Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New GM search

RichmondRedskin88

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

The NFL today is a pitch and catch league and we just saw that in the draft. The top guys that were picked were the guys that were either throwing it or catching it and the other top guys were the ones that are trying to pressure or stop the pitch and catch. Pressuring the passer is the name of the game, not taking a guard at 5 and passing on a guy that is paid to pressure the passer. <snip>

I would think as pressuring the passer becomes more significant, protecting the passer subsequently does as well.  The Scherff pick is my favorite of our recent drafts--I think that pick is the one that helped us turn the corner. 

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, its not that I dont believe peoples personal interaction stories but some just seem a wee bit more out there than others from my knowledge of human beings :-).

The reason they hired a "GM" I think is simple and two fold.  1.  They didnt really, Allen always retained more power than normal for any other NFL team.  They hired half of a GM I would say.  2. Because Snyder was embarrassed, desperate, and the fans had turned against him.  He didnt have a choice, and while Snyder may be bad at running a team, hes great at convincing people that things will turn around.  How many times have you seen someone really buckle down with finances, addiction, or what not when things hit rock bottom, and then when things start going better go "You know, maybe I figured it out now, Im doing fine now and can ease back to what I want to do".

About the only reason one can half come up with for not hiring a GM, is that they plan to do a trial run to then see if they want someone to be a GM.  But even then, you predicate that on them eventually having a GM, as though that must be the direction a reasonable team goes.  One high ranking source in the organization is not proof that it had nothing to do with power.  So based on your examples as answer to the question of "If its not about power, why dont they hire a GM?" you said that in essence A. They dont trust giving the power of GM to someone yet and taking it our of their hands(Which is about POWER), and B. Allen wants to find his "comfort zone", the areas he wants to have power over, which again, is about power.  Both possibilities you gave, if true, both agreed with my assertion the reason they dont hire a GM is because of power.

Interestingly enough, Cooley and Sheehan were strangely level-headed about the news that the Skins put in their plan to run the franchise without a GM.

Sheehan said he thought it meant that they were gonna promote someone internally, and that he wouldn't be given the title of GM but would be close to it (yeah, it's what I said, too lol)...he also said it might mean that the Skins don't see anyone available that they'd feel would be a good hire/fit, with Sheehan saying anyone good is staying far away from the Redskins anyway and Cooley saying he highly doubts anyone who wants to be a GM somewhere is saying "No thanks" to the Redskins if they put out feelers on them. Sheehan also said he thought promoting someone internally to the GM position might put them at a disadvantage right off the bat as they may be seen as working behind the scenes to get Scot fired so they could take over (which is happening with Allen, so that thought does have merit)...and also said that he felt it was better for the Skins to not put someone in as GM just to be able to say they have a GM to calm the masses. Cooley said Allen and Snyder don't give a **** about media and fans obsessing over this stuff, that their attitude is probably to let everyone say whatever, we'll just keep doing what needs to be done.

That they started tyring to figure out other possibilities that didn't automatically put Allen and Snyder under the "Ego/Power" spotlight kinda surprised me. Neither of them seem to really care about this...Sheehan said half jokingly "Sign Cousins long term and I don't care who calls themselves GM" lol...

EDIT: about this:

"Allen wants to find his "comfort zone", the areas he wants to have power over, which again, is about power."

That's not what I meant by "comfort zone". What I meant is what type of atmosphere he wants at Redskins Park in terms of front office and head coach, and that's why he dipped from the talent pool of men he was already familiar with. After the nuclear bomb of the last of Shanahan's tenure, I said at the time that I thought Allen was trying to piece together guys who he felt would/could work well together and place a higher value on that over their actual individual abilities. That a coordinator who was a "6" in terms of coaching talent but a "10" in terms of meshing well with the rest of the organization was better than an coordinator who was an "8" in terms of coaching talent but a "5" in terms of meshing well within the organization.

