Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Geno Way! We got Hawked.

KDawg

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Still drawing a blank. Then again I bet he’s never heard of me either.

A couple of his more high profile gigs:

He plays the American CIA ally of James Bond in multiple of the Daniel Craig films. 

Plays one of the main characters in West World. 

If you’re a movie person you’ve definitely seen him, maybe skews more toward character actor than leading man but he’s not obscure. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I've been reading that exact sentence since the early days of Jay Gruden.

And probably even before that.

We seemed to not be good at hiring coaches that have a bit of clue about that.

Joe Gibbs put a hex on the organization when he called two consecutive timeouts and got flagged.

Kirk renewed the curse when he took a knee instead of spiking the ball before halftime.

Only Josh Harris and a new HC can fix it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Sad really, and not 1 100yd rusher this season, I love Howell and his maturity and growth but we don’t even have a running threat to complement Howell

I don't really understand why people cry so much about the lack of running game. Of course it would be great to have a more productive running game but our running game sucks. We were struggeling to get 2 yards/carry in the first half and I honestly do not understand why we should run it more if it doesn't work at all. They are clearly all about giving Howell as much experience as possible. They are not trying to protect him behind an unproductive running game like e.g. the Giants or the Falcons do it with their QBs. Our defense also gets run over by virtually everyone. If we want to stay in games we cannot simply go 3-and-out all the time because we force a running game that does not produce.

Now in some games we have gotten completely away from it very quickly, especially at the beginning of the season. But I feel like these early games have also provided a lot of learning opportunities for Howell and he handles the game so much better today because of it. I don't think he would be where he is today if we had run the ball 40 times per game. This season is all about evaluating everything we have. Next year, we definitely need to do something (invest in the O-line) to improve the running game because you cannot have sustainable success if there is absolutely no running threat (except if you got Mahomes, Burrow, Allen or Herbert). But for now, give the ball to Howell. We ain't going anywhere with this roster and coaching staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For everyone saying there is no way Ron Rivera will be back.

I tend to think you are probably correct. However, that absolute, no way attitude is what we said about Snyder for the last 5 years. He did actually wind up going, but it took a lot longer than we had originally thought.

The “he’s gone” and that’s that comments are what is fueling my irrational fears on this. :ols:

(I still hope there is some place for him in the org. What he did under Snyder was a minor miracle. Just time to go a different route front office and coaching wise. New owner, new start.)

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The Commanders are as they ever were: A team that’s a few plays away

Perspective by Jerry Brewer

EATTLE — When the Washington Commanders began this season with two white-knuckle victories, it felt as if they were developing some close-game magic. Whether it was luck, grit or the jolt of new ownership, they appeared to be a team acquiring valuable experience pulling out victories, no matter how suspect they looked.

Ten weeks into the season, it’s clear those games were as much about the shortcomings of the Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos as they were about the improvement of the Commanders. On Sunday, Washington fell to a 4-6 record with a last-second, 29-26 loss to the Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field. They again played just well enough to expose that they’re not good enough.

The Commanders fought through their defensive mistakes and offensive imbalance. Promising young quarterback Sam Howell led a comeback and tied the game with a touchdown pass to Dyami Brown with 52 seconds remaining. Still, they lost. Their past four games have been decided by a touchdown or less. They have lost three of them, with the lone victory coming last week against the offensively inept New England Patriots.

Since winning its first two games by a combined six points, Washington is 1-4 in its past five games decided by seven points or fewer. In his fourth season, Coach Ron Rivera has done what most functional NFL franchises figure out: He has raised the Commanders’ floor. Their ceiling, however, still isn’t high enough for them to stand up.

The epitaph for this season — and for the past four years — is basically this: Hey, we graduated from train-wreck football. But that has left Washington only as a standard-grade mediocre team.

The Commanders entered Sunday one game out of a wild-card playoff spot, and against a Seahawks team with a struggling quarterback and a defense that hadn’t been able to stop the run the previous three weeks, they had a terrific chance to go on the road and even their record. But hanging around contention isn’t the same as contending. The NFC may present opportunities for Washington to remain mathematically in the playoff picture, but this team isn’t worthy. And if that remains true, Rivera and the football operation he leads won’t be worthy of running the team for new owner Josh Harris.

