Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, tshile said:

This is bull****. The left has preached amnesty style solutions and ignored the problem at the border.

Go ahead and preach botherism bull**** all you want. Have at it.

Speaking of bull****. LOL Obama couldn't even get $3.7 Billion from the GOP for border control measures to address the 2014 issue. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hersh said:

I can only imagine the outrage if Obama started his first term with immigration reform in the middle of the worst economic disaster in 80 years. Actually, everyone knows exactly how it would have gone. 

Didnt stop him from the Obamacare boondoggle.  But I do agree with you that we know how it would have gone.  It would have passed, and the Dems would have gotten slaughtered at the polls worse than they did over the last decade.  So I totally agree that the Dems decided that the political risk wasnt worth doing anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not just the left. Reagan and Dubya too.

Yup, and securing the border never came.

It's just a bunch of "first steps" over and over and over.

It's time for an actual policy update across the board. It's been time. Those on the left refuse to see it or admit it. They want more first steps.

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

Less than a decade ago.  We didnt have an immigration problem then though.

Over the last 20 years, the Republicans have had the majority control of the Senate 14 years and the House 16. By and large, it's been a Republican Congress the vast majority of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Over the last 20 years, the Republicans have had the majority control of the Senate 14 years and the House 16. By and large, it's been a Republican Congress the vast majority of the time.

Are you trying to say people like them more?

• Haha 2

Yes.  But not all.  

Just now, twa said:

Are you trying to say people like them more?

Sure, like kids like cotton candy over veggies and fruit. Like kids like video games over homework. 

People like a whole lot of thinks that are not only not good for them, but actively hurt them.

Sure, like kids like cotton candy over veggies and fruit. Like kids like video games over homework. 

People like a whole lot of thinks that are not only not good for them, but actively hurt them.

Are we talking about the popular vote winner in the last election now or what?

:)

1 minute ago, twa said:

Are we talking about the popular vote winner in the last election now or what?

:)

I wish we had reason to talk about her. We wouldn't be talking about White Supremacists taking over the White House who cheer "very fine" Nazis, quote and retweet Nazis constantly and then institute Concentration Camps in America.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is bull****. The left has preached amnesty style solutions and ignored the problem at the border.

Go ahead and preach botherism bull**** all you want. Have at it.

Lol you are so full of ****.

The last president to grant amnesty to undocumented migrants in the US was Saint Reagan so there goes that talking point. 

Our hardline stance towards immigration can be directly traced back to Clinton’s 1996 Illegal Immigration Act:

Among other things, it explicitly gave the Attorney General broad authority to construct barriers along the US-Mexico border and authorized the construction of a secondary layer of border fencing to buttress the already completed 14 mile primary fence. 

So there goes another talking point.

The 2007 GWB bill, which was spearheaded by moderate conservatives and liberals had amnesty but also increased border security funding on the table. Obama’s immigration reform was even less lenient in terms of amnesty. 

Sorry, facts aren’t bull**** and I think you should learn more about how both parties have approached immigration over the past few decades.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'd like to pose these ?s again.

What SHOULD we be doing with the 2000 families that crossed the border illegally, whos kids are now detained.

What SHOULD we do with the future illegal immigrant families?

What SHOULD we do with the 10k plus solo children that are coming across?

First of all, again the majority of these people are first-time migrants who are being charged with a misdemeanor prima facie, due to this no tolerance bull****. This is the kind of "illegal" we are talking about.

You have around 2000 families a month, that need to be processed. They can be held in temporary centers that will be upgraded from the "big lots" centers we see like out in Brownsville, Texas via more funding and manpower to HHS. Those who have been processed and verified as a potential asylum seeker can be released on bond to live and work in the US, just like we've been doing. I don't personally have a problem with letting people out on bond for a misdemeanor charge.

We will make every effort to keep families together in accordance with the Safe Families Act. We will make sure DHS has training for trauma recognition and the evaluation of guardian capability for minors, so they can properly identify those children who may be held by traffickers. We will not allow the imprisonment of children as a "deterrence" for immigration.  We will create a comprehensive process for the reunification of separated families, so no child is made an orphan via the deportation of their family members, while not having any means to find or contact the rest of their family.

