Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Sims makes the team this year anyway.

3 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Steve Simms Jr. essentially doing an early d.o.r. rather than grinding through training camp and getting cut late.

Yep.  Both Sims unfortunately.

Keim was clearly talking out of his ass about Charles.  He doesn't know any more about their plans for Charles than we do.

I'd also like to know the real reason why Morgan Moses was cut right before OTAs.

And while we're at it, can we get the real reason that Brandon Scherff hasn't signed a long term deal?

• Like 4

Steven Sims may be on his way out... but Cam Sims is an interesting one. We placed a right of first refusal tender on him this offseason, which means they must like him, but it also means he has a 2mil cap hit and is only under contract for one year. If anything, I think that gives him a disadvantage compared to guys like AGG and Harmon who are under contract for cheaper and longer. He will have to continue to outplay them...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd also like to know the real reason why Morgan Moses was cut right before OTAs.

And while we're at it, can we get the real reason that Brandon Scherff hasn't signed a long term deal?

On Moses: We’re not going to get a straight up answer, but reading between the lines it was pretty clearly just getting younger and cheaper at the position. Moses wasn’t part of the long term plan, and we brought in some younger and/or cheaper guys to replace him, so they’re just moving on now rather than later. Creates more cap flexibility and lets other guys get first team reps. 

On Scherff: They won’t admit it, but I think they’ve moved on from seriously considering a long term deal for Scherff. He doesn’t seem to particularly want to be here long term. And if they have no interest in a 30 year old Morgan Moses for 8mil, I don’t see them being interested in signing 29 year old Scherff long term for what he’s asking for, which is reportedly more like the 18mil per year he’s currently getting on the tag. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

On Moses: We’re not going to get a straight up answer, but reading between the lines it was pretty clearly just getting younger and cheaper at the position. Moses wasn’t part of the long term plan, and we brought in some younger and/or cheaper guys to replace him, so they’re just moving on now rather than later. Creates more cap flexibility and lets other guys get first team reps. 

On Scherff: They won’t admit it, but I think they’ve moved on from seriously considering a long term deal for Scherff. He doesn’t seem to particularly want to be here long term. And if they have no interest in a 30 year old Morgan Moses for 8mil, I don’t see them being interested in signing 29 year old Scherff long term for what he’s asking for, which is reportedly more like the 18mil per year he’s currently getting on the tag. 

Maybe true.  But the difference is Scherff is an All pro.  I would like to keep a 29 year old All pro around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Maybe true.  But the difference is Scherff is an All pro.  I would like to keep a 29 year old All pro around.

They at least thought he was worth the 18mil tag for one year, so clearly they like him as a player. But a long term deal that you can’t get out of if his play goes down hill is a whole different level of commitment. I don’t blame them for being wary of that for a guy his age at a non premium position. I’d rather invest in a QB, or a tackle, or in extending guys like McLaurin and our defensive linemen, personally. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Nah, he's feigning. He's been dead inside since Bill Callahan left. It broke his heart.

:ols:

15 minutes ago, TysonM said:

Fiending.  Feign is 'to represent falsely, pretend to'.  Damn autocorrect?

I got excited and mistakes were made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Rookie wideout Dyami Brown came up with the morning's splashiest play. The North Carolina product was matched up with Troy Apke — who was lined up at corner for this particular snap — on the right set of numbers, and he ended up running a deep route down toward the middle of the field. Taylor Heinicke, who was tasked with taking the second-string reps at QB, lofted a pass 50-plus yards in the air for Brown, who skied for it and ended up bringing it down despite Apke attempting to come over his back for it. Coach Ron Rivera has already pointed multiple times to Brown's ability to convert in contested situations, and that major gain was evidence that Brown does thrive in those spots. Heinicke was sharp throughout the two-hour get-together, by the way.
  •  
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick's aggressiveness was apparent from the jump. The veteran was — and this isn't a shock — not afraid to attack the defense, at times hitting Adam Humphries and Cam Sims for significant chunks. The strike to Sims in particular stood out, with Fitz dropping in a sweet back-shoulder toss that Rivera gushed about in his press conference afterwards. That was a very advanced completion for late-May. 
  •  
  • Let's take attendance... Two extremely notable names were missing from Tuesday's action in Chase Young and Montez Sweat. Afterward, Rivera said the pair of pass rushers had been in touch with assistant coaches, so the boss wasn't that upset about their absences, but he certainly would've preferred to see them in person. Charles Leno Jr. was also not in Ashburn, but his wife just gave birth to their child and he's expected to return soon. Lastly, Steven Sims Jr. wasn't around, either.
  •  
  • Landon Collins, Kyle Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Kelvin Harmon, Saahdiq Charles and Antonio Gandy-Golden were all in uniform as they returned from various injuries that plagued them in 2020. Collins didn't do any 11-on-11 stuff, but he was still active during those portions, standing well behind the safeties to visualize his role and interacting with secondary coach Chris Harris. Allen was third up in the QB rotation and wasn't sheltered in any way. Charles received some reps at tackle to fill in for Leno Jr.
  •  
  • The practice fields themselves were in tremendous shape, despite some recent and heavy rain in the area. In previous years, any precipitation would really damage the playing surface and send the players inside the bubble for indoor work, but Rivera and Co. have made a point of seriously improving the conditions at the franchise's Virginia headquarters and that effort appeared to already pay dividends on Tuesday. There were tons of gnats in the air, though. Billions maybe. Bug spray will be a precious commodity for the next round of OTAs.
  •  
  • Sam Cosmi, the second-rounder who will have a legit chance to replace Morgan Moses at right tackle in 2021, wore No. 62 at rookie minicamp... but is now wearing Moses' old digits, 76. That's cold, even by pro football's chilly standards.
  •  
  • If Tuesday was any indication, Curtis Samuel is going to get his touches in Washington. The ex-Panther was all over the place on offense and coordinator Scott Turner already deployed him in many ways. Samuel, Antonio Gibson and JD McKissic are gonna be a splendid, versatile trio to watch — and a difficult trio to stop. 
  •  
  • Rookie Darrick Forrest had the defensive highlight of the morning, as he snared a deflected pass for an interception in 9-on-9 drills. With the way the entire defense blasted off the sideline to swarm Forrest once the sequence concluded, you would've thought he hauled in a Powerball ticket. That was no doubt a special moment for him.
  • Lastly, Tuesday was a bit of a rough outing for Sammis Reyes, which is fine, because he's at the absolute beginning of his career in the sport. But still, he had a few notable mistakes, including coming in motion at the wrong time pre-snap (Heinicke had to send him back) and an unfortunate drop on a well-thrown dart that would've resulted in a first down. Fitzpatrick was impressed by Reyes' athleticism and physique, though, which is a worthwhile thing to relay, since Fitzpatrick has seen his fair share of gifted athletes since entering the league.
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 5