The Commanders started well Sunday, scoring on their opening drive with a 51-yard touchdown pass from Howell to Brian Robinson Jr., sparking a day in which Washington’s offense thrived by throwing short passes to running backs. Robinson had six receptions for 119 yards. Antonio Gibson finished with five catches for 42 yards and a touchdown. For the game, Howell completed 29 of 44 passes for 312 yards and three touchdowns. He was really good.

But the offense is still a mess. Coordinator Eric Bieniemy has his young quarterback playing better than expected, but the Commanders can’t control the time of possession with their pass-heavy aspirations. They finished with just 14 rushes in the game, 12 of them by running backs. They rushed for just 68 yards, only 51 of which came from running backs. Imbalance can be tolerated, but this performance indicated more of a stubborn indifference to running the ball against an opponent whose run defense had fallen apart.

The Seahawks’ defense had allowed 193.3 rushing yards per game — at a clip of 5.5 yards per carry — and five rushing touchdowns over its three previous games, including Baltimore’s 298-yard rushing performance last week. But Howell dropped back to pass on 17 of the game’s first 21 plays.

That’s fine if an offense is thriving and a defense is capable of operating under the stress of being on the field. But Washington gave up 489 yards to Seattle. Quarterback Geno Smith played his best game in several weeks, throwing for 369 yards and two touchdowns without a turnover. The Seahawks also rushed for 120 yards.

“I think there were a couple of things that were inconsistent as far as opportunities to stop the run and put ourselves in better situations,” Rivera said of the defense.

After Howell tied the game with 52 seconds left, Seattle went 50 yards on seven plays. Smith did most of the damage on two passes to DK Metcalf totaling 44 yards, which put Seattle in range for Jason Myers to win it with a 43-yard field goal as time expired.

The lack of train-wreck football doesn’t mean the Commanders aren’t frustrating. They’re not a weekly embarrassment, not dysfunctional, and there’s little reason to question their most basic priorities anymore. But all that adds up to is a team that continues to win seven or so games, which is about three short of sustained success. The Commanders are a 7-10 program. That’s what they roughly were under Jay Gruden, Rivera’s predecessor, before a collapse in Gruden’s final season that resulted in a 3-13 finish. For the past eight seasons, Washington has mostly been stuck in the same place. The texture of mediocrity changes depending on who’s guiding the team, but the results are disappointingly similar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/12/commanders-seahawks-mediocre/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Let’s lift the clouds a bit. 

This has been a very successful season. We got rid of Snyder and have new ownership. That in itself is a MASSIVE win. The new owner has to show what he’s all about still but you could pick someone at random of any street corner and have a better owner than Dan Snyder - this almost can’t help but be a huge step forwards.

We have found a franchise QB. On a rookie deal. For a 5th round pick. We can focus on building around him not using more and more picks and/or cap space chasing a QB.

We will likely end up with a pick in the low teens. Should be able to get an OT with that pick and start to address the glaring issue on offense.

Need a new GM, HC and coaching staff. Be interesting to see if a new HC retains EB, I’m starting to warm to that to help Sam’s continued development. A bit like Snyder a new DC and defensive staff can’t  help but be better. 

Lots to look forward to.

Agree.  And I am not worried about Ron and this FO surving through next season.  Harris isn't dumb.  it's not just the constant medicority.  But he has an MIT-Harvard dude overseeing things for him right now -- no way he can watch Ron with his vacant stares during the games, dumb comments afterwards and lack of mastery of third grade math as to clock management and say look that dude is the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Thanks for posting that article SIP. Key passage for me:

"The NFC may present opportunities for Washington to remain mathematically in the playoff picture, but this team isn’t worthy. And if that remains true, Rivera and the football operation he leads won’t be worthy of running the team for new owner Josh Harris."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conn said:

I get that you aren’t gonna be talked out of this because the whole point is that it’s a fear you can’t shake—but one more thing I’ll throw into the ring is that the local media is in open rebellion and criticism mode against Rivera. They’re openly talking so much (deserved) **** that they never would have in the past—or at least, in the past they would have couched things much more gently or with conditional statements. Even Keim is getting openly aggravated and catty. I have to think the things they’re hearing aren’t good. 

That and its also obvious the fans are out on Ron.  Harris doesn't want to squander fan momentum.  He just bought a floundering business -- I doubt he doubles down on the vestiges of Dan's regime that might foster more floundering.

Ron looks Zornish on the sidelines this season.  He's not only lost but he looks lost.    It's not just losing-mediocrity round 4.  But Ron has almost nothing on his plate, yet the little he has he bungles.

