Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

19 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Yes I do.  I think this is yet the latest Trump "Outrage".  That also doesnt mean that we all shouldnt come up with a solution.  But crying now about kids in detention centers is crocodile tears.  I want to find a solution too.  I just dont know what it is.  It shouldnt be splitting up kids and arresting parents.  But if we allow them to stay while being processed, where does that occur?  And if we allow everyone to claim asylum, come in and THEN verify whether the asylum claim is legit, well that's the loop hole everyone will use knowing our system is too overwhelmed to keep track of everyone.

You actually think we are reacting with fake or insincere anger? Maybe you're projecting on that one, but in my house we know too well what their going through and there is nothing fake with what we're feeling and I think many other people on here feel the same. This isn't some tribal ass political game, this is real life for us. We actually care about human decency, as an inherent principle, it is not a talking point or a veiled political strategy.

If your fears over abuse of asylum were warranted we'd be seeing everyone already trying to take advantage of the "loophole". It takes a lot for people pick up and move and go through the ordeal of migrating here. It's not some easy thing to just coast on in. You still would have screening for amnesty eligibility and we could still add more people to the process. It wasn't hard for them to increase the numbers of border patrol agents, how hard will it be to supplement the amnesty process and provide proper care?

Do you honestly think the system would be more overloaded with your amnesty "loophole" than it already is right now with this zero tolerance policy? Choosing the former over the latter, would actually reduce the load, and that's ignoring the inherent flaw in your "loophole" argument in the first place.

• Like 3

As a foster parent who has seen first hand some of the abuse of our foster care system, I can sympathize with those saying, "our ability to deal with the immigrant children is already taxed too far."  Heck, my oldest son was born to two El Salvadorian illegal immigrants.  I have some idea what our state and federal government has spent on his healthcare, foster care, etc. I have long maintained my extreme pride in our culture's willingness to give him the chances he now enjoys. 

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

However, the  pride I feel for how our culture has treated my family (for the most part and in comparison to treatment other cultures would give) cuts both ways.  Truly I am embarrassed for how we are treating immigrants today.  My shame is multiplied many fold for how we treat entire families.  Who could be hurt more than the members of families torn apart...and all to make a political point?  TWA posted a picture that was meant to be a comedy with "Shame.  Shame.  Shame"  I say truly,  I feel his implied point, only without a sense of jest or irony. 

Shame indeed.

Edited by gbear
  • Like 3

Some of the numbers are staggering though about the number of people border patrol and USCIS is having to process.  People are getting court dates years in the future because the backlog is so deep.  I guess that's what Trump was alluding to about people wanting more judges.  

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

You actually think we are reacting with fake or insincere anger? Maybe you're projecting on that one, but in my house we know too well what their going through and there is nothing fake with what we're feeling and I think many other people on here feel the same. This isn't some tribal ass political game, this is real life for us. We actually care about human decency, as an inherent principle, it is not a talking point or a veiled political strategy.

If your fears over abuse of asylum were warranted we'd be seeing everyone already trying to take advantage of the "loophole". It takes a lot for people pick up and move and go through the ordeal of migrating here. It's not some easy thing to just coast on in. You still would have screening for amnesty eligibility and we could still add more people to the process. It wasn't hard for them to increase the numbers of border patrol agents, how hard will it be to supplement the amnesty process and provide proper care?

Do you honestly think the system would be more overloaded with your amnesty "loophole" than it already is right now with this zero tolerance policy? Choosing the former over the latter, would actually reduce the load, and that's ignoring the inherent flaw in your "loophole" argument in the first place.

I think it's chosen anger because Trump is in the WH.

There is nothing more full of **** than a republican. There isn’t a single congressional republican with any strength of character at all, not one who cares more about the country than they do trump. Trump is the most vile, repugnant poltroon on the planet.

No offense.

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Sounds like benghazi/emails. That’s fake outrage. 

Edited by volsmet
  • Haha 1

You know, I've always admired John Brown. Though he, ultimately, wasn't successful in his Harper's Ferry raid, I admired him for being so moved to action that he was willing to die for it and for a righteous cause. 

But it wasn't until recently that I started to understand his rage - the kind of rage you feel for other people's struggles. Sympathetic, of course but this rage just keeps building. 

For the record - especially for whatever CIA snitch is monitoring me this week - I am not planning a John Brown-esque raid to free these children and reunite them with their parents but my God I've never wanted to do something more. 

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You are wrong in this case. 

I'm sure people can point back to their outrage over the past decade when kids were detained like this right?

The difference is that Trump is now arresting parents.  That's a big issue and one we should be debating.  Instead were 24/7 wailing about how kids are in cages and other nonsense.  Why?  Because it plays better in the TDS echo chamber.

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It makes me sad that you're that cynical.

I just came back from lunch with my wife and she broke down crying over a segment on these children. I have to mute the TV when they play recordings of the children because it hurts her too much. She's a counselor, an ordained minister, and a child abuse survivor herself.

