Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Thuney is also a couple of years younger. So there’s a possibility he can see the last 2 years of his contract.

And Thuney got that money in a reduced cap. Next offseason is a whole new ball game. That’s why we’ve seen so many 1year contracts.

Scherff, barring injury, is going to set the new bar.

Quinten Nelson is going to set the new bar.  That might be what Scherff and his agent are waiting on.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Fisher is getting paid $10mil and is questionable to start the season. He’s supports my point, in my view. 

Im just not seeing many injury examples, especially great to elite guys. Now if you want to discuss some guys needing to cash in who are good but not great like an Anthony Harris or Kenyon Drake, then okay. But in those cases it may have been the team wanting to steal a year of athletic prime without a long term commitment, which I don’t think is bad business in many cases. 

One year deals are always good for organizations buying low than they are for players coming off injuries. The only reason Fisher got a deal was because of his position. If he was IOL he would have been lucky to get 5.

9 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Thuney is also a couple of years younger. So there’s a possibility he can see the last 2 years of his contract.

And Thuney got that money in a reduced cap. Next offseason is a whole new ball game. That’s why we’ve seen so many 1year contracts.

Scherff, barring injury, is going to set the new bar.

Thuney won’t see the last two years. It’ll be like the Moses situation. I also don’t like using the “reduced” cap as an excuse for anything considering he just set the record for highest AAV for a guard by 2 million a season. Every year. There are always teams under the cap by a considerable margin and also, there wasn’t a reduced cap. The new Bar will be Nelson and Scherff will be somewhere in between Nelson and Thuney but closer to the latter.

Ron is NOT making room for Watson. Everything he preaches about culture would all go down the drain by signing a guy who exposes himself to woman on a daily basis.  I think a lot of people are over thinking this.  Ron feels Moses isn't worth the money.  Plain and simple.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big Moses fan. But in Ron we trust. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Scherff is getting $18M this year. Fisher $9.4M. Both 1-year contracts. And Fisher *may* miss games. Not ruled out though.

If Scherff is turning down a long-term contract of $18M/year.... what do you think he’s going to get in his next contract? And Fisher? Supposedly if both played full seasons and performed well.

I’d wager Scherff gets more. 

I say Scherff plays out this year and the extra money goes towards Allen, Thomas and possibly others.  JMO.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, joeken24 said:

Dependability does not mean productivity. I am hearing a lot about Moses not missing games. But the actual question is, was Moses dominant? That is solid no. 

He is a solid OT that has false starts and holding issues. This is truly what I see on Sundays. Whenever I saw a play get called back for holding, I was expecting that holding penalty on #76. The fact that they are ok with cutting him tells me Masko has seen enough on film to be ok with it. But now I'm really not sure who is going to be in the lineup. 

We know who the Center and RG will be. But after that......???????

That is some next level BS. Moses has issues with holding? Obviously you don’t watch NFL lineman block. They all hold! The only thing is will they call it or not. 

I believe Moses has the rep among Referees and they call it more on him. The truth is he isn’t doing anything differently than other lineman.

• Like 1

On the Geron release, I heard beat guys say multiple times Geron's issues among others is he didn't have the reputation of being a hard worker.  Russell was just talking about it on air.  He gave up 6 sacks last year, 7th most in the league and that was with him being a spot starter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

In fact, the truth is sometimes he just isn’t doing ANYTHING.

image.gif.52470bb42e55e72c1c8db9a66cc3dded.gif

But clips out of context can be misleading.  For all we know, he could've been doing exactly what he was instructed to do. Do we really think he just had no idea the DE was out there?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On the Geron release, I heard beat guys say multiple times Geron's issues among others is he didn't have the reputation of being a hard worker.  Russell was just talking about it on air.  He gave up 6 sacks last year, 7th most in the league and that was with him being a spot starter.

RR and Co. made the right moves plus Allen and Thomas need extensions.  :)  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

That is some next level BS. Moses has issues with holding? Obviously you don’t watch NFL lineman block. They all hold! The only thing is will they call it or not. 

I believe Moses has the rep among Referees and they call it more on him. The truth is he isn’t doing anything differently than other lineman.

I mean, he only 2 holding penalties last year.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But clips out of context can be misleading.  For all we know, he could've been doing exactly what he was instructed to do. Do we really think he just had no idea the DE was out there?

Is that really the hill you want to die on?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Although Washington’s decision to move on from Moses appears abrupt, it took place after the team added two potential starters at tackle in recent weeks. Leno, who signed a one-year, $5 million deal last week, is expected to remain at his usual left tackle spot, and Cosmi, who has experience on both sides, will likely see time early in his first season, if not immediately. The team also has depth in the form of Cornelius Lucas, who started at left tackle for eight games last season.

