Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Geno Way! We got Hawked.

KDawg

Just now, skinzplay said:

Flags were in the air before Forbes celebrated the hit.

I figured the ejection was b/c he taunted, not the penalty.

The penalty was warranted as it was a blow to the head, it just was not "ejection worthy" by itself.

But the optic of guy on the ground holding his head and a defender doing a dance aint doing Forbes any favors w/ NY.

• Like 2

I'm going to throw this point out there,  it's mainly because our D can't stop absolutely anyone. I might get laughed of the forum but here goes. 

Was I the only one that wanted Brown to go down on one yard line, first and goal with about 40 seconds left, score 1st or 2nd down then possibly go for 2 to win. I know it might not have ended with a touchdown but who on here had any doubts that the Seahawks would go down the field to win the game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

The penalty was warranted as it was a blow to the head, it just was not "ejection worthy" by itself.

But the optic of guy on the ground holding his head and a defender doing a dance aint doing Forbes any favors w/ NY.

Weird thing is that it seemed pretty clear that Forbes didn't realize what had happened because he actually wasn't targeting. The Seahawks receiver lowered his head as Forbes lowered his to go after the ball. I don't know how you eject the mid after actually watching the video, especially in slow motion.

11 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Why, actually, is Cheesman still on this team?

Overdrafted player by this coaching staff. He will be ushered off the team with Rivera at the end of the season. 

The clock management is on Rivera, I mean it is like the only thing left he does other than whine to refs about other things

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Commissioner Gordon in the Matt Reeves/Robert Pattinson Batman movie.  Felix Leiter in the Daniel Craig James Bond movies.  I recognize his voice from some of the marvel animated works too.

I’m not a movie guy at all really. This is like me taking about backup guards on NFL rosters to my wife 🙂 

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He didn’t taunt in that he was not even facing let alone standing over the receiver. He was just celebrating the incompletion - which he little to do with by the way, the ball went through Locketts hands before Forbes arrived - though him closing and Lockett anticipating the hit might have contributed to what was really a drop.

He was tossed for the hit. Which was a penalty, but not IMO something which rose to a flagrant hit deserving an ejection.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But the offense is still a mess. Coordinator Eric Bieniemy has his young quarterback playing better than expected, but the Commanders can’t control the time of possession with their pass-heavy aspirations. They finished with just 14 rushes in the game, 12 of them by running backs

This part from the article (not a post by SIP) is nonsense. We ended the game 1 minute less than the Seahawks in TOP. As long as your passing game is efficient - and ours is - a short pass that results in a 7 yard completion tackled in bounds uses exactly as much clock as a running play. Short high percentage throws, often to backs and TEs, are replacing run calls in our offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I'm going to throw this point out there,  it's mainly because our D can't stop absolutely anyone. I might get laughed of the forum but here goes. 

Was I the only one that wanted Brown to go down on one yard line, first and goal with about 40 seconds left, score 1st or 2nd down then possibly go for 2 to win. I know it might not have ended with a touchdown but who on here had any doubts that the Seahawks would go down the field to win the game.

You’re not the only one who was thinking this.  I was hoping we’d score with no time left for the Seahawks to try to march down the field for a GW FG.  I was silently disappointed that we scored with :52 left.  I knew that Seattle had enough time (along with timeouts) to get to FG range and win the game.

34 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I get the logic but na, down 7 you take the TD right away. Can’t risk messing around.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I guess that could be a possibility, except for the fact that the NFL now glorifies taunting and showboating. They went from a league that would penalise a player for flipping a football over the cross bar after a TD to one  that welcomes11 players in the end zone celebrating a turnover. They actually had a rule at one point that two or more players couldn't celebrate a play together. After almost any play now you can find someone making a gesture similar to Forbe's. There is no consistency from the NFL and officiating is terrible.

Edited by Tarpon75
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Crazy thing is, we're currently first in the league in passing attempts, and the only thing keeping us from being last in rushing attempts is the teams below us had their byes already. 

