Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I like Moses more than most.  But one of my things about him is that he talked recently that he considered retiring before last season.   If I recall he has no guaranteed money left in his contract so they can get value now before he hangs it up. 

Trent on the other hand is talking about playing until he's 40.  Moses on the other hand talked about considering retiring when he was 29.  So you wonder how committed is he going forward?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It’d be nice if we could get some trade capital for Moses. We have a **** load of depth anyways and he’d conceivably be more attractive trade bait than any of those guys. 

I’m guessing we could get a 4th at best but most likely end up with a 6th or 7th since he might get cut anyways. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:
The Washington Football Team is likely moving on from long-time starting OT Morgan Moses, sources say, giving Moses the ability to seek a trade. Moses is due $7.75M in 2021 and if a team trades for the dependable player, it picks up the salary.

I thought something was weird about that Leno signing.  They were looking at keeping 10 OL before this happened, or cutting somebody I didn't think they'd want to cut.  This kind of explains everything.  Except, both Leno and Lucas are FAs at the end of the year.  So they could potentially be looking at only one tackle under contract at the end of the season. That seems sub-optimal.  They have Moses locked up for 2 more.

Edited by justice98

Always liked Moses. He played hurt a lot. Gutted it out. I am guessing that is what makes him expendable now. They must be concerned he cannot paly all 17. 

Too bad but it makes perfect sense. Hope he finds a good place to land. 

Edit - It's a $7.7 cap reduction. Has to help with the Jonathan Allen contract. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure who out there is in the market/need for a solid starting RT after the draft and free agency, to the point they'd be willing to give up much in the way of draft picks.

My guess is a no more than a 5th?

Maybe player for player?

Who might need a right tackle and have a mike linebacker we could use?

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Moses more than most.  But one of my things about him is that he talked recently that he considered retiring before last season.   If I recall he has no guaranteed money left in his contract so they can get value now before he hangs it up. 

Trent on the other hand is talking about playing until he's 40.  Moses on the other hand talked about considering retiring when he was 29.  So you wonder how committed is he going forward?

Honestly, I woulda felt more comfortable with Lucas and Moses, than Leno and Lucas or whatever combo they use at the tackles.  If there were big cap savings, maybe I'd be with it more.  But they've got Moses at 7.75M for 2 more years and Leno is costing 5M.  To me, Moses is solid enough at that price to keep him and a guy you can pencil in for 16 every single year.  Two years from now, if you wanna move on from him and let him walk, so be it.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Honestly, I woulda felt more comfortable with Lucas and Moses, than Leno and Lucas or whatever combo they use at the tackles.  If there were big cap savings, maybe I'd be with it more.  But they've got Moses at 7.75M for 2 more years.  To me, he's solid enough at that price to keep him and a guy you can pencil in for 16 every single year. 

Have to play it out but it could be Cosmi or Charles at RT.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Honestly, I woulda felt more comfortable with Lucas and Moses, than Leno and Lucas or whatever combo they use at the tackles.  If there were big cap savings, maybe I'd be with it more.  But they've got Moses at 7.75M for 2 more years.  To me, he's solid enough at that price to keep him and a guy you can pencil in for 16 every single year. 

Agreed. But this could simply be fit/culture/natural roster turnover.

Cutting/trading Moses right now gets the team to $20.7m in cap space in 2021 and $55.4m in 2022, per OvertheCap.

Since I think the McCain deal is the last major signing of any kind, I have to think we end up rolling at least $12m into 2022 cap ... giving us around $67m when all is said and done next year.

If we are willing to cut Moses, I'm pretty surprised in hindsight about the franchise-tag for Scherff. Gotta assume it's to preserve some continuity on the OL, but also speaks volumes for where Scherff will be in 2022 (Hint: Not WFT), although that was already quite clear)

• Like 3

Personally never been a fan of Moses, said that on here before. However, his play did seem to improve and its a fairly surprising move at this stage, to me anyway. That said, it’ll be influenced by the cap situation as well. 

Like the move or not, as least we seem to have a plan.

