Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

60 million isn't all that much when you consider they're yet to lock up ANY of their core FAs (Terry, Jon Allen, Payne, Ion) not to mention they still won't have a QB which, unless we're drafting one early, is going to eat up about a third of that.

To be fair, signing a qb probably offsets the potential of a comp pick for Scherff... (though I’m down with re-signing Fitzpatrick...)

But yeah, I’m right there with you - we can blow through that money in a hurry re-signing/extending guys.  I hope they go light on FA the next year or two, let some guys walk, spend picks to trade up for a qb (if they like one and can swing it), and acquire comp picks to take a bit of the sting off said trade up.

Just now, skinny21 said:

To be fair, signing a qb probably offsets the potential of a comp pick for Scherff... (though I’m down with re-signing Fitzpatrick...)

But yeah, I’m right there with you - we can blow through that money in a hurry re-signing/extending guys.  I hope they go light on FA the next year or two, let some guys walk, spend picks to trade up for a qb (if they like one and can swing it), and acquire comp picks to take a bit of the sting off said trade up.

We probably won’t be signing a QB though technically. It would either be a trade or draft pick. So I don’t think they would affect our comp picks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we’re going from Moses to Lucas, following the move to get Leno at LT.

I think Cosmi will have some growing pains, but I also think he’ll start immediately and be a good RT for us.

Just now, terpfan said:

We probably won’t be signing a QB though technically. It would either be a trade or draft pick. So I don’t think they would affect our comp picks. 

I agree, but I was going off what the poster I quoted said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I honestly don't see an area where they would need to go big in FA unless Jamin doesn't work out. LB looks like it has a decent crop that will be available although many, like Leonard and TJ Watt will be signed or their options picked up.

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

IT's a pretty putrid group that will be available. I think Mariota and Geno Smith are the cream of the crop.

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

It just crossed my mind that cutting Moses could also be creating space for Watson. 🤔 

I'm sorry but the LAST thing this team needs is a franchise guy facing like 30 counts of sexual misconduct. 

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I agree, but I was going off what the poster I quoted said.

Well he’s right that trading for a top QB would require a lot of cap space. Drafting one wouldn’t particularly though.  And either way I think we have a decent chance at some comp picks. I expect most of our big free agency moves will be re-signing our own guys. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It just crossed my mind that cutting Moses could also be creating space for Watson. 🤔 

The timing of the Moses news combined with that report that we are one of the teams interested in Watson did give me a little tingle I’ll be honest.

Edited by terpfan

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

This team likely has at least 35-40 free agents next season based on the roster right now. Will be interesting to see what the final cuts leave us with in terms of 2022 FA’s.

Based on snap % to kind of determine who starts (thinking who plays more than 50% of snaps)

LT, Leno -  (in Chicago)

TE, Thomas

LB, Bostic

FS, McCain - (in Miami)

RG, Scherff

IDL, Allen

3rd Down RB, McKissic

Outside WR, Cam Sims

For all intents and purposes you can add in Fitzpatrick to this.  But Bostic and Cam Sims aren't as much of an issue given the incoming rookies Jamin Davis and Dyami Brown.  Then there's a rumored desire between both Allen and the team to get a new contract.  It's not quite as dire as I thought for a free agent exodus, but it'd be nice to lock in Allen.

If, let's say, the Football Team does better with Fitzpatrick at the helm and wins more games.  And the defense doesn't regress.  I think it's likely we have more pro-bowlers on defense than just Chase Young.  Allen is a likely candidate for that.  Which makes the odds of him being more expensive after 2021 season than before the 2021 season.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm sorry but the LAST thing this team needs is a franchise guy facing like 30 counts of sexual misconduct. 

This is obviously a very valid point but I still can’t help myself. He’s so good. 

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

combined with that report that we are one of the teams interested in Watson did give me a little tingle I’ll be honest.

Watson and give me a little tingle probably shouldn’t be used in the same sentence at the moment.

• Haha 8

I don't want the team to do anything else this offseason except extend Allen. convert his option into the first year of a 5 year extension and give him 20 of the 50 million in guaranteed money right off the bat and then spread the other 30 million plus base salary means an average of 12.5 for the other 4 years (on an assumed 75 million contract).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't want the team to do anything else this offseason except extend Allen. convert his option into the first year of a 5 year extension and give him 20 of the 50 million in guaranteed money right off the bat and then spread the other 30 million plus base salary means an average of 12.5 for the other 4 years (on an assumed 75 million contract).

Leonard Williams got something like 3/63mil, I think Allen gets 17/18mil per year.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I honestly don't see an area where they would need to go big in FA unless Jamin doesn't work out. LB looks like it has a decent crop that will be available although many, like Leonard and TJ Watt will be signed or their options picked up.

