Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

Thanks for the reminder on why I should avoid this board after a loss. There are 15 other NFL fanbases also taking an L and feeling bad. Week 1 is not an indictment of an entire season, even if there are clearly things the team needs to fix. 

Step off the ledge everyone. Go take a walk outside. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Exactly. Nobody really expected Herbert to look like this. I'm comfortable with the pick we made, but to say in retrospect we should've picked Herbert is a no-brainer to me. Not even controversial. 

Again, no pocket passer would be good with our oline. He mightve been average with us, but no chance he'd have as much time to throw as he does with the chargers

Top tier elite DL was the right call even in retrospect

• Thanks 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

What bothers me is that RR declared Fitz the starter even though it's clear to all of us that TH brings so much more to the table. TH could've won us this game today but shame on the defense, they got their asses handed to them on every 3rd down.

As a dude who watched some of the camp practices, I get why Heinicke didn’t win the job. Even Heinicke himself said he needs to improve his accuracy.

But as I said then maybe Heinicke is more of a game day QB then a shine in practice kind of dude.

Will see though. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Really surprised to see that a JDR defense looked like a Joe Barry defense.  May see a lot of that this year with the QBs on the schedule.  

Blache. Lewis... RR punts there yay 30 yard net after milking the clock on ourselves.  Putting the onus on the D to win the game for us, not the offense.

So we come out in zone on 3rd and longs. So ****ing lame when the D needed to be aggressive and get a stop. RR assumed our D would see old school playcalling aka milk the clock play it safe and run a screen or draw.  Chargers have a modern day play caller so it failed. I am not really happy with Turner. I like getting all WRs action early not force it in the 2nd half to make up for it.    

• Like 1

There was very little positive about this game.

Montez Sweat and Payne were the only two DL to really do much of anything. William Bradley-King or James Smith-Williams (whichever one it was... I get confused with them) had a better day than Young. 

Gibson is excellent but he is NOT a guy meant to touch the ball 25-30x/game.

McLaurin didn't get the ball enough.

Heinicke played well all things considered.

Lack of creativity from playcalling on both sides.

DeAndre Carter was solid.

Just a bad showing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Very frustrating indeed, given that we had such strong momentum into the 4th. LBs still giving up chunk yards to TEs. Inconsistent pressure despite our strong front four. And Gibson's fumble, much as I love him, really took the wind out of the sails. And, as ever, weird clock management.

But, the Chargers are a very good team. With Fitz's injury, the rest of the first half was about adjusting to TH in there. And while I know we're all snakebit, it's the first freaking game.

Hail WFT!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

What bothers me is that RR declared Fitz the starter even though it's clear to all of us that TH brings so much more to the table. TH could've won us this game today but shame on the defense, they got their asses handed to them on every 3rd down.

Eh, I'm not really going to speculate on the competition.

I agree that Heinicke looked good and provided a spark with his mobility, but I also think we should probably pump the brakes and take a wait-and-see approach as far as his long term potential as "the guy".

Remember that this game was much like the Tampa game, in that the opposing team had done basically zero game planning for Heinicke. The opposing team game-planned that time for Smith who isn't mobile and this time for Fitz, who also isn't very mobile.

I liked what I saw from Heinicke, but I'm going to wait and see what happens when he plays teams who have game planned for him before I anoint him.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The quicker Scott accepts that Gibson isn’t CmC the better we can put together a gameplan suitable for the pieces we have. Right now he’s trying to force Gibson into being the sole focal point.

Turner is a jackass, just like his old man.  The sooner he's gone, the better.  I've seen enough--dude is clueless--has zero idea how to maximize the talent we have...neither does Del Rio btw.  Game moves forward, and we move background--same old **** for three decades.

2 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I don’t blame anyone honestly at this point. If I was a young fan I wouldn’t have anything to do with franchise.  If I had kids I’d tell them they are my team but I wouldn’t push them to this.  I’ve honestly wanted to quit multiple times.  I don’t remember any glory days.  I was a kid when cowboys were a 90s dynasty so all I got was made fun of at schools wearing my Terry Allen and Brian Mitchell jerseys. If this franchise died and got replaced I’m not sure I’d be that upset at this point. 

I don’t blame anyone for giving up on this team. It’s when you simultaneously become a chiefs fan that I have a problem.

If I heard correctly at one point when Bulaga went out the Chargers had no offensive lineman in the game who was on the team last year.  Obviously that doesn't mean they are chumps but its not like that O-line is full of stars who have played together much at all.  Seems like a D-Line made up of players that are as touted this one was could muster a better performance.  I get Herbert is a young stud but you have to come away very disappointed at what the supposedly best position group on the team did today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dyst said:

I hope so. The real fans know this team isn’t that good and we are still years away.

I don't think the team is years away if they get a very good to great QB that's not a rookie.  If they get that QB in next year's draft, I would agree that the team would be 2 or three years away.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

There was very little positive about this game.

Montez Sweat and Payne were the only two DL to really do much of anything. William Bradley-King or James Smith-Williams (whichever one it was... I get confused with them) had a better day than Young. 

Gibson is excellent but he is NOT a guy meant to touch the ball 25-30x/game.

McLaurin didn't get the ball enough.

Heinicke played well all things considered.

Lack of creativity from playcalling on both sides.

DeAndre Carter was solid.

Just a bad showing. 

Smith-Williams. Bradley-King is on the practice squad. 

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

On the flip side, Chargers might be a really good team too...

This is where I'm at.  My neighbor whose a chargers fan was saying even before the season started that they were a deep playoff team.  Time will tell but with those weapons, that QB and their defense, its hard to argue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I do and I don't understand this logic.

If we're not that good, then that sucks.  Like, the goal is not to be able to beat some or most of the teams; we want to beat ALL of the teams.  There is one winner at the end of the season and 31 losers.

Being second-best just means you have the second-worst pick.

We aren’t that good. But I’m happy with a 9-7 team for this year. We sort of need something to happen at QB and the O-Line. I hope that hinike can grow into that job but if he had a whole off season and they still decided to role with a traveler at QB… well, IDK about that

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

On the flip side, Chargers might be a really good team too...

Yeah its not completely unreasonable to think that maybe we're a decent team that just ran into what will turn into a really good team.

But Week 1 in general can be kinda weird and fluky. Look at results around the league:

The Steelers won in Buffalo, scoring 20 in a row after falling behind by 10.

The Cardinals went into Tennessee and blew out the AFC South favorite Titans.

The Vikings and Bengals might end up tying.

It'll be interesting to see how we play vs. the Giants. I expect the D to be much better against a significantly worse QB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

When you compare the Chargers OC creatively getting the ball to Allen, who's already an elite route runner, with formations and motions; to our OC not getting McClaurin a target in the first half, you see our biggest problem.

The biggest issue with this team.

Foster is God awful.