"Obama tried to create an alternative to “catch and release” with a refu­gee program that granted legal residence to minors who had a parent in the country legally. But Trump canceled that program last year." Maybe we should look into bringing that back? 

For the future, we need to invest and overhaul the immigration courts. They're an express lane travesty of judicial incompetency. Not only do we need more judges, but we need more oversight. Trump's dumbass self put all this money and manpower into expanding ICE, while turning the immigration courts into nothing more than a deportation machine. He's created an even worse overload, not only with his zero tolerance, but the moves he made earlier like prosecuting all cases, not just criminal and national security cases and not allowing judges to close cases that clearly warrant it.

"Simply put, the rapid growth and reach of immigration enforcement has outpaced the finite resources of the court system, and judges are being stripped of independence at the same time that the administration is putting anyone it can get its hands on into deportation proceedings, and government lawyers have been commanded to no longer be merciful in cases that can and should be closed.

The court’s focus must be on each individual’s right to a full and fair hearing. The new quotas will only create more litigation and further pressure beleaguered immigration judges, while completely ignoring the key role that the enforcement arm has in alleviating swollen dockets. EOIR can take steps improving efficiency and guaranteeing due process, such as fast-tracking an electronic filing system, preserving smart docket control practices like administrative closure, and promoting the right to legal representation. Ultimately, these strong-arm tactics used against the immigration courts is a reminder that EOIR is an arm of the Department of Justice rather than part of the judicial branch. Congress must establish an independent immigration court system. We have one for tax law. We have one for bankruptcy. Aren’t the stakes higher here?"

http://fortune.com/2018/04/11/immigration-court-judge-quotas/

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 2

what is the end game with mexico anyways?

Arguing over immigrants solves nothing...its just going to get worse

keep adding judges? build taller/deeper walls? throw open the borders?

Mabye with enough pot legalization, mexico can wrestle power back away from the drug gangs

Edited by Gibbit
  • Like 1

In order to get to a solution, I think first thing that needs to be agreed upon by both sides is exactly how big the immigration "problem" is.  It just sort of feels like one of those issues where it's treated as an explosive issue every so often, and then people go back to forgetting about it until something specific about immigration re-sparks the debate. 

It seems like neither side is interested in being completely honest about it so as a country we get nowhere. 

• Like 3

The solution is for those countries to develop. Otherwise, they will keep coming. If your situation is hopeless, you will take chances.  I mean, seriously, unless you start shooting people, immigration of any kind cannot be stopped.

Illegal immigration rate is back to Obama level. Trump halted it for a year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The solution is for those countries to develop. Otherwise, they will keep coming. If your situation is hopeless, you will take chances.  I mean, seriously, unless you start shooting people, immigration of any kind cannot be stopped.

Illegal immigration rate is back to Obama level. Trump halted it for a year.

yeah, so whats stopping them. I know these guys can build stuff and are hard workers.

Why wont their country get off the ground and prosper

Edited by Gibbit

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Corrupt government is a big part of it.  Sound familiar?

our government is corrupt sure, so is every government....but if every government is corrupt it doesn't explain why mexico fails as a nation

granted I did read some crazy thing about how 20-30 people running for government offices in mexico had been executed this year or something insane like that

Is our end game to send military down there to take out these drug cartels?

Edited by Gibbit

You ever wonder what experiences lead certain people to think ridiculous things are not just possible but are in fact truth? Crisis acting kids because fake crying is the normal reaction of kids separated from their parents? Is she a parent, and we're her kids glad when she left them when they were young? I think if she believes the tripe she spews, it says more about her parenting experiences than anything I could say.

4 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

our government is corrupt sure, so is every government....but if every government is corrupt it doesn't explain why mexico fails as a nation

Corrupt government, drug cartels, poverty, etc.  I read they actually had a high GDP (like 11th in the world - purchasing power parity), even though they are still not a fully developed country yet.  Also I think their previous history with Spain gutting them dry way back in the day set them way back (iirc - I'm no history buff so if I'm wrong, please correct me).

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2