Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

I'll put this here, too:

USA Today Sports:

The winner of the Outland Trophy as college football's top interior lineman last season shouldn't have to wait long to hear his name called.

The 6-5, 319-pound player could become Iowa's first top-10 pick since another Outland Trophy winner, offensive tackle Robert Gallery, was selected No. 2 overall by the Oakland Raiders in 2004.

The only questions about Scherff are who will take him (the New York Giants picking No. 9 and the St. Louis Rams at No. 10 are possibilities) and whether he will be play tackle in the NFL or be moved inside to guard..

At Iowa's pro day last month, NFL teams spoke with Scherff about his possible position. He was a left tackle at Iowa. "They asked me which one I preferred, and I said, 'Wherever you play me, I'll play,' " Scherff said. "So that's how you answer that."

[...]

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock likens Scherff to Zack Martin, a first-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys last season. Martin was a left tackle at Notre Dame. The Cowboys moved him to right guard, and he made the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

Mayock said Scherff's biggest upside could be at guard.

"I think it's a question of a very similar conversation we had with Zack Martin last year," Mayock said. "You could start at left tackle, probably be a good left tackle. You could start at right tackle, be a very good right tackle.

"However, I think his best position, because of his power, his toughness, his football sense, is inside. I think he's an all-pro guard."

PROS

Punishing run blocker who generates tremendous, dominating power on the move. Tenacious and consistently aggressive. Stays upright with good knee bend as he shuffles to the edge in pass protection. Has the athleticism to mirror the pass rusher and keep himself squared up. Athletic, with quick feet. Comfortable in space and it doesn't take much for him to completely blow a linebacker up and push him out of the play.

CONS

Might not have the ideal frame or length for the tackle position. Too often his man will make tackles or an assist. Needs to do a better job of locking on and finishing blocks. Will lose his sense of strength and power in pass protection.

For the record, USA Today's footsballs mag highlights an "ultimate mock draft". and they had the Redskins drafting Scherff at #5. The rest of their "expert" mocks for the 1st round had Scherff being drafted by the Giants at #9.

Welcome to the Redskins!  I hope the players actually read these threads.

I really hope we got a stud guard or tackle or wherever we put him.  I believe Callahan can bring the best out of Mr. Sheriff.  ^_^

I love how some armchair fans think they know more about football than McCloughan. Have you guys watched this guy's highlight reel? A large majority of the fan base has been clamoring for a high round O lineman draft pick for about a damn decade. Welcome to the squad my man.

I'm good with it. Very good with it. I feel that we've addressed D-line. We need to build a nasty O-line. A bunch of big, badass,mean mother****ers, that play with an attitude.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. We have Baker Piea, Knighton, and Hatcher already on the line, but no guards and a question mark at right tackle. I suspect that Scherf is considered a bit lower as a prospect than Williams, but close enough in potential that the need side won over.

As for the guard bit, if he turns out to be a guard but he's Steve Hutchinson or better yet Russ Grimm I won't be the least bit upset with spending the pick on him.

Great pick!  I was asking for this pick several weeks ago. He will most likely be moved to G but provide depth at T. I could see him at either G position but ideally he and TW could team up to make an impenetrable left side. Then we work on the other side. I have not given up on Moses and Long. With Callahan, they may just be the ticket on the Right side. Then we just need a C.

I love how some armchair fans think they know more about football than McCloughan. Have you guys watched this guy's highlight reel? A large majority of the fan base has been clamoring for a high round O lineman draft pick for about a damn decade. Welcome to the squad my man.

Who's complaining? The comments here have been positive.

Too many have a problem with him being picked at #5. I say, who the **** cares. 5, 10, 15, whatever. If he can play and he's our guy, you take him. Too many fans get too hung up on what the "experts" in the media think. I pay zero attention to Kiper, Mayock or McShay. They have never been GMs and have never had to actually make real picks. I'll trust Scot whose been there and done that.

Archived