So the prospect of finishing first in passing attempts and last in rushing attempts seems not just a possibility, it seems likely unless Bieniemy gets his head outta his behind on the play distribution.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m telling you… I have this feeling we may be counting Ron’s demise too early. Losses like today make it more likely… but… we’ll see.

If Harris was watching at all, he saw the contrast between and good and bad coach. Carroll was walking the sideline/chewing like a madman/ and TALKING to his players. His aggression clearly transmitted to the field. You could see his players talking trash/getting into faces. Then look at Rivera...standing like a statue/no emotion/disconnected from his players and disengaged from the field(game management)...No aggression whatsoever. Rivera is placid and his team mimics that. He is NOT Tom Landry...no even close.

• Like 3

Just now, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

If Harris was watching at all, he saw the contrast between and good and bad coach. Carroll was walking the sideline/chewing like a madman/ and TALKING to his players. His aggression clearly transmitted to the field. You could see his players talking trash/getting into faces. Then look at Rivera...standing like a statue/no emotion/disconnected from his players and disengaged from the field(game management)...No aggression whatsoever. Rivera is placid and his team mimics that. He is NOT Tom Landry...no even close.

Not arguing.

Regarding the receivers, I have to wonder how much of the problem there has to do with surrounding factors making their job harder.  Not absolving the receivers though (Dotson’s drops especially).

One dimensional offense (no reason to bite on PA)

Generally poor pass pro (can drop more in coverage and can be more aggressive on the shorter routes)

New system (I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Pringle has looked good for us, though a part of that could also be pure vet savvy and experience on broken plays w/ Mahomes)

TEs aren’t a threat (so no extra help needed)

Howell still learning to read defenses, leverages, etc, while also still getting acclimated to the offense (no knock on him, NFL D is more complex, this system has a lot to it, and he’s not getting help from other areas)

Crowder’s new to the team and Brown just isn’t very good

Backs and TEs pretty often having to either stay in to block or chip

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There is absolutely no way Rivera sticks around if we don't make the playoffs.

If we make it, and look good in them(either win or lose a hard fought opening round where Howell just barely gets outdueled by a Goff or Hurts or something)then MAYBE he sticks around. But even that looks unlikely at the moment.

I did not think we could make the playoffs with a 6 and 11 record.

Ron's day-after presser is going to be a ****show. Would like to hear some questions with a little less wiggle room for him.

• In 2021 you said it was important to go for 2 on the road instead of a tie. What changed in your beliefs there? Follow-up, you mentioned the amount of time on the clock. How would the time be different than if you did go for 2? That seems irrelevant here.

• Clock management: The struggles there continue. What specifically have you don't to be better at this that isn't working?

• You played LB in the NFL. Jack played LB in the NFL. 4 years in, your LB group is in rough shape. How does this happen? Follow-up, if you were told after 10 weeks in that your offense would be ahead of your defense after 4 years in this system, would you have believed it?
  • Like 1

When we are talking about clock management for this game, are we talking about the two timeouts on the final drive? Or are we talking about more than that?

I know Sanchez and the other commentator were going nuts about the TOs. I didn’t hate it, I’d prefer they didn’t use them. But with the game on the line, you want to get into the right play/right personnel on 3rd and 10 and 4th and 1.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

When we are talking about clock management for this game, are we talking about the two timeouts on the final drive? Or are we talking about more than that?

I know Sanchez and the other commentator were going nuts about the TOs. I didn’t hate it, I’d prefer they didn’t use them. But with the game on the line, you want to get into the right play/right personnel on 3rd and 10 and 4th and 1.

Partially. Also letting 10 seconds run after the Gibson play instead of calling timeout immediately.

Just now, KDawg said:

Partially. Also letting 10 seconds run after the Gibson play instead of calling timeout immediately.

I think that is at first not realizing that Gibson didn't go out, and then Gibson giving the ball to the sideline instead of running it to the middle. But yeah not ideal, however in hindsight it would have been great to have run more time off the clock.