Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

There is no point to cut Moses now... his salary is not guaranteed until first day of season. Best plan IMO is to squat on him until another team loses a tackle to inj during OTAs/ Preseason. They can always cut him prior to day one.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Moses came back and had a solid year in 2020 after shaky seasons in 2018 and 2019.  He's a good dude but replaceable.  I wish him luck wherever he goes but we'll be fine without him.

This is where I'm at.  Appreciate what Moses did for the team over the years but confident that we will be fine moving forward given how he played throughout his career.  It's weird seeing some of these guys who have been staples of the team, like Kerrigan and Moses, moving on but trusting your position coaches to develop young talent while they are on their rookie deals will be key to building a roster that can legitimately contend.  Would love to see both Cosmi and Charles step up and become our bookend LT and RT respectively in 2022 and beyond.  As for this season, we have enough depth and in-house options to get by.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Yeah, he has, which is why he's here playing guard.

That was the joke.

28 minutes ago, oraphus said:

There is no point to cut Moses now... his salary is not guaranteed until first day of season. Best plan IMO is to squat on him until another team loses a tackle to inj during OTAs/ Preseason. They can always cut him prior to day one.

He just won't show then. If it's about guaranteed money then there's no way he risks injury now.

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Ah yes my bad, brain fart Opposite Day. 
you can roll with surfeit, I think I’ll go with Oodles. Lol.

You had Oodles of Noodles for lunch, dintcha?

Who else here now wants a bowl of chewy noodles in a brown, salty, MSG broth?

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That was the joke.

We're not far enough into changing WFT culture that you can actually say that and people realize it's a joke.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

You had Oodles of Noodles for lunch, dintcha?

Who else here now wants a bowl of chewy noodles in a brown, salty, MSG broth?

We're not far enough into changing WFT culture that you can actually say that and people realize it's a joke.

The WFT culture has been nothing but stellar. It was the Redskins culture that sucked ass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's no chance we keep 5 OT's on our 53 man roster

look at that list again.  Charles is listed as second string LG and third string RT.  Perfectly reasonable to list position flexability, lots of depth charts do, but I don't quite get why someone would do it with one player when all of our backups can play more than on position

• Like 2

I certainly am not one to get sentimental about players who arent core to the team and expendable with good replacements, but I hope they know what they are doing with this.  I remember the last time we had a solid core(WR) and then thought it was fine to do a little overhaul to save some money.  Often times some success leads to over-arrogance, and instead of keeping a good core together(which in this case would give Fitz and the receivers a chance to build an offense) people think you can just throw in new players who have "potential" and just repeat that success.

We desperately need to see the offense succeed this year and make a big step up, and Im not sure downgrading the line is the way to do that.  If Cosmi comes in and plays great immediately, it looks like a good move, but the odds there are low and it puts us one injury away from a worse situation that gets Fitz killed every drop back.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

Well considering you left out 2 of our best current offensive lineman in Schereff and Moses, and in your line you have no center. Unless you have all those guys locked in at LG? This post is super confusing lol

If that's the case.. using Cosmi and Leno at left guard would be such a waste of talent.

Our best look imho is this:

LT: Leno, Cosmi

LG: Flowers, Charles

(C) Roulier, Ismael

RG: Schereff, Schweitzer

RT: Moses, Lucas, Charles

The focus was on the right side only because I thought the right side was obvious. Apparently not since they are allowing Moses to seek a trade and will probably not spend what Schereff may be looking for next year. 

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Damn. I'm really not going to recognize this team without our RT jumping offside every 3rd play.

If Leno starts, he'll be taking Moses' place.....at jumping offsides. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I certainly am not one to get sentimental about players who arent core to the team and expendable with good replacements, but I hope they know what they are doing with this.  I remember the last time we had a solid core(WR) and then thought it was fine to do a little overhaul to save some money.  Often times some success leads to over-arrogance, and instead of keeping a good core together(which in this case would give Fitz and the receivers a chance to build an offense) people think you can just throw in new players who have "potential" and just repeat that success.

