Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Morgan has been a solid Skin. I’m a little surprised by this, but have seen all the reasons I shouldn’t really be, in the thread.  Standig thought it was Scherff that would get traded but alas it’s Moses. Maybe Scherff is next? Exiting early on a player is usually the right move and we never seemed to do it. So, I’m ok with it, given the oodles of OL currently on the roster.

Interesting and happy to see it’s Allen who is first up on the extensions. If your selling culture, you are hard pressed to find better that Allen. I figured he’d get done, but happy to actually see talk of it. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

Seems a year early to me.  Would like to see another source.

:229:The Rook

thought he was an FA after this one, see I'm wrong

So,  I guess this gives Geron Christian an outside shot of making the team, but I think that David Sharpe might beat him as out fourth tackle.  I'm still thinking of Charles as a guard.  Then again he could be a swing guy

Edited by carex

I’m not surprised at this news. I didn’t think they’d do it just for continuity but Moses was going to become an issue monetarily moving forward.

Cosmi starting at RT makes sense for now as well.

The other option is Charles at RT, Cosmi/Leno at LT. Flowers/Scherff at guards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

better a year early than a year too late.... as has been the case in the past

I think if Moses were to play out his contract, he would get a decent sized contract on the FA market, enough to net a 3rd or 4th rounder.   I doubt we get that kind of return this offseason in a trade.   

• Like 1

I'm a little surprised about Moses. I gave him a hard time a few years ago (mainly about false starts) but have been impressed by him in recent years. He's played through pain (knees/ankles?) and did well when asked to play on the left side.

First Kerrigan and now Moses, times are a-changin'.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Feels like holes all over that OL.  After this season, only Charles, Cosmi, Flowers, Schweitzer, Rouiller, Martin and Ismael are under contract.  That doesn't seem ideal.  Charles really needs to be good.  I could potentially see a OL of Cosmi, Flowers, Rouiller, Schweitzer, Charles.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Obviously, Leno and Lucas cold come back, they could sign draft people anything can happen between now and then, I'm just sayin'. 

Yeah, the OL has some question marks. But Moses just bought them some time to figure out RT, but he had cap casualty written all over him. Only reason I and others didn't jump on that is because he was seen as a locker room guy and a veteran to keep around "on the cheap" ... but that's the only thing that really changes here.

Roullier, Cosmi, Charles and Ismael are here for 3+ more years

Flowers and Schweizer are here for 2 more years

Leno, Scherff, Lucas and Christian are here for 1 more year.

You're going to have to figure out one of the Tackle spots and one of the Guard spots next year.

Unless we trade away our draft class for a QB (very possible, at least the 1st and 2nd) ... we'll have a decent chunk of picks and $67m or so to figure those out. And I'm sure that will be a priority for them.

Best case scenario?

Charles beats out Leno or at the very least shows this staff he can and will start in 2022 and beyond at LT. Then you let Flowers and Schweizer battle it out for LG. When Scherff walks next year, kick Schweizer to RG and draft a replacement to groom. In 2023, when Flowers walks (if you don't extend him, worry about LG in free agency or a high draft pick).

Charles - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Cosmi

Charles - Flowers - Roullier - Schweizer - Cosmi

Those are your best-case starting lineups in 2021 and 2022 with who is currently on the roster.

I suppose if Leno wins LT in 2021 (he will I'm sure), then you kick Cosmi to LT in 2022 and let Charles develop at RT or RG.

So many different angles and really the thing that will create the most answers is where Charles fits in long term.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

The value of one more year of Moses, even if he leaves as a free agent after the season, is much higher than the late round draft pick we're projected to get for him.

That's why I suspect this is more about finding the cap room to extend Allen and possibly a few other young core players than anything else.

If so, I'm all for it.

• Like 4

(Assuming Cosmi and Charles are our best possible the LT and RT options) My only concern here is loss of veteran presence now on both ends of the O-line. Easier for 1 to gel with 4 than it is for 2 to gel with 3. Luckily each OT will have a veteran guard beside them and a vet QB who can adjust calls at the line. Hope they each bust their asses and impress for some starting time. I imagine the addition of Leno may have given some of the young ones some doubt, but this move may show that coaches are OK with moving on from the status quo.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised by this at all. Though I'd prefer to keep Moses for continuity, he's not a Rivera guy (in terms of team rebuilding) and represents an opportunity to either get compensation or cap space.

