Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

We don't need to lock children up in cages like animals.

They are not for long, nor are they treated like animals.

A fence protects as well as constrains.

What exactly do you suggest we do with them and their parents?

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Pretty much. We knew racism and cruelty like this was coming if Trump was elected. If you didn't vote for the only option that could have beat him, you're complicit in this whether you like it or not.

Not trying to actively turn this into that, but, I've largely stayed away from this, because I just can't do anything but wear the anger/frustration. "What are you doing about it" just on the surface, is the wrong card to pull, and if there's some He'll no, or whatabout-ism attached to that, then that is just too much high altitude horseplay than im willing to accept.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Who did you vote for?

For Prez? Evan McMullin. I couldn't vote for either. I'm ashamed that it came to it. My point was that a lot of people gripe on the internet, but don't do anything in real life about it. I'm against this practice. Have been from the beginning. If I could've signed my name to this letter I would've.

http://evangelicalimmigrationtable.com/cms/assets/uploads/2018/06/EIT-Family-Separation-Letter-6.1.2018.pdf

Just now, Zguy28 said:

For Prez? Evan McMullin. I couldn't vote for either. I'm ashamed that it came to it. My point was that a lot of people gripe on the internet, but don't do anything in real life about it. I'm against this practice. Have been from the beginning. If I could've signed my name to this letter I would've.

http://evangelicalimmigrationtable.com/cms/assets/uploads/2018/06/EIT-Family-Separation-Letter-6.1.2018.pdf

I knew it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

There's nothing to answer. It's an idiotic question that pretends that we live in a binary world. It is subterfuge and cover for Nazism.

Yet it must be answered

3 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

My point was that a lot of people gripe on the internet, but don't do anything in real life about it.

And you know this how? Democratic activists in my local circles are beating down the phone lines of every legislator, particularly Republicans, who can sign onto Senator Feinstein's bill.

Most importantly, they vote for people who aren't complicit in these acts of cruelty and would put an end to them.

That is more than anything you will do in real life because through your most powerful choice, you failed to vote for the people who could have stopped this.

Edited by No Excuses

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not trying to actively turn this into that, but, I've largely stayed away from this, because I just can't do anything but wear the anger/frustration. "What are you doing about it" just on the surface, is the wrong card to pull, and if there's some He'll no, or whatabout-ism attached to that, then that is just too much high altitude horseplay than im willing to accept.

You're right, it is the wrong card to pull. My humblest apologies.

I would like to add that if you truly believe that complaining on the internet *doesn't do anything* and you decided not to vote for Hilldog based at least in part off of information that you got off of the internet then you are the worst kind of hypocrite. 

And dont tell me none of your information was obtained off of the internet. Thats just not how the word works. As evidenced by the current president hiring whoever he ****ing could to clutter your internet feeds with fake news made to.....discourage you from voting for Hilldog. I mean come on people. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I eagerly await the day when Trump and others in this administration are housed alongside Paul Manafort and can tell us first-hand whether they themselves are surrounded by cages or "walls built out of chain link fences." Not that I'll care really, because... out of sight, out of mind.

Edited by Dan T.

Ok, I know I should probably not even comment, but..............

It is to laugh, my ****ty cynical black lil heart laughs at this, not at the kids,not at their parents but at the utterly morally vacuous Rs that don't really have a problem with kidnapping children and holding them hostage to git ther wall, but do break out in crocodile tears and pearl clutching when it gets hung around their necks. They LIKE the policy, they don't have one genuine shred of sympathy or compassion for any of "those" people, but they sure as hell are squirming to see it on the tube. **** them, each and every one owns this.

On a related note (historically), spring of '45, the Western allies have breached the Siegfried Line and are driving into the Ruhr, the Red Army is steamrolling its way towards Berlin, the rubble of German cities is being chewed into dust by airstrikes and yet, the Rechtgläubiger, the "true believers" were still ardently on board, Meine Ehre heißt Treue ! They were never swayed, never convinced, never dissuaded, they had to be exterminated. We have the same kind of pathological political psychosis at play today. We all crossed the Rubicon months ago, there's no turning back, there's no "get out the vote!" kinda nambypamby bull**** that is going to undo this. We will wade in blood before this is over.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, twa said:

What exactly do you suggest we do with them and their parents?

Separating them from their kids is wrong.

Moving the kids to jail with the parents seems harsh.

Moving the parents to where the kids are kept could be possible, but that might require more facilities to keep more ppl there. Especially once it's clear you go to a different, likely much safer facility than jail.

They could be immediately deported, so that they aren't being detained.

47 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

What was the previous policy?

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/14_1120_memo_prosecutorial_discretion.pdf

In late 2014 DHS issued new guidelines emphasizing using additional discretion around focusing on terrorists and criminals, going away from a broader more aggressive approach. This is why the deportation numbers went down near the end of O's presidency.

In terms of the 'jailing children' policy, that is old and we have evidence of it happening as far back as 2014.

NYT's Editors clarification to a deleted tweet where he shared a photo of kids from 2014 and tried to blame on Trump.

https://twitter.com/jakesilverstein/status/1000837340187774976 

8 minutes ago, Weganator said:

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/14_1120_memo_prosecutorial_discretion.pdf

In late 2014 DHS issued new guidelines emphasizing using additional discretion around focusing on terrorists and criminals, going away from a broader more aggressive approach. This is why the deportation numbers went down near the end of O's presidency.

In terms of the 'jailing children' policy, that is old and we have evidence of it happening as far back as 2014.

NYT's Editors clarification to a deleted tweet where he shared a photo of kids from 2014 and tried to blame on Trump.

https://twitter.com/jakesilverstein/status/1000837340187774976 

That Jon Favreau tweet with the pic of kids in a cage in 2014 is in this thread in the last couple pages.

3 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

That Jon Favreau tweet with the pic of kids in a cage in 2014 is in this thread in the last couple pages.

Good stuff. I avoid this sub like the plague, so I likely missed it. Just have a boring day today and wasn't sure if people were unaware of it since they talk as if it started Jan 20, 2017.

Edited by Weganator

6 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

It isn't though. I believe you're talking about this

16 minutes ago, Weganator said:

You're thinking unaccompanied minors. These minors now aren't unaccompanied.

Edited by Cooked Crack