Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

Well, since you're a Republican, you can create a phony charity...say, the TWAmp Foundation, and use it as a slush fund to pay membership fees, buy bad portraits of yourself, bribe...er... I mean make illegal campaign contributions to anyone with a legal case pending against you.

Nah, you can only do that if you are not elected a Republican, it was ok before then.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

Nah, you can only do that if you are not elected a Republican, it was ok before then.

However you think you are coming across in this thread, rest assured, it's 100 times worse. It's one of the more pathetic displays in the Tailgate that I've seen. 

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Only if they're playing games. Republicans should be outraged and appalled for the kids. They should find this unacceptable. Period. They should stand up against wrongs. Periods.

When there are real wrongs being done they should not play games and hunt for excuses. They should stand up. The sportsification of this country sucks. Not everything is Dems vs. Republicans. Some of it is right versus wrong and good versus evil.

Somebody needs to hack Fox News and display real images of these camps so Trump can see them instead of photos of smiling kids playing video games which is what his staff shows him.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

However you think you are coming across in this thread, rest assured, it's 100 times worse. It's one of the more pathetic displays in the Tailgate that I've seen. 

He's right. Trump is being persecuted cause he's a Republican! His phony university lawsuit brought by state AGs? They knew he was going to be an elected Republican apparently.

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

image.jpeg.7f8118dd0974cfe6a202cfe9cb21918a.jpeg

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

People should be outraged that Trump has manipulated the laws to create this outrage.  

But I see a lot of people claiming to be outraged about kids being detained.  Which in turn allows Trumpsters to claim that Dems did it too (which did happen) and there weren’t cries of protest about it. 

It plays right into his hands

No it doesn't.  

Children are being kept in cages on concrete floors, because Donald Trump ordered it to happen, to punish them and their types.  

And you're in here trying to claim that the problem is that the people objecting to it aren't phrasing things the way that Trump defenders want the debate to be phrased.  

Who's playing right into Trump's hands?  

• Like 1

This article lays it out pretty well, going era by era and what was happening.

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/blog/what-you-need-to-know-immigrant-family-detention/

It appears as though "family" detentions rose under Obama as policy, then were curbed after a federal court ruled their use as a deterrent was disallowed.

Child detentions existed but seemingly in response to a need due to a rise in unaccompanied minors.  Familial separation does not appear to have been a policy at any point.

Primarily, aside from familial detention, the primary tool utilized by Obama's administration (and administrations past) was to issue a summons and allow release in some fashion (supervised, on bond, etc.).  Absconding rates fell from around 11% in 2010 to 5% in 2015, the time the article was written.

That suggests the new policies are, well, new, on several fronts:

- asylum changes, specifically as to gang violence and domestic abuse, are definitely new

- detention as a major policy being on the rise again is somewhat new

- familial separation of accompanied minors as a widespread policy is definitely new

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, twa said:

Are you cool with the fact they would be kept in 'cages' even if they arrived w/o parents?

Of course not and they wouldn't be. These "camps" are occurring purely because this bull-**** no tolerance policy is overloading the system with way more kids than HHS was prepared to handle.

I still have problems with the whole vacant "big lots" setup, because they are still treated like they're incarcerated and we can just straight up do better for these kids. But, damn at least they had their own beds, a/c, licensed medical professionals on staff, and recreation opportunities.

They went from that weak ass ****, to cages in 100 degree south Texas heat. There will be kids who die from that exposure. Grown men would die in prison from similar during the summer when I was a federal resident.

Question: Who is paying for these detention centers and/or tent cities.  Who owns them? Are they privately owned?  Is there a profit margin/incentive to keep these places full and the conditions poor?   I might be jumping to conclusions but it just seems like whenever a situation arises, there is someone behind the scenes making a lot of money from it.

Also, "family detention centers" sound a lot different than ripping children away from parents and separating them.  I keep hearing more right wing news outlets trying to roll out the "whataboutism" when it comes to this issue, but from everything i have read, there is nothing like what is specifically happening now, taking place under Obama.  Doesn't mean a family never was separated before Trump, but there is a huge difference between isolated incidents and doing something as policy.

• Like 2

When arguing with twa, always remember the bull**** asymmetry principle:

The amount of energy needed to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.

That’s why there have to be 10 of you versus him alone to tackle the mountain of BS he builds in record time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

When arguing with twa, always remember the bull**** asymmetry principle:

That’s why there have to be 10 of you versus him alone to tackle the mountain of BS he builds in record time.

don't forget the 15 others whining.:)

As told to Texas Monthly by the director of immigration nonprofit:

In other cases, we see no communication that the parent knows that their child is to be taken away. Instead, the officers say, “I’m going to take your child to get bathed.” That’s one we see again and again. “Your child needs to come with me for a bath.” The child goes off, and in a half an hour, twenty minutes, the parent inquires, “Where is my five-year-old?” “Where’s my seven-year-old?” “This is a long bath.” And they say, “You won’t be seeing your child again.”

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/whats-really-happening-asylum-seeking-families-separated/

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

It only plays into his hands if a person does not have the will or mental faculty to see the distinct differences between the two situations. It’s not hard to kick away bull**** whataboutisms or false equivalency. 

And what the hell do you mean by claim? I’m ****ing furious about this ****. Do you actually believe we’re playing games with our anger about this? 

And how does our anger “in turn” allow trump to blame the dems? He’s doing that all by himself. The only thing that allows him to make that claim is the passivity of people who don’t challenge it for the lie it is. 

Trump’s hands are too small to hold this. This is going to backfire on him, especially when it comes to suburban women and the midterms. 

Yes I do.  I think this is yet the latest Trump "Outrage".  That also doesnt mean that we all shouldnt come up with a solution.  But crying now about kids in detention centers is crocodile tears.  I want to find a solution too.  I just dont know what it is.  It shouldnt be splitting up kids and arresting parents.  But if we allow them to stay while being processed, where does that occur?  And if we allow everyone to claim asylum, come in and THEN verify whether the asylum claim is legit, well that's the loop hole everyone will use knowing our system is too overwhelmed to keep track of everyone.

And from the New York Times, we learn that White House advisor Steven Miller is essentially the architect of the Administration's  policy of separating children from their parents.  That's right, Steven Miller, the white nationalist who, in his younger days, once he was "enlightened" to the ultra right wing view, told a long-time friend he could no longer associate with him because he was Hispanic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/16/us/politics/family-separation-trump.html?rref=collection%2Fbyline%2Fjulie-hirschfeld-davis

Now you can be sure he is gleefully pleasuring himself in his darkened apartment as he listens to audiotape of children in an undisclosed detention facility crying out for their parents.

Edited by Dan T.