Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm always surprised at how little in return we get for some of our players lol. Top 8 RT? Nothing, not worth a single pick. 

Who really thinks we would have been able to get a 1st rounder for Orlando Brown Jr if he was on our team? There's no way in hell we'd get that. 

Brown is in his mid 20s and still on his first contract.

1 minute ago, carex said:

Brown is in his mid 20s and still on his first contract.

I think he was saying if WFT had brown in his mid 20s and on his first contract, we wouldn't have gotten the haul that the chiefs gave the ravens, bc we don't know how to maximize trade value.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, any extensions would not cause a big jump in cap numbers for 2021. It's possible the extensions would significantly lower cap number, particularly scherff.

Due to the odd timing, I'm assuming Moses made some demands and RR decided he would rather move on now than grant them.  If that's the case, I'd agree with him.  If this is RR making the decision without Moses forcing his hand, then I disagree with it, for the same reason others have stated: we don't need the cap space bad enough to give up OL depth the minute we finally obtain it.  If Moses is willing, let him play out his contract, get the comp pick when he walks.

Yeah that’s what I’m leaning toward also. Maybe Moses being unhappy with the long term security of his contract was already a known issue and the Leno signing was a way of replacing him in the short term so we could move on now and find a longer term replacement next offseason. Just sucks to lose a good player who was under contract for 2 more years at an affordable rate. Gonna be potentially scrambling on the OL again next year with Scherff, Leno and Lucas all on expiring contracts. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm always surprised at how little in return we get for some of our players lol. Top 8 RT? Nothing, not worth a single pick. 

I mean, we could have gotten good returns during the year for some players who aren't/shouldn't be part of our future- Moses, Scherrf, Darby, Kerrigan, Bostic, maybe Collins before he got hurt. Which would have gotten us some good draft capital, a bunch more cap and we could have accepted a couple more losses in exchange for a draft position which might have gotten us a QB for the next decade plus.

But we went 7-9 and lost a playoff game, and that's all that matters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Keim adamant that Charles is a Guard. 

This is interesting because I feel like other beat guys haven’t been this adamant about Charles having no future at tackle. I also haven’t heard Keim make this point enough to act like it’s a ridiculous question. He’s a little unnecessarily terse on Twitter in my opinion. 

The thing that really bothers me about this is when you make this kind of announcement you basically lose all leverage. We can’t bring him back now so why would anyone give us anything for him? He should be more valuable than this. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Yeah that’s what I’m leaning toward also. Maybe Moses being unhappy with the long term security of his contract was already a known issue and the Leno signing was a way of replacing him in the short term so we could move on now and find a longer term replacement next offseason. Just sucks to lose a good player who was under contract for 2 more years at an affordable rate. Gonna be potentially scrambling on the OL again next year with Scherff, Leno and Lucas all on expiring contracts. 

Learned from Trent about being disgruntled with no guaranteed salary.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Learned from Trent about being disgruntled with no guaranteed salary.  

No guaranteed salary makes it really easy to restructure (and then give them extra years plus guarantees), and makes the cap workable short term.

I wonder if they really think Moses isn't better enough than Lucas, Cosmi, Leno, etc to justify restructuring, or if they have a policy against kicking the can down the road right now, or if they don't think the salary cap is going to rise post-Covid as quickly as some think.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Moses (and even Kerrighan) was sometimes maddening on Sundays. That's the truth. We were 3-13 or somewhere in that area for years. Just sayin'

- Every player is sometimes maddening on Sundays

- We've only been 3-13 or 4-12 or "or somewhere in that area" once in the last six years

- We were not 3-13 because of them

• Like 3

Dependability does not mean productivity. I am hearing a lot about Moses not missing games. But the actual question is, was Moses dominant? That is solid no. 

He is a solid OT that has false starts and holding issues. This is truly what I see on Sundays. Whenever I saw a play get called back for holding, I was expecting that holding penalty on #76. The fact that they are ok with cutting him tells me Masko has seen enough on film to be ok with it. But now I'm really not sure who is going to be in the lineup. 

We know who the Center and RG will be. But after that......???????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

I mostly don’t get the timing. Why do this now unless there’s an immediate need for cap space that isn’t yet clear...

The timing corresponds with their priorities in extending core players.  Allen is going to get paid and so is Payne.  If they don't extend them before the final year, they lose leverage in negotiating a contract with a lower value than that years Franchise Tag amount.  If they're forced to tag him, then he's one foot out the door as the players agent now has the leverage.  It's the 'Cousin's Conspiracy'.  That's how above average, but not the best, get overpaid.

giphy.gif

Edited by TheShredder

1 hour ago, method man said:

This really sucks. Moses was obviously the leader on the offensive side of the ball. Terry was the captain and leader by example but Moses was the OG who could get vocal and command respect. It's a shame this is coming off his best season.

