Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Geno Way! We got Hawked.

KDawg

I don’t want EB sticking around. Just clean house.

In terms of the game, predictable in that Howell looks a real competitor and you feel like we’re getting back into it late. Oh yeah, but then our D will fall apart in one area and kill us off.

I think by and large as a team we are what most could have guessed many months ago.

As an aside, our WRs are pissing me off as a collective group. Very underwhelmed.

• Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, illone said:

I keep thinking the defense is going to improve later in the year like they did the past two seasons.

However, last year by this time the defense was playing much better than they are right now, so...

Still waiting... 😐

Unless there is a big change of coaching philosophy and play calling I dont see whats going to change.

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Unless there is a big change of coaching philosophy and play calling I dont see whats going to change.

Our opponents are only getting more difficult and I believe our end season defensive heroics are going to be shot down by that. We will see I guess.  

4 hours ago, profusion said:

I figured the Seahawks would win by more than they actually did. Their offense was mostly inept.

What reality do you exist in where an offensive performance that generates 29 points almost 500 yards is considered "mostly inept"?

The defense only kept it close early by forcing field goals near the red zone. Otherwise, Geno Smith and the Seahawks, who had been averaging only 15 points a game over the last month, did whatever they wanted against our pathetic D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

High draft selection. Wylie as depth vs. starter. Improvement at LG, likely in the form of FA or draft choice.

How about moving Andrew Wylie to LG? He came into the league as a guard and played there for one season in KC IIRC - and his contract mens he's hard to cut for another year or so.

You could do a lot worse than an interior of Wylie - Stromberg - Cosmi.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Did Bates let one pass sail right through his hands in the first half?  Thought that Bates missed a big tackle on a long run? was listen to most of first half on radio while driving.

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

What reality do you exist in where an offensive performance that generates 29 points almost 500 yards is considered "mostly inept"?

The defense only kept it close early by forcing field goals near the red zone. Otherwise, Geno Smith and the Seahawks, who had been averaging only 15 points a game over the last month, did whatever they wanted against our pathetic D.

I think he meant that they looked inept and awful yet still carved our D up with ease.  They had multiple false starts, holding penalties and Geno missed some gimmies, yet they still had 500 yards and 29 points in a win.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I’m not even sure there are schematic answers for some of the stuff I’ve been seeing of late.  The defense just looks severely outmatched, and at times loafing.

Perhaps there is something that can be done to get more out of them, but I’m at a loss for how.

That’s not an endorsement for Del Rio, he could have been fired long ago and I’d be fine with it.  I just don’t know what you do with no pass rush, slow, plodding linebackers and a secondary that is much better at celebrating than they are making plays worthy of celebrating.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

I usually hate on folks being armchair GMs but good lord our defensive problems fall squarely on the coach.   We just got draft picks for 2 of our better players and nothing changed without them.  It didn't get worse or better, we simply let teams move the ball especially at the end of halves.  I know defense is hard these days but most points allowed is unacceptable and certainly worthy of a mid season firing.

I can only assume we're playing the rare  "new owner will gut it in the offseason" game but man that's gotta be tough on the players.  I think most of these players are keepers, hopefully it's not too ugly the rest of this season and Sam stays healthy because he is for real.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

We are not making the playoffs. This defense does not give us any shot at that.

Some of the spacing and route combos are weird though. I do think some of that could use some tweaking, especially against man.

Maybe but we're not in the rooms to know if they're running the right routes. Like the deep ball to Dotson last week had Terry right next to him and everyone was saying Terry ran the wrong route. 

We have to remember that this is year 1 in EBs system which I guess is complicated because it is precision based. For all we know it could have a lot of running to it too but he couldn't install it this year because he chose to focus on Sam. I doubt that based on Andy, but we have seen good backs in Andy's system though. 

What I saw Sunday is what I want the most from Sam and EB. It's not pressing, just dinking and dunking, because this offense is so explosive with weapons so over. BRob is a pass catcher. So is Gibson. Then when they try to take them away go back to Terry and Dotson. Or Brown or Thomas. That's what EB did yesterday.

It's chess. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm all in on Howell.  

And while I know the two running backs had good games receiving yesterday, I'm more than comfortable with EB having Howell throw it 75% of the time or whatever the percentage is. I've got no interest in watching butterfingers Gibson and the non-homerun threat Robinson try to run it.  We've finally got a QB that can sling it, let him rip.  

Fix the O-line this offseason in a big way, give him protection and get some linebackers and I think we can be okay.

