Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

It’s amazing how year after year this team finds ways to turn strengths into weaknesses with one swift move. We’re gonna release Montez Sweat next offseason for no reason and you all will use mental gymnastics to justify it.

New head coach, same old deadskins.

aiU5QBOIfrOzbWa6SA.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 21

4 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

It’s amazing how year after year this team finds ways to turn strengths into weaknesses with one swift move. We’re gonna release Montez Sweat next offseason for no reason and you all will use mental gymnastics to justify it.

Not played one down in the 22 season and people already calling RR for his roster moves 🙄

• Haha 6

Moses and Christian........

Anyway, whilst I’m not disappointed with either move, you have to admit the timing was somewhat unexpected. Feels like an aggressive salary cap related move to me. Yes the players may have been identified as being on the bubble, but this is swift action.

Maybe we actively extend Jon Allen and Logan Thomas now. Got to think the Scherff situation is being heavily monitored. Maybe we are freeing up space for a trade move...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In an  organized war against faith and religion the WFT released both the prophet Moses and the Christian yesterday.

In apparently unrelated news the prophet Isaiah (Wright) has a meeting scheduled with coach Rivera next week. He's been asked to bring his playbook with him.

Have mercy on us all.

/p

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

16 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

In an apparent organized war against faith and religion the WFT released the prophet Moses and the Christian yesterday.

Have mercy on us all.

/p

No more parting the Burgundy sea so pass rushers can walk through. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

When evaluating the release of Moses ask yourself one question: If Moses was a free agent would we sign him at his current salary?

A very intersting take from hogshaven.com...

"Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M)."

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

When evaluating the release of Moses ask yourself one question: If Moses was a free agent would we sign him at his current salary?

A very intersting take from hogshaven.com...

"Moses Was Essentially a Free Agent

I had been thinking it to myself, and then OffSeasonOptimist articulated it perfectly in one of the Moses’ threads:

The economic mindset is that if you have a player with little to no dead money on his contract then each year the philosophy is to approach them like a free agent. If Moses was a free agent, would we pay him 7.5 million right now?

With no guaranteed money left on his contract in 2021 (just dead cap from the $1.9M signing bonus left), Moses was indeed, basically a free agent under the team’s control. I suspect that once they looked around and found that a starting left tackle, in Charles Leno, was costing them $5M (or less, we still haven’t seen the contract details), that they determined it wasn’t good value to be paying Moses $2.5M more than that at right tackle. And, I think that determination has been vindicated over the past week or so, as no one else seems interested in paying it either.

This is an incredibly sound way to evaluate players under contract, at or near the end of their guaranteed dollars, and in a year where the cap has taken 10% dip, it’s tough to be a player getting evaluated. At this point, Washington is paying Charles Leno and Cornelius Lucas, combined, what they are saving by releasing Moses ($7.5M)."

Completely agree and the only uneasiness the board is experiencing about it is because we're being confronted with competant decision making and its quite foreign to us all. 

Not overpaying Darby and now moving on from Moses are two things past regimes would have botched but this FO nailed.  

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Yes exactly..thank you..this team should just tank this year...go for the gold...draft the next best.qb coming out of college next year...but I agree..**** this team **** Ron's plan and **** anyone rooting for them. 

• Haha 7

I know I am in a minority of one but part of me sometimes thinks that JoggingGod is just playing a role designed to elicit aggravated responses.

That he's alone typing in Mom's basement, constantly posting ever more absurd statements while having a good belly laugh when we give him the attention he bizarrely craves.

Quite sad actually.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I know I am in a minority of one but part of me sometimes thinks that JoggingGod is just playing a role designed to elicit aggravated responses.

That he's alone typing in Mom's basement, constantly posting ever more absurd statements while having a good belly laugh when we give him the attention he bizarrely craves.

Quite sad actually.

Having spent an entire year listening to people share opinions on the internet I'm not so sure about this. There are a whole lot of people with terrible takes who like to share these terrible takes to the world for some odd reason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As long as we all play the game fair, nothing wrong with vastly differing views.....

Well said!

Civil discourse between those with divergent views is one of the paragon virtues  of humanity.