If they don't make the playoffs, I'd put his chances of surviving at zero.    If he does make the playoffs and wins a game I think he has a fighting shot but still might go -- but right now they aren't on their track. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

For everyone saying there is no way Ron Rivera will be back.

I tend to think you are probably correct. However, that absolute, no way attitude is what we said about Snyder for the last 5 years. He did actually wind up going, but it took a lot longer than we had originally thought.

The “he’s gone” and that’s that comments are what is fueling my irrational fears on this. :ols:

(I still hope there is some place for him in the org. What he did under Snyder was a minor miracle. Just time to go a different route front office and coaching wise. New owner, new start.)

Apples to oranges.  From what I recall more people thought (reporters, too) that Dan wouldn't sell then he would sell.  Dan survived so much and we kept hearing stories that he wanted to hand the team to his son and owners would never vote him out.

Heck I recall some on that owners thread were mad at me at others for saying Dan will be gone within years because we were "naive" and peddilng false hope.

With Ron, just everyone covering the team believes he's a goner.   The upset for Ron would be surviving this.  I'd get it if they were winning.  But I think you and I have a better shot coaching this team next year if Ron peaks at 8-9 or whatever this ends up being if they don't make the playoffs.

Again going back to the MIT-Harvard guy looking at Ron and at this roster.  Can you imagine all their thoughts?  I mentioned some in another thread.  How about -- you what spent 5 out of 7 of your top 2 picks on defense and all that cap room on that spot.  That's questionable already.  And that unit sucks, too.  Lets go over FA and this recent draft class, and study how well this looks.  On and on and on.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Apples to oranges.  From what I recall more people thought (reporters, too) that Dan wouldn't sell then he would sell.  Dan survived so much and we kept hearing stories that he wanted to hand the team to his son and owners would never vote him out.

Heck I recall some on that owners thread were mad at me at others for saying Dan will be gone within years because we were "naive" and peddilng false hope.

With Ron, just everyone covering the team believes he's a goner.   The upset for Ron would be surviving this.  I'd get it if they were winning.  But I think you and I have a better shot coaching this team next year if Ron peaks at 8-9 or whatever this ends up being if they don't make the playoffs.

You all keep trying to make my irrational fears go away. But they are irrational for a reason. 

They won’t go away until I visually see the change. 

• Like 2

The game turned out as a best case scenario.  Sam played great and the team lost a meaningless game in a lost season to give the new group more draft capital.  

It all starts with Sam Howell. He is showing much better pocket presence, he is doing the one thing I was concerned he didn't have the feel for moving in the pocket to buy time.  He also showed he has "It" with that final drive.  He has shown, as we had assumed he would, that with a clean pocket he can do damage.  The tying TD pass was an example of that, he dropped it in there perfectly.

I have no idea why anyone would even entertain the thought that RR would be back. He isn't being evaluated on this season, he is being evaluated on all 4 seasons and the results speak for themselves.

Entering the season I had no thoughts what so ever that the WR group needed an upgrade. WTF happened??????

The loss of the 2 DEs did have an impact. I know I know QBs have had a clean pocket most of the year. But there was very little pressure from the outside. I was glad to see the injury to Smith-Williams was not more serious.  

For a while it looked like Cheesehead had worked out his problems.  Again WTF???

They should have signed Bobby Wagner 2 years ago when many of us wanted them to do this.

Not sure I understand the criticism with regard to the game clock in the final 4 minutes. If they had used timeouts that meant Seattle would have had even more time.  At the time of the tying TD pass they were at the 35 with a minute left and a timeout. They were in fine shape regarding the game clock.

Throwing out Forbes for that hit was unbelievably bad. I have no idea what NFL officials are doing today.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Throwing out Forbes for that hit was unbelievably bad. I have no idea what NFL officials are doing today.

How New York can toss Forbes for that hit, yet not toss Kyzir White for unambiguous targeting and launching on what was also a late hit, is beyond comprehension. They watch replays. So what are they watching?

• Like 2

Just now, skinzplay said:

How New York can toss Forbes for that hit, yet not toss Kyzir White for unambiguous targeting and launching on what was also a late hit, is beyond comprehension. They watch replays. So what are they watching?

The NFL won't say it, but I am fairly confident it was because he got up and taunted.

The hit was nowhere near ejection worthy, but celebrating a blatant hit to the head is a bad look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1