Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Moses being cut or traded is ultimately a net of $16m in cap space in 2022. Why?

We aren't going to re-invest that $7.5m this year on spending. So it's money that is going to roll into 2022 one way or another.

So that's $16m in cap space for 2022.

Of course we don't NEED that cap space this year. But the point is it would roll into next year, and that $16 million will be very nice to have in 2022.

I think unspent money can also be rolled over. If that's true it could help in re-signing Allen and maybe Scherrf (though I think Scherrf is gone after this year.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

ertz is finished

I can see Ertz and Fitz having some big days if Ertz found his way to DC....TE's can play late into their 30's in some cases and I don't see why Ertz can't. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah the dude is completely washed. Besides if the idea is to get younger and cheaper why would we want Ertz who is even older than Moses and will be more expensive?

As I said, only if he restructured to a reasonable deal would i take Ertz. Envisioning a two TE set with Ertz and Logan T. would be exciting to see in my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

How bout Moses for Ertz? Assuming we could get Ertz to extend and restructure? 

You want to extend Ertz?  And lock in cap for him?  How sure are you that his decline since 2018 is temporary?  Logically, if you think there's a chance he can't revert to 2018 form, then you wouldn't want to tie up future cap space.

So how sure are you?  100%?  75%?  50%?  Anything less than 100% becomes difficult given that Logan Thomas will also need a contract.

Extending Ertz implies you think Logan should walk in 2022.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

As I said, only if he restructured to a reasonable deal would i take Ertz. Envisioning a two TE set with Ertz and Logan T. would be exciting to see in my opinion. 

Rather try and develop Reyes or Bates than pray you get some kind of resurgence from someone who gives no indication he's capable of one.

3 hours ago, terpfan said:

Honestly if it drives his price down... probably still worth the risk. I can’t imagine he never plays again. Not sure how credible this report is but I’d be glad to know we haven’t ruled him out completely. 

I was against it pre draft because I didn't want to give up picks. Now that we beefed up our roster I would totally consider future picks at this point

If the FO knew that we’d land flowers and Leno for peanuts as well as draft cosmi, I wonder if they still would have franchised scherff. Regardless of Moses staying or leaving, our OL depth is stellar. We used to feel like we’d have gaping holes if someone went down, not any more.

We can say the same almost all the way across the board. So many were clamoring for a TE in FA/draft and I don’t understand why; Logan Thomas played at a pro bowl level last year. Sure, two great TEs would be welcome, but how many teams have that luxury? We found a diamond in the rough in him.

ILB and FS were the only positions that I was borderline desperate for. I think the team did a fine job addressing both positions. I worry about Jamin, but if anyone can shape an ILB it’s Rivera and jdr. Did Cooley have a take on him? 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, TrancesWithWolves said:

Oh my goodness you're right! I never noticed the date. lol

It's actually a post from the first page of this thread. My best guess is that I was reading recent posts and wanted to go back to the previous page but hit the button that goes to the first page instead.

My bad CapSkins.

I logged in for the first time in a while and was very confused. 😂

Good looking out @jsharrin55 lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a roster that's competitive enough to win at least one game in the playoffs.  In that situation, when you can afford it, you keep a pro bowl-caliber RG, especially w/new or inexperienced QBs.  Scherff will find a cool market next year and he'll stay if he wants to compete for a SB with a roster like this one.  If he wants a payday, he can walk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Rather try and develop Reyes or Bates than pray you get some kind of resurgence from someone who gives no indication he's capable of one.

Not me, I'd be fine with Ertz, Bates and Thomas with Reyes on the practice squad developing....Ertz has proven pro bowl seasons while Reyes has never played a down of football in his life. That, and if anyone can get a resurgence out of Ertz I'd put my money on Fitz. I can't see any team signing Reyes away from us and putting him on their active roster unless he goes off in his preseason games....BTW, it seems as though the coaches like Hemingway too so maybe he's a good example of why not to go after Ertz?

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Not me, I'd be fine with Ertz, Bates and Thomas with Reyes on the practice squad developing....Ertz has proven pro bowl seasons while Reyes has never played a down of football in his life. That, and if anyone can get a resurgence out of Ertz I'd put my money on Fitz. I can't see any team signing Reyes away from us and putting him on their active roster unless he goes off in his preseason games....BTW, it seems as though the coaches like Hemingway too so maybe he's a good example of why not to go after Ertz?

Dunno. Ertz had one superstar season but really he just always felt like a good player on the cusp of some Gates/Kelce numbers. 

Anybody advocating Ertz clearly has zero idea how dead-legged hes been the last couple years.

Hes washed.  Its over.  Theres a certain amount of expected salary to sign a guy with his resume and he'll never come close to earning it.

But Cerrato approves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Anybody advocating Ertz clearly has zero idea how dead-legged hes been the last couple years.

Hes washed.  Its over.  Theres a certain amount of expected salary to sign a guy with his resume and he'll never come close to earning it.

But Cerrato approves.

I'd prefer to just give Delanie Walker a tryout and see if the year off has rejuvinated him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Bates is our answer to Ertz.

I don’t think Bates has the downfield receiving profile of an Ertz-type TE. He probably profiles as an ideal TE2 who can be a good blocker while also helping some as a receiver here and there. But if something were to happen to Thomas we’d lose the dimension of our offense that he provides. 