We desperately need to see the offense succeed this year and make a big step up, and Im not sure downgrading the line is the way to do that.  If Cosmi comes in and plays great immediately, it looks like a good move, but the odds there are low and it puts us one injury away from a worse situation that gets Fitz killed every drop back.

I have the same concern(s).  In my mind, it would have been ideal to get them all into camp, see how it shakes out.  If Cosmi (or Charles) look good at RT, then look to trade Moses to a needy team.  

With all of that said though, it seems as though a lot of this is coming from Moses’ camp, and if that’s the case, you do the best you can do as a team and for the team... and frankly, RR seems like a guy that will also try to do right by the player.  It might bite us a bit at times, but I think the benefit of gaining player’s trust is pretty big.  I hope it works out.  

On a related note, I think Cosmi will be ready to roll right out of the gate.  He’ll learn a lot in TC - he’s got a good oline coach, will have some decent competition, and will face talented DEs.  With a pretty strong middle of the line, they’ll be able to help him out with the TE/RB/misdirection stuff if need be.

Edit:  after reading that Keim tweet about possibly cutting him, maybe it was unfair of me to say “it seems as though a lot of this is coming from Moses’ camp”.  Guess we’ll see.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Damn. Cut after being the starter? I remember saying this year was one big tryout/training camp. We just happened to make the playoffs. Ron and Masko got an entire year of film. They saw what most of us saw but probably considered the names and not all the damn sacks and blown up runs we witnessed over the years. No one on our offensive line was world beaters. They weren't even deemed as dim spots. Let alone bright. So while I like the somewhat hometown kid playing here. They're looking to improve the line play. 

This really sucks. Moses was obviously the leader on the offensive side of the ball. Terry was the captain and leader by example but Moses was the OG who could get vocal and command respect. It's a shame this is coming off his best season.

Hope to get a 4th or a 5th at least

I'm always surprised at how little in return we get for some of our players lol. Top 8 RT? Nothing, not worth a single pick. 

Who really thinks we would have been able to get a 1st rounder for Orlando Brown Jr if he was on our team? There's no way in hell we'd get that. 

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

They are going to do him the solid of finding a home sooner. Might mean no pick or a lower pick today but this goes a far way with building credibility with players around the league and doing right by them. 

Galdi pointed out another example with Kerrigan. Supposedly, he was told months ago he wasn't coming back but the team did him the solid of getting the word out that there was interest in bringing him back

• Like 3

To be honest, i'm not surprised. The difference between his cap and dead cap are massive. He knew either this year or next was his last and he's probably got a better chance at getting an extension somewhere now than he does this time in 2022. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Tough to see Kerrigan leave and to learn Moses is next to leave.  If I was the starting quarterback I would want to know if I have a decent line to block for me.

I suppose the question we need to ask ourselves is if Moses is replaceable? I would say yes. I think we'll get the same (hopefully better) production from the new guys. As a matter of fact, Ron seems to be picking players with position flex. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

To be honest, i'm not surprised. The difference between his cap and dead cap are massive. He knew either this year or next was his last and he's probably got a better chance at getting an extension somewhere now than he does this time in 2022. 

We save a lot by trading him... but we also aren’t paying him that much relative to his performance. And I doubt we’ll get much for him in a trade. So unless we need that cap space right now for some reason I just don’t see the benefit of doing this. Unless he basically demanded an extension or else a trade. I guess we’ll see. Something tells me the reasoning will become clearer before too long. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Boom. 

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I mostly don’t get the timing. Why do this now unless there’s an immediate need for cap space that isn’t yet clear...

Agreed, any extensions would not cause a big jump in cap numbers for 2021. It's possible the extensions would significantly lower cap number, particularly scherff.

Due to the odd timing, I'm assuming Moses made some demands and RR decided he would rather move on now than grant them.  If that's the case, I'd agree with him.  If this is RR making the decision without Moses forcing his hand, then I disagree with it, for the same reason others have stated: we don't need the cap space bad enough to give up OL depth the minute we finally obtain it.  If Moses is willing, let him play out his contract, get the comp pick when he walks.