I've heard Sheehan speak about the GM idea many times.  He didn't expect them to hire someone from another organization. But he's gone on the record many times that he's hardcore about wanting a real GM running this team and thought hiring Scot was a major turning point for this organization.  

Sheehan said today get Kirk resigned then he won't care who the GM is.  He said it where he sounded a little tongue and cheek.  It's somewhat how I feel.  Do I think it will stink if they go without a GM and go back to old school Redskins -- heck yeah.  But I am much more antsy about Kirk.  I think we can survive potentially mediocre drafts with Kirk in the fold.  If Kirk's gone, I think we are back to old school Danny loser town.

1 hour ago, elkabong82 said:

But if nobody is promoted, just given extra duties, that will be a mistake.

I've never seen the numbers on this so I am not sure if its true but I've heard multiple times the Redskins spend less in scouting and have smaller scouting staffs than many other teams.  Laconfora touched on this some weeks ago in a radio interview as something that would bug a new entrant to the front office and they'd want to change this as part of the condition of coming on board.

With that in mind, if the upshot is to get rid of Scot and put more on the plate of other people on staff -- I'd figure this staff would potentially be overtaxed.  Chris Russell was talking about last night that part of the attraction of not hiring a GM is you can save a million plus in salary -- and Bruce loves to save money.    

I am in the beggars can't be choosers mind frame.  So at this point, I hope they at least add some to their scouting department or bring a personnel guru type in the the house even if its him taking orders from Bruce.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, TK said:

What I've heard since the Draft is basically that no one outside the organization wants a GM position here & that if Bruce appoints the "title" to anyone inside the Park it's either Eric S or D.Williams though Scott Cambell would be running personnel/scouting. This is because Bruce doesn't want a true GM, which could lend credence to the "ego" story when Scot was dismissed. There were also rumblings of Bruce having "ego" problems back when he was in Oakland but I haven't tracked any of them down 100% yet.

TK, in your opinion, do you think we can win a Super Bowl with the brain trust as currently assembled?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard Sheehan speak about the GM idea many times.  He didn't expect them to hire someone from another organization. But he's gone on the record many times that he's hardcore about wanting a real GM running this team and thought hiring Scot was a major turning point for this organization.  

Sheehan said today get Kirk resigned then he won't care who the GM is.  He said it where he sounded a little tongue and cheek.  It's somewhat how I feel.  Do I think it will stink if they go without a GM and go back to old school Redskins -- heck yeah.  But I am much more antsy about Kirk.  I think we can survive potentially mediocre drafts with Kirk in the fold.  If Kirk's gone, I think we are back to old school Danny loser town.

Spot on.  Basically Allen has taken the roll of Cerrato to some extent, IMO.  Bruce is cheaper than Cerrato was.  Both Bruce and Gruden could be gone in a couple years IF KC is not resigned to a LTD.  Only way they'd survive with KC not being here in DC as our long term QB is if they hit a HR with their 1st round pick next year and their QB was an instant success. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never seen the numbers on this so I am not sure if its true but I've heard multiple times the Redskins spend less in scouting and have smaller scouting staffs than many other teams.  Laconfora touched on this some weeks ago in a radio interview as something that would bug a new entrant to the front office and they'd want to change this as part of the condition of coming on board.

With that in mind, if the upshot is to get rid of Scot and put more on the plate of other people on staff -- I'd figure this staff would potentially be overtaxed.  Chris Russell was talking about last night that part of the attraction of not hiring a GM is you can save a million plus in salary -- and Bruce loves to save money.    

I am in the beggars can't be choosers mind frame.  So at this point, I hope they at least add some to their scouting department or bring a personnel guru type in the the house even if its him taking orders from Bruce.

Here's something to ponder over on that. Remember Shanny was originally rumored to be bringing in some of his scouting guys. I believe Steelz & I even had a list of names we had dropped back then. Yet when the time came. they never showed up here. Remember Scot was also rumored to have brought in his guys. They never showed up either. Instead, in both cases, both guys had to teach/train the existing Department on what they wanted & what they looked for in a player. And all of that was under Bruce's watch. 

