Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

40 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Make them pay.  All of them. They can beg for leniency at their sentencing hearings.

Seems as reasonable a take as any other I can come up with. 

I just keep oscillating between this, and wondering if at some point there’s an overreach that becomes counter productive. 

but it’s hard to pull too hard on the second thought when it’s hard to see how any approach is productive or how we could ever get through to these people...

It’s a complicated situation. Hard to pick what to prioritize and hard to remove bias and be objective and figure out what is best moving forward. 

I have the same problem with the 140-whatever congressional members that voted against the EC. Throwing them out of congress seems like the obvious answer. But... that’s not exactly going to help the situation. It’s likely to push their supporters more towards the idea their country has been stolen from then. 

but it’s hard to figure out what obligation we have to accommodate their ignorance. If we were talking about something g small (like maybe a persons financial well being or something) then I have no problem jumping all over them for it. But we’re talking about the possibility of a civil war (not to be too over dramatic about it all) and there’s a small piece of me that wonders if using a hammer as the tool to solve this problem isn’t as awesome sounding as it may seem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Seems as reasonable a take as any other I can come up with. 

I just keep oscillating between this, and wondering if at some point there’s an overreach that becomes counter productive. 

but it’s hard to pull too hard on the second thought when it’s hard to see how any approach is productive or how we could ever get through to these people...

It’s a complicated situation. Hard to pick what to prioritize and hard to remove bias and be objective and figure out what is best moving forward. 

I have the same problem with the 140-whatever congressional members that voted against the EC. Throwing them out of congress seems like the obvious answer. But... that’s not exactly going to help the situation. It’s likely to push their supporters more towards the idea their country has been stolen from then. 

but it’s hard to figure out what obligation we have to accommodate their ignorance. If we were talking about something g small (like maybe a persons financial well being or something) then I have no problem jumping all over them for it. But we’re talking about the possibility of a civil war (not to be too over dramatic about it all) and there’s a small piece of me that wonders if using a hammer as the tool to solve this problem isn’t as awesome sounding as it may seem. 

It isn't complicated for me.  A line was crossed.  A profound, nation-threatening line.  Reconciliation is NOT an option until those responsible are held accountable.  Period.  And that includes those leaders who perpetrated the Big Lie to assuage the ego of a sociopath - that sociopath himself - all the way down to those who thought they were on a lark and strolled past the tear gas and into the U.S. Capitol after their fellow riot-goers violently attacked U.S. Capitol Police officers.

Make them pay. All of them.  And only then we can talk about reconciliation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You HAVE to prosecute the rioters.  Not prosecuting sends a message to (1) the rioters and their supporters that they are allowed to do this kind of thing, and so they'll do this kind of thing (and worse) constantly going forward, (2) non-white people that white people are, in fact, above the law and a different class of citizen than they are (3) people that did not vote for Trump that their votes don't matter, violence and threats of violence matter, which will encourage many non-Trump supporters adopt similar tactics and (4) all Americans that the rule of law is a "sometimes" thing that may or not apply in any given circumstance.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Boebert hearings will be must watch tv.  Can someone explain to me the process for removing a member of Congress from their seat?

2/3 majority can vote to expel. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You HAVE to prosecute the rioters.  Not prosecuting sends a message to (1) the rioters and their supporters that they are allowed to do this kind of thing, and so they'll do this kind of thing (and worse) constantly going forward, (2) non-white people that white people are, in fact, above the law and a different class of citizen than they are (3) people that did not vote for Trump that their votes don't matter, violence and threats of violence matter, which will encourage many non-Trump supporters adopt similar tactics and (4) all Americans that the rule of law is a "sometimes" thing that may or not apply in any given circumstance.  

2/3 majority can vote to expel. 

Both sides?

1 hour ago, tshile said:

@Cooked Crack

that story of the no regrets guy is kind of what I was talking about Friday night and some people I’m personally aware of (friends of friend, no one i am directly friends with)

that is - people that were there to just see what was happening. Then make a stupid mistake that creates a picture that makes them look like one of “them” when they really weren’t. 

i don’t know where we draw the line between someone like that and the terrorists. And I don’t even know what side of the line the no regrets guy should be put on (he entered the Capitol... I have a huge problem with that even if he wasn’t there initially to storm the Capitol... and ultimately (supposedly) only posed for a dumb picture and smoked a joint)

but I know of other people that should not be placed on the side of the line with the terrorists. 

but I fear they might be. 

and I’m not exactly heart broken over it. And to some degree it’s a matter of accepting responsibility for your actions. 

but I am concerned we will go after some people in ways that we shouldn’t. 

it’s a conflicting situation. I fear we will go after anyone we have evidence of anything and maybe not evaluate it all with the nuance we should. Especially the public where one picture gets released and that person is immediately labeled and you can never undo that. 