I also like the guy but our approach has been really unbalanced. I don't know if such a pass-heavy offense is sustainable even for a full season.

We're still one of the worst teams rushing in the NFL (26th overall) and our longest run of the season is a measly 29 yards.

Even a very old and bruised AP produced better rushing numbers around here not too long ago.

And the sacks allowed, as you know, have also been a problem.

The even more incompetent Giants are dead last in the League at 54. Guess who's second worst at 47?

They HAVE to do something with Mayo..he is terrible in space. He's ok close to the line filling gaps but can't cover AT ALL! He's 5 yards off consistently and trailing. I don't know who is the "backup" or who can be brought up from the practice squad but you can't leave him out there like they have. The Hawks picked on him all day long and he was constantly burned....

Is there another option here???

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

They HAVE to do something with Mayo..he is terrible in space. He's ok close to the line filling gaps but can't cover AT ALL! He's 5 yards off consistently and trailing. I don't know who is the "backup" or who can be brought up from the practice squad but you can't leave him out there like they have. The Hawks picked on him all day long and he was constantly burned....

The guy we brought over from Dallas?  🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  Especially following Darth Vadar (Dan) here.    Also who are you going to attract in August a month before the season?  It would have to be some retread out of the league because no respected upcoming GM or HC is bailing on their current job a month before the season.

Harris IMO is doing it the right way.

If we want a GM, an in demand GM to take over this team and hire the HC -- you got to do this the patient and right way.

I think it was Keim who said this (but i am not 100% sure, maybe it was someone else), other potential HCs-GMs will pay attention to early Harris' actions and you want to come off like a dude who isn't high strung-rash.  You want to come off like someone who is good to work with.

So while I understand the anger at Ron and his coaching staff, its better to let this play out for most of the season.  Canning him with 2-3 weeks to go is fine but who would you replace him with?

A.  Best shot at a clean break from Ron and this regime where there is less of a chance of a spin off 

B.  Makes Harris look more appetizing to figure GMs and HCs.

C.  Most importantly IMO, it gives you the best shot to do this like a real winning team does it.  Hiring a top GM and let them control the process

I mean that sounds good but whatever guy Harris brings in here will have to make some decisions and rather quickly. 

A. What to do with current staff and players, including EB

B. An extensive evaluation of the roster. Will this be dependent on the coach or will he be above (I'm assuming he's above, but if we want our players to be good in particular systems then ...)

C. So does this mean that

C i) Harris likes Sam and hires a GM to build around him with that in mind

C ii) with that, they are looking at coaches that they think have a system that works for Sam and for this NFL. 

C III) we know that EB and Ben Johnson are hot names but been may want to go somewhere else like LA. 

D or could of mean that

D I) Harris doesn't like Sam and gives the GM authority to trade up in the draft

D ii) with that they hire a new coach and initiate a full rebuild. Lots of fun. 

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

I also like the guy but our approach has been really unbalanced. I don't know if such a pass-heavy offense is sustainable even for a full season.

We're still one of the worst teams rushing in the NFL (26th overall) and our longest run of the season is a measly 29 yards.

Even a very old and bruised AP produced better rushing numbers around here not too long ago.

And the sacks allowed, as you know, have also been a problem.

The even more incompetent Giants are dead last in the League at 54. Guess who's second worst at 47?

Yes. 3 weeks ago we had 40. So… it’s much better than it has been and much less of a. Issue. 

Bienemy changed the gameplan and the offense looks better. Quick hitters.

The line can’t run block or pass pro for longer developing plays, so… if we want to avoid sacks this is our offense.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

They elevated Jabril Cox from the practice squad. He’s been playing teams I think.

Coming out of College his strength was coverage, he was weaker against the run. Struggled a bit with recognition and gets caugh5 on blocks. I’d give him a look though.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yes. 3 weeks ago we had 40. So… it’s much better than it has been and much less of a. Issue. 

Bienemy changed the gameplan and the offense looks better. Quick hitters.

The line can’t run block or pass pro for longer developing plays, so… if we want to avoid sacks this is our offense.

I'm not saying our offense is bad, it's just unbalanced.

It's becoming clear it's unsustainable for a complete season, let alone more than one.

Huh, Pete Carroll outright stating that putting together a few effective runs and sticking with it for just one drive made our offense less predictable and more difficult to defend and account for the remainder of the game.

But some will just keep posting that short passes replace the running game, entirely missing the point. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2