Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

You want a GM guys are gonna respect and relate to. WAnt to play for. Doug has stripes being a former player and is no idiot according to Gibbs. He may even have some HBCU connects that can hip him to an occasional diamond in the rough. All he needs is a shot, can't get any worse can it.

4 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

You want a GM guys are gonna respect and relate to. WAnt to play for. Doug has stripes being a former player and is no idiot according to Gibbs. He may even have some HBCU connects that can hip him to an occasional diamond in the rough. All he needs is a shot, can't get any worse can it.

There is nothing in Doug's resume that says he is a excellent talent evaluator. That is what we need. I'd be more than fine with him in Bruce Allen's position as team President. But talent guy? Nope.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:46 PM, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thought it would good to have a place to discuss potential candidates rather than cluster the other thread about Snyder, Scot, Aleen, etc.

I think Bruce wants to take control of the wheel again.  Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Skins to hire a real GM.

1 hour ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Hmmm, though not likely, if Bruce were to get canned, Doug could be a good VP. Then find an experienced talent evaluator for GM.

Bruce being canned tough for me to see in play.   Though Vinny thinks if us fans-ticket holders keep vocally complain it might happen because Dan and his mom and sister pay attention to that.   Maybe Vinny jockeying for his job back? 

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

There is nothing in Doug's resume that says he is a excellent talent evaluator. That is what we need. I'd be more than fine with him in Bruce Allen's position as team President. But talent guy? Nope.

^This x3. Williams may have a history with this franchise, but he really doesn't have anything in his resume to suggest that he is remotely qualified to be a competent GM.

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Come on, that's despicable. Can we at least all agree that if Doug Williams gets promoted, it's on the merits of his own ass-kissing and not due to his race? 

Tampa isn't a race. 

8 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Another reason why it's going to be Doug Williams: The team gets to tick off that racial checkbox, first black Redskins GM. Synder is probably clueless enough to think that it helps him with the name change crowd.

Was that a thing? Never heard anyone care. Does it matter?

5 hours ago, Ron78 said:

I think Bruce wants to take control of the wheel again.  Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Skins to hire a real GM.

Agreed, everything I've read or seen referenced seems to me that there's going to be different departments or people in charge of reporting to Allen about different things, with the final decision left to him.  His less-than-stellar track record since coming on board doesn't have my confident that he is going to succeed.  Outside of the past two years, the only winning season under Bruce Allen was the fluke year with RGIII. 

It's going to be Doug Williams because Bruce and Dan like to swing for the fences and think they're smarter than everyone else by taking shortcuts.  

Undo 20 years of mistakes with just one move!  He's got everything folks!  The Tampa connection with Gruden!  The former player to appease the fans with name recognition!  The internal hire to show he's secretly been part of our plan all along!  The big media reveal to show the perfect candidate was under our noses all this time!  The new savior to bring back the glory days from when we were still a respected franchise!  He wins Super Bowls ON the field, he must be able to win them OFF the field too!

They'll hire Doug Williams because he checks too many PR boxes to possibly fail.  And it will blow up in their face because he doesn't check the one box that matters.  Being the best candidate to do the actual job.

55 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Do we have any drafts that we can attribute to Williams and look at? 

Pull up Doug Williams profile on Redskins.com and check his history as being associated with TB then go to this link:  http://www.buccaneers.com/team-and-stats/history/draft-history.html and click on the years he was involved.  Nothing to write home about, ConnSKins.

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Do we have any drafts that we can attribute to Williams and look at? 

IMO. you'll want someone outside of the organization.  Mayock is the only person mentioned and Schefter isn't going to pull this one out of his hat.  Mayock is good friends with Gruden and Snyder is enamored with Mayock.  I'd like to see Mayock get a shot at being the next Scot McCloughan.  I think his tough, Philly attitude and straight up character would benefit the Redskins immensely. 

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

IMO. you'll want someone outside of the organization.  Mayock is the only person mentioned and Schefter isn't going to pull this one out of his hat.  Mayock is good friends with Gruden and Snyder is enamored with Mayock.  I'd like to see Mayock get a shot at being the next Scot McCloughan.  I think his tough, Philly attitude and straight up character would benefit the Redskins immensely. 

Maybe.

He'll fit until he disagrees with Bruce if all the reports of him being an egomaniac pile of **** are true.

According To Scot, Jay is pretty good at evaluating guys. Maybe we could give him control over personnel if he wants To.. .

5 hours ago, ddub52 said:

When I think of Doug Williams (post playing career), this video always comes to mind. 

Maybe I just missed it but I didn't hear him say anything about strangling him. Was it as the beginning? There has to be more than this to the story.

I have met Doug Williams and he could not have been nicer. he signed a hat, a football and the SB XXVI video for me. Also, I have heard of other people meeting him and saying the same thing. He is always friendly.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe.

He'll fit until he disagrees with Bruce if all the reports of him being an egomaniac pile of **** are true.

According To Scot, Jay is pretty good at evaluating guys. Maybe we could give him control over personnel if he wants To.. .

How much do we know this to be true about Bruce? We know Dan has control issues. And maybe Bruce is just his henchman so it looks like Dan is more hands off. Or maybe Bruce is a ego crazy maniac. It just all sounds too convenient. I often wonder if Dan had not been such an ass and driven a wedge between him and the media in the early years, would it be this bad. It seems like whatever is reported is done to put the team and the FO in the worst light possible. Like they are holding and carrying this grudge for ever.

Not saying none of it's true. But I just wonder how much is true and how much is exaggeration.

To the OP - there are a lot of potential GM candidates. Here is a short list from MMQB. Its as good as any. Hopefully they are starting with a list like this:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017

Tampa Bay went from SB champion to bottom of the barrel almost overnight after Rich McKay stepped aside as GM. The other Gruden and his lackeys made terrible personnel decisions and put together second rate defensive staffs after Lovie Smith et al were lured away elsewhere.

Bruce Allen was hired off the street to bring Shanahan in at the end of the year. Were it not for Red Lobsterman, he'd still be unemployed. Since Lobsterman got deep fried, we've continued to dip into the fecal waters of Tampa's sewage to drudge out proven failures on defense and personnel. The only exception was McCloughan, which is why things were looking brighter.  Now he's gone, and it looks inevitable that we will once again be forced to inhale the stench of acquiescence, Florida style.

Mike Mayock, Scot Pioli, Eliot Wolf...any of them would likely be infinitely better at talent evaluation than what we have now; but... just as we passed on Wade Phillips to land Joe Barry, you know it's really only between Doug Williams and the Mark Dominik.

I seriously doubt they even show interest in anyone they feel they can't control. We all know who wants to be 'da man', so whoever they hire, it will likely be a former player or someone on Bruce's speed dial. 

Some will catch on, it may take awhile for the smoke to dissipate but when it does clear up a bit, look for the puppet strings with sailor knots on them...

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Grant Paulsen talked about it today, he thinks they likely got with Doug Williams.  Paulsen says Doug is closer to Bruce than anyone else at Redskins Park.  Paulsen said he's heard from people who worked with Doug, nice guy but unimpressive as an evaluator.

Sounds like idle speculation.

At this point, we all know that it doesn't matter who they parade around as the next GM.  Snyder/Allen make all the moves.  This is still just Snyder's fantasy football operation.  He's still trying to prove everybody wrong!  If you don't believe this to be true at this point, I feel sorry for you.

Archived