Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

A dominant D-line guarantees you nothing.  Look at the Jets D-line; best 3-4 line in the league and they barely finish .500 season after season.  Give me a dominant O-line like the 2013 Eagles, 2014 Cowboys, and (the best of them all) the Hogs, all day over a dominant D-line.

After wanting Willliams initially, I'm now happy with this pick. My concern is that we are starting him at RT where he may need some time and at RG, he would probably dominate immediately. Callahan must see something in him that makes him think they BS can be coached up at RT.

A dominant D-line guarantees you nothing. Look at the Jets D-line; best 3-4 line in the league and they barely finish .500 season after season. Give me a dominant O-line like the 2013 Eagles, 2014 Cowboys, and (the best of them all) the Hogs, all day over a dominant D-line.

So the Giants dominant defensive line getting them to a Super Bowl and winning it doesn't count?

When you're expecting to be picked in the teens, and a team goes and grabs you at five, you'd better sell out proving them right.  I like the pick alright.

He was a projected top 10 pick and slated to go at #9 or #10.  He was the best o-lineman in the draft.  Selecting him 4 spots earlier is not a "grab" or "reach".

For all we know, they tried to move back a couple of spots to #7 or #8, which really makes no sense, because both teams picking at those spots knew their guy would be there when they picked.   Pure speculation.  

Also, what a lot of people keep forgetting, there is a rookie salary cap now.  Basing it off 2014 numbers (all I found on a quick search, too lazy to find 2015 numbers), the difference in the #5 picks cap their first year ($3.395 million) and the #32 pick ($1.245 million) is $2.15 million dollars, which really is not a huge deal.

The difference of him going #9 or #10 to the Giants or Rams and us taking him at #5 is roughly $1 million dollars (year one).  Not a stretch by any means, anymore.  The only real danger now for drafts would be giving up multiple picks, including future first round ones to move up and select a player.  

Owners/teams are protected by the rookie salary cap.  A stretch/reach would be selecting a player graded by "experts" to be a 3rd/4th round talent and selecting them in the first round.  

Even if you look at it over the entire 4 year contract, the total difference in value of the #5 pick versus the #9 pick is roughly 6 million dollars.  Sounds like a lot, but it works out to paying 1-2 million (increases each year) over time of the contract, so the max difference in one year (the last one) is roughly 2 million, which isn't anything.

So the Giants dominant defensive line getting them to a Super Bowl and winning it doesn't count?

The Giants dominated the playoffs with a combination of using 4 pass rushers in a 4-3 scheme and Eli dominating at exactly the right time.  It worked for them, even though they never looked dominant during the season.  They got hot at the right time, and I'd rather not try to catch lightning in a bottle. I want to have an attitude established on the O-line that will set the tone for the whole team, open up huge holes for our RB, and most importantly keep our QB from taking as many hits as they do now. 

Brand new hog! Day 1 starter at RG, which has been a massive hole for about a decade. He can always kick in to guard if needed. We have talent at skill positions but without a line to open holes and give the QB time the skill positions won't mean much. 

I hear we had Fowler, Cooper, and Scher as 1, 2, 3. It's nice when the need matches the board. 

We got the top lineman on our board, which I think is smart. I've always been firmly in the draft linemen camp. I would have been ok with Williams too, but I think I like going o-line more.

Keep in mind we're shifting from finesse to power, which is good, but we need personnel. We need mass and strength, which Scherff has, but Scherff can also move, and that versatility could only help the transition.

The draft is always something of a guessing game, but I think this is a reasonable pick.

Welcome to the Redskins....

I said a while back I thought Scot would find it difficult to leave this guy on the board, even at pick 5. I think he just outright loved what he has to bring to this team.

When your looking to pay your QB 16mil a year, best fix the OL pretty damn quick.

The lure of picking Williams will at 5 must have been great, but I think we'll be very happy with this pick over time.

The guard talk is premature. I read the analysts who thought he'd be great at guard too, but that's a projection and a guess. The good news is that we have the coach who last year seemingly made the same call with a similar kind of player with the Cowboys. If this guy looks at the skill set and where this guy can be at his best and it's guard... then history says he will make the switch. If he turns out to be our tackle... well, we need an answer there too.

No one knows if Scherff would be good at guard. He may or may not be. Let him and the team find his position. What we know is that for pretty much the whole off season he was rated as the top o-line prospect. Kind of nice to have that on our side.

A write-up on Scherff from before the draft:

"Scherff is unanimously acknowledged as the most NFL-ready offensive lineman in the draft, and a coach's dream, but there is no consensus on what position he should play. He could use his broad shoulders and toughness at guard, where he played as a freshman, or show his excellent technique at tackle, where he lined up on the left side.

[...]Physically, mentally and emotionally Scherff is exactly what a coach wants in an offensive lineman. Draft him and then figure out where he can best help."

I don't think this pick was BPA as all of us were expecting but it's a safe pick that should land the team a starter on the all important line.  If he doesn't start at RT he starts at a guard spot.  We need a RT and two guards... and a center.  Now I'm depressed.  Anyway back to the happy stuff, this guy looks like a can't miss to start somewhere.  If that proves true, the team got better on the first day of the draft at a position of desperate need.  That result is easy to support. 

Our franchise QB needs OL, our new GM values OL like he grew up a Redskin. About ******* time, now we need to follow up with at least 2 interior OL so hopefully none of the 3 turnstyles we had there last season see the field again in B&G.

A great big welcome to Brandon. Offensive line is without doubt one of the areas in biggest need of addressing. Scot M had the opportunity to take the top offensive lineman on his board and he went and did it. Most importantly, he did not just take the top offensive lineman left, but the best one available in the draft. That just cannot be overstated. If there's anyone in this league who can aid his transition into the NFL and help him fully realise his potential, wherever it may be along the line, it's Callaghan. He's in good hands.

Yes, Leonard Williams would also have been a good pick here. The needs along both lines are obvious. But it's the best player available in the mind of Scot and his team that matters, not anybody else. Sure, maybe Dan Hazanus (sic) from NFL.com thinks this is a head scratcher. But flip the draft positions Scherff and Williams were taken and either nobody's even talking about it, or everybody's saying both teams just got better. Both teams could end up with all-pro caliber lineman, just on different sides of the ball. So why does the order in which they were taken matter? With the NFL, there's always an excess of talking heads with nothing substantial to talk about. This time of year, they've got even less to work with, just speculation, rumour and prediction, so the output's even more putrid than normal.

Hopefully, between Trent Williams, Spencer Long, Morgan Moses and Brandon Scherff, there's 4/5ths of a long-term decent offensive line for Gruden to realise his vision.

Hopefully we play him at G. He could be dominant there. At OT he'll bust.

That'll be up to Callahan to make sure it doesn't happen. But dude has all the intangibles you want for him to succeed at any position.

Welcome to the Redskins Brandon!

Playing LG would have us the Bushwackers on our left side. Playing him RT would remind me of Jansen/Samuels. Pretty great duo.

Really pleased with the pick.

There's a new Scherff in town.

The way I see it is, Williams was a sexy pick. He may sell tickets and jerseys, but sexy doesn't win games. Williams won't help RG3 succeed, which is the #1 priority this year. Scherff will help us win some games this year.

Who's complaining? The comments here have been positive.

Definitely a random post as this thread goes.  I think he was saying in general as to some of the responses (outside of this thread) to the pick.  

Happy with the pick and excited to see if we continue to bolster the line today and/or tomorrow.  Can't have enough good linemen on either side.  

Archived