was.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's been the best FS in the league for a decade and allowed the Seahawks to play such an aggressive attacking style with oversized CBs and Cam roaming free. He's earned every bit of that money and someone is going to be happy to overpay for him now. 

I'm not saying that he hasn't been a great player.  But you said it yourself, "decade".  He's not moving into the upside of his career.  I'm also not saying that he hasn't earned the contract that he's currently playing on.  It would seem as if his beef though is that he should be locked up long term for a lot more money.  He has an opportunity to cash in after this season as he's a UFA on the last year of his deal. 

So basically a team would have to give up assets to get him and then sign him to a LTD at market setting safety money.  In a league where it would seem they are trying to eliminate the safety position all together with their rule changes.

Sorry, but I just can't see where it would be a good idea for the Redskins to be the team to do that.

20 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I might be wrong but I believe his gripe isn't that he wants more money... he wants an extension. 

In a league where the cap goes up every year and their once record breaking contract lasts maybe one offseason, when they say they want an extension they also want more money whether they say that or not.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In a league where the cap goes up every year and their once record breaking contract lasts maybe one offseason, when they say they want an extension they also want more money whether they say that or not.

Well yeah, but he's not 'holding out' to get a payday.  From what I gather, he want's to have security.  I can't blame him either.  Why would I want to get into a car accident for 16 games, risking major injury, when I KNOW the team wants to move on after the season?  At that point, let me go somewhere that WANTS me to be there for the years after, where I know I'm going to have an impact, and that god forbid, i have a career ending injury, that it's not just 'over'. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sorry, but I just can't see where it would be a good idea for the Redskins to be the team to do that.

We have Smith for a couple years, Reed, Norman, Trent, kerrigan, etc, a bunch of aging quality vets that aren't going to be around much longer for us. If we're going to win with this team, the time is now. 

Thomas allows DJ to roam the line and middle and let's Norman attack underneath without worrying about the deep ball. Adding Thomas improves everything our defense wants to do. 

Yes, it's a win now move and a one player away kind of move and imo the right one. There's nothing behind Nicholson, but let him develop behind the best for a couple years. 

We've got a solid looking youth movement of players we've drafted. I want to win now as well as down the road. Earl Thomas elevates this defense to a league best. 

28 minutes ago, kleese said:

Heart and passion.

Khalil Mack is that player for me... I mentioned he'd be available over a year ago... Now, especially with the coaches brother in charge of possibly getting rid of him, you've got to see what it would take... 

I think Preston Smith has a ton of potential and may even be a stud... but there's really only Von Miller/Khalil Mack... and then everyone else. Immediately a top 5 defense. Defense wins championships.

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have Smith for a couple years, Reed, Norman, Trent, kerrigan, etc, a bunch of aging quality vets that aren't going to be around much longer for us. If we're going to win with this team, the time is now. 

Thomas allows DJ to roam the line and middle and let's Norman attack underneath without worrying about the deep ball. Adding Thomas improves everything our defense wants to do. 

Yes, it's a win now move and a one player away kind of move and imo the right one. There's nothing behind Nicholson, but let him develop behind the best for a couple years. 

We've got a solid looking youth movement of players we've drafted. I want to win now as well as down the road. Earl Thomas elevates this defense to a league best. 

Counting on Nicholson to be good and healthy is not something I'm in love with either.  I just don't see how the Skins can afford to give up something and pay a safety in excess of 10M per season long term to an aging vet, albeit a really good one.

36 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Well yeah, but he's not 'holding out' to get a payday.  From what I gather, he want's to have security.  I can't blame him either.  Why would I want to get into a car accident for 16 games, risking major injury, when I KNOW the team wants to move on after the season?  At that point, let me go somewhere that WANTS me to be there for the years after, where I know I'm going to have an impact, and that god forbid, i have a career ending injury, that it's not just 'over'. 

I'm not saying that I blame him and I can understand why he wants a long term deal.  But it's always about money.  Security = money.  We saw a similar situation right before our own eyes.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not saying that I blame him and I can understand why he wants a long term deal.  But it's always about money.  Security = money.  We saw a similar situation right before our own eyes.