“I’m coming after you” “everybody’s coming after you”

I don’t know. I understand your point. 

I feel like an elected leader should be held to a high standard when they use language like that and then this happens....

I had the thought the other night that they should charge everyone that they can prove entered the capitol with felony murder (or accessory to, or whatever the applicable law is).  Then have them plead guilty to the lesser charges in return for the murder charge being dropped.  Would save a ton of court time.  Of course, I’m only talking about the numbskulls walking around and taking selfies.  If you were at the front of the line, assaulting officers, or even chanting “hang Mike Pence” (and entered the capitol), that’s a different story.

• Thanks 1

Why hasn't Robert Keith Packer been arrested yet? He's the terrorist photographed in and around the U.S. Capitol wearing a "Camp Auschwitz" sweat shirt.  He has been positively identified, along with his place of residence.  If he is in hiding, add unlawful flight to avoid prosecution to his list of charges. And then send the U.S. Marshals to arrest him. Try him. Convict him.  Sentence him.  Imprison him.

Here's the evidence of his participation in the insurrection:

Trespassing on Capitol grounds beyond the barricades:

robert-keith-packer.jpg

Inside the U.S. Capitol with co-conspirators:

210110174435-rioter-camp-auschwitz-sweatshirt-screengrab-super-tease.jpg

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Did the Nashville guy's (Eric Munchel)  mom get arrested too?  He is the guy walking around with zip ties.  His mom accompanied him inside.

If the mom hasn't been arrested, why not???

Her name is Lisa Eisenhart.  She is 57 years old.

NINTCHDBPICT000629991640.jpg?w=620

She was quoted as saying “I’d rather die as a 57-year-old woman than live under oppression. I’d rather die and would rather fight.”

Can't find anything that says she was arrested.  Make her pay for her crime. 

BTW, notice the firearm on the hip of her son.  Add that charge to his list of crimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, tshile said:

The video of the police officers being drug into and through the crowd is... I don’t know how to describe how it makes me feel. A lot of things. 

It kind of gives me the warm fuzzies. I obviously don’t support the Tя☭mp thugs, but it’s SO hard to avoid the schadenfreude when so many of their own supported and continue to support the ones dragging the cops through the crowd.

13 hours ago, spjunkies said:

That moment when somebody realizes the “fraternity” doesn’t really include them.

45 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Lol. Your four points are exactly what Tя☭mp has been telling everyone going back to the Obama birther days and what he got elected on. Twice almost. The country been sending the same message for hundreds of years now. I’m not saying the terrorists shouldn’t be prosecuted, but rather that it’s not going to do much, if anything to change the narrative and facts on the ground on any of your points. The only thing that can is what the Biden administration does about making things fairer and more transparent in the future, to include really harsh crackdowns when the inevitable fascist backlash happens. If he punks out and maybe even if he doesn’t, we’ll return to the Tя☭mp-style trajectory to fascism pretty quickly four years from now.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm having a hard time seeing a lot of members of Congress who were huddled in fear not voting for her removal.  

140 of them, after huddling, voted to use the power of their office to make the rioter's conspiracy theories look like they had a basis in reality.  

• Sad 2

I still am getting a kick out of all the conservatives ON TWITTER claiming how conservative voices are being censored on twitter as if it's almost obvious that anyone not purposely spreading disinformation and/or inciting riots are perfectly fine to continue using the platform regardless of their politics???  The purposeful dishonesty knows no bounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

She was quoted as saying “I’d rather die as a 57-year-old woman than live under oppression. I’d rather die and would rather fight.”

BTW, notice the firearm on the hip of her son.  Add that charge to his list of crimes.

From what I can gather she hasn't been arrested. Otherwise, I think it would be reported. If they were living together, why wasn't she arrested along with this guy?

36 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

What oppression is she claiming to live under?

• Haha 1