Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Doubt this happens but if it did...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-exploring-salary-cap-significance-june-1-trade-possibilities-most-affected-2021-julio-jones

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM S/LB LANDON COLLINS

Hypothetical Trade: Landon Collins → Detroit Lions for 2022 4th

Condition: Washington converts $6 million of Collins’ 2021 salary into a signing bonus 

Pre-June 1 dead money: $13,800,000
Pre-June 1 cap savings: $3,118,750

Post-June 1 dead money: $4,200,000
Post-June 1 cap savings: $12,718,750

Difference in 2021 cap savings: $9,600,000

Hypothetical trade post-June 1 dead money: $5,700,000
Hypothetical trade post-June 1 cap savings: $6,705,882

The Washington Football Team are clearly undergoing a complete overhaul of their roster with new head coach Ron Rivera and front-office executives Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney. They recently released longtime T Morgan Moses, who was coming off a season in which he was PFF’s sixth-highest-graded right tackle (80.7).

Rivera cited a desire to get younger players on the field as the reasoning behind the team moving on from Moses, presumably referring to second-round pick T Samuel Cosmi, among others. The same should in theory be true at other positions. 2020 seventh-round S Kamren Curl filled in for the injured Landon Collins remarkably well, recording PFF’s top coverage grade among rookie safeties (69.6). The upshot strong safety out of Arkansas is owed as much cash over the next three seasons on his rookie contract as Collins is set to earn over the first four weeks of the 2021 season.

There also appears to be a bit of a disconnect between Rivera and Collins about his potential role in 2021, with Collins laughing at the notion he may play some snaps at linebacker, and Rivera not finding it particularly funny.

It may be a challenge to convince anyone to take on Collins’ substantial contract at this point, especially with a completely dormant market at safety that has Collins still among the five highest-paid players at the position two years after signing his six-year, $84 million mega-deal. This is why our hypothetical trade includes Washington agreeing to pay $6 million in 2021 salary as a bonus prior to executing the trade, roughly half of Collins’ $12.5 million 2021 salary. Six million dollars is the same amount Washington saved via the Dolphins converting salary to a bonus when they traded G Ereck Flowers back to the Football Team after his lone season in Miami.

The Lions’ safety unit ranked 28th in PFF grade in 2020, with a collective 55.2 overall mark. They were by far the worst group in terms of expected points allowed per play into their coverage (.338), making them the only unit above .250 in the NFL and one of just three units above .200.

From 2018-19, Collins's 28 tackles for loss or no gain led all safeties, six clear of the next best safety (Jamal Adams). He’s not an excellent coverage safety, but he’d provide a massive upgrade to a poor position group while serving as the hard-hitting box player who head coach Dan Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn — the defensive backs coach in New Orleans when the team drafted Vonn Bell in the second round — are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doubt this happens but if it did...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-exploring-salary-cap-significance-june-1-trade-possibilities-most-affected-2021-julio-jones

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM S/LB LANDON COLLINS

Hypothetical Trade: Landon Collins → Detroit Lions for 2022 4th

Condition: Washington converts $6 million of Collins’ 2021 salary into a signing bonus 

Pre-June 1 dead money: $13,800,000
Pre-June 1 cap savings: $3,118,750

Post-June 1 dead money: $4,200,000
Post-June 1 cap savings: $12,718,750

Difference in 2021 cap savings: $9,600,000

Hypothetical trade post-June 1 dead money: $5,700,000

Hypothetical trade post-June 1 cap savings: $6,705,882

If they could manage a (probably very high) fourth round pick AND get rid of that albatross of a contract at the same time, I'd chip in myself to help get Collins to the airport..   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The timing of the Moses release is still curious to me. Seems much better to wait until camp to see if they really have a capable alternative at RT. I know we drafted Cosmi, but he's still an unknown at this point. He was a solid player for us. I trust Ron, but the timing just seems odd.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

The timing of the Moses release is still curious to me. Seems much better to wait until camp to see if they really have a capable alternative at RT. I know we drafted Cosmi, but he's still an unknown at this point. He was a solid player for us. I trust Ron, but the timing just seems odd.