Although last season was one of the best of Moses’ career, he battled through an adductor injury that visibly hobbled him at times.

Moses had two seasons left on his contract, with salaries of $7.5 million each, but none of it was guaranteed. The team will have a $1.9 million cap charge this season from his remaining prorated signing bonus, but will save roughly $7.7 million in cap space that will only help it built out its roster.

Christian, 25, was entering the final year of his rookie contract. The former Louisville tackle struggled to see the field in his first two seasons and last year, in his opportunity to seize the left tackle spot, was uneven in six starts. He then missed the rest of the season with a knee injury. The team will have a $242,248 cap charge this season, according to Over the Cap, and will save $920,000.

Washington now has approximately $24 million in cap space, which could be used for more depth and to re-sign another veteran. Defensive tackle Jonathan Allen appears the most likely candidate, as he begins the final year on his rookie contract (fifth-year option). Although there were preliminary discussions earlier this year between his reps and the team, substantive contract talks have yet to begin, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The team could also look to extend the contract of tight end Logan Thomas, who is on the final year of his deal and has developed into a key piece of the offense.

For now, two of the team’s offensive line spots are solidified with center Chase Roullier and right guard Brandon Scherff, who’s slated to play on his second franchise tag. Leno also appears locked in at left tackle and Cosmi or Lucas could be the other bookend. The left guard competition figures to include Wes Schweitzer, last year’s starter; Ereck Flowers, who the traded for in late April; and Saahdiq Charles, a 2020 fourth-round pick who’s rehabbing his left knee after undergoing season-ending surgery last November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/20/morgan-moses-released-washington-football-team/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Isn’t this about what Watson would cost. Rodgers a bit more?

Im telling you. Something is up. Too much smoke to not be fire. It’s like when you are being cheated on. There are too many things here that add up. 

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I say Scherff plays out this year and the extra money goes towards Allen, Thomas and possibly others.  JMO.  

I just don’t see WFT extending Thomas. 

He’s outplayed his contract. Awesome. It’s great when that happens. And like Darby, you let him go and try again. Hopefully Bates and Reyes develop.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I mean, I can't see what he would have been "instructed" to do on that play. There's no TE covering him, the RB is on the other side of the formation, there's no one else lined up in Moses' orbit. If he didn't think the rusher was his responsibility, why did he eventually have an "oh, crap" reaction and turn to go after him too late.

Not going to crucify a guy for one play, but I don't buy any explanation for that one other than that he basically fell asleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

Geron too... the timing of this really does start to feel odd. I get the releasing guys early so they can find other homes angle... but in May? Feels like something else is brewing...

I predict we resign a few young core players, hopefully including Allen, over the next fortnight.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I predict we resign a few players, hopefully including Allen, over the next fortnight.

Still... extensions aren’t likely to increase current year cap numbers... so why is it all of a sudden crucial that we clear Moses and Christian off our cap now, as opposed to later in the offseason in case there are OL injuries in camp? Makes you wonder what they might need cap space for right now...

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it’s very suspicious to me. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Still... extensions aren’t likely to increase current year cap numbers... so why is it all of a sudden crucial that we clear Moses and Christian off our cap now, as opposed to later in the offseason in case there are OL injuries in camp? Makes you wonder what they might need cap space for right now...

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it’s very suspicious to me. 

Julio Jones. 😂

50 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Isn’t this about what Watson would cost. Rodgers a bit more?

Im telling you. Something is up. Too much smoke to not be fire. It’s like when you are being cheated on. There are too many things here that add up. 

I like Fitz.  But still I'd love it if this is about making a major Qb move.    My gut is no on that front.  But who knows?

47 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I just don’t see WFT extending Thomas. 

He’s outplayed his contract. Awesome. It’s great when that happens. And like Darby, you let him go and try again. Hopefully Bates and Reyes develop.

I need to see him do it again, but at the moment I wouldn't mind the idea of Logan Thomas being rewarded. I think that's important in team building.

Different topic: A lot of people are posting as if Moses has been cut. He's still on the roster, right? He's just on the trade block.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I need to see him do it again, but at the moment I wouldn't mind the idea of Logan Thomas being rewarded. I think that's important in team building.

Different topic: A lot of people are posting as if Moses has been cut. He's still on the roster, right? He's just on the trade block.

No. They released him a couple hours ago

• Sad 1