Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins,Brandon Scherff OL Iowa

PCS

#5 is a high price to pay for a G but Gruden stated that he will be plugged in at RT. And he can play all over the line, including LT.

I would be surprised if he is just solid. The guy is nasty and was widely considered the top OL in this year's draft. Good, solid pick that will help the offense.

To be honest I'd much rather have him at Guard. His pass pro issues are a bit worrying; he really struggles against speedy edge rushers who can use their hands well. I'm sure he can be coached but if we get a guy like Fisher in the 2nd who is a better pass protector I'd prefer to stick him at RT and let Scherff play Guard where I think he has All Pro potential. 

To be honest I'd much rather have him at Guard. His pass pro issues are a bit worrying; he really struggles against speedy edge rushers who can use their hands well. I'm sure he can be coached but if we get a guy like Fisher in the 2nd who is a better pass protector I'd prefer to stick him at RT and let Scherff play Guard where I think he has All Pro potential. 

I keep hearing this plan.  (And I keep liking it.) 

I have images of Morris breaking his single-season rushing record.  Wouldn't mind that at all. 

Has nothing to do with it. If he ends up a perennial Pro Bowler or All Pro for years to come I'll be thrilled. But if a #5 overall pick ends up just being "solid" then I think that was a wasted pick, no matter what the position. Is that really that extreme a position?

No it isn't, and you are spot on.

To paraphrase Tandler in a tweet, 'Scherff needs to be a really REALLY good RT to justify this pick. If he ends up just an 'ok' guard, then the pick is a problem'.

Scherff needs to be more than 'solid' or even 'above average' to justify a blue-chip, #5 selection. He needs to dominate the position he plays (hopefully he can handle RT) for it to be a good pick.

A 'solid' player you can get in round 3. 'Solid' is not what you are looking for in top of the first round.

I was listening to ESPN radio and they had his college coach on and he said that he had a knee scope in his last season and decided to play when he probably shouldn't have and it affected his play for a few games. He didn't say which games but I'm suspecting that the MD game was one of them.

I was listening to ESPN radio and they had his college coach on and he said that he had a knee scope in his last season and decided to play when he probably shouldn't have and it affected his play for a few games. He didn't say which games but I'm suspecting that the MD game was one of them.

Tough guy, no doubt. Plays through injuries. I like that. We'll see if he can improve his pass-pro.

The legend grows...

[From the SI article]

As a senior he won the Outland Trophy, given to college football’s best interior lineman, and he also added another chapter to his legend—the time he tore his meniscus, and only missed one practice. The injury happened in the first half of a September game against Ball State. He came back after halftime and finished the game, then found out Monday night he had a small tear in the meniscus of his right knee. Tuesday morning, he had a knee scope. Scherff knew if he took pain medicine the doctors would have to hold him out, so he refused it. Wednesday morning, he lifted. Thursday, he practiced with the team. And on Saturday, he started against Iowa State. Kirk Ferentz has never coached a player who was back on the field so quickly after a knee scope, much less one who was also just months away from being a first-round draft pick.

