Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This was leaked, not announced by the team, which I would take to mean they’ve  already attempted and struck out at getting the value they wish they could get, and things are pretty much wrapping up for a late round pick or with a release. We’re hearing about it for the first time, which makes it feel as if it’s just beginning, but in reality it’s almost over, and after chatter around the league it leaked. And once it leaked the local guys look into it and confirm or let loose the things they already were keeping close to the vest. 

In short, advertising his potential release isn’t losing us trade value—his potential release is now leaked precisely because we aren’t getting offered any trade value and the saga is ending. 

Yep, totally get it and you’re right. “Announced” was the wrong choice of words. But I guess what I was getting at is this is basically admitting we aren’t expecting to get much for him in a trade and just need him gone. 

So that means it isn’t about flipping a guy to get some value for him. It’s either purely financial (which I suppose I could see the logic of, but it’s a risk), or it’s because Morgan is forcing his way out, which would suck. 

I've seen Keim get terse on twitter but I'd add i've seen him get abused a lot on twitter where people can be brutal so that might lend to the testiness.  He gets slammed by fans fairly regularly.  Heck even on the board on occasion i see when I post stuff from Keim, while some are interested on that gossip from Keim some on occasion get upset and testy about it. 

As for why fans get testy about it based on what I observed it's usually a shoot the messenger component to it where they don't like what Keim is sharing and they'd prefer it wasn't true so they challenge the veracity of it or they think he's breaking some major confidence that hurts the team.

I've heard Keim talk about it some in radio interviews.  He more or less he is very confident in what he shares because he tries to get multiple sources on it and protecting his sources is important to him so he's typically not sharing information that would make the FO upset.  But as a guy who tracks his twitter feed often he gets an interesting ride from fans -- most love to know what he knows and gobbles it up but there also seems to be a consistent minority that tells him off. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Keim is a trustworthy and honest ESPN WFT beat reporter for the Skins.   He supposed to be and has to be, IMO to keep his job and try and stay on top of what his does.  He like everyone else has to have thick skin (no pun intended) to do the kind of job he does.  He get's cranky and spews on tweeters at times.  When he does, as a professional he should try and recognize it and call it out, apologize and move on.  Totally up to him.  It's the profession he chose.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Makes the most sense at this point as Tyler has stated.  

I think agents do everyone a disservice with their leaking. They sit back in the shadows while the player and the team gets villainized. So now we hear that Morgan didn't ask for a trade. This off the news that the team gave him permission to seek one. He's got 2 years left on his contract, right? So that together would spin the story to sound like Morgan is unhappy and wants to get the **** out. A Trent situation, right? Interesting ****, right? But I believe his agent leaked. John Keim confirmed it to save face and is probably pissed that it broke like it did. I also don't think the team or Morgan wanted this out. 

I actually think this what is happening:

First off, Ron has said many times that he's looking to create competition and position flex. They did that by bringing in competent (relatively speaking) linemen to compete on the offensive line. That includes RT. There is a possibility that Morgan could lose the position based on what happens in practice. He may not. But its perfectly legit and is suppose to happen if you are looking to have the best players on Sunday, regardless of contract (another Ron philosophy). Maybe his agent is getting ahead of things just in case Masko deems another blocker as a better fit. I don't think Moses would be cut. I just don't think his agent wants to risk Moses not winning the job and/or being a swing tackle. I don't think money is anywhere near prevalent in this situation. Like Kerrighan, Moses may lose playing time. His agent is looking out for him, all be it hardball-ish IMO.   

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Thanks 1

I see talks that there isn't room for Julio Jones and his contract with Falcons. I know he's injury prone but he has a few good years left and I think he could put this offense over the top. Would you trade say Matt Ion and Moses for Julio? Really wouldn't hurt our offensive or Defensive lines and would give us another huge weapon on offense. 

If this wasn’t meant to leak then we ****ed up majorly. Given how tight lipped the organization has been since Rivera has been here I don’t believe that’s likely. 

Edited to added you don’t “give someone permission to seek a trade” and not expect it will get out. 

Edited by terpfan

14 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

I see talks that there isn't room for Julio Jones and his contract with Falcons. I know he's injury prone but he has a few good years left and I think he could put this offense over the top. Would you trade say Matt Ion and Moses for Julio? Really wouldn't hurt our offensive or Defensive lines and would give us another huge weapon on offense. 

lol that ain't happening

35 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

The point of the Falcons trading Jones would be to clear cap space which they have little of, not replace it with two other contracts that would still leave them in the same situation.  

• Like 2

I don't feel this is a move for a better team next year, but a gamble for the team year after next.  

However, why spend $18M on a guard this year, when cutting a $8M tackle with basically the same questionable future?

What if Cosmi isn't an NFL level player?  

Shuffling the Oline with new pieces is an odd choice, considering there has been Zero plays practiced with the new pieces.

🤔

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I don't feel this is a move for a better team next year, but a gamble for the team year after next.  

However, why spend $18M on a guard this year, when cutting a $8M tackle with basically the same questionable future?

Shuffling the Oline with new pieces is an odd choice, considering there has been Zero plays practiced with the new pieces.

🤔

Yeah I agree with this take. Determining that Scherff is worth 18 mil but Moses isn’t worth 9.6 mil (<$8M after dead cap) is interesting to say the least. 

Edited by terpfan

I think this Moses stuff is being done to free up cap space for Jon Allen's newcontract, which Kekm said is close to done I believe. They are making sure they can keep the core of the defense together. As far as Scherfs tag... well I don't know what they were thinking. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terpfan said:

Except the guy who’s essentially replacing him (Leno) is basically the same age. This appears to be more about money than youth. 

We're resigning Allen with the saved money. It'll be time to resign our Dline, so we supplement our Oline with cheap FAs, while we reload the youth on rookie contracts there.

• Like 1

Realistically there is very little chance WFT gets anything back for Moses unless there are several major tackle injuries late in the pre-season. We just signed an above avg LT for 5mil a year.. nobody is going to be excited about paying an avg RT 8mil per year. It still makes sense to wait it out and its even better if he doesnt show to OTAs since:

1. it will give other tackles the necessary reps

2. it will keep him healthy in case a trade does happen

3. if skins get unlucky and have a major starting tackle inj, they can slot Moses right in and pay his salary this year. 8mil is not bad for a starting tackle that already knows the playbook and can step right in.

43 minutes ago, The Rook said:

🤔

I think you have to look at it as the team being fluid throughout the off-season based on what was out there at what point in time and who might be available in the draft. 

Flowers was acquired by trade right before the draft.  They draft Cosmi in round two and then Leno gets released right after the draft which gives them another OT option at a reduced price.

Schreff signed his franchise tender back in March so they're stuck with that $18M right now unless he's traded which will be hard to do unless Schreff and a team could get a contract extension agreed to before the July deadline.  That leaves Moses as the only option to move out to free up space.  

If they'd known back in March they could get Flowers, Cosmi and Leno at the price they did, maybe they don't franchise Schreff, let him walk and save that $18M.  Or maybe they would have moved on from both.  But at that time they had to keep what they had in hand.  

• Like 3

So, trying to recap the last few pages, mostly from Keim via SIP ( who said that he was told some of this. ( Keim, not SIP 🙂 )).

Leno was signed to start at LT.

We didn't draft Cosmi in the second just to sit; so Cosmi is pencilled in at RT

He also hinted that Cosmi could possibly switch to LT in 2022.

Charles Is. A. Guard.

Moses is being released ( traded? ) to free up some cap space to extend some players, starting with Allen ( which he thinks happens soon ).

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 4