Hope to get a 4th or a 5th at least

Keim usually is plugged in.  Reading his tweets i got the vibe we'd be lucky to get a 6th or 7th but might not get even that let alone at least a 4th or 5th.  It's not easy to get decent draft compensation for non-great players.  Heck we got Leno without having to trade for him.   Some talk that the Giants wanted a pick for Zietler (he's a better player than Moses IMO albeit at guard) but ultimately they released him.  My best guess is Moses gets released.  I'd be floored if they got a 4th for him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

- Every player is sometimes maddening on Sundays

- We've only been 3-13 or 4-12 or "or somewhere in that area" once in the last six years

- We were not 3-13 because of them

No loss is because of one or two players. Not saying that. But there is not one player on any of those teams that stood out as a bright spot. I don't ever recall being upset after a losing season and saying to myself, at least we've got Moses and Scherff. This year we had a losing season. But there is no doubt that this D-line, Curl, McClaurin, Gibson and a few others were bright spots that I am looking forward to seeing ball out next year. 

3 hours ago, oraphus said:

There is no point to cut Moses now... his salary is not guaranteed until first day of season. Best plan IMO is to squat on him until another team loses a tackle to inj during OTAs/ Preseason. They can always cut him prior to day one.

This is a solid point about guaranteed money. If the WFT is not going to come off the dime to guarantee anything with a new contract, then his ass is in the wind if he gets hurt during training camp or preseason. Or am I reading this right?

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim usually is plugged in.  Reading his tweets i got the vibe we'd be lucky to get a 6th or 7th but might not get even that let alone at least a 4th or 5th.  It's not easy to get draft compensation for non elite players.  Heck we got Leno without having to trade for him.   Some talk that the Giants wanted a pick for Zietler (he's a better player than Moses IMO albeit at guard) but ultimately released him.  My best guess is Moses gets released.  I'd be floored if they got a 4th for him. 

Factz

Maybe the idea is to clear his cap hit this year so we can roll more cap space into next year for extensions (and maybe flexibility for a QB trade if something comes available?) Because I don’t see any other reason to need the cap space THIS year. Unless he forced his way out... but it’s odd that there wasn’t any smoke about that if that’s the case. 

2 minutes ago, mudhog said:

This is a solid point about guaranteed money. If the WFT is not going to come off the dime to guarantee anything with a new contract, then his ass is in the wind if he gets hurt during training camp or preseason. Or am I reading this right?

Not really because any NFL player making Millions can get injury insurance.  The premium is usually covered in some sort of 'Bonus' money...so the getting injured without injury guarantee for a season to season argument is negated.  The issue is LTD guarunteed money.  Vets lose that when they age and gets roster bonus $ instead to offset the injury risk for both sides, but the team ultimately pays the insurance cost.

• Thanks 1

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/17/monday-afternoon-quarterback-offseason-work-michael-jordan-contract

Ryan Kerrigan is an interesting add for new Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon. While, on paper, you’d look at him and think that he’d bring the Seattle-ish scheme that Indy DC Matt Eberflus runs, there’s still a lot of Mike Zimmer influence there. And Zimmer very much values pass-rushers who have some versatility, so he can be creative with them. At his height, that’s what Kerrigan was. At 32, even having some of that left could help Gannon bring his vision for the defense to life. (For what it’s worth, here’s one pro scouting director’s take on what Kerrigan has left: “Not much. Thought he was very close to the end last year even with play time cut back. Sometimes those type guys have one decent last year with a new team.”

• Like 1

He’s a little unnecessarily terse on Twitter in my opinion.

I agree with this. I’m sure he gets the same questions over and over again allll day, but there’s no rule saying he needs to read all his mentions. He chooses what he responds to and he comes across very short, often, as if he’s constantly answering the same questions for some reason. Print is a dying medium and very few are willing to pay for online content that isn’t The Athletic-quality. A large Twitter following and high engagement numbers are a concrete thing journalists can show their bosses to prove their work draws eyes and clicks. It’s a little silly to come across like the whole thing is a chore—it’s a major part of his job in this modern time. It’s not all training camp columns and player interviews anymore. It’s nice that he’s willing to interact with fans, but he does come across as agitated for no reason, very often.

I actually think the thing that gets to these beat writers sometimes is that while fans still don’t have their sources or insider knowledge, on the whole we are much more well-informed than we used to be—and it leads to fans phrasing questions differently or taking one thing for granted and making assumptions before jumping into a question. It’s like they sometimes have a visceral reaction to the things fans think they know, or something.

The thing that really bothers me about this is when you make this kind of announcement you basically lose all leverage. We can’t bring him back now so why would anyone give us anything for him? He should be more valuable than this. 

This was leaked, not announced by the team, which I would take to mean they’ve  already attempted and struck out at getting the value they wish they could get, and things are pretty much wrapping up for a late round pick or with a release. We’re hearing about it for the first time, which makes it feel as if it’s just beginning, but in reality it’s almost over, and after chatter around the league it leaked. And once it leaked the local guys look into it and confirm or let loose the things they already were keeping close to the vest. 

In short, advertising his potential release isn’t losing us trade value—his potential release is now leaked precisely because we aren’t getting offered any trade value and the saga is ending. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3