2 minutes ago, TK said:

Here's something to ponder over on that. Remember Shanny was originally rumored to be bringing in some of his scouting guys. I believe Steelz & I even had a list of names we had dropped back then. Yet when the time came. they never showed up here. Remember Scot was also rumored to have brought in his guys. They never showed up either. Instead, in both cases, both guys had to teach/train the existing Department on what they wanted & what they looked for in a player. And all of that was under Bruce's watch. 

It's been my thing about Dan.  I always hear he just wants to win.  But if either him or Bruce aren't willing to put in resources into the personnel department like other teams or care much whether they have people who are at the top of their game at making personnel decisions -- then either he really isn't that serious about winning or IMO he's dense about what it takes to building a winning football team. 

If its all Bruce behind it all then all of this is directed at him.   

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

TK, in your opinion, do you think we can win a Super Bowl with the brain trust as currently assembled?

This isn't a serious question because the "brain trust" doesn't actually play the games. Winning falls on players & coaching because they're the ones on the sidelines. Now, had you asked your question using the word "coaches" instead of the words "brain trust" then my answer would be I'd like to think so, but time will tell because McVay raided the coaching staff as best he could when he took the LA gig. Though McVay was extremely pass happy, hopefully this will have Jay find & not abandon the run game, though when McVay got pass happy & Kirk was on, it was a beautiful thing. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's been my thing about Dan.  I always hear he just wants to win.  But if either him or Bruce aren't willing to put in resources into the personnel department like other teams or care much whether they have people who are at the top of their game at making personnel decisions -- then either he really isn't that serious about winning or IMO he's dense about what it takes to building a winning football team. 

If its all Bruce behind it all then all of this is directed at him.   

This is what I'm looking at. Dan will spend, you just have to justify it to him. Go back & look at the Gibbs 2.0 staff. They spent a lot. Though Gibbs relied on Vinny instead of kicking him to the curb. However, he did have Portis helping to run personnel. :D  That was before Bruce. Zorn was right at his own exit & Bruce's entrance. They didn't want to pay Zorn, they were trying to get him to quit so they'd be off the hook. Same with Shanny, though they dug in & played the game better & got paid. I've been around Bruce & I've been around Scot. And as anyone will tell you that's been around Bruce will tell you, he comes off as a politician. Scot on the other hand, never came off to me as a politician but rather just damn good dude that lived, ate, drank, & **** football. i had several conversations with him on the sidelines shooting the ish during games & it was easy to see why players loved that dude. 

This is brought up here and there, the topic of the Skins' scouting department and whether or not they invest appropriately as compared to other teams. Someone here recently said that they remembered a while back that the Redskins had one of the smallest scouting staffs in the NFL...or something like that...

After reading what TK just said above, I thought I'd start actually paying attention to the Redskins' scouting staff lol...I never thought about them beyond Scott Campbell's name and Santos' name. I'm gonna start looking into who we have on staff and their experience, etc, blah blah...see how many we have on staff compared to the rest of the teams, see if we have any scouts from the different scouting services, yadda yadda..at some point I may create a thread detailing all that **** so that if there's anyone else out there like me who really doesn't know much about who we have as scouts (or scouting heads) they can use it as a resource.

I've had one too many beers, also, too...

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm gonna start looking into who we have on staff and their experience, etc, blah blah...see how many we have on staff

1 minute ago, TK said:

This is what I'm looking at. Dan will spend, you just have to justify it to him. Go back & look at the Gibbs 2.0 staff. They spent a lot. Though Gibbs relied on Vinny instead of kicking him to the curb. However, he did have Portis helping to run personnel. :D  That was before Bruce. Zorn was right at his own exit & Bruce's entrance. They didn't want to pay Zorn, they were trying to get him to quit so they'd be off the hook. Same with Shanny, though they dug in & played the game better & got paid. I've been around Bruce & I've been around Scot. And as anyone will tell you that's been around Bruce will tell you, he comes off as a politician. Scot on the other hand, never came off to me as a politician but rather just damn good dude that lived, ate, drank, & **** football. i had several conversations with him on the sidelines shooting the ish during games & it was easy to see why players loved that dude. 

