Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

32 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Trump doesn't want to undo his policy. Call me when she's backing legislation that does this.

This and even what Cruz is doing now simply is reaction to their internal polling. Now they are scared to react and terrified to no react. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This and even what Cruz is doing now simply is reaction to their internal polling. Now they are scared to react and terrified to no react. 

Pretty much. After Manchin came out in support of the fix, the writing was on the wall that this is a political loser. I saw the Cruz news. Just not buying it till there's actual text. Probably put a poison pill in the bill and blame the Democrats when it goes nowhere.

13 minutes ago, twa said:

The latter is in a bill Cruz is proposing

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/392892-cruz-announces-bill-to-end-separation-of-immigrant-families

Rubio also has proposed one

Asylum can be applied for at any embassy as far as I know, I would not favor excluding those caught illegally crossing from applying(there are complications added to those breaking the law though)

But you would agree that Cruz or Rubio's proposed solutions are vastly superior to Trump's "negotiating tactic" right?

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Pretty much. After Manchin came out in support of the fix, the writing was on the wall that this is a political loser. I saw the Cruz news. Just not buying it till there's actual text. Probably put a poison pill in the bill and blame the Democrats when it goes nowhere.

If Cruz wanted to sign what the Dems did, he could. But that isn't acceptable to him. He has to present his own option that will never happen because it's his way of pretending to want a solution. 

1 hour ago, twa said:

how would I be defeated?

By not answering the basic questions:

4 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Nah nah nah nah nah.

You're not getting away that easily.

Be specific.  What was the previous policy specifically?  Why did it not follow the law?  Why is this solution the best answer?

How do we reconcile what you're saying with what Ben Sasse is saying?

33 minutes ago, bearrock said:

But you would agree that Cruz or Rubio's proposed solutions are vastly superior to Trump's "negotiating tactic" right?

Would there be a solution w/o Trumps actions?

Kinda like the MeToo stuff, folk like to let things ride till it gets bumpy.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Would there be a solution w/o Trumps actions?

Kinda like the MeToo stuff, folk like to let things ride till it gets bumpy.

I suppose you and I could guess at it, but that's all that would be just guesses.  

The MeToo comparison seems off to me.  It's not like people wanting to stop sexual assault went out and committed more sexual assault to get people to address it.  As POTUS, one would imagine that he has more options than make the problem so bad that Congress has to address it.  

In any event, the plethora of legislative proposals seem to clearly establish that there are much better ways to address abuse of the asylum process than what Trump is doing.  There are plenty of executive solutions too.

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

I suppose you and I could guess at it, but that's all that would be just guesses.  

The MeToo comparison seems off to me.  It's not like people wanting to stop sexual assault went out and committed more sexual assault to get people to address it.  As POTUS, one would imagine that he has more options than make the problem so bad that Congress has to address it.  

In any event, the plethora of legislative proposals seem to clearly establish that there are much better ways to address abuse of the asylum process than what Trump is doing.  There are plenty of executive solutions too.

The MeToo movement took off imo because of the opposition to Trump.

Or maybe folk finally grew a spine,but I think the former.

There are always better ways imo.....yet here we are.

what executive solutions do you see that do not ignore/excuse illegal border crossing?

10 minutes ago, twa said:

what executive solutions do you see that do not ignore/excuse illegal border crossing?

Increasing the number of immigration judges and dedicating a portion to expedited asylum application hearing would be within the DOJ's purview as immigration judges are really career attorneys and immigration courts operate under the authority of the Attorney General.  

Admin could also fast track illegal crossing misdemeanors and keep families together and deport them together.

And there are no protocols in place or under consideration to reunite the children with their parents.