This **** hurts her soul. It hurts my soul.

Again, this is not tribal or political for many people. I hope you can take the time to seriously consider what I'm saying and accept that it holds true for many people across the country.

We're angry and hurt by this. And personally, I'm so ****ing scared over the fact that we have heard nothing about the girls and toddlers. Where are they? Why haven't we seen or heard anything about their conditions? I pray to God that none of these dirty mother****ers have abused or sexually assaulted them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Ask trump.

Several avenues to get into this country legally. 

Trump is not stopping that. 

I have no understanding of why a responsible family would illegally try to enter the country, then there is outrage from many others. 

Trump is an idiot however, we agree there.  I can't believe we are dealing with this fool for another 2 years. 

4 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'm sure people can point back to their outrage over the past decade when kids were detained like this right?

The difference is that Trump is now arresting parents.  That's a big issue and one we should be debating.  Instead were 24/7 wailing about how kids are in cages and other nonsense.  Why?  Because it plays better in the TDS echo chamber.

You see yourself as a voice of reason? Trump set this in motion intentionally & you blame those reacting as he knew they would? That’s absurd. He changed something, what’s to debate? He wasn’t prepared to take care of these kids, he’s not prepared for anything he does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

I have no understanding of why a responsible family would illegally try to enter the country, then there is outrage from many others. 

Trump is an idiot however, we agree there.  I can't believe we are dealing with this fool for another 2 years. 

Maybe you missed it...but asylum seekers have been much been told to **** off when going to the legal ports of entry. Not to mention that quotas are in place that severely limits immigration from certain nearby countries. It's not like it's an easy or cheap process either. But hey, let's pretend that these people are vermin, if it allows some of you to sleep better at night.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Unless you take into consideration the limiting of resources for getting in legally, which is, “trump stopping that.”

You can imagine why people are trying to enter illegally, they are terrified & corporations reward it. We don’t punish them, wrong pigmentation, wrong numbers in the bank.

Even Franklin Graham, who is (sadly because I love Samaritan's Purse) one of Trump's big supporters is against this.

The FAQs: What You Should Know About Family Separation at the Border

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/the-faqs-what-you-should-know-about-family-separation-at-the-border/

What just happened?

Over the past six weeks, immigration officials have separated hundreds of migrant families who have either crossed into the United States illegally or have sought political asylum.

A change in immigration policy by the Trump administration is resulting in thousands of children being housed separately from their parents as they await adjudication. The children are being kept in separate facilities and are unable to see their parents for an indefinite period of time.

What is the policy causing the separation?

Until recently, families apprehended at the border were released together and sent back to their home country. Families were typically only separated if the parents were charged with a crime. In April, though, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced, “I have ordered each United States attorney’s office along the southwest border to have a zero-tolerance policy toward illegal entry. Our goal is to prosecute every case that is brought to us. There must be consequences for illegal actions.”

Illegal entry into the United States is a misdemeanor, while illegal re-entry is a felony. By being charged with the crime of illegal entry, the policy forces the children to be separated from the families while the adults await trial.

Rest at link

• Like 1

We are not the gate keeper. We cant feed our own and could, just won't .... so we are certainly not capable of dealing with other folks situations. 

If we were there would be World peace. 

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Maybe you missed it...but asylum seekers have been much been told to **** off when going to the legal ports of entry. Not to mention that quotas are in place that severely limits immigration from certain nearby countries. It's not like it's an easy or cheap process either. But hey, let's pretend that these people are vermin, if it allows some of you to sleep better at night.

10 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Less and less these days and less to come if the admin gets it’s way.  Pouncing at the slightest sign of weakness on people contributing to our country while working hard every day to support their family, stripping protections one after another from groups long feeling safe here, punishing people who’ve never known another country and trying to force them to live elsewhere, constant discussions about scrapping visas that help enrich our society. Arresting people who come here to seak asylum, lumping in those fleeing for their lives and those of their families with the ones they are fleeing from and treating them like insects  or a disease to be cleansed from our country.  Odd how some might feel like they have to hide or lie or are afraid to get their status updated.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

Trump has outright rejected hiring more immigration judges. 

This is all a play to get the dumb ****ing border wall and essentially a freeze on legal immigration.

They are banking on getting support for their god awful immigration policy by holding families hostage. I hope no one caves to these child abusers. It would set a terrible precedent.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Unless you take into consideration the limiting of resources for getting in legally, which is, “trump stopping that.”

You can imagine why people are trying to enter illegally, they are terrified & corporations reward it. We don’t punish them, wrong pigmentation, wrong numbers in the bank.

We are not responsible for the rest of the world. 

Period. 

A bankrupt country trying to tell others what to do ? 

a crackhead taking in a child ? 

Come on man. 

Fix this United States first, then we can get to other stuff, like being Superman. 

• Like 1