Not saying Ertz is the answer necessarily either, because who knows what he actually has left.  But it would be nice to have a guy with a little more explosiveness downfield as a second or third option. Maybe that’s Reyes but he’s obviously got a long ways to go. If another experienced receiving TE becomes available for cheap, it’s at least worth kicking the tires, I think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

I don’t think Bates has the downfield receiving profile of an Ertz-type TE. He probably profiles as an ideal TE2 who can be a good blocker while also helping some as a receiver here and there. But if something were to happen to Thomas we’d lose the dimension of our offense that he provides. 

Not saying Ertz is the answer necessarily either, because who knows what he actually has left.  But it would be nice to have a guy with a little more explosiveness downfield as a second or third option. Maybe that’s Reyes but he’s obviously got a long ways to go. If another experienced receiving TE becomes available for cheap, it’s at least worth kicking the tires, I think. 

Ertz hasn't been a downfield threat in a while.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ertz hasn't been a downfield threat in a while.

2019 wasn’t *that* long ago but yeah like I said I’m not sure I’d bet on him to regain that form either. Still probably more likely than Bates becoming that guy as a rookie though. 

• Like 1

It was interesting to hear on John Keims podcast that Leno is seen as being the guy at the Left Tackle spot and Cosmi is seen as a 1st rounder they got in the 2nd who will be playing right away. That’s what’s pushing Moses out the door according to him. What they saw in camp reaffirmed what they saw on tape and Matsko has gotta be confident in what he can teach by week 1. 

Should be an interesting ride. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Bates is our answer to Ertz.

I don't see why this is not obvious to so many here. Brevin Jordan was arguably the 3rd best TE in the draft after Pitts and Freiermuth, according to many draft gurus. Many on here had him in their top 5 TEs along with Long and Tremble. 

Now, considering our greatest needs going into the draft (LT, LB, TE, WR, FS, etc...), and where to take BPA to fit our needs, it would probably play out that in RD1 and 2 we would address LB and LT. Which we did. And, that would make the 3rd round picks the sweet spot for a TE. 

Hunter Long was taken the pick before our first 3rd round pick, and Tommy Tremble was still available after our second 3rd rounder. Brevin Jordan was still available when we picked Bates in the 4th.

We could have had any of these TEs after Pitts and Freiermuth, but we picked Bates because of his skillset and intangibles. It was stated by one of our coaches that after the Dyami Brown pick, Brevin Jordan would be 'more of the same'. We wanted an in-line TE that could and would block, as well as run and catch. It took MANY years for Ertz to become a willing and decent blocker. We picked a kid who is willing to do it now and is pretty good at it. 

I would even add without seeing him do it, that Sammis Reyes will be a good blocker while he learns his route tree.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In an article titled “The 5 Most Improved Teams This Off Season” Robert Mays, of The Athletic lists in descending order:

5. the Jaguars

4. the Browns

3. the Jets

2. the Patriots

“1. Washington Football Team

Notable additions: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson III, Charles Leno, Ereck Flowers, Jamin Davis (rookie), Samuel Cosmi (rookie), Bobby McCain

What it means for 2021: This year’s Washington Football Team is going to be an excellent test case for what it means when a team goes from basement-level QB play to competence at the position. Washington finished dead last (by a mile) last season in passing DVOA. Alex Smith and Dwayne Haskins ranked 36th and 37th, respectively, out of 38 qualified QBS in EPA per drop back. It’s a testament to how great the Football Team’s defense was in 2020 that this team managed to win seven games. Luckily, that’s where Ryan Fitzpatrick comes in. No one thinks that the 38-year-old journeyman quarterback is the long-term answer in Washington. He signed a one-year, $10 million deal this spring on his latest stop around the league. But even if Fitzpatrick isn’t the QB of the future, he’s a pretty good option for the present! Fitzpatrick finished sixth in EPA per drop back last season with the Dolphins. Sixth! And he did it with arguably a worse supporting cast than the one he’ll have in Washington this season. If Washington can field even an average passing offense with Fitzpatrick this fall (which is easy to believe), it will look like they’re playing a completely different sport on that side of the ball.

Along with the upgrade to Fitzpatrick, Washington also bolstered multiple important spots on its offense. Head coach Ron Rivera signed former Panthers receiver Curtis Samuel to a three-year, $34.5 million contract to play opposite Terry McLaurin. Samuel’s multifaceted role, speed, and ability to play inside and out should bring a new dimension to Washington’s passing game that it lacked last season. Former Bears tackle Charles Leno isn’t nearly as flashy of a move, but nabbing a six-year starter for just $5 million in late May is a coup for Washington. Plugging Leno in at left tackle in the short term allows Washington to bring second-round pick Sam Cosmi along at his own pace rather than relying on him to be their Day 1 starter at the position. Even a move like trading for guard Ereck Flowers and bringing him back to Washington is a subtle upgrade for this offensive line. It’s frankly staggering how much better Washington’s offense looks on paper right now than it did at the end of last season.

The defense didn’t need an overhaul this spring, but signing Jackson to a big-money deal should allow Washington to play more man coverage and diversify their defense after a zone-heavy approach in the first season under Rivera. McCain is another quality post-draft signing that gives Washington additional depth on the back end of its defense. For Washington fans who were looking to build on a surprising playoff push in Rivera’s debut season, this offseason went about as well as it possibly could’ve. On paper, this is a legitimate playoff team.”

The entire article including several teams listed as honorable mention can be found on The Athletic website.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

On 5/19/2021 at 3:58 AM, terpfan said:

Except the guy who’s essentially replacing him (Leno) is basically the same age. This appears to be more about money than youth. 

I agree, it’s primarily a money move, maybe combined with Lucas being viewed as a suitable replacement on the opposite side to Leno.

For me it’s further evidence than Collins will be dumped at the first logical/available opportunity from a cap perspective.