I like Moses and thought his play last year was much better than under the previous regime.  However, we have a surplus of OL who I think can replace him and his salary this season. 

Also, if that frees up space to sign Allen to a well deserved extension, then let it be done.

Hope the best for him, but the truth is, we've been needing an upgrade at RT for awhile.

HTTR!

Unnecessary risk. Before this off-season we had very questionable LT situation. We brought in a rookie and a one year deal vet. 

Now we also take away our solid starting RT...when it's still early off-season. If rookie is not ready or 1 guy gets injured your depth is totally gone. There is no reason to make this move now. 

• Like 6

Russell talking on air in the mix of things about Moses retirement talk might be part of the soup.  That was a variable I wondered about it.  I doubt its an overriding issue but i could see it might being a small part of it as for looking at Moses as part of future plans.  

19 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

The value of one more year of Moses, even if he leaves as a free agent after the season, is much higher than the late round draft pick we're projected to get for him.

That's why I suspect this is more about finding the cap room to extend Allen and possibly a few other young core players than anything else.

If so, I'm all for it.

Agree, cap room seems to be a big part of it.  Heck reading Keim's exchanges with fans, it gives me the vibe that we should brace ourselves that the end game is likely a Moses release and we'd be lucky to get a late round draft pick.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I think most of the OL projections are wrong. LT Cosmi, LG Charles for 5 plays then IRed for Schweitzer, C Roullier, RG Scherff, RT Flowers.

I like to sprinkle crushed glass on my spaghetti. The tomato sauce always tastes richer that way.

If we are planning on Flowers at T we are completely screwed. He was a horrid T in NY. Not just bad. But legendarily bad.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

If so, I'm all for it.

This is where I’m at as well, but I’d add that the behind the scenes stuff is almost certainly a factor.  I will say that Moses’ value is at it’s highest right now, so I appreciate the move from that respect.  Oh, and Moses has 2 more years on his deal.

Maybe we recoup the 2022 5th rounder we traded?

So Leno at LT, Cosmi at RT, and Lucas or Christian as the swing tackle?

1 minute ago, carex said:

Everyone assuming Cosmi or Charles at RT, when people didn't even think we needed an upgrade with Lucas

I for one thought we needed to upgrade from Lucas, but I didn’t see it as a desperate need (compared with other spots).

• Like 2

Lucas was brought it to play RT ... they threw him to LT role last year because there were no other options.. and luckily he played ok.

Looks like they want Leno at LT, Lucas at RT and Cosmi as swing backup.

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Lucas was brought it to play RT ... they threw him to LT role last year because there were no other options.. and luckily he played ok.

Looks like they want Leno at LT, Lucas at RT and Cosmi as swing backup.

Reading Keim's tweets feels like its more likely its Cosmi at RT with Lucas being the swing tackle.  But I guess will see.  Lucas said last year that he's more comfortable on the left even though ironically he's played more on the right. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Really glad we arent looking to re-up with him.  He's a decent player and most of his value exists because he plays full seasons.  We need to aim higher though. 

Also, he drove me completely nuts on his weekly radio segment with the Junkies.  He seemed absolutely clueless and unaware of the fact he played for a garbage franchises, with a garbage roster, garbage coach, and garbage front office/owner.

Man we've come a long way in a short period of time.

• Like 1

Moses had a great season, I fully expected regression from him in some form for the 2021 season. This is what good franchises do, they anticipate spikes and declines in production before they arrive, they rotate players, get younger, and sign their premier guys. Does anyone get the feeling we have some kind of plan next year at QB? I know we have to re-sign our guys but as of right now we have a ton of cap space next year. We are going to have a ton of roster turnover next year also, it looks like. 

I'm really hoping we can acquire a draft pick for Moses, be kind of ****ty not to. 

My opinion is it will be Leno at LT, and Lucas at RT with Cosmi learning the ropes from them and he will start when he's ready. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3