Yeah, this feels a bit different, but you're right.  A large part of what (in my opinion) he's thinking could be that monetary security, but part could simply be that he knows he's no gonna be with Seattle.. They're likely to not amount to anything, and he knows his career is on the down slope, so why destroy his body another year in that uni, when he can do it in a uni that he's committed to.  

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hard pass on this one.

Agreed, hard pass for me too.  No doubt he has been a great player during his time with the Seahawks and is potentially a hall of famer.  But I feel like trading valuable assets in terms of high draft picks and/or premier players, because he isn't coming cheap, is reminiscent of the 2000 era redskins. (Also similar to Alex smith trade, I'll get to that in a minute).  The 2000 redskins were exhibit A on how not to build a team.  If we had an aging team and Thomas was the one player we needed to get a ring before our window of opportunity closes, maybe consider it.  But we are a young team that is ascending, let's keep the cap space and draft picks for younger players who will hit their prime at the same time the bulk of the team is hitting their prime as well.

But I am probably in the minority of skins fans who support the Alex smith trade, but don't want to trade for Earl Thomas.  I would guess most fans either agree with trading for both players, or they are against trading for both players.  And for me, it's all due to the position. Although both thomas and smith are on the backside of their careers, a safety is going to lose his effectiveness faster once he starts losing his elite quickness.  A QB can stay in his prime for longer, because the physical skills needed don't deteriorate as quickly, and growth with experience and mental side can actually lead to improvement during your 30s.  Plus with such a young locker room, I want the QB, who is the face and leader of the team, to be as solid as possible.  The young players will benefit from his leadership and establishing a culture of winning.  I don't feel a safety would have as big of an impact in that regard, and in turn would rather retain our assets, so a hard pass on Thomas for me as well 

If we go another season with a good defense losing games and not being able to put teams away because the ball is going behind the defense and guys have to worry about anyone getting behind them and are unable to gamble, that 10 mil will look like a bargain. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've been close in the draft the last few years to getting a solid FS. It went unadressed again. Hopefully Nicholson is what they think he is, but I doubt it. Id love to sign Thomas. 

Derwin James comes to mind, we picked Payne over him. I hope Payne lives up to the hype because James has the right tools for elite status DB. 

26 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

Derwin James comes to mind, we picked Payne over him. I hope Payne lives up to the hype because James has the right tools for elite status DB. 

James is a SS and you don't draft those that high, especially if you don't have a FS. 

Thomas is on the decline physically, so his play will be less effective just based on that alone. Take into account switching teams, new defense, new teammates, etc. and I don't think he'll be able to produce at a level relative to what he will ask in salary and what Seattle will ask for in compensation.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

James is a SS and you don't draft those that high, especially if you don't have a FS. 

I don’t quite agree with this, many very successful NFL safeties are drafted as strong safety’s and moved to FS. If you have a chance to draft a prospect like Derwin James you take him. He is already lining up at FS for San Diego. 

On 8/7/2018 at 11:24 AM, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Why do i feel like our fanbase takes pride or enjoys not cheering for the underdog?

Just my opinion - we overvalue guys and make them out to be superstars in how we talk about them.  The OP has a right to his opinion, which is not something i mean to downgrade, because he didnt do what i just mentioned.  It just so happens I chose to share my opinion on his post, which happens on message boards - that I feel he is the next guy we talk up a ton but really never hear from.  I root for anyone for the Redskins, I just find it funny how we overvalue people, as well as undervaluing people.

I think we all do it though, including myself.  I am rooting HARD for Robert Davis to succeed, because he has intangibles that are excellent for a WR.  He's a speedy tall guy.  Obviously he hasn't shown enough to become the #4 WR yet but I hope he can succeed.  Maybe he's my Anthony Mix?  

I think the flip side of it, is we downplay vets way too often.  We always want the next best thing, and if someone is making a few mil, they are someone we should get rid of.  For example - DHall won us a few games (MVP of the game you might say) and the next year i heard so many people wanting to ax him.  Same last year with Norman (and this year).  

I think we all want to have the best team on the field, and we all love to be sideline GMs.  so therefore we have these things to look for.  I absolutely could have phrased my post better :)

Archived