Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That works for me but then that's a positive for Doug Williams.  Out of all the personal people we have on the team he's the one I don't want to see get the gig as GM.  I'd be intrigued with Louis Riddick if they could convince him to become GM.  Don't know the chances of that happening but....you know.

Yeah I hate to keep pounding on Doug but I think that would be a bad hire.  Reddick just always struck me as super sharp, I wouldn't mind him as a hire at all. 

It means in essence they are splitting the GM duties among current staff, likely Allen, Campbell and maybe Williams.  I would guess Campbell has say over the college scouting, Allen will have say over free agency, and Williams will have whatever is left over.  

It also means what many of us were saying all along was correct.  The Redskins did not fire McCloughan for alcohol, that was a convenient excuse.  In reality, Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen didnt like the power a GM had, and wanted to take what LITTLE power they had given out back.  It was clear early on that how they handled his replacement would tell all you needed to know about what actually happened.  If it was about performance and drinking, they would hire a real GM to replace him.  If it was about power, they would give a pretend search, and then not hire a GM.  Snyder was embarrassed 2 years ago, and it caused him to finally do what really needed to be done.  Dan Snyders no longer embarased, and he no longer needs any help.

There you have it folks.

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I didn't know the team had to submit plans to anyone for any of their structuring if it didn't involve new hires.

Its because the rule requires you to interview a minority candidate.  Firing a GM, and then not replacing him is highly irregular, but teams could use "just splitting up the duties, technically we have no GM now" as a loophole to avoid the rule.  

23 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

It means in essence they are splitting the GM duties among current staff, likely Allen, Campbell and maybe Williams.  I would guess Campbell has say over the college scouting, Allen will have say over free agency, and Williams will have whatever is left over.  

It also means what many of us were saying all along was correct.  The Redskins did not fire McCloughan for alcohol, that was a convenient excuse.  In reality, Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen didnt like the power a GM had, and wanted to take what LITTLE power they had given out back.

Apparently Scot himself said that Snyder never meddled, and even when he offered to show Snyder his draft board Snyder declined and said "I trust you".

Sounds like a definite power grab to me, yep.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is no demand for Campbell or Doug elsewhere or if that demand does exist it goes well below the radar and doesn't result in even interviews

Very important point.  The default assumption should be that there's a reason none of the other 31 teams want them as GM.  If someone thinks all the other teams are wrong, they need to provide a reason for that.  A reason other than throwing 5 TDs in a Super Bowl 30 years ago.

For example: Jim Zorn was a decent QB coach.  Nobody in the league except the Redskins wanted him as a OC, let alone HC.  And then we saw why. 

If this report is true, I've got one word for it. Pathetic. 

They're just so much smarter than the rest of the league, aren't they? Must've been so exciting for them to get praised for whatever added responsibilities they had after firing Scot that they forgot they were still mainly operating off of his work. "We're all good now, it was never necessary to hire a GM in the first place, that position is unnecessary, Allen was just being stupid back then in following what the vast majority of successful franchises do!!" 

Back to the random smorgasbord of meaningless titles where no one really knows who's accountable for what, no real hierarchy exists besides Allen/Snyder's ultimate power, coaches have too much (short-sighted) say, and responsibilities are intertwined and easily undermined. 

The magical "Redskins board" is back. Oh, and when things start going south suddenly no one will have played a role in building that board, their perfect rankings were ignored by whomever is deemed the next expendable scapegoat/s (usually the coaches), and all who stay on had nothing to do with anything that went wrong as they backstab and betray their way to retaining their jobs. 

The Redskins FO under Snyder. Yay. 

There's only one solution left for us: Find us a rich dude to pay Micky C for scouting grades, and bribe one of the janitors to slip those grades into one of the desks in the office every few months. It's fool proof. Allen will just be amazed at how advanced Scot's plans were and use them as a guide again.

That's basically what they did for this draft, so how hard can it be?

28 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I didn't know the team had to submit plans to anyone for any of their structuring if it didn't involve new hires.

Fitz Pollard Alliance promoted diversity in NFL front offices, so likely the Skins reporting their FO structure to NFL has to do with Rooney Rule compliance.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Thanks for taking a stab at it lol...that was my question, too.

No problem.

I'd really prefer the team hire a GM because now, no matter how duties are split, fans are just going to carry on and on with the power hungry Allen, we are doomed, woe is us routine and use it to continue to excuse Scot's wrecklessness. 

Hopefully they promote someone to VP and elevate others, assign a defacto GM like some of the successful FOs.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There you go, SIP.  I mentioned Mike Lombardi and he dropped a big nugget right there.   We pretty much know it anyway.  He probably knew this right after they let go of Scot M.  Fans are going to rave about this but will BA care?  Probably not.  Now, the biggest agenda w/o question is your franchise QB.  Do you offer him the money he's earned and wants or do you let him walk next year? 

25 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Apparently Scot himself said that Snyder never meddled, and even when he offered to show Snyder his draft board Snyder declined and said "I trust you".

Sounds like a definite power grab to me, yep.

Thats just absurd. Are you really going to pretend you do not see the really really obvious writing on the wall?  

So when Scot, currently employed by the team, was asked about the owner he said nice things about the owner?  And Dan Snyder once said "I trust you" and gee golly gosh willakers, nobody has never told a lie or changed their mind before?  I find it really hard to believe you are that naive and easy to sell to, that would make you a nigerian prince's dream come true. Come on, lets be real here.  Even you know that if they though the GM position was useful, they would hire a GM, correct?  So then why arent they?  They do not want someone else to have power over decisions that are made.  And if you claim that its because they dont want the WRONG person to have power, they like their guys internally, thats fine.  Then why dont they give one of them the power of a GM?

BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT ANYONE TO HAVE THE POWER OF GM.  Come on, Califan, your way better than that.

I don't know why it's important to state that Allen has been running the FO. We know that. He's the one who made the Scot hire which, by all accounts, was a good move when it was made. A move lauded by everyone, not because of who Scot was, but because of the healthy hierarchy it created within the Redskins FO for the first time under Snyder. 

Something recognized even by those who will now likely attempt to downplay the significance of this bull**** they're doing now. 

The question is and always was about whether or not that heirarchy was undermined (we were directly told Scot had final say on personnel), as well as whether or not Allen valued the role itself and the importance of a strong talent evaluator fulfilling it.

Hence, why we were waiting with baited breath as to how they'd address the position. 

Just now, elkabong82 said:

I'd really prefer the team hire a GM because now, no matter how duties are split, fans are just going to carry on and on with the power hungry Allen, we are doomed, woe is us routine and use it to continue to excuse Scot's wrecklessness. 

That's your reason why? That's what bothers you about this? Come on, brother, weren't you posting about the importance of the GM position and that you wanted them to hire one before, or am I mistaken? Now you're going to act like that's the reason why you were? 

Don't lump all fans into the same boat, either. I think some of us have earned a little bit more than that, don't you? 

Scot's supposed "wrecklessness" and the team's consistently unstable FO do not have to be mutually exclusive. 

Explain to me why you believe the role of a GM is unnecessary (contrary to how the vast majority of successful franchises operate), what you think is acceptable "splitting of duties", and how that differs from past Redskin FOs that failed miserably. 

I'd love to be convinced because I must just be this negative nancy now who is all about "woe is us" and "we are doomed" since I'm not buying what the FO is selling. 

Basically we were lied to 2 years ago when they hired Scot and said he would be the GM.  

Interesting fact for today:  There are 5 teams in the NFL without a GM currently.  One is the Patriots, the great aberation in the sky.  Next are the Redskins, the Eagles, the Browns, and the Bengals.

Those 4 teams have won a combined 0 playoff games in the past decade without a GM.  Thats 0 for 30(because the Eagles had a GM once, when they won a playoff game, and the Redskins allegedly had one for the past 2 years).

9 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

That's your reason why? That's what bothers you about this? Come on, brother, weren't you posting about the importance of the GM position and that you wanted them to hire one before, or am I mistaken? Now you're going to act like that's the reason why you were? 

Ughh, no. Settle down. I want a GM for all the important reasons AND I also don't like that people are now going to go nuts on here. Replace "because" in my previous post with "and." That would be dumb to ONLY want a GM just so fans will settle down, lol. 

I'm hopeful that Skins restructure in way that models Patriots and others, where there is a defacto GM and the duties are divded, team approach on some things. To do that they'd have to promote someone to VP and elevate others, bring in some new guys lower down to repalce those moving up.

If they keep all titles the same and just dump responsibilities around, that won't inspire much faith even after a good offseason and draft. They need to elevate/promote to properly reflect the new duties people will be taking on. Otherwise why inform NFL of a restructure? Fingers crossed because keeping things as is and having others shoulder more duties, from a major FO role, without adding new people and relieving some duties from those up top, is a bad idea. That would be overloading and you can't have that and expect success. 

Silver lining for those displeased with Allen. This restructure puts things directly on him which, like with Cerrato, can hasten the firing process if things go south for the team.

40 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Thats just absurd. Are you really going to pretend you do not see the really really obvious writing on the wall?  

So when Scot, currently employed by the team, was asked about the owner he said nice things about the owner?  And Dan Snyder once said "I trust you" and gee golly gosh willakers, nobody has never told a lie or changed their mind before?  I find it really hard to believe you are that naive and easy to sell to, that would make you a nigerian prince's dream come true. Come on, lets be real here.  Even you know that if they though the GM position was useful, they would hire a GM, correct?  So then why arent they?  They do not want someone else to have power over decisions that are made.  And if you claim that its because they dont want the WRONG person to have power, they like their guys internally, thats fine.  Then why dont they give one of them the power of a GM?

BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT ANYONE TO HAVE THE POWER OF GM.  Come on, Califan, your way better than that.

Simple question here: In your mind, did Scot do anything whatsoever to play a role in his termination? Or was it all due to the power-hungry Allen and Snyder?

And this part: "So when Scot, currently employed by the team, was asked about the owner he said nice things about the owner? "

He said that after being fired...his comment about Snyder is what he said to that guy at the gas station a week or so ago.

27 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

I'm hopeful that Skins restructure in way that models Patriots and others, where there is a defacto GM and the duties are divded, team approach on some things. To do that they'd have to promote someone to VP and elevate others, bring in some new guys lower down to repalce those moving up.

If they keep all titles the same and just dump responsibilities around, that won't inspire much faith even after a good offseason and draft. They need to elevate/promote to properly reflect the new duties people will be taking on. Otherwise why inform NFL of a restructure? Fingers crossed because keeping things as is and having others shoulder more duties, from a major FO role, without adding new people and relieving some duties from those up top, is a bad idea. That would be overloading and you can't have that and expect success. 

Silver lining for those displeased with Allen. This restructure puts things directly on him which, like with Cerrato, can hasten the firing process if things go south for the team.

Going off of what you said earlier, it would seem to indicate that someone will be "like" the GM but not "the" GM...possibly a restructuring of the FO to an extent but stopping short of naming someone as GM. I would think this speaks more directly to not bringing someone in from the outside. It would also speak to not promoting Williams to anything resembling a General Manager.

Archived