During the combine medical exams, some team doctors thought there was a misprint on his record. “It says you missed one practice. Do you mean one game?” one doctor asked him. “No,” Scherff replied. “One practice.”

```

This would be fun to see:  Scherff returning punts:

[Also from the SI article] 

Iowa coaches are only half-joking when they say Scherff might have been the team’s best punt returner. Sure-handed. Unusual hand-eye coordination for a big fella.

Has nothing to do with it. If he ends up a perennial Pro Bowler or All Pro for years to come I'll be thrilled. But if a #5 overall pick ends up just being "solid" then I think that was a wasted pick, no matter what the position. Is that really that extreme a position?

Here's the rub, I don't think there's a perennial pro-bowler in this class.  At least, not on their own.

Williams is good with potential to be better, but he doesn't have that elite pass rushing explosiveness.  He projects to be a very good 3-4 DE, but he'd have to continue improving to become a perennial pro-bowler.

Fowler is basically the same, edge rushing is solid, but not amazing enough to be a pro-bowler; with his present skillset he's a solid addition but not a defense changer.

Cooper honestly is probably the best odds of being a perennial pro-bowler.  Where the pass rushers lack some explosiveness while being well rounded elsewhere, Cooper has the tools to take a random short pass to the house.  Still, he'll need targets to pull it off.

Beasley might be a perennial pro-bowler, if only because he's so specialized as an edge rusher that even on limited snaps and use, he might still get solidly into the double digits on sacks.  But he's likely to be troublesome elsewhere.

The list can go on.

I don't think anyone in this draft screams year-in year-out pro-bowler.  The best guys scream "solid" while whispering that they have the potential to be more.  Scherff fits right in with these guys for RT and/or LG.

Now, we can get into positional importance, a solid LDE is probably "more important" than a solid RT/LG, but I don't think the difference is big enough that this pick is bad.  We all laughed at Dallas, and now they're laughing.

If he ends up just being "solid" then it was a waste of a #5 pick. Getting a guy that high you expect pro bowls, and taking a guy who may be a Guard that high you expect all pro type of production. "Solid" would be fine for a 3rd or 4th rounder, but not for a 5th overall pick.

Disagree, that's going to depend largely on those around him.

I think about the 2009 draft for example.

Has Andre Smith really lived up to a #6 pick? A solid, but not spectacular at all, right tackle? Not really. But then you look around him in the top 15 or so players that realistically one could've assumed would've been drafted around that time.

The guys in front of him? Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry? Meh.

After him? Darrius Heyward Bey? No way. Eugene Monroe? Pretty similar. Raji? Great at first but has largley fizzled lately. Maybin? Knowshown Moreno? Malcolm Jenkins?

Andre Smith...in relation to a #6 pick in general would be a "waste". Andre Smith, in relation to THAT DRAFT and how things have played out, was a good pick. Was it a STELLAR pick? No. But looking at the players that ended up realistically having a shot of going in the top 10 of that draft, there wasn't many better picks that could've been made.

So what's my point with this and Scherff?

If Scherff is just "solid" and three or four of the following happen:

- Williams really ends up being the next Richard Seymour

- Kevin White is the next Julio Jones

- Vic Beasley is basically Von Miller

- Ereck Flowers becomes a Pro Bowl LT

- Danny Shelton wrecks shop in Cleveland

- Trae Waynes is Joe Haden or Patrick Peterson

- Andrus Peat becomes a Pro Bowl LT

Then yeah...I'd say that it was a bit of a waste. Because there would've been guys who one could realistically say could've been expected as at least an outside potential option for that #5 pick that would've been SIGNIFICANTLY better.

However, if most of those guys just turn out to be "solid" at best as well, then it's a solid pick that wasn't a waste in relation to what else you could've got.

Idealy you want a DIFFERENCE MAKER when you have a #5 pick. But sometimes, as you can see back in 2009, there just isn't a guy realistically projected as a "top of the draft" prospect who turns out to be a difference maker. And in those cases, you can't call getting the best out of a bad situation a "waste" because you didn't really have a legitimate way to say "no thanks, I'll just pick next year".

No it isn't, and you are spot on.

To paraphrase Tandler in a tweet, 'Scherff needs to be a really REALLY good RT to justify this pick. If he ends up just an 'ok' guard, then the pick is a problem'.

Scherff needs to be more than 'solid' or even 'above average' to justify a blue-chip, #5 selection. He needs to dominate the position he plays (hopefully he can handle RT) for it to be a good pick.

A 'solid' player you can get in round 3. 'Solid' is not what you are looking for in top of the first round.

You can get solid players in rounds 5/6/7 and even UDFA. What you're asking of a #5 pick is to be a perennial Pro Bowler. But those don't came every draft. So if there's none, what are you supposed to do at #5? Withdraw it.

A #5 pick have to be a day 1 starter and improve your team.  If he plays 10 years for us and settle the position, I don't care what ever Williams will do for the Jets and I don't care if he ever go to the Pro Bowl or not. Pro Bowl is a beauty contest and definately not based on performances. If having Scherff improves our OL so that we divide our QB sacks by 2, that AlMo gets 1500 rushing yars and we go to the play offs, I don't give a damn if he was picked at #5.

I've said it many times, it's not about who you picked and where you pick your guys. It's about picking right and not picking a player that bust.

Anyway, I'm having the feeling that the NYJ vs WAS game will be interesting to see who was right. And I'm already behind Scherff to put an end to all this by crushing Williams all day long.

Anyway, I'm having the feeling that the NYJ vs WAS game will be interesting to see who was right. And I'm already behind Scherff to put an end to all this by crushing Williams all day long.

