Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

On 4/1/2017 at 3:31 PM, Morneblade said:

I honestly don't think any GM here will have complete player control. I don't think Scot did either. If he did, why on earth would he have to go to Snyder to give Cousins a chance? Having to circumvent BA tells me that he had to go above BA (as far as the decision was concerned) because he did NOT have complete control of personnel. If he did, he just would have made the decision to go with Cousins and that would have been that.

Eh...most GMs across the league would need to pop in with the owner to make a permanent move away from the guy that the entire future was traded for a few short years earlier--especially since they were paying him 16M at that point. 

But I do agree, in general, that McCloughan clearly never had the "final say" we were told he did, outside of the draft. I do believe the story that it's tied to two things:

1. Someone else controlling the money, which isn't the case in most organizations.

2. The HC having final say over the 53 (with the GM having say over the 90, which the coaching staff at least has input on). This one is fairly common in organizations across the league. The HC should have more say in the 53. Maybe not "final say". 

Jason La Canfora suggested Eric Schaffer as GM and I think that would be a brilliant outside the box move.  He clearly has the trust of the organization.  He's been around 14 years.  Part of the problem with McCloughan is that he was new.  Schaffer will know how to deal with Allen and Snyder.  That's the real key to the position.  You put all of the actual talent evaluators under him to decide everything and Schaffer sells it to Allen/Snyder.  

On 3/23/2017 at 11:05 PM, Jericho said:

What do you do when no one wants to take your job? You go to the people that don't have options. 

We already did that.  McCloughan basically had no other options.  He needed a desperate franchise that would be willing to overlook his baggage.  I like Scot, but that's an honest assessment.  Any solid franchise would be able to attract someone just as good at talent evaluation with no baggage.  Thus why he was willing to take the job in DC.

The hire has to be a promotion from within.  No one outside the building is going to succeed.  You need someone who's been around for a while and knows how to work with Allen/Snyder.  Alex Santos would make a lot of sense.  He's been with the team for 11 years.  

Detailed article from Chris Russell on GM search

https://www.dchotread.com/2017/04/05/the-search-for-a-gm

Nobody knows for sure – exactly what Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder are thinking but it’s logical to add Nick Caserio of the New England Patriots to the mix along with Scott Fitterer of the Seattle Seahawks. 

Will McClay is also a name to keep an eye on because he’s helped to build a pretty good roster in Dallas with some high profile offensive draft talent and Dan Snyder has a terrific relationship with Jerry Jones. One could see the Redskins wanting to hurt the Cowboys by giving a promotion to McClay. 

George Paton of the Vikings is a name that has been in the mix for several jobs, as has Duke Tobin of the Cincinnati Bengals. 

Chris Polian, Bill’s son, could also be in the mix as well. There are others and the Redskins could go unconventional as well. I know it’s an extreme long-shot, but with the Redskins being the Redskins and needing a good PR jolt, I still wouldn’t rule out Jay Gruden’s brother, Jon. 

Internally, some people at Redskins Park are pushing for former Chargers GM A.J. Smith to return to Redskins Park, in some sort of capacity. 

Smith does not have a great relationship with Dan Snyder, per sources, but is extremely tight with Allen and is well respected by others. 

You might remember our column about what led the Redskins to McCloughan, which essentially was Smith’s adversarial relationship with Snyder over Robert Griffin III – which led to Snyder looking in a different direction from Allen’s preferred choice. 

Smith would certainly be open to coming out of retirement, via league sources, but it’s not expected to happen in Washington because of the past friction between Smith and Snyder. 

In the words of one source and this was verified by another source, even after Smith retired from the NFL – he and Snyder had a heated exchange over Griffin as he visited Richmond and training camp in August 2015. 

Bruce Allen and other owners of the organization were there and it was described as very testy.   

Smith, as it turns out was right. As was Jay Gruden along with Mike and Kyle Shanahan, among others. Griffin could not play 

One source insisted that the Redskins will cast a very wide net, unlike the McCloughan search and hire. 

Per multiple sources, the process will begin quickly after the draft as opposed to the McCloughan decision which was a fast and hasty search with few options. 

The Redskins want to provide the image and perhaps reality that the search will be thorough and legitimate. 

The Redskins would probably be wise to go outside of the organization to show the skeptics that you don’t have to be one of “Bruce’s guys” to get the job.McCloughan was a mixed bag. His father and brother worked with Allen in Oakland, so there was still a connection. 

Perhaps ust as important, the Redskins feel they must bring in somebody that the public thinks will challenge the status quo and the power that the “executive branch” often brings to the table. 

The person that is ultimately chosen would have to understand that there’s an opportunity to wrestle some control away from Allen and Snyder, assuming they have a good working relationship with all of the key decision makers, which includes head coach Jay Gruden. 

Two wild-card scenarios that I would keep in the back of your mind: Eric Schaffer is widely considered the smartest and most humble individual at Redskins Park. He’s spanned many coaches and several general managers, while never being given the chance to run more of the show. 

15 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Mayock's name resurfaces after the draft

Nor I Hail2 ... MM would add instant PR value and "respect" sorely needed by bruised and battered Redskins Org.

Everyone knows BA is "stealth Genmgr."

So why kid ... all that is needed is "Chief Talent Guru" and Mike fills that role as good as any.

I'm sick and tired of how poor the Skins are in the PR department.

The TEAM needs "splash" in players and elsewhere! 

