Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

No. They released him a couple hours ago

Thanks. Sorry to see him go. He wasn't a a world beater, but he was good and generally steady. Wonder why this all went down so quickly (at least from our perspective)

If he's cut I think that means we don't even get compensatory picks, right?

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Thanks. Sorry to see him go. He wasn't a a world beater, but he was good and generally steady. Wonder why this all went down so quickly (at least from our perspective)

If he's cut I think that means we don't even get compensatory picks, right?

We don’t but he was going to be cut this year or next so we wouldn’t have gotten one anyways

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Probably just freeing up space to re-sign Jon Allen and/or Scherff, and maybe somebody else. Use that extra space to front-load the contract, putting us in a better position to keep Payne/Io/Settle, et all, next year.

As in, significantly increase the salary they are making in the last year of their existing contract? That seems unlikely, but after doing some research it sounds like the signing bonus for the extension WOULD still be prorated over the upcoming year, not just the years extended. So that could definitely be a factor here...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I need to see him do it again, but at the moment I wouldn't mind the idea of Logan Thomas being rewarded. I think that's important in team building.

Thomas benefitted from a lack of options in the passing game last year (ie. circumstance). And he came through. Had a career year.

But he’s not a guy the WFT needs to pay a premium for. He’s limited... and there are a lot of better options now ahead of him.

I think we saw a career year last year... but I’m not doubling down that we see it again. And even if he pleasantly surprises again, what’s the cutoff price?! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Isn’t this about what Watson would cost. Rodgers a bit more?

Im telling you. Something is up. Too much smoke to not be fire. It’s like when you are being cheated on. There are too many things here that add up. 

Could this not mean we're doing some sort of extension with a player or two? 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Thomas benefitted from a lack of options in the passing game last year (ie. circumstance). And he came through. Had a career year.

But he’s not a guy the WFT needs to pay a premium for. He’s limited... and there are a lot of better options now ahead of him.

I think we saw a career year last year... but I’m not doubling down that we see it again. And even if he pleasantly surprises again, what’s the cutoff price?! 

I can dig that. I don't think I would break the bank for him, but if he exceeds expectations two years in a row I'd like to offer him a second contract. If he wants to reset the tight end market I don't think he's earned that, but if he proves himself a legit number one tight end again, I'd like to reward that effort.

If we're cutting guys who played poorly and were made superfluous I'm surprised Wes Martin isn't also gone.  Ereck Flowers is back, Charles is converting to guard. Tyler Larsen was signed and plays guard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carex said:

If we're cutting guys who played poorly and were made superfluous I'm surprised Wes Martin isn't also gone.  Ereck Flowers is back, Charles is converting to guard. Tyler Larsen was signed and plays guard

And Apke...

And on Thomas... I’d like to see him do it again before extending him. There’s a solid UFA class at tight end next year too. 

23 minutes ago, carex said:

Didn't the team recently have voluntary OTA's and 76 players showed up?  I wonder if Geron was there and just looked out of shape or something.

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

And Apke...

And on Thomas... I’d like to see him do it again before extending him. There’s a solid UFA class at tight end next year too. 

Apke is great on Teams. 

Maybe Wes Martin lost a bunch of weight and looks like a different guy. Otherwise, I agree he should be cut.

1 hour ago, carex said:

I don't think Moses or Kerrigan's departures had anything to do with poor play.

• Like 2

Just now, Riggodrill44 said:

Really? When was this clip? 2015?  

Im sure you can find a clip of Trent Williams missing a block too. This tells us nothing.

Aw jeez. It was a joke. I couldn’t find that one from last year where he didn’t even move after the snap. That was funny.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Apke is great on Teams. 

Ehhhh that’s not enough to cut it at this point in his career. Unless he’s like a special teams captain, which he’s not. He’s just a safety with speed and nothing else. We have at least 6 guys at that position that are more valuable (Curl, McCain, Collins, Reaves, Everett, Forrest)

3 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

That is some next level BS. Moses has issues with holding? Obviously you don’t watch NFL lineman block. They all hold! The only thing is will they call it or not. 

I believe Moses has the rep among Referees and they call it more on him. The truth is he isn’t doing anything differently than other lineman.

Might be next level BS from the refs. But the refs made the call on Moses. There was 4 other guys these refs could have called it on. Jus saying. Bottom line, he's released. If the coaching staff thought his performance was next level, he'd still be here. Especially with time left on his contract. I get the remnants of Ashburn syndrome. 

Edited by joeken24
Add

It’s amazing how year after year this team finds ways to turn strengths into weaknesses with one swift move. We’re gonna release Montez Sweat next offseason for no reason and you all will use mental gymnastics to justify it.

New head coach, same old deadskins.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

😂 guys call down. No need to cut half the roster right now. We need a big squad going into the off-season program...people get hurt. It's not like you can just sign a UDFA who is better. 

That's just what is annoying. Ron is a competition guy but he didn't let the OTs compete and cut down our depth at one of the most important positions. He takes a risk. Expecting the new to be better then the old (something about the grass always being greener at the neighbours). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terpfan said:

Still... extensions aren’t likely to increase current year cap numbers... so why is it all of a sudden crucial that we clear Moses and Christian off our cap now, as opposed to later in the offseason in case there are OL injuries in camp? Makes you wonder what they might need cap space for right now...

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it’s very suspicious to me. 

Agree. It's also not the most logical moment in the off-season program to cut people. They had a rookie camp with 10 players (that's says nothing) and people checked in for the voluntary program. That's it.