I talked to Scot for about 2 hours.  I talked to Bruce for about 3-4 minutes.  But yeah that was my impression too -- granted small sample with Bruce. 

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

This is brought up here and there, the topic of the Skins' scouting department and whether or not they invest appropriately as compared to other teams. Someone here recently said that they remembered a while back that the Redskins had one of the smallest scouting staffs in the NFL...or something like that...

After reading what TK just said above, I thought I'd start actually paying attention to the Redskins' scouting staff lol...I never thought about them beyond Scott Campbell's name and Santos' name. I'm gonna start looking into who we have on staff and their experience, etc, blah blah...see how many we have on staff compared to the rest of the teams, see if we have any scouts from the different scouting services, yadda yadda..at some point I may create a thread detailing all that **** so that if there's anyone else out there like me who really doesn't know much about who we have as scouts (or scouting heads) they can use it as a resource.

I've had one too many beers, also, too...

Cool. Go at it.  :) Have another beer if it helps.  I know I don't have the energy to do it. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan has softened noticeably...

7 minutes ago, TK said:

That was easy lol...i could have another beer at this rate.

That's a staff of 13...I gotta look up other teams for comparison...unless...lol

Importance of scouting

The NFL teams that are competitive from year to year — the Patriots, the Packers, the Steelers, among them — share one thing in common: a strong emphasis on scouting and personnel.

“The lifeblood of a football organization is going to be evaluation of personnel,” said Andrew Brandt, a former front-office executive in Green Bay who now runs NationalFootballPost.com.

For most teams, the scout’s role is vital.

“The scouts are the most unappreciated guys in professional football. . . . They’re involved in making multimillion dollar decisions,” said the longtime NFC scouting director, “yet they’re making maybe $75,000 a year.”

The 32 teams might organize their scouting and personnel departments 32 different ways. Teams such as Baltimore and New England pay their scouts more. General managers such as Green Bay’s Ted Thompson personally visit college campuses throughout the fall. And one franchise — the Cincinnati Bengals — employs just one full-time scout.

“If I was an owner — any owner — whatever is being spent on scouting, I’d double it,” said Jack Bechta, an NFL agent.

The Redskins’ staffing numbers on the scouting side aren’t completely different from the rest of the league. The Giants, Eagles and Cowboys have a similar number of scouts, but each has more people working in those departments, especially Dallas. They have more support in place and more people who carry titles that don’t exist in Washington: “assistant director of pro scouting,” “scouting coordinator,” “college scouting coordinator,” and “director of football research.”

The Redskins employ two pro scouts and six college scouts. While they haven’t necessarily beefed up their infrastructure since Shanahan arrived, they did begin to subscribe to the BLESTO scouting service. It’s a cooperative undertaking that costs a team about $100,000 a year and gives it a scout who shares much of his information with other BLESTO teams. In turn, the Redskins have access to evaluations from other BLESTO scouts around the league.

“It’s better to have the right people,” said Michael Lombardi, a former team executive who worked with Allen in Oakland and is now an NFL Network analyst. . “. . . More never is better. Right is always better. It’s hard to get the right people making the right decisions.”

A difficult question for each team is how much it is willing to rely on those scouts. It can be a balancing act, but in Washington, Shanahan’s opinion is still the one that matters most.

“Coaches are professional coaches. They’re part-time scouts,” the longtime NFC scouting director said. “And you can’t be a part-time scout. . . . When you’ve got a guy who’s wearing all the hats, there’s just too much work to do to think you can still do everything really well.”

“Coaches have tunnel vision,” he continued. “They want the quick fix. They’re not always looking at what is the best for the franchise in the long haul.”

...“They don’t have the infrastructure in place,” one NFC personnel executive said. “They don’t have a football man in place. . . . They don’t have anyone who has changed the tires.”