Right after Matsko had an up close look at Cosmi, right? Seems like a reasonable time in that sense, particularly if there is internal confidence in Lucas. 

2 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

If they could manage a (probably very high) fourth round pick AND get rid of that albatross of a contract at the same time, I'd chip in myself to help get Collins to the airport..   

Yeah...still seems wishful thinking to get anything at this point. 

I still think 2021 then cut, which is what would have happened this year if he didn't get injured. 

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Originally it was the titans but I just seen a report that the Seahawks are now favorites to get him.

I don't see the fit with the Seahawks. Ravens makes sense, and the Titans more likely. 

The Titans would have to restructure multiple deals to make it happen, and that is not in their nature, but the deals can be done. Giving players the money now and raising the dead cap in later years is a risk, but this would be their "go for it" moment. 

He's been practicing with Henry. Tannehill has always been great with ball placement for receivers. Corey Davis and Humphries are out, and they lost talent at TE. 

To me, seems like a great fit. 

The GM will have to agree with me that this is their window - dealing the picks and making cap space is worth it. This is the move to get them to a SB. 

Edited by Silvernon
For clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

I don't see the fit with the Seahawks. Ravens makes sense, and the Titans more likely. 

The Titans would have to restructure multiple deals to make it happen, and that is not in their nature, but the deals can be done. Giving players the money now and raising the dead cap in later years is a risk, but this would be their "go for it" moment. 

He's been practicing with Henry. Tannehill has always been great with ball placement for receivers. Corey Davis and Humphries are out, and they lost talent at TE. 

To me, seems like a great fit. 

The GM will have to agree with me that this is their window - dealing the picks and making cap space is worth it. This is the move to get them to a SB. 

Your looking wayyyyyy to far into it...wanna bet $10?..I say he goes to seattle...you say titans...winner gets $10

17 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I feel like this is the best off-season we have had in the last 30 years. No Homer.

You're right. Depending on whether we count Keenan McCardell as part of grading our draft, 

since other teams mostly benefited from his play.

30 years ago, this was our draft.

I'm sure, back in 91, ESers were like, "Who is this McCardell fellow ? Oh well, it doesn't matter. He's a 12th Rounder, so he won't even make the roster. Probably won't even be around when they make the final cuts"

1991 Draft

170px-McCardell_with_Fan_%28cropped%29.j

Round Pick Overall Name Position College
1 17 17 Bobby Wilson DT Michigan State
3 21 76 Ricky Ervins RB Southern California
6 20 159 Dennis Ransom TE Texas A&M
7 21 188 Keith Cash TE Texas
8 20 215 Jimmy Spencer DB Florida
9 20 243 Charles Bell DB Baylor
10 20 270 Cris Shale P Bowling Green
11 21 299 David Gulledge S Jacksonville State
12 20 326 Keenan McCardell WR Nevada-Las Vegas
Edited by Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Julio and AJ is a sick combo...

As sick as Terry and julio?...I'll let all you nerds(not calling you a nerd cowboy killa)bash me for the numbers game...aka he would be to much we only have so much money yadda yadda nerd talk yadda ..at the end of the day I look at what his(julio jones)talent would provide and I think him and fitz would have balled out here..and to me I think we could have offered something like that but if it's not part of Ron's plan I respect it..I'm by far from upset we weren't in on the julio sweepstakes..I truly trust what we have coming in...buuuut man oh man..I can day dream of what it could have been haha..

On 6/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, Riggo-toni said:

Lord, Casserly was AWFUL.

And Norvo the Clown cut Keenan McCardell, Rich Gannon, and Frank Wychek to make room for Heath Shuler, and the washed up Cowboy TE (Harper, I think).

Frank Wycheck was a skin at one time?

• Like 1