Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

Chris Russell just now echoing with others have said including Paulsen and Cooley and that is they suspect it will be an internal hire.  Maybe it is idle speculation buy all three of them know people at Redskins Park, there could be something to it.  Hopefully it does end up idle speculation. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/03/15/fired-gm-scot-mccloughan-wasnt-that-essential-anyhow-according-to-redskins-tv-show/?utm_term=.ecb85716b226

Then Michael read a note from “Jimmy in La Plata” suggesting the team consider Doug Williams for the GM role instead of the NFL Network’s Mike Mayock.

“Well, I know Mike Mayock first of all, and again, you talk about misinformation, you talk about something that is not accurate,” Michael said. “You saw Mike Mayock come out and completely deny the fact that he was being considered for the general manager position. I can tell you right now, he’s not being considered for the general manager position. … Where these stories come from, I do not know. Where they’re made up, I do not know. But Jimmy from La Plata has hit it right on the head: Doug Williams is in the building, Doug Williams has been a scout.

“A lot of people don’t know — they remember Doug as an MVP of Super Bowl XXII, 35 points in 18 plays, great quarterback in Redskins history,” Michael said. “A lot of people don’t know that since his playing days, Doug has been a lifelong scout. He knows good talent when he sees it, and again, he’s in the building. There wouldn’t be a better representative of the Washington Redskins than Doug Williams as a general manager. So who knows which way this job search will go, what direction it will head, but I’m with Jimmy in La Plata: I like Doug Williams a lot. And don’t believe everything you hear about TV personalities or TV football people being considered for the general manager job.”

I think people have to consider that the Redskins are not hiring whom they want to hire, but are hiring who will take the job.  I think this has been an on going thing with the for years.  I think the Gibbs hire was clearly different, but certainly every top level hire since then seems  like it has been more of a, this person will take the job (because they have limited options based on what they want) and less of, this is the best person out there for the job.

If I was an up and coming NFL executive, I'm not sure I'd leave a stable situation to take a GM job for the Redskins.  You get guys that nobody else is really high on because the people that are really qualified won't take the job.

Except that Gruden was an up and coming coach that they signed prior to anyone else.

I can see your point, but even the Scot's hire goes against that somehow.

And since they're only 32 jobs in the NFL, I should even say 30 because Bill Belichick and Jerry Jones, if you are an up and comer you have to go for the GM job at Redskins Park, because stable situation are going to remain stable, and won't give you an opportunity. So it's either you go there and clean up the mess, or you wait for many years until a better opportunity rise where 10 guys at least will took a chance on.

Try to read that from BRBN, it'll help:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/411481-wp-despite-tumult-redskins-will-find-‘no-shortage’-of-gm-job-seekers-one-analyst-says/

Dan Snyder "We are conducting an exhaustive and comprehensive search, one that cant be rushed, to find the absolute best person able to lead this organization forward in an upward direction.  We are extremely confident in both Bruce and the rest of our dedicated team, in their tireless efforts towards bringing us closer to continuing our proud tradition and closer to winning a Super Bowl, in their relentless search for the perfect individual to do everything we tell him to do."

I'm very skeptical anyone with options really wants to come here. That leaves three possibilities:

(1) internal hire (not sure anyone would really be excited for that);

(2) a Bruce retread (think Mark Dominik); or

(3) someone with out other options (I'd say a guy like Mike Mayock probably fits here. He has a job, but if he wanted an NFL GM position, I doubt there are many teams knocking down that door given his age and lack of front office experience)

So pick your poison on which you prefer.

Doug has been very successful at life and football, taking that terrible Tampa team to their first 3 playoff appearances and the 1979 NFC Championship game is just as impressive as his Superbowl victory.  I think players will like and respect him.

4 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Doug has been very successful at life and football, taking that terrible Tampa team to their first 3 playoff appearances and the 17 NFC Championship game is just as impressive as his Superbowl victory.  I think players will like and respect him.

Cool. They can all be buds.

But who's drafting the players?

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Well the question is do they want a GM who drafts players or someone who just sets the board, doesn't seem like they want a real GM based on what's been written, if what we have read is true.

I like Doug Williams and what he did for this team but if he was/is so good why did the team pick up SM and why didn't Doug do a better job prior to SM?

20 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

We might as well settle for an internal hire.

Any good ones we find outside of Redskins Park will inevitably clash with the powers that be here and leave anyway.

Most people who would want the job I would think would want control. DS isn't going to give that up. Doug has been here for long enough to know what DS wants and to just be a yes man.

I don't want Doug Williams as the GM.

I am a bit concerned about how extensive his scouting resume actually is, but more than that, I want to remember him as a Redskins hero.

The image of him in the superbowl. hobbling around throwing touchdowns for fun is one that still makes me smile. I don't want to remember him as the guy who got sacked and smeared even though he was just implementing Bruce's failed master plan.

I realise that Doug and Bruce may turn out to be the best GM/overlord combo in NFL history, but I doubt it. I also realise that 'sacked and smeared' sounds a bit pervy, but you know what I mean.

Just want to add that I'm not completely sure that Bruce is the bad guy in all this, Scot's drinking may well have become a major problem. I was just thinking worse case scenario.

23 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pretty much.  Allen deals with the players, the Skins need a GM.  Not digging the Doug Williams rumors.   I wish Martin Mayhew hadn't signed with the 9ers.  He checks a lot of boxes.

Would anyone from the outside with a strong personality come work for the Redskins? It just won't work.  It's going to be Doug. Just hope they don't do him dirty like they did Scot. That might push me over the edge if they do anything wrong to Doug Williams. 

A Williams hire would be the ultimate of sucktitude. A lackey with no history of being a GM in charge, no history of draft greatness, just a history of being a good player for this franchise. A figurehead for Danny and Bruce to work as a puppet. I have no reason to believe that he is anything other than a great person, but no one has reason to believe in his GM abilities either. For his sake, I hope that he is not a serious candidate.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

A Williams hire would be the ultimate of sucktitude. A lackey with no history of being a GM in charge, no history of draft greatness, just a history of being a good player for this franchise. A figurehead for Danny and Bruce to work as a puppet. I have no reason to believe that he is anything other than a great person, but no one has reason to believe in his GM abilities either. For his sake, I hope that he is not a serious candidate.

I'm willing to give it a shot and be positive if Doug is hired.  Elway didn't have any front office experience and he's done pretty well. Doug has been a scout, player, coach, he's more qualified than Elway was. Plus he'll still have the Allen's cronies in the building for support. 

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

I'm willing to give it a shot and be positive if Doug is hired.  Elway didn't have any front office experience and he's done pretty well. Doug has been a scout, player, coach, he's more qualified than Elway was. Plus he'll still have the Allen's cronies in the building for support. 

I see your point...sadly I guess we've all become accustomed to "settling" by now.

Archived