Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

I didn't say you changed your position. I said you looked like you reversed your post (i.e. rearranged the paragraph).

But, whatever. You are just being a ridiculous flame-thrower. I wasn't happy with the #5 pick either, but I'm not going to be childish about it like you.

So if that's what you want, flail away. :)

He's way smarter than you.

Way.

N/M---don't want all that crap in a "welcome" thread. 

Simply put--people would benefit from knowing and following rules 5 and 12, and I suggest if they're feeling feisty about something, that they give some thought to whether they're making a solid point, or mainly starting a flame war, or just being insulting to fellow members.

Although I try not to get in the mods business too much, I have to say I'm glad one of you popped in.

I've been here a while, and as foolish as most of us look some of the time (and some of us most of the time), I've come to expect a slightly higher level of discourse than this:

"If you think that, you're stupid."

"Can you read?"

"I'm smarter than you."

"No you're stupid, he's smart."

"You're just a mean troll."

Anyway . . . that SI article at the top of the last page is awesome.

Did you just simply reverse the post you had previously put up in this thread? :rolleyes: LOLIf all you are going to do is go on ridiculous anti-Gruden tirades, no one will listen to you. I don't know if he is going to be a better head coach, but he is not a stupid man.

it's so easy to pick out the people here who have RG III flatheads in their rooms.

He didn't say what you think he said.

I don't mean to pry, but I think some of you might have more success if you actually try to understand each other's posts before commenting on them (not to single anybody out, just something I've been noticing).

Folks, the above is REALLY sound advice. Read and reflect.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/protecting-qbs-redskins-scherff-was-one?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

(Tarik El-Bashir)

Before protecting QBs, Redskins' Scherff was one

Brandon Scherff was quite surprised when he looked down at his phone moments after the Redskins selected him with the No. 5 overallpick Thursday night.

Amid all the messages from friends and family, there was also a greeting from the man he figures to be protecting next season.

It hasn’t sunk in quite yet,” Scherff said, asked if he's thought about what it will be like to block for Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris a few months from now. “RG3 texted me Thursday night and said,

'Congratulations, I can’t wait to meet you.’"

Well, Scherff got that opportunity Saturday afternoon at the team's draft day party at FedEx Field. After the former Iowa star was introduced to the crowd, he bumped into Griffin behind the stage. The two shook hands and shared a few laughs.

"I’m ready to block for him,” Scherff said a little later.

“I played quarterback until halfway through my junior year,” he explained, noting that he weighed 290 pounds at the time.

“Then,” Scherff added, “Iowa offered [a scholarship] and said, ‘Sorry we’re not going to offer you as a quarterback. We want you as an offensive lineman.’ So I moved to tight end halfway through my junior year and then offensive line my last year.”

It didn’t take him long to realize he had made the right decision.

“On my first snap, the physicality of the position, I just loved it,” Scherff said.

Playing quarterback, though, isn’t all that's noteworthy about Scherff’s diverse athletic past. He also played tennis as a freshman in high school before schedule conflicts (and his size) caused him to quit.

“I tried it my freshmen year, but I had to give it up,” he said. “Because I went from track to tennis to baseball practice—all in the spring.”

Scherff joked that just because he doesn’t play competitive tennis anymore, that doesn’t mean he’s no longer dangerous on the court.

“It’s good,” he cracked, asked about the state of his game. “You try to do a little power but you have to get ‘em off balance with a little finesse, too.”

<more, inc. the video int., at link>

Yeah, I think it was in the Draft Day thread, somebody posted an interview with him.  There were things that stuck in my head.  (Not easy to do.) 

He said that he weighed 290, and his center weighed 190.  "Usually you want those the other way around". 

He said that, his freshman year, he played football, basketball, baseball, tennis, and track. 

He said he'd run QB sneak on Second and Five. 

"Sure.  Why not?"

"Weren't you afraid you'd injure your center?"

"Nah, I'd tell him to run right, and I'd run left." 

Love this pick. I was many who clamored for the "reach" of going for O-Line at the top of the draft, so I am very glad to see this.

Pros:

we can maybe block on pass plays (a novelty indeed)...

our running backs might get some blocks on run plays...

Using my limited football knowledge, I think blocking on pass & run plays might be a good thing? ;)

Added bonus: watching the video, I love this guys trademark "pile on top of them when they go down" finishing move...while I can't hear his voice on the clips I imagine him shouting "and stay down!" when he does it...

