Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

Was watching the draft last night and my son called to find out what was going on. I was excited to tell him that Williams dropped to us. I couldn't believe it. I kept saying "We're getting Williams." over and over while waiting for the stupid commercial. When the pick was announced, I became silent with disbelief. He kept asking what happened. After about 30 seconds I told him we picked Scherff.

I think he's a great pick for us but was just a bit shocked that we didn't take Williams. As I've said before, Scot knows better than me or any of us on here. Welcome to the Redskins Brandon! Make us proud.

If McCloughan, Callahan, and Gruden are all confident in drafting him at 5 thinking he can play RT, that's a pretty strong vote of confidence. Forget what all the draftniks say. 

If he's going to play Tackle in the NFL he's going to need to work a decent amount on his pass pro, which is his weakest area. He gets off balance too easily and ends up on his heels and then its all over. Relies too much on his strength in pass pro as opposed to technique. 

Fantastic! Welcome to the Redskins. Let's ball.

Hail!

Also, let's spell his name correctly. We don't want to get mocked about spelling and grammar on the outside of ES.

I'm happier with the Schllerrffer pick than I was last night.

If he's going to play Tackle in the NFL he's going to need to work a decent amount on his pass pro, which is his weakest area. He gets off balance too easily and ends up on his heels and then its all over. Relies too much on his strength in pass pro as opposed to technique. 

isn't this basically 99% of the people drafted though?

college player that was physically more gifted than the rest, and excelled because of it?

it seems rare to see someone picked that's both a physically gifted individual with great technique. early round draft picks, to my recollection, seem to always either be guys that are just physical beasts and dominated in college because of it, or guys with great technique that allowed them to play better than the measurements suggest they should. seems rare you get both?

Which is why Callahan is here

If McCloughan, Callahan, and Gruden are all confident in drafting him at 5 thinking he can play RT, that's a pretty strong vote of confidence. Forget what all the draftniks say. 

Brugler had him as a very high possible for us at 5. 

And there's not many better scouts analysing out there. 

Hail. 

Welcome to the Redskins!!!

A few things you need to learn ASAP:

1. Hail to the Redskins (HTTR)

2. Burgundy and Gold

3. WE HATE DALLAS

Carry on...now go get 'em

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/30/brandon-scherff-pretty-surprised-to-get-the-call-from-washington/

You forgot to add romoSUCKS and MaraSWALLOWS :D

But once again, Welcome to the Redskins Brandon!

I'm giddy and joyful today!

isn't this basically 99% of the people drafted though?

college player that was physically more gifted than the rest, and excelled because of it?

it seems rare to see someone picked that's both a physically gifted individual with great technique. early round draft picks, to my recollection, seem to always either be guys that are just physical beasts and dominated in college because of it, or guys with great technique that allowed them to play better than the measurements suggest they should. seems rare you get both?

Not necessarily. The top of this draft for OL is relatively weak. Generally with a top 5 Tackle you're looking at a franchise LT with both top notch athleticism as well as good technique in pass pro. Scherff is a beast in the run game but his pass pro is sorta mediocre as a Tackle, which is one of the reasons I think so many people said Guard would be his best position in the NFL. 

I *like* this for 2 reasons

1) It could give us Monster Bookends at tackle (Williams and this new guy if he's as nasty as they say...I watched the film and he seems to take please in bouncing people off the turf even when the play is 25 yards away..planting people..reminds me of Hog Play) so the defense has to respect runs either way...Trent is the reason we had ANY run game

2) Short yardage (same as above) but NOW we can POWER to either side of the line.

Ya..Williams would be a great pick..but last time I looked..not too much scoring and possession happens on defense. *I* think we have adequate players on the D-Line...hope we get a secondary steal in the 2nd.

That right side was just AWFUL...something had to be done and nothing wrong with taking *the* top prospect..

Simple..don't over think the choices..take what you want..don't need to take risks..we're building over the long haul...

Need a Blocking tight end though

I don't want him at RT. He was awful in the pass protection and got dominated against lesser quality players. Just start him at G and stop wasting time developing him at RT.

We have one of the best OL coaches in the game right now in Callahan. I have faith that he can get him ready to play RT or G if need be.

I love how some armchair fans think they know more about football than McCloughan. Have you guys watched this guy's highlight reel? A large majority of the fan base has been clamoring for a high round O lineman draft pick for about a damn decade. Welcome to the squad my man.

Agree 100%.  This is the guy I wanted. Not sure about at 5 but that's how it worked out. I'm great with it. I think some people's problem is that nobody expected Williams to actually fall to us. A huge gift and we passed on it. My thought at the time was WOW, they really passed on him. Was that smart? Scot got the guy he wanted, apparently the only way he logistically could and didn't get taken off track by the shiny present that landed in his lap.

I was shocked we didn't go with Williams but the more I learn about Scherrif the more I like him. The identity of this team during the Super Bowl years was a dominant O-Line that imposed it's will on opposing defenses. Let's get back to that. It will benefit the QB and his confidence, the RBs and the Defense who will get the added rest they need to go back out and get those stops. Love it. In Scot I trust.

Scherff is from Denison, Iowa.  Denison, the county seat of Crawford County about 120 miles west of Des Moines, has a population of 8,298.

Other notable people from Denison:

Actress Donna Reed/

Starred in films It's a Wonderful Life and From Here to Eternity, and TV's The Donna Reed Show and Dallas.

donna-reed-itsawonderfullife-5.jpg

Jim Garrison, the District Attorney in New Orleans, who led efforts to prove there was a conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy.  He was portrayed by Kevin Costner in Oliver Stone's flim JFK.

JFK-Garrison_Jim_New-Orleans_1960s.jpg

Archived