Said another longtime NFL executive: “Bruce Allen was hired, and he never restructured the personnel department. You see the results they had? And he comes in there and makes no changes. . . . It made no sense.”

...Allen “has no idea about player personnel. . . . That’s not his expertise,” said a longtime NFL player personnel executive. “He’s an administrator. He was a cap guy. He’s not a scout.”

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool. Go at it.  :) Have another beer if it helps.  I know I don't have the energy to do it. 

14 minutes ago, TK said:

First one's free. You have 31 other teams to do now. :)

I should have never said that out loud lol...

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Redskins employ two pro scouts and six college scouts.

From TK's list, that's gone up...

http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/courses/football-gm-scouting

Football GM and Scouting Course
Learn to Scout Football and Manage a Team

A vast majority of NFL general managers began their careers in the scouting and player personnel department before running an entire team operation. While managing the salary cap, negotiating contracts and hiring staff are essential parts of becoming a general manager, the crux of the job is in identifying the talent that can change your team’s future.

At SMWW, we’ll teach you how to scout AND how to manage a team.

...Ima sign Bruce up for this ****...

29 minutes ago, TK said:

Doug Williams name keeps coming up as #2 behind BA but hopefully it will be Scott Campbell.

1 hour ago, TK said:

This isn't a serious question because the "brain trust" doesn't actually play the games. Winning falls on players & coaching because they're the ones on the sidelines. Now, had you asked your question using the word "coaches" instead of the words "brain trust" then my answer would be I'd like to think so, but time will tell because McVay raided the coaching staff as best he could when he took the LA gig. Though McVay was extremely pass happy, hopefully this will have Jay find & not abandon the run game, though when McVay got pass happy & Kirk was on, it was a beautiful thing. 

Yeah that's what I was getting at. A lot of people are treating this as apocalyptic news but, as disappointed as I was about the way the Scot situation turned out, I was also left wondering just how important the front office structure really is. I like how our roster is evolving and I like the coaching staff. I think both are trending upwards. At the end of the day, if the team can earnestly contend for a championship then I couldn't care less whether we have a "true GM" or a "real personnel guy" with whatever title. But it seems, to many, an absence of that front office figure in of itself disqualifies the Skins from contention. Was wondering where you stood on that.

I feel bad for us, I really do.

The amount of downplaying, minimizing, and complete shifts in the stances we all had when the Scot hire was originally made, to now be forced to have to justify what they are doing saddens me to no end. 

Suddenly all of the talk about having a soundly structured organization, one that resembles the vast majority of successful franchises, with a legit talent-evaluating GM having final say on personnel is all thrown out the window. Now we're looking for ways to understand where they're coming from and why Allen is thinking this or that. 

Allen was praised for making the Scot hire because it was an historic move for a franchise that never had that position in reality. It makes zero sense to not condemn him for taking it away now, unless your only real stance or actual ground that you stand on is basically "whatever the team does I'll justify it". Otherwise, it's a total contradiction. 

I get it, though. I want to believe too. But there's a limit. 

20 hours ago, Califan007 said:

We actually went through all of this back towards the end of the 2014 season when it was a hot topic (arguably turned into one by myself, SIP, and a few others)... 

What we found is that the Skins were "top heavy". They have a lot of execs compared to other organizations but fewer actual scouts on the ground (regional, area, etc...). I don't know if that has changed, though. 

But it makes Scott Campbell's words about Scot allowing him to travel and go see prospects up close extremely significant to me and drives the point home that much more. 

I just keep getting so mad thinking about this. I don't ask for much from the team. I'm not even the type that asks for them to win all the time or hangs on every loss. All I've ever really wanted was a soundly structured organization.

That's it. That's enough for me to know they're at least trying and they're creating an environment for people who they hire to succeed. 