This isn't about 'showing up' anybody.

And trust me, come regular season, I am one of the optimist on the board. I'll be the one saying that he's just a rookie and has to be given time. While many who are supporting him now will abandon him the first sack he gives up in the first game.

Bank on it. :)

I love Scheriff but not at pick 5. We paid $100,000 for a $60,000 car. I mean a Guard and RT at pick 5? Jay Gruden is stupid. We all saw it in his poor playcalling and in his horrid pressers. Obviously his stupidity has contaminated the rest of the Redskins organization, unfortunately.

Jon Jansen was a great RT for us. We got him in the second round.

NFL Network is openly questioning our pick as I type this. They are right in doing so. The Jay Gruden Effect just keeps the stupid flowing in Ashburn.

I love Scheriff but not at pick 5. We paid $100,000 for a $60,000 car. I mean a Guard and RT at pick 5? Jay Gruden is stupid. We all saw it in his poor playcalling and in his horrid pressers. Obviously his stupidity has contaminated the rest of the Redskins organization, unfortunately.

Jon Jansen was a great RT for us. We got him in the second round.

NFL Network is openly questioning our pick as I type this. They are right in doing so. The Jay Gruden Effect just keeps the stupid flowing in Ashburn.

You are making it sound worse than it really is.

Scherff is a good player. I think he will do well for the Redskins.

However, I question taking him at #5 (reach) with Williams sitting there.

And the decision to take him was GM Scott's decision. Not Grudens'.

Kindly keep your anti-Gruden agenda out of it, please.

Gruden and his Coach's evaluations affected the draft grades. His stupidity is infused in the decision making process. Even his presser after the pick made you shake your head. This guy is dumb.

That being said, when has a projected Guard or RT gone in the top 5 in modern football history? This is a clear case of a new group of coaches trying to be cute and over-thinking the process. There is a reason why no one ever takes a RT or G in the top 5.

We paid 100,000 bucks for a 60,000 dollar car. It is still a 60k car...we just overpaid for a guy whose draft reel is throwing Indiana DLmen around.

I love Scheriff. Just not at pick 5. It was an over reach and a loss of Draft value. End of story

Wait, who at NFL Network? 

if it's anybody besides Polian or Mayock you are not very smart for writing the above. 

SB Winning Billick. Plus Mayock was saying that the Redskins were very happy that Williams was on the board before our head scratching pick.

I am very smart. Way smarter than you.

Gruden and his Coach's evaluations affected the draft grades. His stupidity is infused in the decision making process. Even his presser after the pick made you shake your head. This guy is dumb.

That being said, when has a projected Guard or RT gone in the top 5 in modern football history? This is a clear case of a new group of coaches trying to be cute and over-thinking the process. There is a reason why no one ever takes a RT or G in the top 5.

We paid 100,000 bucks for a 60,000 dollar car. It is still a 60k car...we just overpaid for a guy whose draft reel is throwing Indiana DLmen around.

I love Scheriff. Just not at pick 5. It was an over reach and a loss of Draft value. End of story

Did you just simply reverse the post you had previously put up in this thread? :rolleyes: LOL

If all you are going to do is go on ridiculous anti-Gruden tirades, no one will listen to you. I don't know if he is going to be a better head coach, but he is not a stupid man.

Did you just simply reverse the post you had previously put up in this thread? :rolleyes: LOL

If all you are going to do is go on ridiculous anti-Gruden tirades, no one will listen to you. I don't know if he is going to be a better head coach, but he is not a stupid man.

No. I did not reverse my position. You need to learn to read. And your position that my realistic Gruden remarks will turn off readers kinda shows that you don't know what youre talking about because I get many likes about my critique of him. You need to relisten to his pressers and see how unprepared the team looked last year. I bet you loved the Shanny hiring? I was on here saying he would be a disaster. And taking a RT top 5 is an extreme loss of Draft value.

I agree Jay Gruden is stupid but I disagree that this was a bad pick.  He would have been gone at 9 to the Giants and they would have been very happy to get him there.  So I don't think it was a lack of teams wanting to trade picks, I just think they knew they'd for sure lose their guy if they traded past 9.

One reason I think that has added to some 'disappointment' is that as Leonard kept falling, the excitement kept building for the fans but ultimately they took a guy that was higher on Scot's board. 

No. I did not reverse my position. You need to learn to read. And your position that my realistic Gruden remarks will turn off readers kinda shows that you don't know what youre talking about because I get many likes about my critique of him. You need to relisten to his pressers and see how unprepared the team looked last year. I bet you loved the Shanny hiring? I was on here saying he would be a disaster. And taking a RT top 5 is an extreme loss of Draft value.

He didn't say what you think he said.

I don't mean to pry, but I think some of you might have more success if you actually try to understand each other's posts before commenting on them (not to single anybody out, just something I've been noticing).

No. I did not reverse my position. You need to learn to read. And your position that my realistic Gruden remarks will turn off readers kinda shows that you don't know what youre talking about because I get many likes about my critique of him. You need to relisten to his pressers and see how unprepared the team looked last year. I bet you loved the Shanny hiring? I was on here saying he would be a disaster. And taking a RT top 5 is an extreme loss of Draft value.

I didn't say you changed your position. I said you looked like you reversed your post (i.e. rearranged the paragraph).

But, whatever. You are just being a ridiculous flame-thrower. I wasn't happy with the #5 pick either, but I'm not going to be childish about it like you.

So if that's what you want, flail away. :)

Archived