So what's your end game Repubs? Just keep them in captivity indefinitely? Won't be long before the wails about the costs rise, so we'll have to put 'em to work to earn their keep. Gonna just have them slaving in mines like an Indiana Jones flick? Or just have 'em be forced labor, pickin' avocados instead of cotton, you know, like the good old days y'all long for?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Increasing the number of immigration judges and dedicating a portion to expedited asylum application hearing would be within the DOJ's purview as immigration judges are really career attorneys and immigration courts operate under the authority of the Attorney General.  

Admin could also fast track illegal crossing misdemeanors and keep families together and deport them together.

they have increased the immigration judges at the mexican border

they also have speeded up hearings for illegal crossings

4 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

And there are no protocols in place or under consideration to reunite the children with their parents.

Link?

What’s happening to families at the border right now is a humanitarian crisis. Every parent who has ever held a child in their arms, every human being with a sense of compassion and decency, should be outraged.

Families at the border or families that illegally enter?

28 minutes ago, twa said:

answer the questions I asked and I will ....or we can continue talking past each other

You're dodging.

Here's your initial question.

8 hours ago, twa said:

So you believe we should just let anyone in and not detain them totally ignoring immigration law and limits?

It's a bad question to pose because it's the "either/or" fallacy.

But so you'll have no excuses, to answer it, no, we should just "let anyone in and not detain them totally ignoring immigration law and limits."

But we also do not need to engage in the current discretionary policy, which, mind you, didn't start until well into the Trump administration.

So now that I've answered, once more:

5 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

What was the previous policy specifically?  Why did it not follow the law?  Why is this solution the best answer?

How do we reconcile what you're saying with what Ben Sasse is saying?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, twa said:

Families at the border or families that illegally enter?

I saw a tweet this morning which I wish I could find that basically said "It's amazing the pain people will allow others to be put through if only you can convince them that these others broke some rules."

I truly and sincerely hope that the next time you break a statute, no matter how minor, stupid, outdated, or ridiculous that statute may be, that you are dealt with by the same standards you defend today.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, twa said:

they have increased the immigration judges at the mexican border

they also have speeded up hearings for illegal crossings

So do more of that to stop catch and release instead of holding kids hostage.  Also, demanding reform to asylum process would make a lot more sense than demanding the wall as his hill to die on during negotiation with Congress.  Oh.... The beautiful wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for....  Oops.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DogofWar1 said:

You're dodging.

Here's your initial question.

It's a bad question to pose because it's the "either/or" fallacy.

But so you'll have no excuses, to answer it, no, we should just "let anyone in and not detain them totally ignoring immigration law and limits."

But we also do not need to engage in the current discretionary policy, which, mind you, didn't start until well into the Trump administration.

So now that I've answered, once more:

If you detain them over 20 days the kids cannot be with them  by court order, leaving you to ether remove the kids from parents or release them w/o consequence for illegall entry.....which was the FORMER policy to answer your first question.

Releasing them neuters the rule of law in regards to illegally crossing.....which obviously doesn't bother many of you....but it does me.

I don't think Trump's policy is the best solution, nor have I claimed so.

I could care less what Sasse is saying, but if you will narrow it down I will address it.

see how easy it is if you play by the rules?

35 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

So what's your end game Repubs? Just keep them in captivity indefinitely? Won't be long before the wails about the costs rise, so we'll have to put 'em to work to earn their keep. Gonna just have them slaving in mines like an Indiana Jones flick? Or just have 'em be forced labor, pickin' avocados instead of cotton, you know, like the good old days y'all long for?

Well considering how we are working our way toward Nazi-ism, I imagine a shower will be in their future.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I saw a tweet this morning which I wish I could find that basically said "It's amazing the pain people will allow others to be put through if only you can convince them that these others broke some rules."

I truly and sincerely hope that the next time you break a statute, no matter how minor, stupid, outdated, or ridiculous that statute may be, that you are dealt with by the same standards you defend today.

so illegal entry is  "minor, stupid, outdated, or ridiculous"

in the spirit of your reply...I hope a home intruder is welcome in your house .

where do you live?....I'll send a few needy folk in