Unfortunately, it is seemingly becoming rarer by the day. (but that's a subject for another forum)

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

All the moves the RR and Co. have made have been spot on. 

Yeah I don't see why the Moses drill is controversial with some.

A.  They want to start Cosmi.  Ironically we got Leno for the exact same reason from the Bears.  They drafted Jenkins.  They wanted to start him.  it's normal to want to start your high draft picks.  It's part of the reason for the draft.  Get young talent on the cheap.  2nd rounders typically don't ride the bench.  They graded Cosmi as a first rounder so they clearly are high on him.  A national reporter said he was told on that draft day, Cosmi was one of their targets.

B.  Amassing cap space for both this year and next year is good if the bottom line is keeping the young nucelus, signing other FAs, etc.  Moses isn't part of the young nucleus.  Heck the dude talked about considering retiring last year.    Those who say, well why do it now and they don't need the cap savings now.   You basically get double the cap savings by releasing him now versus next year.   About 14 million.  14 million is better than about half of that if we want to keep that young nucelus. 

C.  If Moses stayed the plan would be to have him as the backup.  I doubt that would have gone over well with him so why do it?   I haven't sat down and studied Moses last season.  I know PFF liked him.  Cooley thought Moses had an up and down season and the downs happened more as the season progressed.  I like Moses more than most but he's not a stud.   Playing into his 30s now with a history of injuries (its great he's played through them but he's been banged up) and has openly talked about retirement -- I just don't see how Moses is the guy for the long haul.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 14

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As long as we all play the game fair, nothing wrong with vastly differing views.....

I’m not sure that comparing Jogging’s views to literally anyone else’s is fair. Not the same playing field.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I don't see why the Moses drill is controversial with some.

A.  They want to start Cosmi.  Ironically we got Leno for the exact same reason from the Bears.  They drafted Jenkins.  They wanted to start him.  it's normal to want to start your high draft picks.  It's part of the reason for the draft.  Get young talent on the cheap.  2nd rounders typically don't ride the bench.  They graded Cosmi as a first rounder so they clearly are high on him.  A national reporter said he was told on that draft day, Cosmi was one of their targets.

B.  Amassing cap space for both this year and next year is good if the bottom line is keeping the young nucelus, signing other FAs, etc.  Moses isn't part of the young nucleus.  Heck the dude talked about considering retiring last year.    Those who say, well why do it now and they don't need the cap savings now.   You basically get double the cap savings by releasing him now versus next year.   About 14 million.  14 million better than give or take half of that if we want to keep that young nucelus. 

C.  If Moses stayed the plan would be to have him as the backup.  I doubt that would have gone over well with him so why do it?   I haven't sat down and studied Moses last season.  I know PFF liked him.  Cooley thought Moses had an up and down season and the downs happened more as the season progressed.  I like Moses more than most but he's not a stud.   Playing into his 30s now with a history of injuries (its great he's played through them but he's been banged up) and has openly talked about retirement -- I just don't see how Moses is the guy for the long haul.  

Because people want things to complain about. That’s it. 

Some have reasoned takes that are skeptical. That’s a bit different than the all out pessimism regarding the release of Morgan Moses and Ryan Kerrigan and the team mutually agreeing to move on. There’s zero issue with that.

But pretending we’re doomed because we’re losing Moses is a weird hill to stand on. But, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because people want things to complain about. That’s it. 

Some have reasoned takes that are skeptical. That’s a bit different than the all out pessimism regarding the release of Morgan Moses and Ryan Kerrigan and the team mutually agreeing to move on. There’s zero issue with that.

But pretending we’re doomed because we’re losing Moses is a weird hill to stand on. But, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Agree.   Naturally they are entitled to their opinion.  But yeah I am surprised the Moses one is that controversial and on that front speaking more of talk radio/twitter than here.    This is coming from one of Moses' defenders over the years.  I never loved Moses but I liked him.   Moses has had his critics here.  Both players are classy dudes so wish them the best except when they play us. 😀

Personally, I like the long term thinking (or so it seems) of building cap room.  We are going to need it.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion. I'm not sure anyone is entitled to whatever random spew leaks out of their noise hole. Now, I am not about to advocate any pro-active measures to make them STFU, but there really ought to be some valid meaning to it to rise above the level of background noise. Radical/divergent take + backing it up with substance = useful addition.

