Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, I Love The Skins said:

What about Louis Riddick he has been here before? He's been mentioned as a GM candiitate?

Please for the love of God, NO!

This was the architect of Philadelphia's Dream Team - dude is Uber Snyder when it comes to overspending on big names. This was Vinny's lapdog. 

During the Gibbs era, when they put Scott Campbell in charge of pro personnel, they brought in Griffin, Washington, and several other decent FAs. Then Riddick and Campbell changed places, and suddenly under Campbell our draft improved, but with Riddick bringing the coaches film and evaluation for pro personnel we were trading for that bust WR from SF and a king's ransom for Archuleta.

20 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

It's going to be Doug Williams, what outside GM candidate will want the job after what happen to Scott. 

Devil's avocado here- I'm a qualified candidate. Give me a 5 year guaranteed contract to GM, gotta pay me even if I'm fired and no one in the industry will think less of me for this organization letting me go. Get paid either way and no real downside. If I make it work, I'm a legend.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Devil's avocado here- I'm a qualified candidate. Give me a 5 year guaranteed contract to GM, gotta pay me even if I'm fired and no one in the industry will think less of me for this organization letting me go. Get paid either way and no real downside. If I make it work, I'm a legend.

Weeell if you put it that way, I guess so. FYI, Devil's Eggs makes better GMs than Devil's Avocados. Just Sayin'!

12 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

It's going to be Doug Williams, what outside GM candidate will want the job after what happen to Scott. 

some in the media think hes the top choice because he knows his place with bruce, he will defer to him without talking back and people in that building like him.  They also seem to think that the fans would love the move because we would be swept up in 1987 nostalgia.  For me id hate it.  No one talks about doug williams as a top evaluator, even those that plug him seem to center it on how he is a great guy. I dont want just a great guy, i want a great evaluator.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

some in the media think hes the top choice because he knows his place with bruce, he will defer to him without talking back and people in that building like him.  They also seem to think that the fans would love the move because we would be swept up in 1987 nostalgia.  For me id hate it.  No one talks about doug williams as a top evaluator, even those that plug him seem to center it on how he is a great guy. I dont want just a great guy, i want a great evaluator.

No ex jocks please.  I want a guy that is obsessed with game tape.  Preferably someone on the spectrum, but thats not a deal breaker

I like the way Jim Irsay ran his GM search. Grab 5 or 6 of the top Personnel evaluators in the league. Interview them all. Pick the best (KC's Chris Ballard). Hire him. 

Of course, we'd never do this for the following reasons. 

1). Job is less desirable because of Snyder's reputation. Probably couldn't get the top guys to interview. 

2). We like to do everything in secret. Our candidates will remain quiet. e. g. Who else interviewed for the GM position against Scot. No idea...

3). Bruce only likes to hire people he already knows. He doesn't want to cede control. 

Now in fairness, it seems that only certain type of people can succeed in Redskin Park culture. Per Gary Fitzgerald, if you remain an outsider, you'll leave. So they have to pick someone who can buy into Snyderland. 

Scot told NBC 4 that Bruce wants a "yes man."  I'm imagining the top guys aren't that. 

We should be going after the next Bobby Bethard, but would a young Bobby want to work for our Owner?

Ugh...

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I vote for @stevemcqueen1

I'd go for him but he seems too enamored for my taste with the Qbs in this years draft, am not on the same page there.  But he's a pro Kirk guy so I don't think he will play games like Bruce and get a deal done. :)  So on that point alone, I'm on board.  He seems though too strong willed for Bruce.

I am not criticizing Doug Williams as a person, at all.  I think he is under qualified to be a GM, but I would absolutely love for him to prove me wrong and be the next Bobby Beathard.

However, it's Snyder and Allen who pick the next GM.  So the criteria they use won't be skill at evaluating personnel, but stuff like ass-kissing, will the media like him, will the fans like him, was this man a former Redskins great, and, yes, the racial checkbox will be one of the things they consider.

Are there any front office people in the NFL with Native American ancestry?  Who are willing to come work in this dumpster fire, to be given the GM title but not the GM authority?  If so, they will be top candidates also.

So right now they are following Ex-GMSM's FA list and draft board, per reports. It makes sense to give Campbell a shot as he worked up from the bottom to the near top... give him the interim title.

Mayock has been considered by other teams before... I believe Oakland, it isn't that far-fetched.

I think we've been too tight the last few offseasons, we carried to much cap into the season with such a craptastic D. Yes, build through the draft, but sign enough guys that Kedric Golston is never in discussions as a starting NT.

10 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

So right now they are following Ex-GMSM's FA list and draft board, per reports. It makes sense to give Campbell a shot as he worked up from the bottom to the near top... give him the interim title.

Mayock has been considered by other teams before... I believe Oakland, it isn't that far-fetched.

I think we've been too tight the last few offseasons, we carried to much cap into the season with such a craptastic D. Yes, build through the draft, but sign enough guys that Kedric Golston is never in discussions as a starting NT.

Scott Campbell based on his position in the organization is used to deferring and has direct experience deferring to Bruce -- so that would be a plus, I gather to them.  When I see or listen to him the rare times he does interviews he comes off like a nice guy but very low key/not much personality.   His drafts here have been up and down -- I know the common refrain by his supporters is he gives great takes but no one listens.    Maybe so.  But then I circle back to personality -- I'd like a guy with some backbone/toughness who could push for what they believe in.  I gather Bruce might not dig that but I'd still prefer it. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Scott Campbell based on his position in the organization is used to deferring and has direct experience deferring to Bruce -- so that would be a plus, I gather to them.  When I see or listen to him the rare times he does interviews he comes off like a nice guy but very low key/not much personality.   His drafts here have been up and down -- I know the common refrain by his supporters is he gives great takes but no one listens.    Maybe so.  But then I circle back to personality -- I'd like a guy with some backbone/toughness who could push for what they believe in.  I gather Bruce might not dig that but I'd still prefer it. 

And he and his backbone would be FIRED!!! But that is what you'd want from your GM.

8 minutes ago, #1skinsfanever said:

And he and his backbone would be FIRED!!! But that is what you'd want from your GM.

Yeah for me I want a guy with backbone -- and maybe there is someone who has the right balance of having backbone and can kiss up at the same time.  If you buy into what some insiders say Scot could be intense when he fought for what he wanted to do.  While I liked that maybe there is a happy medium that's more palatable to Bruce?

I've watched Doug Williams plenty over the years, he just strikes me too much as an aw shucks, super nice guy.  That makes him endearing as a player but its not the personality I want in a GM but the kicker is like I said no one talks about Doug being this maestro talent evaluator.  The things I hear about Doug is he works hard and is a really cool guy who is revered. 

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah for me I want a guy with backbone -- and maybe there is someone who has the right balance of having backbone and can kiss up at the same time.  If you buy into what some insiders say Scot could be intense when he fought for what he wanted to do.  While I liked that maybe there is a happy medium that's more palatable to Bruce?

I've watched Doug Williams plenty over the years, he just strikes me too much as an aw shucks, super nice guy.  That makes him endearing as a player but its not the personality I want in a GM but the kicker is like I said no one talks about Doug being this maestro talent evaluator.  The things I hear about Doug is he works hard and is a really cool guy who is revered. 

Yeah and what we want and need I don't think we will get and that is a shame.

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hmmm, though not likely, if Bruce were to get canned, Doug could be a good VP. Then find an experienced talent evaluator for GM.

Archived