In terms of cap analysis, this likely creates an OT hole in 2022. I think most of us assume Leno starts at LT and Cosmi kicks to RT. Unless Charles is slated to start at LT or RT longterm (beat guys think he's a Guard), We'll be looking to kick Cosmi to LT in 2022 OR ... possibly looking to get a long-term LT if Cosmi sticks/excels at RT.

Leno and Lucas are on the final year of their deals and will be FA's going into 2022 unless they're extended. So that leaves Cosmi as your only long-term solution at either Tackle spot beyond 2021, unless Charles is still slated to start there eventually.

So you enter 2022 off-season with really 2 glaring holes some some TBDs.

QB: Massive hole, unless Fitz just absolutely balls out and you feel like you can roll with him again

LT or RT: likely a big hole unless Leno excels and is extended, or Charles excels and starts at LT or RT and pairs with Cosmi longterm

RG: likely a big hole with Scherff gone

TE: Depends on Bates/Reyes, but likely a hole even if you extend Logan Thomas

MIKE LB: probably depends on where Davis slots in, but need to upgrade Bostic at some point.

Seems like an Allen extension is imminent ... and not sure where to peg down that number this and/or next year in terms of the cap hit ... you're still pretty well positioned with what ... $67m in cap space, a full slate of draft picks, and maybe 2-3 holes to fill?

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

should be a high price return..... above average starting RT, relatively cheap

Denver seems to be a fit. Not sure if they have the cap space but he would fill a need. 

With 2 years on his contract and showing last year he could play LT in a emergency, I’m thinking a 2nd and 5th.

I think most of the OL projections are wrong. LT Cosmi, LG Charles for 5 plays then IRed for Schweitzer, C Roullier, RG Scherff, RT Flowers.

I like to sprinkle crushed glass on my spaghetti. The tomato sauce always tastes richer that way.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

Didn't realize Leno was as small as he is listed on the site (6'3 - 307). Is that true? I would think tackles range in the 6'5; 315+ range.

Just found this videos that speaks to his size as it relates to the bull rush. Kinda figured he'd be susceptible to that.

I'm wondering if they would be open to moving him inside next to his 6'7 - 327lb ex-teammate? I think Cornelius did fine last year. To me, our left guard position has been a position of weakness for a while - not left tackle. I mean, finding a Trent Williams is not easy. 

Trent is only 0.75" taller and Leno has the slight edge in arm length. 

I've been one to cite height as a requirement, but this is one year we're talking about.

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In terms of cap analysis, this likely creates an OT hole in 2022. I think most of us assume Leno starts at LT and Cosmi kicks to RT. Unless Charles is slated to start at LT or RT longterm (beat guys think he's a Guard), We'll be looking to kick Cosmi to LT in 2022 OR ... possibly looking to get a long-term LT if Cosmi sticks/excels at RT.

Leno and Lucas are on the final year of their deals and will be FA's going into 2022 unless they're extended. So that leaves Cosmi as your only long-term solution at either Tackle spot beyond 2021, unless Charles is still slated to start there eventually.

So you enter 2022 off-season with really 2 glaring holes some some TBDs.

QB: Massive hole, unless Fitz just absolutely balls out and you feel like you can roll with him again

LT or RT: likely a big hole unless Leno excels and is extended, or Charles excels and starts at LT or RT and pairs with Cosmi longterm

RG: likely a big hole with Scherff gone

TE: Depends on Bates/Reyes, but likely a hole even if you extend Logan Thomas

MIKE LB: probably depends on where Davis slots in, but need to upgrade Bostic at some point.

Seems like an Allen extension is imminent ... and not sure where to peg down that number this and/or next year in terms of the cap hit ... you're still pretty well positioned with what ... $67m in cap space, a full slate of draft picks, and maybe 2-3 holes to fill?

Feels like holes all over that OL.  After this season, only Charles, Cosmi, Flowers, Schweitzer, Rouiller, Martin and Ismael are under contract.  That doesn't seem ideal.  Charles really needs to be good.  I could potentially see a OL of Cosmi, Flowers, Rouiller, Schweitzer, Charles in 2022.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Obviously, Leno and Lucas could come back, they could sign, draft people, anything can happen between now and then, I'm just sayin'. 

Edited by justice98