He may not be quite such a dominant force in the NFL up against the pro players, but he seems promising! :)

l look at it as, if we establish the running game, teams have to use more resources to stop the run.

This means, not as many all out blitzes on RG3. Because the threat of the run is there(including RG3 running).

Someone had a stat of 3 and manageable for RG3 and he had a 105 QBR or something. Versus a 75 with the 3rd and longs we had all last year.  HUZZAHHHH!!!

No clue about line play, so to those who have played/know something about OL play, if your long term plan were to play Scherff at RG, and given that he's already our best RT currently -- that is, we don't have anyone who would be better at RT this coming year -- and assuming we are in position to take a top-shelf RT next year, would it benefit Scherff's development at RG to play at year of RT in the NFL to get a better understanding of what the guy on his outside will be doing?  Would it not matter?  Would it retard his growth as a RG?  I'm not saying the Skins want to/should move him to G; I'm just curious about this process if they do.

Obviously there are a lot of great players who'd be available to the Skins at pick #5. It seems odd to be vehemently disagreeing with one another on whether the Skins got the "best" #5 pick... because everyone is going to differ on who that "best" player would be.

I'm sure that Beasley, or Williams would have been a great addition to the Skins roster; just as much as I think Scherff will be be a great addition. Frankly, to have the Skins land a highly-regarded O-lineman, the 2014 Outland Trophy winner, with high quality character traits, who comes from a program renowned for churning out great O-linemen -- that would seem like good news for the Skins' O-line woes.(In addition, Scherff appears to be versatile/effective at several spots on the O-line, which will be reassuring, since the Skins need help at almost every spot.)

But if you want to engage in the message board post-draft exercise of "would'a, could'a should'a" -- there's no shortage of scenarios in which you can point to, about how the Skins could have obtained other guys available, and then make a case that they would have improved the Skins 'better' than Scherff -- maybe even scenarios where the Skins wound up with an elite player.

But frankly, we fans don't have all the facts, and we certainly aren't able to predict the future. So, who knows which players will become elite franchise-level players, who may 'bust', and who may wind up being a long-term 'solid' player.

Maybe the best way to look at this, is to consider whether you think the Skins are a better team as a result of the off-season and draft. If you think that to be the case, then the offseason and the draft were successful. And if so, maybe there's a bit more hope for being competitive this season. (Something easier to focus on, rather than hypothesizing how the Skins could have improved their lot, "even better" by starting out their draft with Williams or Beasley.)

I've been guilty of post-draft hypothesizing in the past, but giving up that bad habit. So now, even I thought very highly of USC's Williams, I'm going to try to focus on relishing how there are now a lot more new high-quality of players on the Skins roster, and avoid fixating on how well all my "pre-draft favorites" might be faring on the other teams they wound up with.

So, WELCOME, BRANDON SCHERFF!! I'm really glad you're going to be on the Skins team!

Can the admins just institute the small piece of code to prevent getting warnings from quote mistakes? I can give you the code. It's not difficult to remove video embeds, or have the quoted post render a link instead.

Not sure if it's possible with this board, but that'd be up TK's alley. Never mind the possible issues that may arise when we relax the rule in picture threads or whatever.

So, appreciate the sentiment but, for now, just follow the rule. It's a simple one.

Violators lately have been getting 48 hour posting restrictions, at the least, so you should be happy you only got an edit and a slap on the wrist. ;)

**EDIT** Wow, this guy also asked for his account to be permanently deleted in the Feedback and Tech Forum. Didn't see it until now. He got his wish, and over something so trivial.

I'm mentioning this here so he serves as a nice lesson in terms of how not to act anywhere, under any circumstance in life, lol. Just to go over this, he:

1) Violates rule 11 (quotes a video clip) and rule 3 (spamming by just responding with "this"). He only receives a verbal warning for rule 11, no mention of rule 3.

2) Then comes back because he couldn't handle such blatant disregard of his awesomeness (I mean, how could a mod ask him to do such things like follow a known rule) and violates rule 4 (off topic about coding to prevent rule 11 violations) and rule 18 (thinking he knows better than ES staff).

3) While I'm an idiot and attempt to massage his ego a little bit, responding here with the above first (see before the edit). Little did I know he...

4) Posted in the Feedback and Tech Forum asking how he can have his account permanently deleted, lol. Because, again, how dare a mod verbally warn him for violating a rule. What an affront to his sense of dignity! 

So, wish granted. I'm kind like that. :)     

OK, pardon the interruption everyone. Back to Sherff!  

Archived