Right, that’s my thinking as well.  We shouldn’t have many holes, so hopefully we can fill them via in house guys, extensions/re-signings, cheap FAs and the draft.  Not that it’s going to happen, but Scherff, Thomas, Leno and McCain could (in theory) all net us comp picks.

4 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Well he’s right that trading for a top QB would require a lot of cap space. Drafting one wouldn’t particularly though.  And either way I think we have a decent chance at some comp picks. I expect most of our big free agency moves will be re-signing our own guys. 

The timing of the Moses news combined with that report that we are one of the teams interested in Watson did give me a little tingle I’ll be honest.

My suggestion is you go back through the conversation.  Not trying to be snippy, I just think you missed a relevant bit and I don’t feel like spelling it out.  :)

Leonard Williams got something like 3/63mil, I think Allen gets 17/18mil per year.

Leonard's deal is much shorter, and, in my mind a horrible one. He cashed in on one year of good play. 

I’m kind of at a similar position on acquiring Watson though. Could see Rivera making an expectation to the rule for an elite QB talent.

I can't. He got blasted for playing Haskins after the strip club incident and I can't see him doing the same thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My suggestion is you go back through the conversation.  Not trying to be snippy, I just think you missed a relevant bit and I don’t feel like spelling it out.  :)

Ha it’s cool man I am not worried about it either way. From your last post it would appear like we’re on the same page. 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Speaking of which, I’m curious what the board thinks the ball park will be for our (potential) re-signs:

Allen 

Payne (2023, assuming he plays 2022 on his RO)

McLaurin (2023)

Holcomb (2023)

Thomas (2022) 

Settle (2022, if we re-sign him)

and Sweat/Young (2024/2025, assuming they play on their ROs)

I’m presuming Ioannidis walks in 2023

There's a difference between what I would do and what I THINK the team would do.

What I would do:

1. Allen - Extend

2. Payne - Extend

3. McLaurin - Extend

4. Holcomb - let go after contract, replace with draft pick in 2022/2023

5. Thomas - Let go

6. Settle - let go after contract, replace with draft pick in 2022/2023

7. Sweat - Extend

8. Young - Extend

What I think will happen:

1. Allen - Extend

2. Payne - let walk

3. McLaurin - extend

4. Holcombe - let walk

5. Thomas - Extend

6. Settle - Let walk

7. Sweat - Let Walk / Trade

8. Young - Extend

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Scherff is making a risky play. He’s very injury prone. I would have taken the contract. Wouldn’t be surprised to see injuries lead to him signing a lesser offer next year. 

Just not as risky in today’s NFL world. The money for one year is huge and medical advances allow players to come back from anything. 

He could rupture his Achilles this season, (now probably the scariest injury over taking an ACL which seems to no longer be a big deal) and still sign a huge contract this off season.  

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It wasn't a good investment at 5.

He's a great player and I've advocated resigning him, but at 30 it's just not worth it, despite him being one of the leagues best guards. He's no Hutchinson though.

Being a top 5 pick is a different conversation, but I believe his career has proved the selection is a good one. If it was a higher percentage hit rate top 5 picks that aren’t guards end up being great, then I’d be with you. Draft is too much of a hit or miss for me to discount the value of a guy becoming multi time pro bowler and an all-pro. 

30 is right in the middle of a guards prime, especially one as gifted as Scherff. Similar argument to when some would bring up Trent Williams age, Olineman age well compared to other positions, and this is more true for elite talents. Trent put together another pro bowl season and will do so for next 4-5 years, Scherff will as wel.  

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Haskins and Watson aren’t comparable.

Nor are their off field issues.

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Just not as risky in today’s NFL world. The money for one year is huge and medical advances allow players to come back from anything. 

He could rupture his Achilles this season, (now probably the scariest injury over taking an ACL which seems to no longer be a big deal) and still sign a huge contract this off season. 

Eric Fisher lost his job and could only get a one year deal. It’s incredibly risky especially for a position that isn’t exactly a priority for teams (as opposed to say Dak signing his deal coming off his injury). 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I just saw one saying "Julio Jones being a good fit here"....does that count?

I agree. Now how about if we traded for Mulio Mones? I seriously think he'd be a great fit in our Offense :)

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Nor are their off field issues.

Agreed, you referenced Haskins not me. Nothing about them draws much comparison.

Rivera runs a very tight ship. That’s clear. I’ll take or leave a pursuit of Watson but I wouldn’t automatically assume Rivera would have an available elite/franchise level QB off his board. Popular or not. 

• Like 1