And, no, for those pointing to the way the Pats are run - that's unacceptable to me. They are the exception. The vast majority of successful franchises have a legit talent-evaluating GM running the personnel department. This is a fact, though the Head Coach has various degrees of power there as well, some more than others, but none own final say over their GMs except within the season in few cases.

I will keep saying it until I'm blue in the face. And I'm going to roll my eyes at any and every post that justifies the Redskins' FO doing anything differently. They are not, and have never been, a model organization that everyone around the league recognizes for their professionalism and competence. The Scot hire was actually the only thing that changed that perception. To view what they're doing now, if it's true, with anything other than extreme skepticism is naive at best and blind obedience at worst. 

@thesubmittedone Some fans will just go down swinging.  They drew their lines in the sand a while ago, going to great lengths to combat the evil media.  They aren't about to give up now, no matter what's looking them in the face.

We've all been there before with this franchise.  It wasn't long ago that I used to find ways to convince myself that the Haynesworth signing was what this team needed, the Zorn hiring was exactly what Campbell needed, the media was out to get RG3, and the list goes on.  

Its been a long long road to get here where I can be a fan yet see through the BS, but I'm here now...and it's depressing. 

8 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

But it makes Scott Campbell's words about Scot allowing him to travel and go see prospects up close extremely significant to me and drives the point home that much more. 

This is a good point.   Chris Russell wrote about it in article about Campbell saying more or less that he was unleashed under Scot to do scouting in person on pro days and that helped him a great deal.  

In short, having that extra major hand in house freed up his duties.  Now, it looks like they are likely pilling more on his plate and everyone else for that matter.  Sounds like the old days.  I hope those reports are wrong.  For those here who believe in Campbell in a big way -- if they end up doing what has been suggested and you take Campbell at his word, we aren't getting the best of him because he's unlikely to have the time to scout the way he did under Scot.

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Yeah that's what I was getting at. A lot of people are treating this as apocalyptic news but, as disappointed as I was about the way the Scot situation turned out, I was also left wondering just how important the front office structure really is. I like how our roster is evolving and I like the coaching staff. I think both are trending upwards. At the end of the day, if the team can earnestly contend for a championship then I couldn't care less whether we have a "true GM" or a "real personnel guy" with whatever title. But it seems, to many, an absence of that front office figure in of itself disqualifies the Skins from contention. Was wondering where you stood on that.

For some reason the best analogies I keep coming up with is to food.  It's like we compete (and lose) with other restaurants  who are known for having better food likely because they have better chefs and get more customers accordingly. We finally hire a top chef.   We get the customers too.  We are feeling good.   Then, we dump that chef and explain that it worked best the way it was before -- because heck isn't the restaurant good now? 

Running with this analogy, its nothing to panic about now.  It will take time for the restaurant to slide back.  It doesn't happen immediately.  Now I hope that analogy doesn't come to fruition but its sort of the idea.  

It's not about the title to me.  It's about having a top flight personnel guy making personnel decisions.  That's it.  As Redskins fans, we are kind of used to it not functioning that way.   I'll give that the upshot of this drill hasn't been the Cleveland Browns.    It's been 5-11, 6-10 with an occasional celebration like season where they go 9-7.   For the top teams in this league who do it the right way -- our version of a nirvana season is a down season for them. 

It's about having someone in the room who can match wits with the John Schneiders and the Ted Thompson's of the NFL and other high caliber GM's who can stock the rosters almost every year with top talent and have a long term view of how to build a team.  Bruce isn't a personnel guy.  No one talks about Doug Williams as being much of a personnel guy.  Schaffer is a money guy.  So in terms of drafting its all on Scott Campbell.  And I don't think Scott is bad at what he does.  He's made some smart picks.  But like I mentioned in my prior post, he has a lot on his plate.  And judging by drafts over the years, they have been mostly mediocre.  No awful but so so.  It's hard for me to remove Campbell from that equation since he has been the one common denominator through all of that.

Edit:  Having said that I'd prefer someone with a title just so the buck stops with someone.  But IMO its not the operative point.  Just my 2 cents. :)

Archived