Schaffer is a bad idea. He's a genius at what he does, and it would suck to lose him when we inevitably have to fire the next GM. Plus there's no reason to think that just because he's a wiz with contracts, that he has any sort of feel for player personnel or a vision for the organization. He's a lawyer who is good at math. And not analytics, but contracts. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Schaffer is a bad idea. He's a genius at what he does, and it would suck to lose him when we inevitably have to fire the next GM. Plus there's no reason to think that just because he's a wiz with contracts, that he has any sort of feel for player personnel or a vision for the organization. He's a lawyer who is good at math. And not analytics, but contracts. 

I agree with this. But I also would never let him leave, even if that means paying him more than what our GM, whoever that may be, makes. 

2 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I agree with this. But I also would never let him leave, even if that means paying him more than what our GM, whoever that may be, makes. 

He's also the team's general counsel, I'm sure he's paid handsomely. 

38 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

@ConnSKINS26 can you explain the role as "team's general counsel" ? I couldnt find anything on this. Intriguing title

Almost positive I read it from one of the beat reporters. Basically means he's kept on retainer to advise the team on legal matters. I've been under the impression that he's basically the Redskins in-house lawyer, on top of his cap guy duties.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:53 PM, saltydog75 said:

We already did that.  McCloughan basically had no other options.  He needed a desperate franchise that would be willing to overlook his baggage.  I like Scot, but that's an honest assessment.  Any solid franchise would be able to attract someone just as good at talent evaluation with no baggage.  Thus why he was willing to take the job in DC.

That's why I wasn't as high not he hire as many others. Mind you, I was thrilled that we hired an actual GM and McLovin clearly had the scout's eye that we desperately needed in that job. I was therefore hopeful it would work out.

However, hiring a guy with alcohol issues who had been out of NFL front offices for a while smacked of "hey, here's a guy who won't mind Allen overruling him", since he really didn't have other options. I was hoping for an up and coming bright young mind, along the lines of Wolf or Ballard. But guys like that wouldn't accept not having real control. And that's what worried me about Scott.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

A name to keep in mind for the GM position is Michael Lombardi.  Just mentioning this.  Has ties to Allen and Raiders from past years.

Unlike someone like Mayock, this would actually be pretty savvy. I have no idea if there has been any contact, but he has a very impressive resume.

I don't think you can lure Pioli here, and I really doubt Snyder/Allen can pry anyone away from the Patriots FO.

I also feel the Skins really need to look outside their organization for a skilled, proven football executive with player personnel evaluating expertise.  So, not William, not Schaffer, and not an unproven (albeit talented) candidate such as Mayock.

Below are some possible candidates for Skins GM -- in order of my preference -- mainly from teams that seem to build well through the draft:

Omar Khan –currently the Steelers' vice president of football and business administration.  I suspect he's benefited from working under with Colbert -- a great collector of NFL talent. ( In 13 seasons with the organization Khan/Colbert in have drafted and signed or extended 23 Pro Bowl Players.). A real worker bee, by reputation, and someone who's worked his way up the ranks.

Jimmy Raye III -- currently the Indianapolis Colts vice president of football operations – I like how the Colts continue to rebuild -- they were in much worse shape than the Skins in 2012, before they drafted Luck.  Indy's become a reliably competitive franchise, and seems to do fairly well in the draft and free agency.  Also Raye's skill set seems like he'd fit with Allen's way of wanting to work.  Raye bio seems to indicate he's a very smart executive too. 

Trent Kirchner -- Currently the Seahawks FO co-director of player personnel. Another of the Seahawk's vaunted player personnel brain trust.  Either Seahawks' co-director would do, but Kirchner looks willing to try even the lowliest of franchises -- so why not the Skins? 

As an outlier, perhaps Skins might also interview the Giants FO's director of player evaluation, Marc Ross.  He's a little further down my list, but the Giants do tend to field fairly decent players -- and their drafts aren't that bad. 

My prediction would be Doug Williams. A hero among the Redskin faithful and that's pretty good in regards to public relations. He's would be more and less a yes-man until he feels more comfortable in the position. Basically Allen and Snyder will be running the show.

16 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Morocco Brown is resurfacing as a candidate.  He's a no-nonsense type who is all about football.  I wouldn't hate this idea.

https://www.dchotread.com/2017/03/26/a-roc-to-lean-on

He is only being mentioned as a candidate by Chris Russell. I am not against Brown being the GM. But there is nothing in here that suggests anyone but Chris Russell thinks it's someone they should bring in.

Brown sort of took a shot at the organization (surprise surprise, who doesn't, right?) when he signed with the Browns after he left here. 

Said something to the effect of "my title now [with the Browns] represents what I was actually doing with the Skins". I remember that because I hated to read it. 

It's possible he may not have meant it as a shot, but it was one in my mind. 

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He is only being mentioned as a candidate by Chris Russell. I am not against Brown being the GM. But there is nothing in here that suggests anyone but Chris Russell thinks it's someone they should bring in.

True, but he does make a lot of sense. And I would say he is even qualified for the job. Which might mean that he doesn't even get a call. :blink:

On 4/7/2017 at 11:04 PM, RWJ said:

A name to keep in mind for the GM position is Michael Lombardi.  Just mentioning this.  Has ties to Allen and Raiders from past years.

Didn't Lombardi fail at his last couple of stints? I seem to remember him going back to Cleveland and getting canned after a couple years.

Archived