Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

Who's complaining? The comments here have been positive.

I started to accumulate a couple of comments from the board but there were 1 or 2 from people I kinda respect and I didn't want to call them out.

Glad to see more positive than not. The highest rated offensive lineman on EVERYONE’s draft board is soon to be a Washington Redskin and I couldn’t be happier.

Some folks are citing protection of the RG3 investment as one big reason for the pick, and a challenging view is it's Scherff's pass protection that's weak. And then someon can come back with "that's why we have Callahan" and the old "that's where we coach them up."

I think that dialogue is all good. But I'm not seeing many saying what went through my mind---not just finally going after the OL as the priority like we've been asking for a decade, but specifically how one thing that's been made clear by Gruden, Callahan, and Scot.

And that is that 3QB (a new term for ES :P) aside, we are going for a nasty, mean, power running game as our offensive foundation. And so they had on their board the best run blocker in the draft with lots of athletic positives and the right kind of attitude/character by their assessment.

And when the very real but different jewel was dangled, it was a possibility I'd say they obviously would have discussed, and still went with who they had on their board. That's why one of my first posts on this last night was a reply to someone where I said I found it not just a great move, but "comforting."

Welcome to the Washington Redskins future Hog Sherff.  :)

For me, it's a "thank you Scot and Jay", said with full respect for the top-level talent of Mr. Williams.

Scherff feels a major need, how many games have we sat through and cussed the OL play? You build a team in the trenches with the moves made in FA on the D Line glad to see us FINALLY address the O Line. Yeah Williams is the more "attractive" pick, but when you get the best player in the draft at his position and that position is an area of need which we have neglected for years, we made the right choice. Welcome to Washington Big Fella HTTR

And that is that 3QB (a new term for ES :P) aside, we are going for a nasty, mean, power running game as our offensive foundation. 

Lots of things do point to that? I was in the "now let's project Robert" camp but I see what you did there ;)

WaPo: Saturday’s run-first game plan is blueprint for how Gruden, Griffin can succeed together

“And I know Jay Gruden a little bit,” Jon Gruden said of his brother. “He wants to bring back some of the history of the Redskins, and if you want to do that, you’ve gotta have the Hogs, man.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/04/30/jon-gruden-and-alfred-morris-were-happy-the-redskins-drafted-brandon-scherff/

“First off, Jay’s an excellent coach,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said this week in Orlando. “It’s a West Coast offense. I think the Grudens have their own patent on their own version of the West Coast offense because they built it so well. But it’s based on running the ball effectively.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/03/28/opposing-coaches-describe-a-jay-gruden-offense/

One of the talking heads on nfl network tied it up nicely---"they had him at #3 BPA overall, it is also an area of need in a unit that is being given top priority, and he met all their desires in terms of character and attitude" (paraphrasing his comments). Which is what I said last night. You guys notice how 90% of us (and think of who all that let's in  :P) could do as well or better at being a talking head than the guys who get those gigs?  :D

I'm not sure how I have never been to this site??? so great. 

Yup, the hammer has been bringing some good stuffs here recently.

Lots of things do point to that? I was in the "now let's project Robert" camp but I see what you did there ;)

<edit>

The priests told my parents "watch him, he's a shifty little ****."

Some Dallas fans reactions to us picking Scherff:

From a Cowboys' fan's perspective, the best thing about the Redskins selecting Scherff is that it forced the Giants into reaching for Flowers.

Between that and the Eagles' failure to get Mariota (and the associated fallout with Bradford, Cox, Kendricks, and Boykin), I think the Cowboys fans and Redskins fans had a pretty enjoyable first draft night.

So some of you guys are saying we will be power running now.  Well lets hope Gruden does that because if you remember last year we were scratching our heads many times why we were not running the ball.  Anyway if we are trully going to be a nasty in your face power running team then IMO Scherff should play LG.  With him there and Trent, I can see Morris getting 4 yards before he even gets touched.  Also playing Scherff there would eliminate one of the biggest complains against him, not being able to set the edge.  Lets get Fisher or Clemmings if possible to coach up for RT.

Which brings me to the next point.  If our new OL coach is so damn good and he can coach Scherff to be a RT why not Moses?  And certainly why not Fisher if we can get him with our next pick?  We all want a huge nasty OL don't we?

Agreed!!! Welcome to the Redskins!!! Now, do your thing... make some pancakes:)

Guy is great for pancakes. What's best is that players stop when the refs blow whistle, but Scherff goes on up to the pancake. He'll piss quite some guys in the NFL with such attitude. Love that. Our OL might mean fear to opposing DL soon.

And that is that 3QB (a new term for ES :P) aside, we are going for a nasty, mean, power running game as our offensive foundation. And so they had on their board the best run blocker in the draft with lots of athletic positives and the right kind of attitude/character by their assessment.

That's where I've been, for months. (Years?)

All my discussion about our line, my focus has been "does it improve our running game?" All the debate about whether our sacks were the line's fault or the QB's fault, I was saying "so how come AlMo keeps getting hit two yards behind the line, every time he gets the ball?"

(And oh, by the way, I love me some big, nasty, power running game.) 

Guy is great for pancakes. What's best is that players stop when the refs blow whistle, but Scherff goes on up to the pancake. He'll piss quite some guys in the NFL with such attitude. Love that. Our OL might mean fear to opposing DL soon.

Better than the French toast Tom Compton serves up.

All the talk about where he would play, I like the idea of putting him at LG.  Him next to Trent would make a brick wall on that side.  Then give it to AlMo and run it to the left 60 times a game.  No one could stop it.  Hell, we could tell the other team who and where we are running and they still couldn't stop it, just like the Diesel. 

So some of you guys are saying we will be power running now.  Well lets hope Gruden does that because if you remember last year we were scratching our heads many times why we were not running the ball.  Anyway if we are trully going to be a nasty in your face power running team then IMO Scherff should play LG.  With him there and Trend, I can see Morris getting 4 yards before he even gets touched.  Also playing Scherff there would eliminate one of the biggest complains against him, not being able to set the edge.  Lets get Fisher or Clemmings if possible to coach up for RT.

Which brings me to the next point.  If our new OL coach is so damn good and he can coach Scherff to be a RT why not Moses?  And certainly why not Fisher if we can get him with our next pick?  We all want a huge nasty OL don't we?

I got no problem with us going OL with our 2nd or 3rd pick.  Even if the guy is supposedly a Tackle.  (After all, one of the claims about Scherf is that you can put him anywhere on the OL, and he'll be great.) 

Got to say, in my mental fantasy, he's playing Right Guard, simply because in my simplistic view of football, that's the side you run the ball on. 

But I'm not picky. 

I think Lavar said "he hits like he plays defense.)  :)

Still not sure about him playing Tackle for us. In those gifs he really had some horrible footwork and positioning when he got beat in pass pro, especially by fast edge rushers. Sure he can probably be coached up, but if I had a choice I'd rather him be an All Pro Guard than a "good" Right Tackle. I'd be fine putting him at LG and then drafting Fisher in the 2nd to be our RT since he is more of a natural pass protector. 

Welcome to the B&G, Brandon Scherrf!

Maybe pickup TJ Clemmings as Right Tackle and move Scherrf to Guard?   That would make for a pretty badass Offensive Line.  Personally, i don't care where a person was drafted, come gameday.

If that happens, The OLine battle will garner a lot of fan & media attention, during training camp.  Maybe bring in Hard Knocks B)

Regardless, HAIL!

-Pick

Archived