Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

Scherff is going to be a very good right guard, but that's not who you draft with a top five pick.

Why? I still consider this the worst possible argument against Scherff. We didn't have a pick at 12 or 20. We had the #5. What you want is a solid starter that has a chance to be great at his position. This has been accomplished. Before we hear about the whole trade thing again - You have to have a trade partner to trade!!!!

We needed Oline help. He was arguably the best Oline in the draft. Just because the peanut gallery has decided that's not enough value for that pick, does not make it so. 

Watched the tape of the first half of yesterday's game specifically focusing on the Sherriff and Moses. 

I was pleasantly surprised.

Catch Brandon cutting and chipping Suh like a veteran ... and Morgan blocking for Jones on his third-down sweep.

If these guys stay upright ... Skins' right-side OL would seem to be in good shape for years to come.

Did not have the heart to watch tape of second half.

You can tell they did well. Suh started playing dirtier and dirtier. Of course, none of it was called. Facemasks and kicks are legal against the Redskins. :tantrum:

Scherff had a more than solid debut. Hope he doesn't relax next week. Focus is required every week.

I've mentioned before that the Redskins at least used to have a tradition: Whenever a RB has a 100 yard day, he owes the OL a dinner.

Really hope that tradition continues/gets re-created. (Among other things, because I think it must be a great team builder.)

Scherff played well against a tough DL.

That being said, we've had players play very well in individual games, and then never show up again, so I'm optimistic but not overly so.  If he has more good games than bad and then improves further next year, that will truly be when we can give him long lasting kudos.  I'm really hoping he and Moses work out.  That would lock down 3/5 positions and then we just need to fix the last two.

I've mentioned before that the Redskins at least used to have a tradition: Whenever a RB has a 100 yard day, he owes the OL a dinner.

Really hope that tradition continues/gets re-created. (Among other things, because I think it must be a great team builder.)

I agree with bringing back the tradition, but we gotta pay AlMo first.

He's a good enough back that on a league minimum salary with a decent OL giving him a little help, he'd be treating them just about weekly, and OL guys can eat.  AlMo would have nothing left of his salary!

Huh?

DT/DE: Leonard Williams-Elite

WR: Kevin White-Elite (some would add Devante Parker)

RB: Todd Gurley-2nd best RB to come out since Ricky Williams in '99, and A.P. in '07 (LT2 was better than Williams, but at draft time for both, RIcky had the better eval)

It's a little late, but I stand by the statement that there was a lack of elite talent across the board.  There were two guys who got close in my eyes, Cooper and Gurley, but one was gone by 5, and the other injured his ACL in November, and it's always tough to know what'll happen on the other side of an injury like that.  Peterson came out very strong, but it utterly ruined RGIII.

Williams was close too (as was Fowler), but his run stopping was a tad better than his pass rushing.  Still very good in the latter category, and overall a top 10 pick, easily, but not so sure about elite.  White has elite measurables, but was otherwise pretty raw, and that keeps him from elite pick status.

It's a little late, but I stand by the statement that there was a lack of elite talent across the board.  There were two guys who got close in my eyes, Cooper and Gurley, but one was gone by 5, and the other injured his ACL in November, and it's always tough to know what'll happen on the other side of an injury like that.  Peterson came out very strong, but it utterly ruined RGIII.

Williams was close too (as was Fowler), but his run stopping was a tad better than his pass rushing.  Still very good in the latter category, and overall a top 10 pick, easily, but not so sure about elite.  White has elite measurables, but was otherwise pretty raw, and that keeps him from elite pick status.

I didn't love Fowler. I thought people were massively overrating him because of his elite size and athleticism, but they were ignoring the lack of production, which is a key component of evaluating LB play for me.

Anyway, I agree that Williams wasn't quite the prospect that Cooper and Gurley were, but he was in their tier for me. I thought they constituted the First tier, but that Gurley must be moved out of consideration for a top 9ish pick because of his ACL injury.

If I had been drafting, I would have picked Williams. I am a BPA man and Williams would have been the BPA for me. But I didn't think he was as explosive and physical as Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, and Nick Fairley were, who I viewed as truly elite DT prospects. Nor was he the kind of power-based dancing bear-type of DT that Marcel Dareus was. But I thought he was just a small step down in quality from them, and thus was still a very high level DT prospect.

I guess my nit-picky complaint about Williams was that he lacked some "wow" factor because of that lack of explosion. I saw him as an overachiever with great instincts and a tremendous motor. He was using every last bit of his football talent. So I kind of questioned how much untapped potential there was with him.

I think Williams would have been a great pick and a very successful player for us. But I'm a little more intrigued by Scherff and am not sad we went with him instead. I guess it's because Scherff is such a freakish and odd physical specimen and that he seemed to have so much untapped ability. He is more of a boom or bust type player. His tape had some really awful looking moments, especially in that Maryland game. But it also had a ton of jaw dropping moments where you could see flashes of an elite ceiling.

Plus Scherff, in conjunction with Trent and hopefully Morgan Moses, is going to establish our identity as a team. I think a dominating OL is going to be the a priori factor in any future team success we have, much like it was for the Cowboys last year. And once you've invested the resources to build that awesome OL, I believe it frees you up to chase expensive free agents on defense and at the skill positions, and spend high picks on whatever position you want without any regrets.

Archived