We have had spirited disagreement here forever. It is part of ES's charm, and genuinely drives conversations and enlightens. I come here for that specifically because the vast majority come willing and ready to defend their stance.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, carex said:

Geron Christian?

Geron, yes, which is why I didn't mention him. :)

But I believe people like Moses are being allowed to leave or are being released because it is part of Coach Rivera's sweeping old regimes out.

That's not just FO personal. It's coaches and players too. Mostly because you really can't change the culture if you keep too many of the old pieces. The "old guard" that are kind of stuck in thier ways.

Kerrigan is a good example of that. The new coaches saw him in the twilight of his career as a situational pass rusher (ala what Julius Peppers became). Ryan stubbornly saw himself as a still primary starter. He just wanted to just keep doing what he was doing for the last decade.

Set in his ways. He didn't want to do what the new coaches wanted him to do. Now he'll have to do what his new coaches in Philadelphia want him to do because he is the new guy in town. No pull there. He would've never done that here in Washington, where he was the old guard.

Moses may have been the same way. Here a long time, set in his ways, resistant to change from the new coaches. So they let him go.

Sometimes to really change the culture, you really have to clean house. That includes "old guard" players, even if they are still pretty good, who might have chips on their shoulders at the "new" people's ways because of thier long tenure with the team. Players like Kerrigan, Moses, Sudenberg, etc.

If you go over to the "Reboot" thread here:

you will see posts about a secretary who has been with the team almost 30 years that was let go recently. Another example of the sweeping out of the old regimes, the "old guard".

It's hard to let go of people who performed well here, but it may be for all the better in the end. I trust Coach Rivera.

For now. :)

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.   Naturally they are entitled to their opinion.  But yeah I am surprised the Moses one is that controversial and on that front speaking more of talk radio/twitter than here.    This is coming from one of Moses' defenders over the years.  I never loved Moses but I liked him.   Moses has had his critics here.  Both players are classy dudes so wish them the best except when they play us. 😀

Personally, I like the long term thinking (or so it seems) of building cap room.  We are going to need it.    

I’ve always found that Moses has been strongly defended on here over the years. I’ve been on record a few times saying I wasn’t really that keen on him, either play or sometimes vocal nature. That was never well received...:ols:

Have actual specifics on the Leno 5mil deal been released. I wondered if we had added voidable years to drop the cap hit. That’s basically what the Eagles have done on the Kerrigan deal, added 4 voidable years to make the cap hit well under 2mil.

Feels to me like a subsequent move or two is on its way for us. Just the way it looks to me.

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion. I'm not sure anyone is entitled to whatever random spew leaks out of their noise hole. Now, I am not about to advocate any pro-active measures to make them STFU, but there really ought to be some valid meaning to it to rise above the level of background noise. Radical/divergent take + backing it up with substance = useful addition.

We have had spirited disagreement here forever. It is part of ES's charm, and genuinely drives conversations and enlightens. I come here for that specifically because the vast majority come willing and ready to defend their stance.

You describe an ideal utopian setting. And the way it SHOULD work. However, it’s not the way it actually works as you know. So as a group we can shake our heads, let them know they have an odd stance and move on or make a scene and make ourselves look ridiculous.

I choose to former here. 

But you’re not wrong on how it should be.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see Morgan released as I thought this was a year early. I had heard that Cosmi was still a bit under coached and may take time to develop. Moses had one of his better years last year and OT depth was a real strength of this team going into the season, now they are trusting a starting RT position to a guy they have not seen in pads yet and that appears risky.  This was not like Kerrigan, who was not a starter and his contract was up.  I agree he was not in the long term plans, and maybe this was RR purging another player who he didn't feel 100% bought in.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

In an  organized war against faith and religion the WFT released both the prophet Moses and the Christian yesterday.

In apparently unrelated news the prophet Isaiah (Wright) has a meeting scheduled with coach Rivera next week. He's been asked to bring his playbook with him.

Have mercy on us all.

/p

And so it came to pass, that the Washington Atheists were born. 

• Haha 5