Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We are the Evil Empire: TNG.

We are a pariah nation now.

If we wanted, this could stop immediately but sadly half the country has no problem with it. What's worse that half has the power right now.

I think it's a third. A third of the United States is pro-Nazi. And you're right, that third is in power.

I remember Republicans saying it wasn't on them that Trump won the primaries. I remember Republicans saying it wasn't their fault that they voted for Trump in the general. I remember Republicans doing nothing as Trump lauded murdering Nazis as fine people in Charlottesville, who did nothing when evidence of collusion appeared in the form of Trump's sons emails and a thousand other ways proved Trump has commited treason against this country with Russia. I remember Republicans not attaching their names to bills and doing nothing when Republicans established Internment camps in the United States that separated babies from their parents, that separated children with disabilities with their parents, and refused cameras in so no one could witness what conditions said children are even being kept in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, visionary said:

Yeah, so not only are these new Trump policies totally inhumane, they are also stupidly expensive?

The cost of holding migrant children who have been separated from their parents in newly created "tent cities" is $775 per person per night

It costs $256 per person per night to hold children in permanent HHS facilities like Casa Padre in Brownsville, Texas. And keeping children with their parents in detention centers like the one run by U.S. Customs and Immigration Enforcement in Dilley, Texas cost $298 per resident per night, according to an agency estimate when it awarded the contract for the facility in 2014.

At those prices, the additional cost to operate a 400-bed temporary structure for one month at capacity would be more than $5 million. The average stay for separated kids is nearly two months.

So about $500 more per night per kid, average stay of about 2 months, so we're talking about $30,000 more per kid to house in this fashion than in other facilities.  According to the article more than 3,000 kids have been separated from parents since the implementation of the policy.  That's $90,000,000 per year more if all children are housed that way, and that number is only increasing.

What even is left to be said at this point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

So about $500 more per night per kid, average stay of about 2 months, so we're talking about $30,000 more per kid to house in this fashion than in other facilities.  According to the article more than 3,000 kids have been separated from parents since the implementation of the policy.  That's $90,000,000 per year more if all children are housed that way, and that number is only increasing.

What even is left to be said at this point.

This happened in Germany to. At one point, the Germans decided that it was too damn expensive to keep their unwanted people in their labor camps. We know what they did next.

I can't imagine that we'd follow the same progression, but then again, I don't know that I could imagine us doing this. In fact, I remember once when I ran a newsroom, I was pitched an Alex Jones story about concentration camps in Florida. I said we would never cover this story. My boss' wanted me to at least talk to the people reporting it. I said they could have my resignation first. The only way we would ever cover this story is if we sent reporters to this site and confirmed its reality.

Now, this story is happening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Concentration Camps and Internment Camps in America is a pretty damn new thing

I was going to point out the japanese stuff in WW2, but someone else already did, and I also realized that the only thing that's changed recently is that we're separating the children.

we were putting these people in these camps before and holding them there. it's not really a new thing.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I was going to point out the japanese stuff in WW2, but someone else already did, and I also realized that the only thing that's changed recently is that we're separating the children.

we were putting these people in these camps before and holding them there. it's not really a new thing.

Hooray for you. I guess it's all good then. We're just repeating the most shameful event in modern American history, but one-upping it and doing it in an even more grotesque way.

Edited by Burgold

Just now, Burgold said:

Hooray for you. I guess it's all good then.

:ols:

No. it's not good. It's not been good.

It's a damn shame it took it getting this far for you to figure it out though.

45 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

That's $90,000,000 per year more if all children are housed that way, and that number is only increasing.

We should have just given him 90 mil/year for his wall and been done with it :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

You do know that once he see's that this bull**** is a viable strategy to both drum up his base and get what he wants, that he will continue to use it over and over again right?

This is only their most recent escalation, they have plenty more up their sleeve.

That's how abusive people operate.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

You do know that once he see's that this bull**** is a viable strategy to both drum up his base and get what he wants, that he will continue to use it over and over again right?

This is only their most recent escalation, they have plenty more up their sleeve.

That's how abusive people operate.

You're probably right.

12 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

How’s everything this morning in the Home of the Brave?

Still a shining beacon?

Obviously so, we are now the world leader in asylum requests.

Odd they would flock to the new Nazi's embrace isn't it? :bunny:

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

This happened in Germany to. At one point, the Germans decided that it was too damn expensive to keep their unwanted people in their labor camps. We know what they did next.

Wait , we are putting them in labor camps?

1 minute ago, twa said:

Obviously so, we are now the world leader in asylum requests.

Odd they would flock to the new Nazi's embrace isn't it? :bunny:

Low unemployment compared to rest of hemisphere and lower prevalence of violent drug cartels might be worth it.  Seriously, some of ya'll talking mad **** would do the same damn thing if you were in their shoes and you know it.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

We are now? Don't you mean we continue to be (for a little while longer)?

Well we lost the title under Obama.....musta been the cages he used.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

My understanding is that Congress' hands are tied.  It's been a long-standing U.S. policy NOT to negotiate with hostage takers. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Fine.  He can have 90 million per year for his wall if he'll stay out of whatever compromise Congress passes and just sign it.  He'll have that big beautiful wall in 277 years.  

• Haha 1